Keeping in touch with friends

Diver1957

On HAL, you don't need a phone plan -- if you have a smart phone, you can log on to Navigator and exchange text-like messages. But you and the friends have to go look because no beeping or buzzing. (Think how that would impact everyone around everyone anywhere on the ship!) 

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

call their cabin from your cabin  I think they still have phones in the ships cabins

Then make plans to meet at certain times/places

We usually just agree to meet friends  in the bar or  near the gangway if we are going ashore together

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crystalspin said:

On HAL, you don't need a phone plan -- if you have a smart phone, you can log on to Navigator and exchange text-like messages. But you and the friends have to go look because no beeping or buzzing. (Think how that would impact everyone around everyone anywhere on the ship!) 

They have a similar friends/family texting service on the Carnival and Princess Apps -- and like HAL, no wifi plan needed.  

6 hours ago, Diver1957 said:

Just wondering what everyone uses to find friends onboard 

if no one has phone plans.

What did people do before cell phones ? I have always been able to find friends on board.My phone goes into the safe and does not come out till the last day of the cruise.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

What did people do before cell phones ? I have always been able to find friends on board.My phone goes into the safe and does not come out till the last day of the cruise.

So then tell us how you locate your friends.

32 minutes ago, mom says said:

So then tell us how you locate your friends.

The same way that I locate my wife on a ship.  We set up a time and place meeting place in advance.  If one of us wants to change it, we go back to the cabin and leave a note.  I agree w the people who say that their cell phones get left in their rooms.  I really don't think that it is necessary to lock it in your safe as some have suggested but it does stay in the room.

DON

10 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I make a chart/spreadsheet of all the important info for the people in our travel group, including their cabin number. I give a copy to everyone. You can leave a VM message for them or put a post it on their door.

That works.  And truth is it is common to bump into family/friends even when I'm not looking for them.  It really isn't a huge problem as one might think.  But (I know, always a but) the new apps with the free text feature make things incredibly easy.  Especially for impromptu things.  No need to go to cabins and leave post its.   Just send a note to your group.  Like:  "hey we are on deck 12 watching the belly flop contest". 😀

• Like 2

The info came in handy for our travel group a few years back when one attentive member noticed that the ship and port were an hour apart on times.  Some would have missed the meeting time for the tour if we didn't notify the members through the cabin phone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

The info came in handy for our travel group a few years back when one attentive member noticed that the ship and port were an hour apart on times.  Some would have missed the meeting time for the tour if we didn't notify the members through the cabin phone.

I agree completely.  Now instead of having to call however many cabins, we can send one text to our family group.  Very convenient.  Though we will still call folks too when needed.   Especially when quick confirmation of the message receive is needed. 

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I agree completely.  Now instead of having to call however many cabins, we can send one text to our family group.  Very convenient.  Though we will still call folks too when needed.   Especially when quick confirmation of the message receive is needed. 

But then we still have friends who haven't ventured into 21st century technology...  A few people I know seem proud of it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

But then we still have friends who haven't ventured into 21st century technology...  A few people I know seem proud of it.

They can hold on for a while, but at least when it come to cruising the technology will be harder and harder to ignore. 

Already today I can browse the daily planner on my phone, mark items I’m interested in, have a reminder pop up a few minutes before the event, bring up a ship plan showing me where I am, where the even is and how to get between the two. 

Can’t wait to see what technology brings tomorrow. 

• Like 1

And then there are those of us who travel on our own...as in solo.  If I meet and become friendly with folks on board (which happens quite often), we do what others have said......we meet in a lounge for drinks or an activity at a certain time. I have met many people on my sailings over the years and we have gone for drinks and dinner together multiple times. If we are that comfortable together, we exchange cabin numbers and if something changes, one of us can call each other. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, wcook said:

They can hold on for a while, but at least when it come to cruising the technology will be harder and harder to ignore. 

Already today I can browse the daily planner on my phone, mark items I’m interested in, have a reminder pop up a few minutes before the event, bring up a ship plan showing me where I am, where the even is and how to get between the two. 

On our May RCL cruise, they gave the paper daily planner only to those under age 65 (yes your room steward knows everything.)  We had the app (and were given the dailies) and found it very convenient but don't like to always have to carry our cell phones around. I like to get away from technology rather than be married to it.  

Everyone should download their flight app and the cruise app. It does make life so much easier.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lois R said:

And then there are those of us who travel on our own...as in solo. 

Speaking of traveling solo and keeping in touch....

I would urge solo travelers (women particularly) to have a think about how much info you give out here on CC....or anywhere online.  I've noticed many roll calls ask participants to provide their name and cabin number, which is added to a list that can be read by anyone. This is not something I feel comfortable doing. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

I like to get away from technology rather than be married to it.  

Statements like this one are mystifying to me.  To use a definition I have seen used: Technology is science or knowledge put into practical use to solve problems or invent useful tools.

Do you wear eyeglasses?  Glasses are technology. They solve problems for many. Yet no one would suggest that someone should separate themselves from their glasses because they are too dependent on them or want to get away from them....

Smart phones are just the latest in a long string of mass adoption of a useful technology. If someone doesn't have a need or desire to constantly use it, that's fine .... but let's stop making it sound like it's a bad thing to use it when on vacation.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Statements like this one are mystifying to me.  To use a definition I have seen used: Technology is science or knowledge put into practical use to solve problems or invent useful tools.

Do you wear eyeglasses?  Glasses are technology. They solve problems for many. Yet no one would suggest that someone should separate themselves from their glasses because they are too dependent on them or want to get away from them....

Smart phones are just the latest in a long string of mass adoption of a useful technology. If someone doesn't have a need or desire to constantly use it, that's fine .... but let's stop making it sound like it's a bad thing to use it when on vacation.

I've been techie since I programmed an IBM 360 but just don't want to carry a cell phone all around the ship.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 8:22 PM, Markanddonna said:

I've been techie since I programmed an IBM 360 but just don't want to carry a cell phone all around the ship.

Amen! Make it easy for me to get a printed menu and schedule. Don’t force me to carry my phone everywhere. 

• Like 1

The idea of having to carry your phone everywhere on a ship is ridiculous.  Sure, there are some who think of the thing as an extension of their fingers.  I feel sorry for them.  The cruise lines would save a lot of money by not distributing the 'daily news' every evening, but I'll certainly not sail on a ship that requires me to carry my phone and waste time scrolling around like an idiot.  I frankly look forward to that ship's communique in the evening after dinner, it's exciting to plan the next day's fun and games. 

5 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

The idea of having to carry your phone everywhere on a ship is ridiculous.  Sure, there are some who think of the thing as an extension of their fingers.  I feel sorry for them.  The cruise lines would save a lot of money by not distributing the 'daily news' every evening, but I'll certainly not sail on a ship that requires me to carry my phone and waste time scrolling around like an idiot.  I frankly look forward to that ship's communique in the evening after dinner, it's exciting to plan the next day's fun and games. 

"waste time scrolling around like an idiot."

Just a little over the top I'd say.  

While I don't share the concern, I can see not wanting to carry the phone around.  As far as reading the daily happenings, I don't see how reading from a phone makes one an idiot compared to reading from a paper.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

While I don't share the concern, I can see not wanting to carry the phone around.  As far as reading the daily happenings, I don't see how reading from a phone makes one an idiot compared to reading from a paper.  

I do the old fashioned thing with the highlighter and plan out my sea days.  I might have notes in the margins, so that old paper schedule is so helpful.  All the info in one place instead of several places on the phone and scrolling.  

• Like 1