Most dangerous cruise ports?

mandwcruise

Port safety  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How concerned are you with safety when picking ports?

• Very concerned
    • Somewhat concerned
    • Never concerned
  2. 2. Have you, or someone you know personally, ever been a victim of violent crime (e.g. armed robbery, sexual assault) in a cruise port?

3. 3. Your daughter wants to travel alone. Which port is the one that worries you the most?

• Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
    • Casablanca, Morroco
    • Roatan, Honduras
    • Manila, Philippines
    • Haifa, Israel
    • Something not listed, which I will comment on

Buenos Aires gets my vote.  Just didn't feel "comfortable" when I was out and about.

I like Seattle very much and am not fearful when I was there.  But, the day that I took public transport from my hotel to the See's Candy Store in downtown, it was in an area where there were many homeless.  After I had finished my business, I decided to :get out of that area" and took public transport back to near my hotel sooner than I had planned.

In Madeira, I was using the ship's map to find the public market.  The map was poorly drawn and I found myself wandering into an area where there was no market that I could see, but, there were several individuals that "my antennae"  advised me to "follow my breadcrumbs" and "get out of Dodge".  

I was very aware of the pickpockets in Rome and was particularly vigilant.  But, I was not fearful.  

I have felt the safest in Hong Kong, Auckland, and Sydney when I have done any wandering around.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iancal said:

State dept was warning against travel to Bangkok.

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy
One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
Can't be too careful with your company
I can feel the devil walking next to me

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Buenos Aires gets my vote.  Just didn't feel "comfortable" when I was out and about.

I like Seattle very much and am not fearful when I was there.  But, the day that I took public transport from my hotel to the See's Candy Store in downtown, it was in an area where there were many homeless.  After I had finished my business, I decided to :get out of that area" and took public transport back to near my hotel sooner than I had planned.

In Madeira, I was using the ship's map to find the public market.  The map was poorly drawn and I found myself wandering into an area where there was no market that I could see, but, there were several individuals that "my antennae"  advised me to "follow my breadcrumbs" and "get out of Dodge".  

I was very aware of the pickpockets in Rome and was particularly vigilant.  But, I was not fearful.  

I have felt the safest in Hong Kong, Auckland, and Sydney when I have done any wandering around.  

We spent a week in Madeira this past  May.  A block for the Cathedral.  Walked all over town, including to the market.   Never once felt unsafe.   

This was one more place we decided to return to on land travels  based upon one day cruise  port stop.  We had done the same in Malta, Croatia, and Sicily, etc.  One of the nice things about cruising is you get to see so many places that you want to return to for a longer stay.

A number of years ago while were in Rio we went into a jewelry store to change some money.  Coming out we sensed that we were being followed...and we were.  Went right back to our hotel, waited 30 minutes, and then went out again.

We were warned about this when visiting BA.  We changed money in Uruguay for Argentine pesos  prior to catching the ferry over to BA.  The exchange rate was better than we saw in BA! Apparently lots of counterfeit paper notes in BA.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

Barcelona was the only city where we were accosted by thieves.  I do agree that many American home ports can be unsafe, esp. now post COVID, with many acting very irrationally.

A few years back, the airport buses from Miami airport to the cruise port and back travelled through a sketchy area of homeless people.  To keep cruisers from being exposed to them, the city constructed a tunnel to funnel the buses in and out.  Just avoiding the sights was considered a plus by the city's pols.

Edited by evandbob

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

Barcelona was the only city where we were accosted by thieves.  I do agree that many American home ports can be unsafe, esp. now post COVID, with many acting very irrationally.

A few years back, the airport buses from Miami airport to the cruise port and back travelled through a sketchy area of homeless people.  To keep cruisers from being exposed to them, the city constructed a tunnel to funnel the buses in and out.  Just avoiding the sights was considered a plus by the city's pols.

I hope you do not really think that the reason the tunnel was built was so tourists would not have to look at homeless people.  The fact that it expedited traffic from the airport to the port (while not adding to city traffic) might have had a bit more to do with it.

• Like 2

I have a hard time with this question. I've looked at it several times but it's difficult to put my thoughts into words.

As a solo woman traveler, I often focus on actual risk rather than perceived risk when thinking about whether or not to go somewhere. Also, I am not a timid person and I'm comfortable in somewhat urban settings -- I get the feeling many cruisers are from smaller towns/cities and feel less comfortable doing routine things like taking public transportation.

I certainly would not go to any place that receives the highest level of warnings from US or (my preferred) UK travel advisories. But most of those places are virtually closed to tourists anyway.  Less severe warnings will make me look at what the risk really is -- is it limited to a particular area or region of the country? Is it related to something I'm unlikely to be doing while there?  Is it merely a matter of being extra careful with one's belongings while out and about?

I've only traveled to two of the five places on the list: Casablanca (Morocco) and Haifa (Israel).  I feel Haifa is very safe. I'd rate it much higher than many (if not most) US or European cities.  I didn't feel unsafe in Casablanca, but I would say it's a place to be vigilant about belongings and perhaps have a care where one is wandering.

For the record, I've traveled extensively in some countries viewed as less than safe (Tunisia, Egypt, Turkey) as well as shorter visits to Morocco, Jordan, Beirut, and Syria. In some of these places and at certain times I felt less comfortable than, let's say, sitting in a piazza in Rome.  But I never felt myself to be in any danger.

To go back to a discussion of actual vs. perceived risk, I think some of the Caribbean ports rank pretty high in terms of actual crime against tourists, yet many from the US perceive them as safe.  

• Like 3

On 8/14/2022 at 9:08 AM, shipgeeks said:

Colon, Panama.  Cruise passengers are advised to not go beyond the cruise terminal unless on an excursion.

I've been to Panama dozens of times and have never felt unsafe.  Never been to a cruise terminal though.

On 8/14/2022 at 12:00 PM, mom says said:

I wouldn't use the word "concerned" for myself. "Aware" might be more appropriate ...

I don't consider harassment as dangerous. Annoying, yes, but you aren't in personal danger ... 

I like the word "aware".  Aware means you're prepared, you're paying attention, but it's not about being afraid.  Good word choice.  

Yeah, I've heard people on these boards (and in the MDR) saying they felt afraid of the sellers in the Jamaican markets -- but those people are just desperate to make a living, and they're doing their best to get your attention.  I did lecture my kids on them:  keep your hands in your pockets, say "No thank you" and keep walking, don't take anything they say personally.  

On 8/14/2022 at 12:04 PM, Aquahound said:

You are totally right.  People should not be wearing expensive jewelry.  But it doesn't excuse the criminals for what they do.  

Goes back to "being aware".  That's just good sense. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I hope you do not really think that the reason the tunnel was built was so tourists would not have to look at homeless people.  The fact that it expedited traffic from the airport to the port (while not adding to city traffic) might have had a bit more to do with it.

While there were more negative reports about what cruisers were seeing on the streets than about traffic delays., these are never one issue cause/effect debates.  Another factor in building the bypass tunnel was avoid future flooding issues on the old local  route.

The tunnel perhaps avoided an 8 block stretch of local streets,.  Perhaps in CT there is sound logic in building projects, not always the case in FL.

On 8/14/2022 at 4:01 AM, sverigecruiser said:

Very few places are dangerous during daytime.

I should probably worry more in some towns before embarkation when being out at night.

A very good friend was on a private excursion in Acalpulco last year when their minivan was run off the road and robbed at gunpoint.

I now look up all places I am visiting (both land and cruise trips) using  US state dept travel advisories. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/

This doesn't stop me from traveling but may alter my plans if there is a red level alert.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, herbanrenewal said:

I now look up all places I am visiting (both land and cruise trips) using  US state dept travel advisories. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/

This doesn't stop me from traveling but may alter my plans if there is a red level alert.

If you don't already use them, I really prefer the travel advice on the UK.gov site to what the US provides. To me they seem more specific, clear, and detailed. The US site is more likely to write off an entire country due to trouble in just one small area. The UK advice is more nuanced and allows me to understand that if there is trouble in a country I'm planning to visit, but it is 600 miles away from where I will be, there is little chance of any impact.

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

If you don't already use them, I really prefer the travel advice on the UK.gov site to what the US provides. To me they seem more specific, clear, and detailed. The US site is more likely to write off an entire country due to trouble in just one small area. The UK advice is more nuanced and allows me to understand that if there is trouble in a country I'm planning to visit, but it is 600 miles away from where I will be, there is little chance of any impact.

I agree with you that they each have different specific levels of info. I do find the US site has specific info on some places, like Mexico has warnings that are very specific by state and province, like the info on Acapulco warnings about specific crimes; whereas some are generalized by country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

During my cruise last January. we went to Mazatlan. Which is part of Sinaloa and in the category of the "do not travel" US travel advisory to Mexico. There were armed guards every few hundred feet on the walk into town. Which was certainly interesting.

Interestingly enough, that wasn't even close to the spot we felt the most unsafe in. That honor went to downtown LA. That should also receive a do not travel.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, evandbob said:

Friends of ours were mugged in Barcelona at night several years ago.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 9:56 AM, navybankerteacher said:

On a cruise leaving New York a few years ago I met a woman with two black eyes - she had eaten dinner on 46th Street (popular Restaurant Row) with her husband and had stepped outside at about 8:30 PM while her husband was paying the check - a passer—by grabbed the strap of her shoulder bag and punched her in the face to make her let go.   Safety in ports - as in most home towns - (such as Chicago suburbs on parade day)  seems almost a matter of chance.

In 1999 at approximately 11 AM  I was mugged by a guy with a gun on a warm sunny day on East 37 St.between Madison and Park Avenues.

It can happen anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having travelled to 114 countries over the last 40 years, many of which may be classed as 'dangerous' including Ethiopia, Mozambique, Myanmar, Angola and Jamaica, the only place where I have been threatened and pick-pocketed is Chicago. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

There were armed guards every few hundred feet on the walk into town. Which was certainly interesting.

Armed soldiers in Jeeps accompanying my bus group from Safaga to Luxor with more of these in the shopping areas, armed police with long guns in a major shopping area of Cartagena, Columbia, armed soldiers with long guns on street corners in downtown Caracas in 1986:  agree, "certainly interesting"!  

Anyone visiting NYC post 9/11 will certainly see armed  NYPD and US Military personnel visibly posted in major tourist and landmark locations as well as K9 units and security cameras. (There are probably even more units covertly posted or secretly stashed nearby JIC).

I feel safer when I see these protectors, both here and in foreign ports than when none are visible.

• Like 4

On 8/14/2022 at 4:22 PM, rkacruiser said:

We were scheduled to be in Buenos Aires until it was covid-cancelled.  I had done some research and was a bit nervous about going.  I vote for BA too.

On 8/14/2022 at 4:22 PM, rkacruiser said:

I know what you mean.  We were in that market in March.  I was in the square keeping an eye on my Dad and my sister (who had gone in different directions) when a woman came running up to the security guard regarding a team of thieves working the entrance.  I looked over and could see them in action before Security dispersed them.  I’d say Security “chased” them but no one ran and no one seemed surprised to be shooed away.  In other words, all involved knew it was common.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes independent wandering is not all it’s cracked up to be.  If in doubt go with a guide and a group.  I have a friend who has been traveling into the interior of Brazil as a gem trader for decades, he goes at least once a year usually much more.  He always has a guide .  I follow his advice when In South America: have a guide and when the guide asks what  do you want to do about bribes you should answer “pay them”

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

The closest I came was in San Juan.  I was just on a short side street downtown very close to the main area when I noticed a young man carrying a shopping bag approaching and asked for directions. I shook my head and didn't stop walking.  His partner was further up the street and was likely supposed to stop me but was way too high and was stumbling about.  Thief One started yelling at him in Spanish so I ducked into a busy store and then turned to watch them.  I had just read an article about how thieves carry designer shopping bags to blend in with cruise shoppers and use  ruses like asking about the time to get close.   

• Thanks 2

While returning from an excursion in Costa Rica, the bus passed through a community just outside the port with every house surrounded by barbed wire., burned out cars, in many yards, and debris everywhere.   When asked, our bus driver warned the passengers to not wander outside the port entrance/shopping area.