Guarantee way to...

klfhngr

I don't care about the window part but I always request a small table that's not so close to the other tables. I know it's not guaranteed but on the Mariner now I've had the same table number for the past  four cruises. 

Edited by molly361
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

We’ll be on the Radiance for a northbound Alaska cruise next Friday.  How’s their dining room?  Is it worth getting a seat by the table for 5:30 dinner?  It should definitely still be light outside.  

yup we are on the same cruise should be saylight heading north 

This is what I love about the boards.  I would never have thought to email

the dining staff.  Thank you for that I just emailed them. I hope I get

a reply or do I need to wait till I get on the ship to find out if the request

was granted?  Doing a mother daughter cruise celebrating her 30th. And when

we do cruise my husband prefers the windjammer, we never eat at the MDR so this

will be a treat for me. 🤞

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, kelbell said:

the dining staff.  Thank you for that I just emailed them. I hope I get

a reply or do I need to wait till I get on the ship to find out if the request

was granted?  Doing a mother daughter cruise celebrating her 30th. And when

we do cruise my husband prefers the windjammer, we never eat at the MDR so this

will be a treat for me. 🤞

You should have a reply within a day or two, maybe not on the weekend. My last reply said "your request has been honored as requested". I received the replay the day after I sent it.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

14 hours ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

My wife and me and two grandkids were on the Radiance so I checked where our assigned table was in the dining room and it was a good table but for 6 and I knew we weren't going to eat in the dining room every night so I picked out a table for 4. 1st night didn't eat in dining room used BOGO in Italian restaurant 2nd night we were getting ready to go but got a phone call from a staff member/friend on board and we did dinner with him in Chops. 3rd night didn't like menu so didn't go. 4th night got there got seated and then staff member maybe asst head waiter said we were at wrong table and table number changes from 1st to 2nd seating. So he moved us to another table in a bad location so 

he not only lied to us he embarrassed my family. We have been Diamond Plus for a long time so I knew he was lying. Anyhow it didn't work out well for him as I was told he got a written reprimand in his file. The friend we had dinner with the second night was the hotel director. And we also had dinner with him last night of the cruise.

Similar situation happened to us on Allure & Jewel. I requested & was granted a table for 2 & had an email confirmation. All checked out upon arrival & used a BOGO Chops offer the first night. When we showed up on the second night our assigned table had other guests seated there! It was particularly annoying on Jewel because we informed the Head Waiter that we were going to Chops the first night & he assured us that the table would still be our assigned table for the week.

On 8/19/2022 at 7:03 AM, island lady said:

First of all...there are no guarantees.  Request, beg, stamp your feet...yeah...but no guarantees.

Second...what time of the year are you cruising?  

If winter time, and your dining is 5:30 or later...all you will see at the window is your own reflection.  It will be dark out there.  

I wondered why that grump was always staring at me. 😁

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bridedoll1026 said:

Similar situation happened to us on Allure & Jewel. I requested & was granted a table for 2 & had an email confirmation. All checked out upon arrival & used a BOGO Chops offer the first night. When we showed up on the second night our assigned table had other guests seated there! It was particularly annoying on Jewel because we informed the Head Waiter that we were going to Chops the first night & he assured us that the table would still be our assigned table for the week.

We told our waitstaff in MDR (Traditional early dining) that we were going to Chops one night, and told them when.  

Got a phone call from dining host that morning, asking if it was alright to give our table to someone that night.  "Of course"!  🙂  Had it back the rest of the week.  

We to a chance and always go directly to the MDR to scope out a table for two in a location we like. Speaking only for us, but asking for a table size or by the window using the dining email usually works but where the table is located in the MDR by a window or size may not be ideal. We've some tables by a window we wouldn't have wanted.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bridedoll1026 said:

I never told the hotel director what happened but he found out anyway. I had told the concierge and she contacted the Restaurant Manager and the Head Matre d and they found us and took care of the problem but we didn't go back to the dining room on that cruise. Bob

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 2:15 PM, cruiseguy1016 said:

I always request a table by the window. Sometimes there are views, sometimes there aren't. Request a table by the window, it can't hurt.

Yeah, I know. It's mostly because then you aren't in the middle of it all and are a bit shielded at least on one side. Also, being from Europe and not being used to AC, I found that usually there is less chance of a draft when sitting near the outside walls.

Late seating which we do means no view.  Too much interior light to see out.  We've never bothered to request a window.  At breakfast and lunch when we're in the MDR, we get one a lot and the view is usually the same, just water so we don't see the point.  I've told this before about table numbers, but in April on the first leg of our b2b, DH went and found our table so we didn't have to search later.  When we got to the table, the number had been swapped from an 8 top to 2 four tops next to each other.  Everyone at our table had done the same thing and looked for our table earlier so were surprised.  There were at least 6 of us every night and 8 for most of the trip.  The table we were supposed to be at had at most 3-4 people every night.  We were all convinced they had requested the move, but we didn't make a fuss and just enjoyed our trip.  Both tables were next to the windows.  We were a very social group which would have been much easier at an 8 top.

On 8/20/2022 at 10:46 AM, rudeney said:

This was around 6:30pm, in the rain: 

image.thumb.jpeg.88dc53d7e8a2177ecd9fa1c9f9c95298.jpeg

What ship?  On EN for example, there are round windows and there is no real benefit sitting next to them as they are recessed somewhat so you have to lean over to see much of anything.

4 hours ago, BND said:

What ship?  On EN for example, there are round windows and there is no real benefit sitting next to them as they are recessed somewhat so you have to lean over to see much of anything.

I am pretty sure it was Navigator, but it might have Voyager or Freedom or Liberty - I'd have to check the date.  Regardless, it's either a Voyager-class or Freedom-class as that's all we've sailed on RCCL.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 11:09 AM, kelbell said:

the dining staff. 

Agree!  I never considered it before.  I'd like to sit by a window -- obviously for the view -- but also because my husband has hearing only in one ear, and limiting the number of tables next to us would be good.  We could choose our seats so that the waiter would stand "on his good side", and it would make life slightly nicer for him /no explaining necessary.  

Cruise in 2018, maitre’d sent us in to pick our table & we had that every night.  Perfect.  Next cruise 2020, nope no choices allowed.  You get what you get and you don’t get upset!  Didnt even try in March. I’ll send the email this time.  Worth a try.

5 hours ago, loman said:

Me , i would rather have a seat by the railing . My wife doesnt like the seaview 

and i dont particularly find it entertaining either . The view never changes.

Any ship that has the multiple deck MDR we always ask for and have always received a table by the railing. Mostly two tops but we also had a great table for 8 on the rail on Oasis for a family cruise.

5 hours ago, loman said:

Me , i would rather have a seat by the railing . My wife doesnt like the seaview 

and i dont particularly find it entertaining either . The view never changes.

Really?  I can't imagine not enjoying looking out at the sea.

14 minutes ago, poocher said:

Can i ask why the railing is a desirable spot?

It means you only have "neighbors" on one side, and it's a more interesting view than sitting in the middle of the room.  

• Thanks 1