knee and hip issues

mystic51

I have issues with my knees and hips.  I'm only able to walk short distances.  Could someone tell me whether or not, when you're in port,  is there any assistance (such as a person with a golf cart) to transport you from the ship to the area at the end of the long walkway to shops etc.   Thank you so much

6 minutes ago, mystic51 said:

I have issues with my knees and hips.  I'm only able to walk short distances.  Could someone tell me whether or not, when you're in port,  is there any assistance (such as a person with a golf cart) to transport you from the ship to the area at the end of the long walkway to shops etc.   Thank you so much

This Celebrity link should help with your questions. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/special-needs/accessibility

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I would consider renting a scooter.  The ships are big, and it's a lot of walking even if you're only staying on the ship.

There is a board on Cruise Critic that has advice, too. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

We just have a balcony cabin on infinity.  Will there be a problem getting it in the door

40 minutes ago, mystic51 said:

We just have a balcony cabin on infinity.  Will there be a problem getting it in the door

Most people leave them in the corridor directly outside their room.

Depending on the location of your cabin and your level of pain (I'm getting knee replaced on Oct 6th), you might want to consider using a walker or renting wheel chair.  

For what you are describing, why not just bring along a manual (foldable) wheelchair? They can easily fit in any cabin, and can go in a cab if you decide to take one. If you are traveling with someone, they can push you. Or you can move the wheels yourself. 

I recommend bringing one instead of renting, because it will come in handy in the cruise terminal and in the airport if you are flying. Also, you can buy a used one locally for a fraction of the cost of renting.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Most people leave them in the corridor directly outside their room.

Depending on the location of your cabin and your level of pain (I'm getting knee replaced on Oct 6th), you might want to consider using a walker or renting wheel chair.  

You can't leave a scooter in the corridor. My wife uses a 4 wheeled folding walker and we always get a cabin with the bed next to the window/balcony to give more space as you enter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, the penguins said:

You can't leave a scooter in the corridor. My wife uses a 4 wheeled folding walker and we always get a cabin with the bed next to the window/balcony to give more space as you enter

On M class beds are all by the bath.  EM

2 hours ago, mystic51 said:

Which ports? They are all different

Slightly off topic but I wonder if our OP has booked an accessible stateroom.  With knee and hip issues an accessible shower may be helpful.

My father had Parkinson's and a folding wheel chair was so helpful taking him to doctor's appointments and so forth.  These chairs are lightweight and can be easily folded.  I wonder if our OP is flying to their cruise as the folding wheelchair my parents had wasn't close to the quality of his "regular" wheelchair and I wonder how it would have held up in the cargo hold of an airplane.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, the penguins said:

Maybe they prefer you don’t but I’ve seen them there many times

10 hours ago, mystic51 said:

Maybe book an accessible cabin.

18 hours ago, the penguins said:

Must be a new policy. I recall walking past quite a few of them by the doors handicapp accessible cabins over the years on previous sailings but we haven't cruised since January 2020.

16 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Must be a new policy. I recall walking past quite a few of them by the doors handicapp accessible cabins over the years on previous sailings but we haven't cruised since January 2020.

Not a new policy. Just that some people ignore the policy. We ran into many mobility challenges when my Mother, who is wheelchair/scooter dependent had trouble getting down hallways on the Summit because passengers left scooters in the hallways. Cabin attendants had to knock on doors to request scooters be kept in cabins so others on scooters/wheelchairs could get by. 

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

Not a new policy. Just that some people ignore the policy. We ran into many mobility challenges when my Mother, who is wheelchair/scooter dependent had trouble getting down hallways on the Summit because passengers left scooters in the hallways. Cabin attendants had to knock on doors to request scooters be kept in cabins so others on scooters/wheelchairs could get by. 

Regrettably only too true. As is waiting for or  getting in an elevator which is often full of passengers who could clearly walk. After a show in the theatre the wait can be considerable as soon as an elevator arrive people just push in with no regard to passengers using wheelchairs or walkers. 

On the other hand when we were waiting for assistance to board in the rain at 12.30 am after  going to a Tango Show in Buenos Aires one of the ships entertainers lent my wife his jacket saying " just leave it with security they know who I am".  By the time we got on board the jacket was soaked through. Such a thoughtful gesture and a great end to our Diamond Wedding celebration.

• Like 2