Now I see why people are upset about not getting the Cruise Compass

I signed into the app and selected the current Oasis itinerary so I could see what activities to expect on my sailing next week.  There is no mention of Aqua80 or Cats (not that I’m planning to go) in the app. I’m pretty sure they didn’t cancel them both for an entire sailing. There are so many other activities and shows listed but, how is one to know when the main shows are if they don’t appear in the app and they don’t give you a daily Cruise Compass? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Happy New Cruiser said:

There are so many other activities and shows listed but, how is one to know when the main shows are if they don’t appear in the app and they don’t give you a daily Cruise Compass? 

The app may be a bit more complete on board - also, don't trust all the talk of folks not getting a Compass.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The app may be a bit more complete on board - also, don't trust all the talk of folks not getting a Compass.

This. On my recent B2B, the app for my 2nd leg wasn't even fully updated until TAD.

As for the compass, just ask your cabin attendant to give you one each night if he/she doesn't automatically. On Harmony 5/29, they appeared as they always have. On Indy, I had to ask and it was delivered nightly after that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I wonder if Royal is hearing enough complaints that they are rethinking eliminating the Compass.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

How far out is your cruise?

I sail next week so I thought this week would give me a good idea of what to expect. 

I am glad to hear the schedule is more complete on board. I just assumed I was seeing the same thing that those on board were seeing.

I actually am somewhat in support of having it all be digital just to conserve all the paper.  I just don’t understand why they don’t take the suggestion of many on these boards and make a PDF version of the Cruise Compass. Then everything will be included in one place and it can still be digital. 

• Like 4

I just got off of Oasis last week. The shows that you have to reserve will not appear until you’re onboard and connected to the ship’s wifi. You do not need to pay for the wifi—it will be free to use with the app. This is as designed so no one can reserve anything until they’re onboard. But, trust me, they’ll be there as soon as you connect on board.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I wonder if Royal is hearing enough complaints that they are rethinking eliminating the Compass.

Available for those 65 and over every night on the Easter Anthem sail.  However, my son who had a cabin next to mine was not getting them.  I'm assuming that Royal thinks that seniors are not tech savvy.😀

• Haha 5

Not sure if I had a senior moment, but when i checked in on the APP it did not request passport data.  I only noticed the omission as I used my laptop to check on the status of my C shot upload and noticed the omission.  Still waiting for the approval of my vaccine data.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Available for those 65 and over every night on the Easter Anthem sail.  However, my son who had a cabin next to mine was not getting them.  I'm assuming that Royal thinks that seniors are not tech savvy.😀

I honestly dont want the paper compass. I use the online version in the app. 

Is the reason they keep giving it to me even though I ask them not to because I'm over 65? I've wondered. I just throw it away. Everything I want to see is in the app. Ive cruised enough I got the app down pat. .. I'll try again next time to get them to stop, but havent had much luck. I assume they do it for a extra tip and think I want the extra service. 

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Not quite there but funny thing is I got them on my April/May Cruises but my Daughter and Grand Daughter Cabin did not... 

Last two cruises I received a separate survey specifically about the app.  If you spend a lot of time you can often find some of the information in the app, like LA hours, but you have to dig for it.  

I suggested they put the PDF of the cruise compass in the app itself with the ability to pinch and zoom so you can read everything.  If the actual cruise compass was available in the app that would work for me and I'd be happy eliminating the paper version.   Suggested the same for menus - actual menu images instead of the text only versions of the menu.  There is something about looking at an actual menu compared to the text only menu currently in the app.

Otherwise the app is a massive technology fail.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Diver2014 said:

There was a small card on the desk in our cabin the first day asking if we wanted to receive the Cruise Compass.  I wrote "YES" on it and our room steward put one on our bed each evening.

I really like the idea of a small card to indicate that you want the compass. It would be great if there were a few other common requests listed and space to add anything else. We typically want one extra pillow and may need a few more hangers; with the room stewards being very busy on turnaround day this would be easier than trying to track them down or leave a message. I know we can just leave a note, but it feels like it would be easier for everyone to have a common method.

• Like 2

We had to ask for paper on our last three in May. Our steward said they were advised only to deliver when requested as they were trying to reduce paper - that earlier comment by soremekun made me lol. We regularly refer to the app as the "Royal crApp" as it's terrible...

2 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

5 cruises since November (latest last week), we received daily Compass in our room every evening every week EXCEPT Allure in March, and even then they were available on the racks at GS. 

I have grown fond of many of the aspects of the APP onboard the more I have used it. I especially like the reminders that you can set for the things you may like to attend throughout the day. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

We've had the Compass, and paper menus, given to us automatically on both our cruises this year. Cruise Compass has been available in a rack near Guest Services each day, as well.

And I found it interesting that we did not receive any spa/excursion/art paper at all. Yay!

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

2 hours ago, Happy New Cruiser said:

I signed into the app and selected the current Oasis itinerary so I could see what activities to expect on my sailing next week.  There is no mention of Aqua80 or Cats (not that I’m planning to go) in the app. I’m pretty sure they didn’t cancel them both for an entire sailing. There are so many other activities and shows listed but, how is one to know when the main shows are if they don’t appear in the app and they don’t give you a daily Cruise Compass? 

What biker said is right.  Somethings only showed up once I was connected to the ships network.

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Not quite there but funny thing is I got them on my April/May Cruises but my Daughter and Grand Daughter Cabin did not... 

Apparently your cabin steward thought you were really really old 🙂 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

5 cruises since November (latest last week), we received daily Compass in our room every evening every week EXCEPT Allure in March, and even then they were available on the racks at GS. 

I have grown fond of many of the aspects of the APP onboard the more I have used it. I especially like the reminders that you can set for the things you may like to attend throughout the day. 

I think the reminders is the best feature.  I used it every day onboard.

• Thanks 1