The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday October 12th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning.  The plan is to release DH today.  Discharge is usually about noon, so we are waiting to see what happens.   

We both slept better last night than we expected.  I was sleeping in the recliner which lays almost flat. It's not the most comfortable but that didn't seem to matter last night.

DH is doing better today and has walked twice.  With everything they have been giving him, so far he is not in pain.  I hope the prescriptions they are giving him work as well.

Now, I'll go back and read the Fleet/Daily.

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

@Quartzsite Cruiser I am glad that both you and your DH got a good nights sleep.  It was nice that you could stay with him.  And they gave you chocolate chip cookies.  I wish hospitals around Atlanta were as nice.  It's an hour from DH's Emory Hospital, and because of the herd of Cat-tle here, I always had to go home, feed them, and either go back and come back, or just let him rest,  He has at one time spent more than a week.

What kind of pain would he be in?  From the surgery itself or from the disc replacement?  I hope he becomes pain free soon, and that whatever prescription they give you,  you can get if filled faster than when the pain returns.

We had our zoom meeting, my boss apparently does not have wifi, or a home, I cant tell which, as the zoom was from his friends house, and he set up a trial free account, instead of the company account.

Weird....  But I don't feel like working too hard, he has us set up for another meeting at 4,  So I will go back around 2:15 . work until the next meeting, and then clock out until my other gig starts.

I made Rueben's with pastrami  for lunch , they were great!!!  I will make them for dinner tomorrow night too.  We are still eating the spaghetti casserole, tonight will make 3 nights in a row.  I don't think that I will have it again tomorrow....

• Like 21

Good day and thanks all!  
@kazuyay on the car loan! 
@HAL Sailer I’m sorry to hear the cancer has spread, praying the treatment works. 
@Quartzsite Cruiser glad you had a good night!  
have fun cruising  Dailyites! 
@marshhawk  I hear you on the repeats, it will be day four of Turkey, lol.   Had it deep fried,  smoked, in sandwiches and next in soup, lol!  But I love it! 
I am thankful all three of my orchids are blooming, two after nearly a year hiatus! 

AA17BDB2-9EEA-438F-A53D-C9FEB1A88C43.jpeg

• Like 24

7 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

😪Difficult news.😪 

Due to new symptoms, my 90 year old DSIL (DH's sister) had a follow-up to her PET scan as that scan is not good at detecting melanoma in some tissue. Sadly, it has spread further.

She will continue aggressive treatment; now with Keytruda immunotherapy . 

There is some hope. Always hope. And, since my DH's dementia doesn't let him understand her battle, I will continue to pray with him for his sister's cure.

But, a medical friend has warned me that my DSIL's agressive treatment decisions may be more an attempt to stop the melanoma from reaching her brain – with agonizingly painful results – than about any possible cure. As a retired RN, my DSIL would know the unrepentant march of melanoma and understand her choices.

Previously, she had not wanted us to come, but she has now suggested a visit next week. I will take my DH then.

Thank you for your continued prayers and thank you @rafinmd for keeping her on the Rotation List.

-😪Melisa😪

I am so very sorry to hear this Melissa 😢 So very sad and so hard on your DSIL and the entire family 😔 

I think a visit is a very good idea now and so glad you will go to visit.

She and all of you are in my prayers 🙏 

6 hours ago, 0106 said:

Could you share a link to the published cookbooks?

Gerry shared the link so I will just add - here is a pic of their FB site.

A440F620-6758-48DF-86A4-94CF7ADE8823.thumb.jpeg.87804025114515fab06cb08ebb18a3ae.jpeg

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning.  The plan is to release DH today.  Discharge is usually about noon, so we are waiting to see what happens.   

We both slept better last night than we expected.  I was sleeping in the recliner which lays almost flat. It's not the most comfortable but that didn't seem to matter last night.

This is such good news!  Delighted to hear about your DH’s progress Lenda.  I pray it continues and there is huge improvement for him 🙏 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

*****Just received an email from HAL.  
  $ 1 deposit today only ****

My rep from HAL called me about this today. Only select dates and you must pay for the "Have it All" package. So we passed as we do not drink and would lose $$$$. Plus an FYI- the price suddenly went up $280 overnight for the cruise we will be taking next fall. smh

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Greetings on this overcast spring day, temperatureabout 13 C. 

Thanks for all the daily information, and photos of today's destination.

@kazu you have a very good kind neighbour to loan her car to you.

@Heartgrove sorry to read that your DB died, sending condolences to you.

@HAL Sailer sorry to read about your DSI, safe travelling to visit her.

@bennybear thanks for sharing the photo of your beautiful Orchids.

Best wishes to all.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

It's now 11:40 and we're still waiting.  I suspect it will  be after lunch before we get discharged.  Aftern  busy morning, we're both mainly resting.

ER nurses deserve special recognition, but I'll also salute all nurses.  My great grandfather had a farm, and it has been passed down in the family, but the land is now rented to two brothers who run calves in the summer on part of the land and grow corn on more of the land.  For many years, I collected cookbooks.  I found I used only a few recipes from each book, so over the past 20 years, I've put them on the computer and printed cookbooks to keep in Texas and Arizona.  Once the used bookstore reopened last year, I took most of the cookbooks there.  I still have several favorites, plus my mother's recipe cards.

I like the quote of the day.

The meal and wine sound good, but we'll pass on the drink.

We were scheduled to stop in Saint Pierre and Mieuelon in 2019 on Veendam.  It was too rough with bad weather for us to tender.  The weather was so bad, I couldn't get a picture from the ship.

@kazu  Jacqui, how nice of your neighbor to loan you her car.

@HAL Sailer Melisa,  I'm sorry your DSIL's cancer has spread.  I hope the treatment will halt or at least slow the spread.  It is good you and DH can visit next week.

@kplady  Thanks forvthe pictures.

This post was interrupted by a whirlwind, or at least what seemed like a whirlwind.  About 12:15 to 12:30 things started moving fast.  Fortunately, we finished lunch, but I just had to stop writing without a second to post what had been written.  To tell you how quickly things happened, I didn't even have time to finish my chocolate chip cookie until later.

First the physical therapist came in and cleared DH, then the nurse changed the dressing followed by getting DH dressed. Some where in all that, the nurse went over all then instructions and gave us the prescriptions we needed filled.  The nurse and I then took everything out to the car.  While I loaded the car and moved the car, the nurse got DH.  We were heading out the parking lot at 1 pm.

We dropped off the prescriptions and were home before three.  After getting him settled in bed and unloading the car, I headed back to pick up the meds.  This was after making DH promise to not move from the bed.  

Even when I got back there was a lot to unpack and put away in addition to taking care of DH.  Boy don't I wish I could have taken one of the wonderful nurses home with us for a few days.  In my opinion ALL nurses rock!  DH is asleep and I'm relaxing.

Now, back to our interrupted post.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope the GI doc can get to the cause of the tummy issues.

Now, I can catch up on the afternoon posts.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

@Quartzsite Cruiser  Sympathizing with your busy day.  

92cd36f66b86dce73a3eb9b85427d5e3.jpg

And if any one of our Dailyies have been accused of having weird friends-

Maine-Coon-kitten-sleep.jpg

The odd thing about this rat is that I own him too.  He is part of the Ratatouille game set.  The one I have is in my purse, and when I'm at the docs, and they tell me to make a fist, so they can take blood,  I get out the rat.  It startles the nurses....LOL.

@bennybearI love your orchids.

@JazzyVI really do hope they can figure out what is going on with your tummy.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Well, it didn't take me that long to finish reading the rest of the Daily.

7 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser I am glad that both you and your DH got a good nights sleep.  It was nice that you could stay with him.  And they gave you chocolate chip cookies.  I wish hospitals around Atlanta were as nice.  It's an hour from DH's Emory Hospital, and because of the herd of Cat-tle here, I always had to go home, feed them, and either go back and come back, or just let him rest,  He has at one time spent more than a week.

What kind of pain would he be in?  From the surgery itself or from the disc replacement?  I hope he becomes pain free soon, and that whatever prescription they give you,  you can get if filled faster than when the pain returns.

We had our zoom meeting, my boss apparently does not have wifi, or a home, I cant tell which, as the zoom was from his friends house, and he set up a trial free account, instead of the company account.

Weird....  But I don't feel like working too hard, he has us set up for another meeting at 4,  So I will go back around 2:15 . work until the next meeting, and then clock out until my other gig starts.

I made Rueben's with pastrami  for lunch , they were great!!!  I will make them for dinner tomorrow night too.  We are still eating the spaghetti casserole, tonight will make 3 nights in a row.  I don't think that I will have it again tomorrow....

Annie, this is a small regional hospital in a small Texas town.  They really take care of the patients and one family member.  It's about an hour and 15 minutes from us, but that is where the surgeon whose office is Waco operates.  The second surgery uses a new machine to put the zip ties in to stabilize the vertebrae.  This was the only hospital willing to buy the machine for the new surgery technique.  I think they saw it as a way to get more patients and income.  There were plenty of empty rooms too.  Not only do they let the spouse stay in the room, meals are provided.  At lunch and supper we each got two big, fresh chocolate chip cookies (which is a choice on the menu), except today I got canned peaches.  We could only eat one cookie each at a meal, so I brought the rest home.  Their food was good too, and you could order small meals or full hot meals.  There scrambled eggs this morning were really good, and I think they used real eggs, not the liquid stuff and cooked them to order.  Their sandwiches were simple but very good.  Basically, the food was prepared fresh and was not institutional.  It sure beats driving to Dallas.

Right now, DH does not have any pain, but has meds for moderate pain and severe pain, plus a muscle relaxer and an antibiotic.  It's enough to last through the second procedure and recovery.  Interestingly, while there are internal stiches, the incision is closed with four tiny zipties. I even got a picture of them, but won't share since it might gross some people out.

BTW, I don't like having the same left overs several days in a row.  With casseroles, I divide the leftovers into enough for individual portions and freeze them to be reheated later.  Sure is nice for quick meals in a hurry for several nights.

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@0106 here is the link to the cookbook publishing site; if you are on Facebook, search for The Official Quarantine Cookbook.

https://theofficialquarantinecookbook.ca/

Thanks for the link to the cookbook.

6 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good day and thanks all!  
@kazuyay on the car loan! 
@HAL Sailer I’m sorry to hear the cancer has spread, praying the treatment works. 
@Quartzsite Cruiser glad you had a good night!  
have fun cruising  Dailyites! 
@marshhawk  I hear you on the repeats, it will be day four of Turkey, lol.   Had it deep fried,  smoked, in sandwiches and next in soup, lol!  But I love it! 
I am thankful all three of my orchids are blooming, two after nearly a year hiatus! 

AA17BDB2-9EEA-438F-A53D-C9FEB1A88C43.jpeg

Your orchids are beautiful.

5 hours ago, kazu said:

I am so very sorry to hear this Melissa 😢 So very sad and so hard on your DSIL and the entire family 😔 

Gerry shared the link so I will just add - here is a pic of their FB site.

A440F620-6758-48DF-86A4-94CF7ADE8823.thumb.jpeg.87804025114515fab06cb08ebb18a3ae.jpeg

This is such good news!  Delighted to hear about your DH’s progress Lenda.  I pray it continues and there is huge improvement for him 🙏 

Jacqui, thanks for the link tomthe groups FB page.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser  Sympathizing with your busy day.  

92cd36f66b86dce73a3eb9b85427d5e3.jpg

And if any one of our Dailyies have been accused of having weird friends-

Maine-Coon-kitten-sleep.jpg

The odd thing about this rat is that I own him too.  He is part of the Ratatouille game set.  The one I have is in my purse, and when I'm at the docs, and they tell me to make a fist, so they can take blood,  I get out the rat.  It startles the nurses....LOL.

@bennybearI love your orchids.

@JazzyVI really do hope they can figure out what is going on with your tummy.

Love both memes.

Lenda

• Like 8

14 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

@HAL SailerSad news.  Prayers for your family. 

13 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@HAL Sailer  I'm sorry that your DSIL is going through this.  If she is suggesting that you visit, I would take her up on that.  It will make her happy, and at her age with this disease, who knows when you will get the chance again.

13 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

@HAL Sailerprayers for your DSIL.  I am sorry to hear this.  I didn’t mention you in my post because we were probably posting at the same time.

Prayers for her and your family as she goes through this difficult time.

Terri

13 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

@HAL Sailer I am so sorry to hear about your DH's sister's cancer progression.   Prayers for her and your family.  

13 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Melisa, I will keep you all in my prayers. Especially your DSIL - that the treatments can stop the spread of the melanoma. 

13 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@HAL Sailerthat is sad news about your DSIL.  I will continue to pray for her.

13 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@HAL Sailer, Melisa, I am so sorry to hear the news about your DSIL but hope you and DH can enjoy a visit.

12 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

@HAL Sailer I am so sorry about your DSIL melanoma and upcoming treatment.  Having worked for a doctor who did skin cancer repair surgery after Mohs excision I can totally understand what she is going through. Prayers for her as she goes through this. Good to hear you and your DH are going to visit. 

12 hours ago, superoma said:

@HAL Sailerso sorry to hear about your DSIL and wishing you and DH a safe journey when you go to see her.

12 hours ago, aliaschief said:

@HAL SailerSorry to hear your sad news of the day.🙏.

12 hours ago, irishjim said:

sending lots  of  prayer to you all.

12 hours ago, rafinmd said:

@HAL Sailer. so sorry to hear about your DSIL's latest developments.

12 hours ago, rafinmd said:

11 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Melisa I'm sorry 😞 to hear the news of your DSIL. She's lifted in prayer.

11 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

11 hours ago, Cat in my lap said:

@HAL SailerMelisa, I will be praying for your DSil.

10 hours ago, dfish said:

May your visit with DSIL bring her comfort and peace.

10 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@Heartgrove

@HAL Sailer So sorry to hear of DSIL's cancer spread. Prayers for her, your DH and all the family. I'm glad DH is getting to visit her.@Cruzin Terri

@kplady

10 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Also Melisa @HAL Sailer I'm sorry to hear of your DSIL's melanoma progression.   I hope the treatments help to prevent any more spread, and wish you a safe trip to visit her in the near future. 

8 hours ago, bennybear said:

6 hours ago, kazu said:

1 hour ago, erewhon said:

@HAL Sailer sorry to read about your DSI, safe travelling to visit her.

@bennybear

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu

@HAL Sailer Melisa,  I'm sorry your DSIL's cancer has spread.  I hope the treatment will halt or at least slow the spread.  It is good you and DH can visit next week.

Everyone -- Thank you for your words of support and your 💙s and 🏆s. It means more than you can know for my DSIL to be held in your prayer and care. I will keep you updated on her journey.

-Melisa

P.S. Please excuse my very clumsy attempt at multi-quoting.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Update on the veg fest: asparagus, cheese, and bread for lunch; avocado, green beans, potato, and fish for dinner. You'll notice the absence of fruit, because what I have isn't ripe enough to eat. The green beans aren't keeping well and I should cook the rest tomorrow.

Although I didn't develop fever, I've felt exhausted all day. The Junior Cat kept me company.

Having cancelled the January cruise, I'm now looking for some other vacation for January or February.  I haven't come up with anything that I would want to do.

• Like 11

Good Evening Everyone!

Haven't posted in a while but still check in to see what is happening with everyone.  My prayers to those who have lost loved one recently.

I am a retired ER nurse.  Worked 29 years in ER it was good career, but one day I realized that I had just had enough, put my notice in  the next day...............hind sight it was fortunate that I did as it was 2019 I just got out before Covid, my colleagues that I am still in touch with have had an awful time (at times I felt guilty that I wasn't with them, but I found a different part time job and now work with one of my former colleagues!  We make quite a team with our background. ( I am supposed to be retired but keep going back ................guess I am not quite ready to retire completely!)

Hubby and I are still looking for a Panama Canal cruise for next year, a lot depends on Dads needs so we haven't made any firm plans.  We enjoy reading about those of you that have been on some recent cruises and sharing your pictures!  Thank you for sharing!

Denise

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserthanks for the update on all the hospital happenings yesterday.  I hope your DH (Steve?) had a comfortable night and you got plenty of sleep too.  You have a big job as caregiver and need to take care of yourself as well as him.  You're both in my prayers.🙏

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Scenic Luxury River Cruises. We’re excited as it is our first river cruise.

Thank you Bruce. 

21 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

It’s Anne of Green Gables Chocolates. They are downtown, I think on Queen Street.

Darn, we ended up not having enough time to go back out prior to our tour. Thank you for the recommendation though. 

• Like 4