Why do you cruise?

mandwcruise

Why do YOU love cruising over land-based tours (multi-select)  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Pick all that apply

• VALUE: doing more while spending less
    • SIMPLICITY: Easier logistics and organization
    • ACTIVITIES AND EXCURSIONS
    • MEETING NEW PEOPLE
    • SERVICE

My worst vacation was spent traveling across Asia by airplanes:

• constantly riding on planes/buses
  • worrying about being late
  • unpacking and repacking the next morning

I want to see a wide range of places without the hassle and without a surprise cost popping up.

The fact that I can get a fixed cost on my cruise vacation is just the cherry on top.

• Like 2

I like to visit different places, but I hate to have to pack & unpack every few days.  Cruising lets me spend a few days exploring a location before/after while getting to sample other locations during the cruise itself.  I also hate long international air travel unless it's business class.  Transoceanic cruises are typically much cheaper than business class fares and a lot more enjoyable.

• Like 1

Too simplistic a question for me. The answer totally depends on where I want to visit, what I want to see, and how long I want to do it for. More often than not we will opt for either a land vacation,  or a land/cruise combo. The only time a cruise only trip comes into play for us is if we want to completely veg out and do as little as possible (Caribbean in winter), or if the itinerary is to places too difficult or complex to do otherwise (South Pacific, expedition type, etc).

Simplicity.  I just finished a land based tour and it reaffirmed my commitment to never do a land based tour again.   I have vast experience in driving cross continent and touring independently also.  I enjoyed it when I did it and might do more but it does require me to think.

Cruising is great, pick your itinerary and let them do the rest. Put your luggage onboard and done!  All you have to think about is what your plan is for port days.  The other factors are a bonus. 

• Haha 1

My answer is going to be similar to @shipgeeks'.  We love being on a ship at sea.  That is our reason for cruising.

I clicked on "Simplicity," but that is more a benefit to us than a reason.  I should have also clicked on "Service" because it is nice not to have to prepare meals, wash dishes, do laundry, make beds.

It's a bit tricky for me to answer this question -- I don't love cruising more than land travel, it's just one part of the mix. 

I like cruising for the sheer fact of being at sea, I like it because it is a good way for solo passengers to join in and meet others, if they want to, and I like the convenience of one cabin/one time unpacking. Throw in a bit of entertainment and a couple of sea days to relax, and it can be a good mix.

I like land travel on my own (such as traveling to a major city or town where I can base myself for a week or more and do sightseeing on my own in the region. Again -- only one time unpacking (stay in one hotel and plan sightseeing nearby or daytrips), you can go at your own pace, you can enjoy local food and culture in the evenings when things are often quieter, e.g., after the daytrippers leave.

I also like the occasional land tour by tour bus BUT ONLY with companies that specialize in what I'm interested in and include a real guide/lecturer in the areas visited. I took a couple of Gate 1 tours and never again -- too many people kvetching about not having enough shopping opportunities despite repeated shopping opportunities.... 🙄.   The pluses: it is an easy way to see some areas that would be either difficult to plan or a bit off-putting to travel in on my own (such as Tunisia or Algeria).

I have never been to an all-inclusive resort and have no plans to go to one. I gather there are some that are not focused on the beach, but so far have not seen any that would tempt me. Just not my thing. 

For us it's cost and convenience, plus we like being at sea.  Yes, we do land tours and independent travel too, but cruising is just easier in many ways and usually much more cost efficient.  We sometimes spend a few extra days before or after, but most often do the cruise only.  The meals, entertainment and service are bonuses.

Some complain about not getting in-depth knowledge of places on a cruise, but for us it would be difficult to, for example, spend a day in Athens, two days in Istanbul, see Ephesus, Mykonos, Santorini, the Amalfi Coast and Naples all in one trip without really difficult logistical problems and a great deal of planning and cost, not to mention all the packing and unpacking and getting to airports, etc.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Some complain about not getting in-depth knowledge of places on a cruise, but for us it would be difficult to

And some places are one and done.  If we like the place we know we can go back.  There are so many places to see that cruising gives you a chance to explore your options with convenience.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

And some places are one and done.  If we like the place we know we can go back.  There are so many places to see that cruising gives you a chance to explore your options with convenience.

Very true.  There are so many wonderful places to see, so little time--as well as financial and other considerations.  We have seen so much of the world, mostly, but not all, on cruises, and many of these places, at our age, we will probably never see again.  At least we got that one day shore excursion to see the Acropolis, Blue Mosque,  St. Michael's Mont, etc., if we never get to go back.

We are 76 and 77.  This winter we are doing 5 weeks in Australia and New Zealand, including two cruises and about a week of land touring.  Will we ever get back?  Unlikely.  Same for many other places.

We also like places like the Caribbean, which we've cruised multiple times, just for the warm weather in the winter and the ship and being able to be very laid back in ports.

• Like 3

Nebr.cruiser...agree with all of your statements.. spot on for us.

We disembarked last Sunday after an epic voyage that included a visit to Iceland and Greenland.

Why do we cruise? Here's a few pictures my wife took from our balcony...sailing through Prins Christian Sund, Greenland.

* Can't see this from a bus.

20220914_072235.jpg

20220914_071659.jpg

20220914_093927.jpg

20220914_093942.jpg

20220914_094707.jpg

20220914_094253.jpg

20220914_101605.jpg

20220914_104159.jpg

20220914_104017.jpg

20220914_104501.jpg

20220914_104435.jpg

20220914_105247.jpg

20220914_104508.jpg

• Like 8

On 9/17/2022 at 2:43 PM, George C said:

At different ages I had different reasons to cruise, have been on over 70 cruises over nearly 50 years. Currently it’s to be spoiled and entertained, we book suites and are lucky enough to fly first class. 

We are like you, 60+ cruises on 9 different lines over 40 years.  Have family in middle east and Europe, so had a good reason to visit and add a cruise to many places on either end of our trips.  Can't afford first class air but do enjoy mini suite cabins.  Now we are 90/75 so content to go out of our home port of San Francisco, love being at sea.

• Like 2

I cruise purely because I enjoy being on a ship. I’ve been cruising since the 80’s. I generally choose the ship and the itinerary is very rarely a consideration.
When I was younger I was always keen on sailing on the new big ships as they were introduced. 
Nothing was ever close to taking the five night crossing on QE2. Even as QE2 started to feel dated it was always spectacular crossing the North Atlantic. 
Now I avoid large ships when possible.  
The thing that is always in my mind is how the ships and service onboard has changed, both for better and worse.
The cost of cruising  is tiny in comparison to thirty years ago.  I found a receipt a few weeks ago for a NCL Caribbean cruise on the Norway in 1993.   I sailed in a tiny inside cabin for seven nights and paid more than I’m paying for a balcony on Azamara for ten nights in December. 

• Like 4

In 1977 I did a 7 night cruise on the great Rotterdam fare was 600 only because I had a single cabin , if two in the cabin it was just 400 each , fares did go higher in the 90’s , I had inside cabins on the Norway several times another great ship.

16 minutes ago, George C said:

In 1977 I did a 7 night cruise on the great Rotterdam fare was 600 only because I had a single cabin , if two in the cabin it was just 400 each , fares did go higher in the 90’s , I had inside cabins on the Norway several times another great ship.

Booking in the UK was always a financial minefield. Many lines would not allow international bookings in USD’s and we would usually pay a huge amount more in GBP’s.

I paid GBP1694.00 for that seven night cruise.  The exchange rate at the time was hovering around 1.60-1.70 if I recall correctly which makes it around USD2700.00

The inclusive package with flight and one night hotel was only £200 more expensive. 
Fly Cruise seven night Caribbean from Miami seemed to retain a GBP999.00 lead in price for at least ten years.

How times have changed. 

7 hours ago, RW75 said:

The cost of cruising  is tiny in comparison to thirty years ago.  I found a receipt a few weeks ago for a NCL Caribbean cruise on the Norway in 1993.   I sailed in a tiny inside cabin for seven nights and paid more than I’m paying for a balcony on Azamara for ten nights in December. 

I couldn't agree more.  We pay a lot less today than we did 20 years ago.  

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 1:54 PM, K32682 said:

I cruise as a travel option to interesting places that are not easily accessible otherwise, lack sufficient tourism infrastructure or that  seeing for a day or two is enough. Otherwise cruising holds little interest. 

Sounds like you take primarily "expedition" cruises?  Just about every cruise port I've visited could be reached pretty easily with other modes of transportation.   What are some of the "off the beaten path" places you get to see.  

Doing a driving vacation is too stressful for me.  Being on a bus for a long period of time is way to uncomfortable.  Flying is ok, but then once there, you have to plan tours, figure out the transportation, and keep looking at maps so you don't get lost while walking around.  Cruising......you unpack, and watch the world go by from a vantage point that only a ship can provide.  You get to experience far away places as if you are a local.  

• Like 3