Can you drop carry-ons in the cabin upon boarding?

I thought I remembered that suite passengers were allowed to drop off their carry-ons similar to what they now offer as a benefit with The Key.  Thinking back, it may have been that we could drop off carry-ons in the suite lounge, then pick them up when the staterooms were ready.  That may not have been an "official" suite benefit, but I've always found the concierges to be very accommodating.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rudeney said:

I thought I remembered that suite passengers were allowed to drop off their carry-ons similar to what they now offer as a benefit with The Key.  Thinking back, it may have been that we could drop off carry-ons in the suite lounge, then pick them up when the staterooms were ready.  That may not have been an "official" suite benefit, but I've always found the concierges to be very accommodating.

We've sailed only in suites recently and haven't thought that was an option.

Not sure I would leave my carryon in the SL as there usually isn't a concierge or any staff in there until a certain time after we usually sail out.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

What is a carry on? I'm on vacation and pay for people to deliver my stuff

Unfortunately some of us have to use a carryon, my husband's meds and CPAP machine have to be carried on.  Otherwise we would tip and drop before getting on the ship😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can't imagine the zoo in the hallways, and the poor cleaning staff having to deal with every pax who thinks they need to drop their carry on bags in their cabin early.   Those big steel doors are closed with a warning for a reason.  Sure Carnival does it...but wait...are there not clowns in a Carnival?  😉 

There are carts, bags of soiled linen, trash...etc. for them to have to manipulate around in the hallways, they don't need to deal with wondering pax as well.   Not to mention, if your cabin is still not cleaned...that leaves your cabin door open and unlocked with your carry on bags in there.  

So simple.  Just find a nice place to hang out and wait with your bags there.  There are various lounges everywhere.  We go to the DL/CL/SL to wait with our carry on bags next to us....but favorite thing on Oasis class is having a relaxing lunch in CK while we wait for our  cabin to open.  

Or...just pick a late check in after cabins are already open.  Then able to got straight to your cabin. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Not me. Stuff I carry on too Valuable or irreplaceable 

I don't carry anything valuable.....that stays home.  I'm on vacation, and my clothing is insured against loss with an annual travel insurance.  

But if you really want to carry expensive stuff, board after 1:00 and you can drop it off

Edited by Joseph2017China
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I don't carry anything valuable.....that stays home.  I'm on vacation, and my clothing is insured against loss with an annual travel insurance.  

But if you really want to carry expensive stuff, board after 1:00 and you can drop it off

Nah, I like get on by 1045, doing that since first Cruise. Carry my Money, Meds, Laptop with my Carry on a Back Pack...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Valuable does not always mean an expensive item that can be left at home. Medical items are the first thing that come to my mind. Valuable can also mean critical and irreplaceable.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Not me. Stuff I carry on too Valuable or irreplaceable 

we also take carry on for electronics, jewelry and medication.  Also always put a days change of clothes in it .  People have had luggage delivered late- or misplaced by the ships staff if a luggage tag falls off.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ashland said:

We've sailed only in suites recently and haven't thought that was an option.

Not sure I would leave my carryon in the SL as there usually isn't a concierge or any staff in there until a certain time after we usually sail out.

Yeah, as I age, my memory fails me and things start to blend together, but I do know that back when the CL was on the same floor or maybe one below the suites (Freedom/Voyager class), the concierge always seemed to be there as soon as we boarded as we'd often go in and introduce ourselves.  I usually only have one wheeled carry-on which is not a big deal.

• Like 1

Unless you are in a Star Class Suite, no, you keep your carry on's with you - the whole point of them. You keep them with you, until you can access your room. Star Class guests have access much earlier, and are allowed past those fire proof doors as directed by their Genie's. If you don't want to carry them, I would suggest dropping them off with your regular luggage and the porters can take them to your room. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, island lady said:

I can't imagine the zoo in the hallways, and the poor cleaning staff having to deal with every pax who thinks they need to drop their carry on bags in their cabin early.   Those big steel doors are closed with a warning for a reason.  Sure Carnival does it...but wait...are there not clowns in a Carnival?  😉 

There are carts, bags of soiled linen, trash...etc. for them to have to manipulate around in the hallways, they don't need to deal with wondering pax as well.   Not to mention, if your cabin is still not cleaned...that leaves your cabin door open and unlocked with your carry on bags in there.  

So simple.  Just find a nice place to hang out and wait with your bags there.  There are various lounges everywhere.  We go to the DL/CL/SL to wait with our carry on bags next to us....but favorite thing on Oasis class is having a relaxing lunch in CK while we wait for our  cabin to open.  

Or...just pick a late check in after cabins are already open.  Then able to got straight to your cabin. 

Exactly this. People always talk about how hard the staff works. Let them get their work done turning over the cabins. This is the only time they get to work without having to deal with guests. The only thing passengers in the area will do is delay the process and cause everyone to have to wait longer.

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

No medication?

DW must have her jewelry

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have not cruised with Royal since 2008. At that time, we boarded in Barcelona at 11 AM and I believe we were able to drop our carry-ons in our cabin (Navigator). On three GHAL cruises since then, we always board before noon and drop off our carry-ons before looking for lunch. If HAL can do it why can't Royal? Smaller ships with fewer pax but also fewer crew.

We usually travel in an inside, midship, lowest deck. This time (10/23, Anthem) we are in a forward-facing ocean view. First time for that location.

Jim

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Exactly this. People always talk about how hard the staff works. Let them get their work done turning over the cabins. This is the only time they get to work without having to deal with guests. The only thing passengers in the area will do is delay the process and cause everyone to have to wait longer.

I can't remember how or why (not trying to get to my room!), but one time I looked down a hallway where the crew was prepping staterooms for the new arriving passengers and it was a "cluster".  There was stuff all in the halls, crew members running around very busy.  They definitely do not need passengers getting in the way.  And that was before COVID, so I'd bet their cleaning process takes even longer now. 

• Like 3

I have done it many times including my last Cruise. I just go to the floor that I am on open the fire door and walk to my cabin. Sometimes the steward will say the room is not ready. I explained that I am just dropping off my bag and he says no problem. Easy peasy

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

I have done it many times including my last Cruise. I just go to the floor that I am on open the fire door and walk to my cabin. Sometimes the steward will say the room is not ready. I explained that I am just dropping off my bag and he says no problem. Easy peasy

While I feel some people here all but nominate cruise ship employees for sainthood (extra trips, get to know them, bring them treats etc) and I'm on a vacation, not there to set the world to rights. I do feel they have a crazy amount to do during turn over and very little time to do it. I say drag your junk around till 1pm and stay out if there way. It's not a big ask on there part. And if a fire door is closed, it's not your place to open it. I get it only takes a second, but if everyone does it the time adds up. And ultimately slows them down. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

Unfortunately some of us have to use a carryon, my husband's meds and CPAP machine have to be carried on.  Otherwise we would tip and drop before getting on the ship😂

I have the same problem!!

• Like 1

Just got off a celebrity cruise, we were told up front (sign saying to pick up sail card and drop off bags at cabin). That was on the last three X cruises we took. I think we were also sent to our cabin to pick up our sea pass cards on Royal last December.  We dropped off our bags then too.

Edited by mac66

13 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

I have not cruised with Royal since 2008. At that time, we boarded in Barcelona at 11 AM and I believe we were able to drop our carry-ons in our cabin (Navigator). On three GHAL cruises since then, we always board before noon and drop off our carry-ons before looking for lunch. If HAL can do it why can't Royal? Smaller ships with fewer pax but also fewer crew.

We usually travel in an inside, midship, lowest deck. This time (10/23, Anthem) we are in a forward-facing ocean view. First time for that location.

Jim

See Ocean Boy's post #37.  

9 hours ago, rudeney said:

I can't remember how or why (not trying to get to my room!), but one time I looked down a hallway where the crew was prepping staterooms for the new arriving passengers and it was a "cluster".  There was stuff all in the halls, crew members running around very busy.  They definitely do not need passengers getting in the way.  And that was before COVID, so I'd bet their cleaning process takes even longer now. 

Exactly.  Can you imagine if everyone boarding did that?  

Let the poor overworked and understaffed crew members do their job.  The worst pax will suffer is a couple of hours with their carry on sitting comfortably at one of the many lounges with a cocktail.  😉 

We all have to keep our carry on bags with us at the airport, and seem to survive that also.  😄 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, joeyancho said:

So you simply open a closed door to a restricted area, that has a sign letting you know that the hall is closed and the rooms are not ready.  You walk through while staff (even staff from other areas) are furiously trying to clean, you walk over the vacuum cords, around the laundry  bags still in the  hall to your room that is not sufficiently cleaned, sanitized or approved by the deck supervisor.    Drop off your bags in an open room,  walk through the hall again while they scramble around you to clean the cabins, and leave.    One reason they areas is closed in the hallways are filled with staff, supplies, equipment etc., and passengers could easily get hurt. 

Now, you left your carry on baggage in a unsecured cabin, the door is likely still open as the room is not cleaned.  I guess another passenger, who also breaks the rule, can walk through the halls and simply pick up your bag.  Then what?  

Of course they say, "no problem", as there is no way a staff at that level is confronting a passenger.   

If I entered a restricted areas that I knew was off limits, potentially got in the way of the cleaning routine, I   doubt I would brag about it.   How hard is to let the crew do their job and wait an hour for the cabin to be ready.  Do you enter the galley or bridge as well?  How do you draw the line? 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 9/8/2022 at 9:20 AM, Joseph2017China said:

Please print this response and put it someplace safe....then in 20 years take it out again and read it to yourself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Exactly.  Can you imagine if everyone boarding did that?  

Let the poor overworked and understaffed crew members do their job.  The worst pax will suffer is a couple of hours with their carry on sitting comfortably at one of the many lounges with a cocktail.  😉 

We all have to keep our carry on bags with us at the airport, and seem to survive that also.  😄 

Agree. Our carry-ons are Kathy's purse and my back pack with Kathy's other stuff in it. 😇 

Edited by davekathy
  • Haha 1