Covid positive after cruise

Jadesmom69

On 9/7/2022 at 8:58 PM, exm said:

Here's my family: me (1 booster), wife (2 shots), 3 kids ( not vaxed). We all got Covid in January (I assume Omicron, nothing serious). We had a big Europe trip (19 days, with a 7 day European cruise at the end), and my son got Covid on the last day of the cruise (he got it earlier, but he was sick on the last day). We spend time in the cruise cabin, he was sitting between me and my wife during our flight home [we tested after we got home by the way] so I'm sure we would have gotten it ourselves if not for.... Natural immunity. So somehow my son was unlucky, and got it but none of the other 4 in my family had any problems at all.

Folks, this is like that cold. Let's stop talking about it.

Comments like these always crack me up. On one hand you say we should stop talking about it, but you continue to talk about it. 🤣🤣🤣

On 9/7/2022 at 10:08 PM, Russ Lomas said:

Found the right answer on the RCCL website.  You are right about the reimbursement policy ending, but you just jumped the gun on the date when it ends.  It is still in place until the end of this month.

• Pro-rated cruise fare refund if your cruise is cut short for reasons related to COVID-19, for cruises departing on or before September 30, 2022.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Royal Caribbean will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, and provide assistance with any required land-based quarantine, as well as coordinate travel home for you and your Traveling Party, for cruises departing on or before September 30, 2022

What happens, when people test positive before a cruise after September 30th?

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Comments like these always crack me up. On one hand you say we should stop talking about it, but you continue to talk about it. 🤣🤣🤣

Because this thread is 7 pages long! 🙂

16 hours ago, coffeebean said:

So I'm to understand that your choice will be to mask for the unforeseen future. Have at it. And......unless you are wearing an N95 mask, your efforts are futile.

You must not have read some of my other posts on this thread, and I won't repeat myself.  However, what I have been doing has worked very well with exposure to thousands of people, dozens of airports and airplanes, and 58 days of cruising, and 21 negative COVID tests during that time.  I don't think that's futile; I think it's reassuring.

YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

I wonder if that has to be a proctored positive test or can it just be a picture of your positive result? 

I think there is too much money at stake to take a chance.  When my SO tested positive at home, one of the first things we did was set up an appointment for him at CVS.  

Apologies if I'm repeating myself.  I have a datestamper app on my phone, so when I use a home test to show a negative COVID test, I will datestamp the photo I take showing it.  I don't want to show up with an unproctored, undated negative test result and have a problem.

Hi. Just got off Voyager of the Seas 6 days ago we both contracted Covid for the first time.

We are both vaccinated and boosted.

On the cruise we avoided, if possible to be to near crowds.

This make us feel after avoiding getting Covid for 2 1/2 years and spending just 7 days on a cruise ship and getting it, cruising is not safe.

We have been and are still very sick. 
Before the cruise we actually thought all the things the cruise lines have implemented would make cruising safe.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

this is what happens, ships at starting to be full again, people don't wear masks, everyone can serve themselves at Windjammer to their food and then it's people not taking care of following strict hygiene measures. Autumn and winter will be again very interesting for cruising.

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2022 at 11:23 PM, pcur said:

I have read most of this thread, and what's missing is no one seems to be saying they tested positive after wearing a mask in the airport, on the plane, inside the cruise ship, inside buildings in port, and rinse/repeat going home.

I said it - we wore masks on the plane (to and from), at the airport, in taxis/ubers, at the terminal, inside the cruise ship (unless actively eating in MDR or buffet - we even put masks on when getting a second helping or dessert at the buffet), during all the shows, etc. And we still got covid on the cruise (June 2022). We hadn't gotten it before this cruise. We didn't get it on our Nov 2021 cruise when most people wore masks on the ship when indoors.

Considering that you said "I have read most of this tread" on page 2 of the (so far) 7 page thread, it looks like this thread barely started when you said that.

3 hours ago, merete48 said:

Hi. Just got off Voyager of the Seas 6 days ago we both contracted Covid for the first time.

This make us feel after avoiding getting Covid for 2 1/2 years and spending just 7 days on a cruise ship and getting it, cruising is not safe.

Before the cruise we actually thought all the things the cruise lines have implemented would make cruising safe.

Cruising might not be the best vacation for you in this case. Hopefully you will recover soon.

• Like 1

No scientific data to prove this as testing after the cruise is non existent. However, on the last night of our cruise over 50% were hacking.  All a similar cough.  It was not like that at the start of the cruise.  I honestly believe that the infection rate is at least 50% of the passengers.  Again not scientific but a very good observation.  We went 2.5 yrs without getting it and the cruise is a Covid capsule.  It will be a long time before we cruise again.  These cruise lines are not concerned about safety and only care about the profit.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, merete48 said:

Hope you both feel better soon and get that negative test.

1 hour ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Cases and deaths were at a peak when mask wearing laws, capacity limitations, and lockdowns were being enforced. That did not work either.

The only effective method to avoid covid is isolation from a source.

Cases and deaths were at a peak when the virus was much more virulent than the variant that is circulating now.

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I said it - we wore masks on the plane (to and from), at the airport, in taxis/ubers, at the terminal, inside the cruise ship (unless actively eating in MDR or buffet - we even put masks on when getting a second helping or dessert at the buffet), during all the shows, etc. And we still got covid on the cruise (June 2022). We hadn't gotten it before this cruise. We didn't get it on our Nov 2021 cruise when most people wore masks on the ship when indoors.

Considering that you said "I have read most of this tread" on page 2 of the (so far) 7 page thread, it looks like this thread barely started when you said that.

You might have posted after me.  So sorry to hear you got sick.  Not a good souvenir to bring home after a cruise.  Safe travels next time.

21 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

No more pre-cruise testing at that point for those who are vaccinated.  Those who are unvaccinated just "have to" do a rapid test which does not even need to be proctored.  I am guessing that 90% of unvaccinated cruisers do not even bother and just saw they did one and it was negative.  RCCL is going to the honour system in these cases, but in reality, it is likely just a marketing ploy saying. "Hey, we said they had to test and they said they did and it was negative.  What else can we do to ensure your safety?"

• Like 3

On 9/9/2022 at 1:06 AM, ReneeFLL said:

Nothing changes, here is the policy in effect until April 30 2023.

The following information applies to residents of North America who book passage on Royal Caribbean International (“RCI” or the “cruise line”) sailings scheduled during the nationally declared Public Health Emergency involving COVID-19.

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 10 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal, for cruises departing on or before April 30, 2023.  

Here is what changes if you depart after Sept 30.

• If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Royal Caribbean will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard.  

Here is what it is for departures prior to Sept 30.

• If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Royal Caribbean will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, and provide assistance with any required land-based quarantine, as well as coordinate travel home for you and your Traveling Party, for cruises departing on or before September 30, 2022.

Also, if you booked your cruise after August 8 and sail prior to Sept 30 you have to follow the after Sept 30 changes. If you booked prior to August 8 you get the prior to Sept 30 policy.

Edited by HaveWeMetYet
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2022 at 9:05 PM, coffeebean said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but....that is not my concern at all. There are probably millions of people walking around with Covid and they may not know it or don't care or haven't tested and think it is just a cold or who knows what the reason is. 

Well said. That is why one can't trust the stats stating how many people have covid as the numbers are much higher than reported.

22 hours ago, Fartlek said:

No scientific data to prove this as testing after the cruise is non existent. However, on the last night of our cruise over 50% were hacking.  All a similar cough.  It was not like that at the start of the cruise.  I honestly believe that the infection rate is at least 50% of the passengers.  Again not scientific but a very good observation.  We went 2.5 yrs without getting it and the cruise is a Covid capsule.  It will be a long time before we cruise again.  These cruise lines are not concerned about safety and only care about the profit.  

Obviously not scientific at all.  You're assuming.   Over 50%?  Did you count them lol?  You do realize that there are a lot of viruses and infections going around, right?  Coughing does not equal Covid.  My sister is just getting over an upper respiratory virus that went almost to pneumonia but it is not Covid.  My Personal Trainer got a virus last week that started as a cold, moved to gastrointestinal and now she has pink eye. She tested a few times and her Dr said there is a nasty virus going around with the symptoms she had.  Also, it's ragweed season and a lot of people have allergies (and not just to ragweed).  Our cruise in April, lots were coughing.  DH had a cold. I had a sinus infection.  Neg pcr and rapid tests as well as neg flu tests.  I was tested with 101.5 temp so I know I didn't have it.  Just a virus.  We've cruised 40 nights since Nov and have not had symptomatic Covid ever.    And, we don't wear masks unless they are required (aka forced to).

Edited by BND

6 minutes ago, BND said:

Obviously not scientific at all.  You're assuming.   Over 50%?  Did you count them lol?  You do realize that there are a lot of viruses and infections going around, right?  Coughing does not equal Covid.  My sister is just getting over an upper respiratory virus that went almost to pneumonia but it is not Covid.  My Personal Trainer got a virus last week that started as a cold, moved to gastrointestinal and now she has pink eye. She tested a few times and her Dr said there is a nasty virus going around with the symptoms she had.  Also, it's ragweed season and a lot of people have allergies (and not just to ragweed).  Our cruise in April, lots were coughing.  DH had a cold. I had a sinus infection.  Neg pcr and rapid tests as well as neg flu tests.  I was tested with 101.5 temp so I know I didn't have it.  Just a virus.  We've cruised 40 nights since Nov and have not had symptomatic Covid ever.    And, we don't wear masks unless they are required (aka forced to).

My friends son had that same virus a couple of weeks ago. He started like a cold which they thought was maybe Covid but wasn’t. Then it became gastrointestinal and he ended up with pink eye at the end which got very bad and he ended up with antibiotics for the eye. Crazy.

• Like 1