The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday October 7th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Bald and Free Day, International Walk to School Day, and World Smile Day

You are, and always have been, my dream.--Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook

Meal Suggestion for today - Daing
Drink of the Day - Smashin Passion
Wine of the Day - Sokol Blosser Evolution Pinot Noir, OR
Destination of the Day - Dawson, Yukon

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 18:00 - 23:30

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 10/08

Nieuw Amsterdam

Avalon, California

Nieuw Statendam

Port Alfred, Canada

Noordam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California

Oosterdam

Valletta, Malta, Gozo Island, Malta, Mgarr Harbour 08:00 - 15:00

Rotterdam

Aarhus, Denmark 07:00 - 18:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Trieste, Italy eta 10/08

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Hawaii

Zaandam

Boston, Massachusetts 08:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Hilo, Hawaii Island eta 10/09

1007World.thumb.png.32a47e94a4dc0163e5caef7db0d95cc3.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 12

Good morning from beautiful Barbados.  

Last night one could actually see the moon and stars.  That is hope for a sunny day today.

We had a lovely dinner last night.  It was a Island Barbecue accompanied by Steel Drum music.  

I had tuna and flying fish and Jim had steak.  

Many lovely starters and sides.  

Everyone is hoping for better weather.

Thank you Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report.  

Interesting collection of days.  i don’t want to be bald. To me that is not the price of freedom.

I lived in New York City growing up, so I always walked to school up until High School.  Then I had to take a bus.

As for World Smile Day.  A smile goes a long way. The world would be a better place if everyone smiled more instead of being angry at each other all the time.  Especially the politicians.

I like the quote.

I will pass on the meal and drinks and I have not been to the destination.

Thank you in advance to Roy for the lists.  Prayers for all on the cares list and cheers to those celebrating.  

I wish all the Dailyites who are cruising together a wonderful time.  Bon Voyage!

I hope everyone has a great Friday and stays safe.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 29

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

I’m not sure how many celebrate walk to school day in these times.  Certainly we walked back in the day but it seems now that many students are picked up by bus no matter the distance.  I’ll happily celebrate Smile Day every day.  A smile goes a long ways.

Love today’s quote  - I’ll have to wait to hear about today’s meal.

Another busy day and it’s time to get down and dirty.  Have my help coming today for the remaining 6 planters & do some winter prep - fencing away, teak tables ]wrapped, etc.,   I have a list. It’s a depressing one as it means that winter is coming.  Ugh.

04C2DD91-8835-4204-9080-157CE3D65C69.thumb.jpeg.566da3b54eeb00b23e9d4d53a93caaf3.jpeg

After that it’s the gardens, cleaning and prepping for the cruise.  Hope no one expects too much out of me for Hallowe’en decor 😉 

E610A343-62EF-4485-93D9-B423D735A32B.thumb.jpeg.a5d5bc34035979c5522b72587aa20bd2.jpeg

We leave 3 weeks from today and my sister and BIL still don’t have their flights ticketed from the flight change by Flight Ease.  Grrrrrr.  They keep being told to “be patient”.  WTH? 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Friday everyone !!!

C5FDD49C-3BEF-49A1-9B03-123B3078E879.thumb.jpeg.1d26daa692da8de940180ad455c8bd20.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 26
  • Haha 7

Thank you for the fleet report and daily Rich.

So far I only have a little discomfort where my 4th vaccine was injected in my right arm yesterday so 🤞.

The sun has finally come out after heavy rain all morning.

My brother and his son were bald in their 20s.

My hair is thinning around my crown 😥 but only in the last 10 years.

Smiling makes people look friendly and more good looking and smiling deserves a day every day.

I used to walk to primary school but when I went to grammar school it was 3 miles away and I got the bus.

I think the quote refers to all our partners.

I have an appointment with my joint doctor on Monday and an x-rays appointment just before my birthday.

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend.

Graham.

• Like 21

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

I’m not sure how many celebrate walk to school day in these times.  Certainly we walked back in the day but it seems now that many students are picked up by bus no matter the distance.  I’ll happily celebrate Smile Day every day.  A smile goes a long ways.

Love today’s quote  - I’ll have to wait to hear about today’s meal.

Another busy day and it’s time to get down and dirty.  Have my help coming today for the remaining 6 planters & do some winter prep - fencing away, teak tables ]wrapped, etc.,   I have a list. It’s a depressing one as it means that winter is coming.  Ugh.

04C2DD91-8835-4204-9080-157CE3D65C69.thumb.jpeg.566da3b54eeb00b23e9d4d53a93caaf3.jpeg

After that it’s the gardens, cleaning and prepping for the cruise.  Hope no one expects too much out of me for Hallowe’en decor 😉 

E610A343-62EF-4485-93D9-B423D735A32B.thumb.jpeg.a5d5bc34035979c5522b72587aa20bd2.jpeg

We leave 3 weeks from today and my sister and BIL still don’t have their flights ticketed from the flight change by Flight Ease.  Grrrrrr.  They keep being told to “be patient”.  WTH? 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Friday everyone !!!

C5FDD49C-3BEF-49A1-9B03-123B3078E879.thumb.jpeg.1d26daa692da8de940180ad455c8bd20.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

Nice post but I had to acknowledge your funny memes.

Graham.

• Like 13

Thank you for the TGIF report, Rich.  I'll take a pass on Bald and Free but will celebrate National Smile day and the start of a long weekend in both the US and Canada.  I never walked to school but did ride my bicycle a number of times.  I love the Sparks quote.  I've been to Dawson 2 or 3 times.  No idea what the meal is.  My alternative is fruit cup, blueberry soup, and ice cream as served on MS Amsterdam October 7, 2017.  It was intentionally a very light dinner after a big lunch in the Pinnacle Grill.  It was supposed to be a visit to Dutch Harbor but the port call was cancelled due to storms and the Pinnacle suddenly became available for lunch.

dishes07.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Loretta Lynn 10/4/22
Horrific damage from Ian
Western wildfires
Tthose in Fiona’s wake
JazzyV car issues
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

3 days to first BHB in Everglades
double jabs for grapau27
Dailyite gathering in Quebec
Cruzin Terri in Barbados  to 10/17
2 days for Oceansaway17 (Oasis OTS 10/9 to 10/16)
1 days for Cunnorl (Noordam 10/8 to 1/2/23)
1 days for Cruising-Along(10/29), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam 10/8 to 10/22)
1 days for HAL4NOW (Koningsdam 10/8 to 10/24)
Rowsby in Hawaii until 10/28
Mister67(Clelebrity Infinity to 10/8, Lemonade cruise),  LoveTheBeach (Adventure OTS  to 10/8), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10),   Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15), MissG (Avalon Imagery II to 10/6; then Oosterdam 10/10 to 10/22),  Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!    Another early morning for me, off to have a bone density test.  Because we get to go past the donut place, DH has offered to go with me.  The alarm was set , and had buzzed, and then the Tazi cat  who was sleeping on the bed started hurling, which got me out of bed, no hitting the alarm again for me!  Current temp is 52, clear, and an expected high of 83.

I finally got the reservations done for the Vancouver hotel next May.  Oddly enough when booking I was looking at the pictures of the hotel and realized we had stayed there the last time we were in Vancouver back in 2016.  I asked for the quote in American dollars, and she send me the confirmation in Canadian dollars.  I asked for two rooms, one with one person in it, and the other with two people in it.  Both rooms show 2 people.  Apparently doing the reservation over the phone didn't help me with someone actually understanding me.

The crown that fell out yesterday was not painful...until I breathe in cold air.  So my iced coffee is off for at least a week.

@Cruzin TerriGlad the clouds parted!

It's an F1 weekend, racing in Japan.  The time difference will allow me to sleep and watch at my leisure.  I wont be up at 1 am to watch a race.  I still have some sanity left...?

Have a wonderful Friday! 

237269-Smile-Its-Finally-Friday.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Daing is a Filipino term which refers to a vast category of marinated or salted sun-dried fish. Depending on the region and the technique, daing can be produced with various types of fish that may differ in texture and moisture levels. Marinated or dried fish is used in numerous Filipino dishes as an ingredient, side dish, topping, or a condiment which gives flavor to various stewed or stir-fried dishes. Though it originated as a preservation technique, today it is produced in many traditional Filipino households and sold at numerous markets throughout the country.

This recipe uses chanos chanos; commonly known as bangus in the Phillipines. It is also known as milkfish because these fish have white, flaky flesh that is tender when cooked. After being steamed, pan-fried, or seared, the meat has a color closely resembling milk. As a result, locals began to call these creatures milkfish. I have eaten this fish in Hawaii where it is called awa.  Milkfishes commonly live in tropical offshore marine waters around islands and along continental shelves, at depths of 1 to 30 meters. They also frequently enter estuaries and rivers.

This recipe contains a video which describes how to gut, butterfly, and debone the fish.

https://www.kawalingpinoy.com/daing-na-bangus/#More_bangus_recipes

fried butterflied milkfish on a white plate with steamed rice and chopped tomatoes

I learned a lot  about Filipino cooking while research this recipe but I did not find many variations for preparing daing.

https://panlasangpinoy.com/daing-na-bangus-fried-milkfish-marinated-in-vinegar/

daing na bangus

• Like 16
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

I'm slow today.  Our spell of nice weather has ended and today has an expected high of 8°C (46°F) and chance of showers.  I need to get a few groceries, I'm sure the stores will be very busy, it's Thanksgiving weekend and we have much to be thankful for.

Bald is beautiful (on men, not on me!).  I walked to school for a few years, then I was bused then I walked to high school.  Love smiles, I can sometimes tell if someone is smiling behind their mask.🙂

Love the quote.

Not sure about the meal, I'll wait to see the recipe.  I hope the drink and wine are tasty.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a good Friday.

Stay safe.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

I walked to school in Kindergarten and First grade...I would walk across the street, through my friends yard, and I was at school...second and third grade we were living in France then, and I got the bus to go one hour to school in Paris, and an hour back.  fourth, fifth and 6th grade, walked more than a mile to go to middle school, and then I went to private school that was about 10 miles away, and took the bus.

We dont have many kids in this neighborhood, but they all ride the bus, I dont even know after living here for more than 17 years, where the schools are near me.  They aren't near me.

You can hear a smile, even if the person has a mask on.  I had a boss who gave us all small mirrors to place in front of us when we were on the phones,  just to check ourselves and make sure the smiles are on!

DH went bald after years on chemo.  (he was going bald anyway, but didn't want to believe that).  He looks good bald.  He has the right head for it.  I think anyone who has gone through chemo and lost their hair is more than beautiful.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 26

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Especially since you were up so early to post it!  Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. 

It is another spectacular morning here. My County has already started picking up storm debris in bags or containers, so now all that is left in my community is the big yard debris - trees. And we did not loose too many of those. I need to get to the gym. I am going to try a new class this morning. 

This evening a few of us are getting together with an instructor from my former gym. It will be good to see everyone. It has been awhile. 

@richwmn. Rich, your beard may have to grow a bit longer, but look how useful that could be!

728B0C6A-35E6-4E2C-977D-6E3D95F3AE77.jpeg.e9bebdd86a1d409788fc874551828414.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Sokol Blosser Evolution Pinot Noir

I used the 2019 vintage’s info, but all released vintages are close in ratings and price. I know ai have enjoyed this wine. It is a nice PN. Available from numerous online distributors with prices starting at $14.98.

90 Wine Enthusiast 

• Critic tasting note: "A classy new label design marks the continuing evolution of Evolution Pinot Noir. Fruit driven, loosely knit and full of ripe, juicy blackberry flavors, this affordable and accessible wine is a nice mix of estate and purchased Willamette Valley grapes. It's the sort of all-purpose, no frills Pinot Noir that's tough to find at this price. Nothing fancy, totally honest and thoroughly drinkable. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Daing is a Filipino term which refers to a vast category of marinated or salted sun-dried fish. Depending on the region and the technique, daing can be produced with various types of fish that may differ in texture and moisture levels. Marinated or dried fish is used in numerous Filipino dishes as an ingredient, side dish, topping, or a condiment which gives flavor to various stewed or stir-fried dishes. Though it originated as a preservation technique, today it is produced in many traditional Filipino households and sold at numerous markets throughout the country.

This recipe uses chanos chanos; commonly known as bangus in the Phillipines. It is also known as milkfish because these fish have white, flaky flesh that is tender when cooked. After being steamed, pan-fried, or seared, the meat has a color closely resembling milk. As a result, locals began to call these creatures milkfish. I have eaten this fish in Hawaii where it is called awa.  Milkfishes commonly live in tropical offshore marine waters around islands and along continental shelves, at depths of 1 to 30 meters. They also frequently enter estuaries and rivers.

This recipe contains a video which describes how to gut, butterfly, and debone the fish.

https://www.kawalingpinoy.com/daing-na-bangus/#More_bangus_recipes

fried butterflied milkfish on a white plate with steamed rice and chopped tomatoes

I learned a lot  about Filipino cooking while research this recipe but I did not find many variations for preparing daing.

https://panlasangpinoy.com/daing-na-bangus-fried-milkfish-marinated-in-vinegar/

daing na bangus

Thank you for covering our MotD!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Fleet Update and other general information.

RNB back on line. We were very very very lucky with only minor issues as it relates to the Hurricane. But it took some time to clean up and I am back for another cruise story from years ago, in a time far far away, well actually 25 years ago. I call this cruise story

Captain, may I introduce to you Mr. RedneckBob and the Misses

You probably have no idea where this is going so hear goes. Approximately 25 years ago me and the Misses decided to go on a Caribbean cruise out of our home port, Tampa, over Thanksgiving on the Veendam. It was a last minute decision so we got a great deal, less than $400 for seven days. We were assigned an inside cabin on the bottom deck, Cabin 776. When we got to the cabin, I understood why it was a great deal. There was this door on the side wall, the size of one of those trash or linen chute doors like you see in a high rise condo and this sign over the door that said, “Close door after you finish shoveling coal”. 😯. Then later that night as we retired we heard this noise on the back wall of the cabin. It was the crew stairwell, a metal stairwell.

Well, so to speak, that was the only issue during the cruise, for the next seven days we were treated as #1 people not like back home where sometimes I am treated like #2 😀. For some reason we were invited to all the events that the people in Suites attended. Captain’s cocktail party, Dinner with the Captain and Dinner at Thanksgiving with the Hotel Manager. Let’s start with the Captain’s cocktail party. It was very nice with all the passengers in Suites attending. But it did not last long due to the feeling of not suppose to be there. I met this very distinguished, elegant and refined lady who was very articulate and began a conversation with me. I asked her, “ Where are y’all from”, for which she replied, “ North of Los Angeles”. Having just completed a two week assignment in Lancaster, Ca just north of LA, I asked the lady if she was from Lancaster, for which she replied, “Heavens NO, I am from Santa Barbara”. Well, that ended that conversations. Then while I was downing a Miller Lite a man walked up to me and in a foreign accent said, “What a great party”, which I replied , “Yes”. Then he said, “It is so nice that we don’t have to mingle with those other people on the ship”. 😳. Well, it was time to get out of here and so we left.

Next up, Dinner with the Captain. Years ago it was normal for the Captain to have dinner with all the people in Suites. Sometimes tables would be setup around the Lido Pool but in our case it was on the lower deck in the old Hudson Room. When we arrived each dinner plate had a little sign with your name and cabin number. See photo below. I kept the sign but changed the name to protect the innocent. To the left of me was Cabin 003 and to the right of me Cabin 005. Both people at those seats asked me if there was a mistake with our cabin number and I said no. I did not know why we were hear. It was great dinner with the Captain and several of his officers.

Finally, Thanksgiving dinner with the Hotel Manager, Nick Burger. Mr. Burger was a. very nice man, who we got to know very well. There were four couples from the suites at the table besides  Mr. Burger and his guest. It was a great dinner.

As far as a conclusion to this great cruise, we finally found out why we were chosen to attend all these events for the suites. On the last day of the cruise, Mr. Burger came up to the Misses and said, “You were chosen because though you were not in Suites, you are Sweet People”. 

547E92D4-FD63-4720-80B6-603116BF18E2.thumb.jpeg.e80da990056743750ff2d49f5cb1ce7b.jpeg

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 23
  • Haha 8

Good morning friends!  Happy Friday!  It's about 48F and sunny, with an expected high of 83 later.  The weather has been outstanding for weeks which means soon we'll be in a drought.  After all that rain we had.  It's crazy!

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor posting our Daily so early today.  Hope you're having a good time.  Well, I have a day off from posting photos since I've never been to Dawson, Yukon.  It is also a first time port of the day so it will be interesting to see any photos you might have.  Thanks in advance!  Baldness is fine on men but please no, not for me!  Many of us walked to school back in the day but it doesn't happen often anymore unless you live down the street from one.  Love smiles on people -- frowns not so much.  I like that quote.  I had no idea what daing was but when I saw marinated or salted sun dried fish I was out.  No thank you!  

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor keeping up with the lists which are extensive, or at least the Celebration list is.  Prayers for our Care list plus the citizens of Ukraine and all suffering after Ian and Fiona.  I hope the looters I hear about on the news get what's coming to them.  Haven't people suffered enough?  Cheers and bon voyage to all the cruisers.  The numbers are getting low here!  The rest of us will have to step up and carry on till they return.  

Jacqui @kazuthanks for the great memes.  Good luck getting all the work done and thank goodness you have help coming in.  Terri @Cruzin Terrienjoy this somewhat sunny day after all that rain.  Insurance companies aways try to delay and avoid paying out unfortunately.  When our neighbor down the street had a house fire (total loss) it took months to get the insurance straightened out and permits obtained.  Then the contractor worked as quickly as possible.  But I think it took a year or maybe 15 months to complete.  I'm sure you will enjoy the final results at your home.  By the way, the homeowner was a retired insurance executive/agent!  I'm sue he was fully insured.

Well, have to go see what DH is up to.  Enjoy your day all!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF report, Rich.  I'll take a pass on Bald and Free but will celebrate National Smile day and the start of a long weekend in both the US and Canada.  I never walked to school but did ride my bicycle a number of times.  I love the Sparks quote.  I've been to Dawson 2 or 3 times.  No idea what the meal is.  My alternative is fruit cup, blueberry soup, and ice cream as served on MS Amsterdam October 7, 2017.  It was intentionally a very light dinner after a big lunch in the Pinnacle Grill.  It was supposed to be a visit to Dutch Harbor but the port call was cancelled due to storms and the Pinnacle suddenly became available for lunch.

dishes07.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Loretta Lynn 10/4/22
Horrific damage from Ian
Western wildfires
Tthose in Fiona’s wake
JazzyV car issues
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

3 days to first BHB in Everglades
double jabs for grapau27
Dailyite gathering in Quebec
Cruzin Terri in Barbados  to 10/17
2 days for Oceansaway17 (Oasis OTS 10/9 to 10/16)
1 days for Cunnorl (Noordam 10/8 to 1/2/23)
1 days for Cruising-Along(10/29), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam 10/8 to 10/22)
1 days for HAL4NOW (Koningsdam 10/8 to 10/24)
Rowsby in Hawaii until 10/28
Mister67(Clelebrity Infinity to 10/8, Lemonade cruise),  LoveTheBeach (Adventure OTS  to 10/8), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10),   Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15), MissG (Avalon Imagery II to 10/6; then Oosterdam 10/10 to 10/22),  Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy and my mention.

I have an appointment to see my joint specialist on Monday and an x-rays appointment on my hips and possibly my painful feet in a few weeks time.

Graham 

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 12

Good morning,

I woke up and misread the time and posted the Fleet Report and Daily. When I realized what time it actually was, I went back to sleep and slept later than I have in a very long time.

It is currently raining in Ottawa after two lovely days. Later today I will change location to visit another couple here in Ottawa, then board the train tomorrow for Quebec City. I'm looking forward to the cruise and seeing many old friends again.

Hope everyone has a great day!

• Like 35

4 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Good morning,

I woke up and misread the time and posted the Fleet Report and Daily. When I realized what time it actually was, I went back to sleep and slept later than I have in a very long time.

It is currently raining in Ottawa after two lovely days. Later today I will change location to visit another couple here in Ottawa, then board the train tomorrow for Quebec City. I'm looking forward to the cruise and seeing many old friends again.

Hope everyone has a great day!

I'm sorry you woke up early but glad you got some more sleep afterwards.  We're just glad to see a Daily each day.  Hope the rain doesn't last and you have a good visit with friends.  Thank you once again for all you do!

• Like 18