Lanyards

grammi

It’s been a few years since we last cruised. I remember last time there was some that looked down on the use of Lanyards for sea passes.   Are lanyards now passé or are keys/seapasses handled differently in recent years?  

My DH just asked where his key holder is from 6 years ago because he wants to make sure he doesn’t forget it. 

Love mine, have several with plastic holders, and always have it with me onboard the ship. Even the stateroom door card readers work with the card still in the holder.  I do though take it off after leaving the ship at a port.  

I saw plenty of lanyards on my recent cruise, though I don't use one myself as I'd rather keep my keycard securely in my pocket.  The only time I ever saw lanyard users looked down upon was on Disney, where a certain subset of the passengers seem to use their lanyard as a way to brag about all their previous cruises (i.e. using the platinum Castaway Club lanyard, putting pins on from previous cruises, etc.).

• Haha 1

As the key cards already have a hole punched in them, I find it easier to use a lanyard.  Hang them on a magnetic hook near the door so we almost have to walk through them when leaving the room.  So much easier than heading to the front desk to ask for the door to be opened after we forgot to take the keys with us.

Who cares what people think?  They don't do it very often 😉

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

As the key cards already have a hole punched in them, I find it easier to use a lanyard.  Hang them on a magnetic hook near the door so we almost have to walk through them when leaving the room.  So much easier than heading to the front desk to ask for the door to be opened after we forgot to take the keys with us.

Yes, this. ^^^

• Like 1

I have never used a lanyard.  I have a shirt pocket sized leather case that has two sides in its interior.  I used one side for the key card and the other for the Beverage Card that I bought on board.  This is the third of that type that I have had.  The previous two were vinyl.  The current one was provided for being a Grand World Cruise guest by HAL.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

After being locked out of my room and waiting in line at Guest Services (fortunately at 11:00 PM) wearing only pajama bottoms, my lanyard (with few exceptions) stays around my neck until my feet go under the covers at bedtime.

I wear my Cruise Critic lanyard, won in the CC raffle a few years ago.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Love my lanyards for travel! I switched to a larger plastic sleeve for holding my vax card for awhile. Now they don't seem to be shown all as much.

At the beginning of the pandemic, several cruise lines (I think MSC was one) moved to bracelets instead of keycards. One function was contact tracing--so it was always known where you were and who you might have been around. I didn't cruise on a ship that had those--but guessing that at least the contact tracing function has been eliminated.

I did switch to a curly bracelet (like the old phone cords) for a bit. They kind of got in the way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

After being locked out of my room and waiting in line at Guest Services (fortunately at 11:00 PM) wearing only pajama bottoms, my lanyard (with few exceptions) stays around my neck until my feet go under the covers at bedtime.

Okay, I have to ask.......where were you going to outside your cabin with only PJ bottoms on when you forgot said keycard?   

😉

~Nancy

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

14 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Okay, I have to ask.......where were you going to outside your cabin with only PJ bottoms on when you forgot said keycard?   

😉

~Nancy

While pushing my luggage into the hallway on the eve of disembarkation, my foot holding the door open slipped and the door latched. Lesson learned was never allow the lanyard and stateroom key to leave my neck except while in bed.

I learned one of the downsides of traveling solo......nobody has another stateroom key to let you back in the room. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

No lanyards, but a small bag the size of my telephone and I join the keycard. And I would refuse wearing bracelets for identification too; all of this reminds me the cattle ID's in our country. 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crew News said:

While pushing my luggage into the hallway on the eve of disembarkation, my foot holding the door open slipped and the door latched. Lesson learned was never allow the lanyard and stateroom key to leave my neck except while in bed.

I learned one of the downsides of traveling solo......nobody has another stateroom key to let you back in the room. 

I always twist the lock on the door to the locked position if that makes sense while the door is open.  That prevents it from shutting and locking.  That said, I don’t wear my pj’s anywhere outside my cabin including putting my luggage out 😛.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

I just open the door and leave it right there. I never step outside my cabin. I don't have the need to line it up against the hall wall. I almost never leave my cabin after I put the luggage out, so it's not in the way for anyone.

Obviously there are situations that don't work for this method, but if you're a lady and traveling solo, you definitely think of ways to avoid being stuck outside your stateroom in your "sleeping costume".

I circumvent the lanyard-dissers quite simply.  I use a retractable-reel one that clips to the waistband of my pants.  My top covers it so it is not visible as I travel through the ship.  Has a plastic pouch so I don't need to remove the key card to use it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dobiemom said:

I use my phone as a camera and I’m so afraid of dropping it (esp. overboard!). I now have my phone on a lanyard. 

I use something similar.  This one is convenient as its snug enough for me to be able to slip my card in the back. I always have my phone/camera/navigator app with me with my card tucked safely away and within easy access. 😊

image.png

Edited by TwinMommyByGrace
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TwinMommyByGrace said:

I use something similar.  This one is convenient as its snug enough for me to be able to slip my card in the back. I always have my phone/camera/navigator app with me with my card tucked safely away and within easy access. 😊

image.png

I like that! Nice when you aren't doing a cruise with a lot of beach time.

Can you provide the link?

Edited by seaoma
  • Like 1

Some years back I was daily wearing my phone in a water"proof" case around my neck, and my cardkey on a lanyard, and the key kept losing its ability to open the door. Service Desk would tell me it was the phone; I didn't believe them but when I wore pants with a pocket, no key lanyard, sure enough it stopped having its memory wiped.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I always twist the lock on the door to the locked position if that makes sense while the door is open

I have learned to do this.

22 hours ago, Crew News said:

After being locked out of my room

Happened to me a couple of times when I forgot to transfer my key card from what I was wearing to what I now was wearing.  Once, your situation was what I experienced except I was wearing my bath robe (the night before debarkation).  Embarrassing.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Some years back I was daily wearing my phone in a water"proof" case around my neck, and my cardkey on a lanyard, and the key kept losing its ability to open the door. Service Desk would tell me it was the phone; I didn't believe them but when I wore pants with a pocket, no key lanyard, sure enough it stopped having its memory wiped.

I think that used to be the case.  I have my phone by the key card quite often now and it doesn’t seem to do that anymore or I’ve  been lucky.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I used to slip my card key inside my Kindle case, then I discovered the hard way that the magnet clasp of the case made my card key inoperable.

• Like 1