Most dangerous cruise ports?

mandwcruise

Port safety  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How concerned are you with safety when picking ports?

• Very concerned
    • Somewhat concerned
    • Never concerned
  2. 2. Have you, or someone you know personally, ever been a victim of violent crime (e.g. armed robbery, sexual assault) in a cruise port?

3. 3. Your daughter wants to travel alone. Which port is the one that worries you the most?

• Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
    • Casablanca, Morroco
    • Roatan, Honduras
    • Manila, Philippines
    • Haifa, Israel
    • Something not listed, which I will comment on

Luckily, I haven't had a problem cruising so far. As I'm widening my search for new cruise routes, I wonder which ports are more dangerous than others. Would be interested to hear which cruise ports you stay away from, and why. For example, do you have any experiences there being harassed, pickpocketed, or attacked?

BTW, I know there is going to be at least one person responding that all places are equally safe so long as you have common sense. I don't think the statistics support that way of thinking.

We would not book a cruise if we were concerned about personal safety.  We have had folks tell us some cities were not safe but did not have that experience when in cities we were warned about.  

Ref the question regarding daughter is way too vague.  Might depend on the age/maturity of the daughter.  Today I read about parents who finance travel for spring break and HS graduation parties outside the USA.  In most cases, I would not do so.   It is less about specific ports and more about risk in general that young people face.  

Given the number of random shootings here in the US, there’s not a foreign port I worry about. And to be honest, I’m not really scared in the US either. 

We live in an era of super low crime rates. Unfortunately, we also live in an era of ubiquitous sensationalist media. 

• Like 5

In January 2005, my mother and I cruised on the Carnival Spirit to Acapulco which is part of the state of Guerrero. Now, if you look at the state department's Mexico International Travel Information and the corresponding Mexico Travel Advisory, you will see that the state of Guerrero is listed as one of five Mexico states which is listed as Level 4 (Red) - Do Not Travel due to crime and kidnapping. It even states "U.S. government employees may not travel to other areas of the state of Guerrero, including Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, and Ixtapa." I'm tempted to say that the port-of-call removal was in effect at least since 2017. 

• Like 1

There are so many variables going into this question.

I give you an example of an unnamed city visited by hundreds of thousands of tourists each year. I walked around many parts of the city during daytime. Yet, when I attended a concert and wanted to walk to a taxi stand afterwards, the officials there stopped me, I would not survive that on my own but accompanied me armed and with dogs to the taxi.

Paying attention to local advice is certainly helpful in reducing the dangerousness.

On the other hand not all the stories around are really true and many places are much accessible than some people, reports and media (and maybe even excursion selling cruise lines) want to make you believe.

Edited by carlmm

Parts of the Philippines get a pretty serious warning from the US state department. Of course, these parts aren't Manila or where cruise ship

Exercise increased caution to the Philippines due to crime, terrorism, civil unrest, and kidnapping. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Do Not Travel to:

• The Sulu Archipelago, including the southern Sulu Sea, due to crime, terrorism, civil unrest, andkidnapping.
  • Marawi City in Mindanao due to terrorism and civil unrest.

If I am worried I use the cruise shore excursions.  I worry more about a blown tire on a mountain road than daytime crime with a group.  I do review state department information on ports I am visiting for health and safety concerns; this is why I marked somewhat concerned.  Many of the warnings are about pickpockets and that is easily thwarted by not carrying valuables.  We even take a cheap phone when we travel, that $50 phone is likely the most expensive thing I carry.

truthfully I worry more about picking up a parasite or other weird disease. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

On a cruise leaving New York a few years ago I met a woman with two black eyes - she had eaten dinner on 46th Street (popular Restaurant Row) with her husband and had stepped outside at about 8:30 PM while her husband was paying the check - a passer—by grabbed the strap of her shoulder bag and punched her in the face to make her let go.   Safety in ports - as in most home towns - (such as Chicago suburbs on parade day)  seems almost a matter of chance.

I recall being in Acapulco several years back and was warned by locals to not venture any farther than where we were at (close to port.)  There were police on jeeps with mounted machine guns circling the port area. In some countries, two policemen walking through the airport with impressive weapons might make me feel safer. Not in Mexico.  No way would I book a cruise stopping there.

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Z'Loth said:

In January 2005, my mother and I cruised on the Carnival Spirit to Acapulco which is part of the state of Guerrero. Now, if you look at the state department's Mexico International Travel Information and the corresponding Mexico Travel Advisory, you will see that the state of Guerrero is listed as one of five Mexico states which is listed as Level 4 (Red) - Do Not Travel due to crime and kidnapping. It even states "U.S. government employees may not travel to other areas of the state of Guerrero, including Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, and Ixtapa." I'm tempted to say that the port-of-call removal was in effect at least since 2017. 

We are in our late 60's, early 70's.  Our last eight week snowbird trip was cut short by a week because of covid issues.  Never got to Mazatlan.

It was independent travel that started in Merida, P. Morales, Playa  for several weeks.  From there we flew to Huatulco for three days and then made our way up the coast...mostly by bus because of poor air connections.  A week or more in each of Acapulco, P. Escondido, and Zihuatanejo.   Acapulco today has changed greatly in the last few years.  We used public transport to get for the hotel zone to downtown without issue. It reached ground zero and had no where to go but up.    Ended up in PV but never made it any further.  We extended our time in these stops because we were enjoying them so much.

Not once did we feel threatened. Including when we went out during the evening for dinner in Acapulco.  We enjoyed it so much that we are planning to return to ZI at some point for at least a two week stay.  No idea about Ixtapa...we never bother with it.

A five or six week independent trip to Morocco has now made it to the top of our bucket list.

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

I recall being in Acapulco several years back and was warned by locals to not venture any farther than where we were at (close to port.)  There were police on jeeps with mounted machine guns circling the port area. In some countries, two policemen walking through the airport with impressive weapons might make me feel safer. Not in Mexico.  No way would I book a cruise stopping there.

I know a woman who was violently robbed in Acapulco.  The thief approached her from behind and ripped the earrings out of her ears.  And that was in the plaza area right off the ship.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't use the word "concerned" for myself. "Aware" might be more appropriate. Personal safety is, or should be, a consideration for any place you visit, whether it's a port stop or not. Any port, any where will undoubtedly have areas where it would be unwise to venture on one's own. And certain activities will carry more risk than others. We do our due diligence BEFORE booking, and plan accordingly. To date we have never eliminated a cruise because we thought a port might be too dangerous. And have some faith that if danger was that likely, the cruise line would not be stopping there. But we try to be prudent and aware about where we go and what we do.

I don't consider harassment as dangerous. Annoying, yes, but you aren't in personal danger. Pickpockets are a thing the world over, but again, a pickpocket is not interested in harming You, only stealing your stuff. If you don't carry your stuff where it's easily accessed, then even your stuff isn't in danger. Do your research. Know the common tricks.

Not sure how anyone could answer the daughter question, as it is phrased. How old is she? How mature? What activities would she engage in? Would she be using group excursions or doing everything solo? Would she venture into areas that are known to be risky? The same questions apply whether she is in Timbuktoo or any US city. And when it comes to dangerous places to be, US cities have climbed WAAAY up my list in the last few years. Ahead of many of the places on the OPs list.

Edited by mom says
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I know a woman who was violently robbed in Acapulco.  The thief approached her from behind and ripped the earrings out of her ears.  And that was in the plaza area right off the ship.  

We learned many years ago not to wear expensive jewelry or watches when traveling.  Most especially rings, necklaces, and hoop earings.   It was the first warning we read when preparing to visit Rio years ago.   We have 'travel' jewelry that we take on trips.

One of the big challenges is that some people do not keep an awareness of their surroundings.  When we go to Rome for example we are amazed to see what people put down beside fountains etc when they are taking or having their pictures taken.  Or people who hang purses, cameras, or backpacks on the back of their chairs in outdoor cafes.  Or open their euro stuffed wallets for all to see when  paying  the bill.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, iancal said:

We learned many years ago not to wear expensive jewelry or watches when traveling.  Most especially rings, necklaces, and hoop earings.   It was the first warning we read when preparing to visit Rio years ago. 

One of the big challenges is that some people do not keep an awareness of their surroundings.  When we go to Rome for example we are amazed to see what people put down beside fountains etc when they are taking or having their pictures taken.  Or people who hang purses or backbacks on the back of their chairs in outdoor cafes.  Or open their euro stuffed wallets to pay the bill.  

Nor do we flash money about.  We keep a small amount in our wallets so if we buy something people do not see what we have.

You are totally right.  People should not be wearing expensive jewelry.  But it doesn't excuse the criminals for what they do.  

• Like 2

From our perspective there are a number of cities in the US that we do not believe are particularly safe.

Crime can happen anywhere.  It was only a few years ago that the British Government was warning tourists about crime in Miami after several Brits had been murdered.

• Like 2

The first time we did a snowbird trip to Thailand there were all sorts of warnings about the red scarves or whatever they called themselves.   State dept was warning against travel to Bangkok.

We went on tripadvisor and connect with a US expat who had lived in Bangkok for years.  Bottom line...there really was no issue.  Just a few demos from time to time.

So we went.  Saw one small demo in Bangkok and nothing else during our other weeks of traveling in the country.  Liked it so much we spent four more winters there.  And hopefully next winter as well.   Same for Vietnam and Malaysia.

Just a note.  DW and I have traveled (independently) all over the world and been to many places/ports that many would consider dangerous.   With all of our travel (in my case for over half a century) I have only ever felt true fear one time!  And it was in London, England on a gorgeous winter day.  We had come out of a museum and were heading to Waterloo Bridge (south embankment) to cross when a tall man in a trench coat threated to cut my wife's throat.  The "bloke" was clearly high on something and gave us much reason to fear our safety.  Even though it was a Sunday afternoon there was nobody else about.  I got between him and DW and told her to head up the nearby steps to Waterloo Bridge.  In those days I was still pretty young and guess I was big enough to give him some pause because he did back off.

I mention this because bad situations can happen in nice places.  The other safety issue we had was when a companion was mugged in Constanza, Romania while the 4 of us were walking in the city.  We ultimately got the better of this mugger/thief (who snatched my friend's camera), go the camera back (slightly damaged), and managed to tear the coat off the mugger!

Hank

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

On a cruise leaving New York a few years ago I met a woman with two black eyes - she had eaten dinner on 46th Street (popular Restaurant Row) with her husband and had stepped outside at about 8:30 PM while her husband was paying the check - a passer—by grabbed the strap of her shoulder bag and punched her in the face to make her let go.   Safety in ports - as in most home towns - (such as Chicago suburbs on parade day)  seems almost a matter of chance.

Yikes , I go to restaurant row at least a couple of times on all my trips , never had a issue or saw a problem there . Definitely need to be aware of your surroundings wherever you go. Most muggers leave me alone since I am 6’ 4” and over 250 lbs. 

2 hours ago, iancal said:

From our perspective there are a number of cities in the US that we do not believe are particularly safe.

Very true statement.  There are several US cities I do not recommend visiting right now.  

A few days ago, here in Seattle, a woman who works in my building was randomly punched in the head by a homeless person while she was crossing the street.  Ordinarily, I'd say it's a one-off, but this has been rampant lately in several cities like Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco.  

I realize the vast majority of tourists do not have these interactions but the recent escalation in crime in these cities is very alarming.  You have to always be aware of your surroundings and not let yourself go into touron mode.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Colon, Panama.  Cruise passengers are advised to not go beyond the cruise terminal unless on an excursion.

Colon gets my vote as well. From experience, it isn't safe walking outside the port gates, even in daylight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1