The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday October 21st, 2022

richwmn

Good afternoon from sunny, breezy,, warm central Texas.  It's currently 86F.

We finally have some answers about Monday.   The good news is we will not have leave for the surgery at o'dark 30.  They added a fourth patient to the surgery list, and DH's surgery is scheduled last.  We don't have to be there until noon.  DSIL will help with the morning shower with special soap early, then he and DD will back to Austin.  When it's time to leave, we'll get the EMTs to come help get DH in the car.  Those people are wonderful.

International nacho day is my day of choice.  I have too many buttons to count and probably need to get rid of some.  Babies babbling is cute, but not adults.

I think the quote is true.

We'll pass on the meal, drink, and wine.  

We have been to today's port twice.  The first time was in 1999 on Noordam III in the pre digital age.  The second time was in 2015 on Ruby Princess,  the same cruise @StLouisCruisers Sandi and her DH were on.  I'll look for pictures later.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope you can get the doable problem fixed, and that you can work something out with HAL.

@aliaschief  Bruce enjoy Toulon, a lovely town.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you and your twin.

@ger_77  Gerry, what genius did the routing for your flight?  I hope you can get it straightened out.

@ottahand7  I'm  glad your DB got all the problems from his surgery fixed, and they should not have happened.  I guess your DB will not be recommending the surgeon to his friends.  😁

@AncientWanderer  Thank you for your pictures of the tour in Puerto Quetzal.  That gives us another option.

@sailingdutchy  Tony, thank you for sharing your pictures of some of HAL's wonderful crew.

I'll go look for pictures now.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

These sound most interesting.  Can you come back after them and give a brief report.  Cruise Critic is available Night and Day.  😉

Clever!

Just checking in for the afternoon.  The Air Canada rep "Maria" phoned about an hour after I left my number and was able to straighten out the flights.  She looked up the booking number and said "What genius thought this was a good idea?"  My thoughts, exactly.  Now we're scheduled on a later flight, so we don't have to fly off the ship at warp speed to get to the airport in time for an 11AM departure after a relaxing 3 week cruise.  Now we leave FLL at 1:30 and although we still have to go through Toronto, at least we've got a long layover to allow for the usual delays that happen there.

@Quartzsite CruiserI'm glad you don't have to get up at the crack of dark to get your DH back to the hospital for his second surgery.  And what good fortune to have family who can help with his pre-surgery preparations.   Please tell your DH you've got lots of friends sending good wishes for successful surgery.

Have a good evening, everyone!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We finally have some answers about Monday.   The good news is we will not have leave for the surgery at o'dark 30.  They added a fourth patient to the surgery list, and DH's surgery is scheduled last.  We don't have to be there until noon.

YIPPEE 🙂. Great news!

7 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

The Air Canada rep "Maria" phoned about an hour after I left my number and was able to straighten out the flights.  She looked up the booking number and said "What genius thought this was a good idea?"  My thoughts, exactly.  Now we're scheduled on a later flight, so we don't have to fly off the ship at warp speed to get to the airport in time for an 11AM departure after a relaxing 3 week cruise. 

YIPPEE. more good news.

I’m doing a happy dance for you both.

6CE9C978-3280-495B-A138-F6A463F5C690.gif.d1f74ab8115a925d4d8c6118474bc3c2.gif

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On our second stop in Salvador da Bahia, we found a three hour tour of the city in the terminal.  At the first stop, we found they had put us on the bus for the six hour tour.  We just quietly removed our different colored wrist bands and enjoyed the extended tour.  Not only did we see the sights of the upper city, we went around the bay to see a different area.

These are random pictures from our day, and I don't remeber exactly what some of them are.

A fort at the entrance to the bay.

DSC02256.thumb.JPG.bf5bb69202311419d3e60d30ecaeea64.JPG

Part of the fishing fleet

DSC02259.thumb.JPG.d7677df4d28e8e69a6d214125d41b3da.JPG

A market

DSC02260.thumb.JPG.4aa523114f13e796fa88ae86616ad331.JPG

DSC02263.thumb.JPG.7c4716f2fc1651a3c31063eaa979e761.JPG

A pretty beachDSC02271.thumb.JPG.9e4cce2207b687efc692c18280936e75.JPG

We saw several churches including these two.

DSC02272.thumb.JPG.a868440ca08fe9f9d649d7984a83b7a2.JPG

DSC02274.thumb.JPG.a6f631eb42b925699e0321436957e3b6.JPG

DSC02281.thumb.JPG.a0272a2761c92fe4268e8da6dfc8f406.JPG

A fort around the bay

DSC02299.thumb.JPG.79405766d10f5bd953ed018afbac111e.JPG

Looking at the upper level of town from the ship, showing the different ways to reach the upper level.

DSC02341.thumb.JPG.a1b156952e9a1a49e2409200e4a578df.JPG

DSC02331.thumb.JPG.652b794956b4d26e4115aac79415fbfe.JPG

A square in the upper level.

DSC02324.thumb.JPG.a40202b052c278b496e174be23fa0266.JPG

Carnival decorations

DSC02310.thumb.JPG.19f111b992dafd82e22cd22f53faeea2.JPG

Looking down to the lower level while waiting for the elevator.

DSC02323.thumb.JPG.ad88d385e34ce2085080e2f84c6ffcaa.JPG

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Good evening. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I try not to babble, I have my Mother's button tin but have never counted them, and I like nachos! Sadly true quote. I'll pass on the meal (fish) and drink. Maybe on the wine.

I haven't been to Salvador da Bahia, Brazil.

It's been a busy day for me. There was a nice increase in the temperature to 62F and it has been sunny. I think my throat being sore on one side was related to a sore gum area, as I had a negative antigen test yesterday and today. I went to the Orthopedics doctor today. He ended up doing a combination injection - a stronger steroid and the first of 3 hyaluronic acid gel shots. Hopefully this all helps some. Then it was do a few errands, ending up with a stop at the grocery store; a larger than usual order for me, as I'm starting to get things for the Christmas holidays while I can find them. The ugh of the day is that GI wants me to do a colonoscopy prep (without the colonoscopy), which I guess I'll do on Sunday.

@kazu How can HAL do that with the price? Not right!

@StLouisCruisers A nice way to celebrate your late Mother's birthday. Thanks for the great photos. 

@aliaschief Thanks for checking in.

@Seasick Sailor It sounds like you had a great time with your sister. How nice of your Mahjongg friends to do that.

@ottahand7 I can't believe DB's surgeon made all those errors! I'm glad he's feeling better.

@Lady Hudson Happy Birthday to you and your twin!

@XBGuy Haha, Night and Day!

@cunnorl I'm glad DD is able to use the pool and that the staff is attentive.

@sailingdutchy Thanks for the photos of crew from the Oosterdam, as well as you and Martha.

@grapau27 Nice dinner photos, and to see smiling Pauline!

@Quartzsite Cruiser Good you don't have to leave before dawn for DH's surgery on Monday. Also that DSIL can help with the morning preparation. Thanks for the Brazil photos.

@ger_77 I'm glad you got a better flight. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 6

DH's test were regarding his lungs.  Last year, they took a biopsy from his right lung, based on something they saw in an x-ray, him being a smoker, they were checking for cancer.  Nope, it was an infection.  But because they are nervous about him with his past cancer history, they ran more tests this week for an anniversary of his surgery.  COPD and emphysema.  And he curses every cigarette that he and i smoke.  So now we do need to get serious about quitting.  Try to make some house rules, etc.   We have tried before, but neither of us are good examples for the other.   Dont yell at us, we know we are stupid, and fighting another addiction.  I guess that's why i didnt want to do a self evaluation the other day. 

Tomorrow is a new day.  Hoping I can make major changes starting tomorrow.  I know I cough all the time, is it the allergy to the cats?  Is it because i'm stuck in a rather dusty house, with no hours to clean?

Time will tell.  but tomorrow we start with a good vacuuming.  Right before work.  Like at 9 a.m.. LIke ...

icatbot-cat-cleaning-home-vacuum-cleaner.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 10
  • Haha 5

Good evening from Hilton Head Island.

It took all day, but we finally made our move. We’ve settled in as best we could.  Forgot a lot of stuff at our house so we will go back tomorrow and get what we need.

We have a two bedroom/two bathroom apartment near the beach and it is available to us until the end of March.  God willing we won’t need this place that long.  However, we are not holding our hopes up.  There is a huge discrepancy between the insurance settlement and the contractor’s estimate.  Who knows when the twain shall meet.

So we sit and wait while they battle it out.

So hopefully we will settle in the next few days and I will get back to posting regularly.

In the meantime,

Good night and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good evening all from a wet and rainy Pacific Northwest, 

At least we don't have smoke today! I spent most of the day at the rehab with DH and he had a good day. He was cheery when I got there but didn't have his dentures in. That got remedied quickly. He had PT this afternoon which involved getting him out of bed on a slide board and into a wheelchair then hooked up to a machine that simulated riding a bike up and down hills. He did well and afterwards I was able to have him stay in the wheelchair and we went for a walk in the building. He scored a dish of ice cream with strawberry syrup at the start of the walk (an in-room ice cream social was happening) and another on the way back so he was a happy camper. Once back and in bed he zonked out and I couldn't get him awake to even eat his dinner. Oh well. He had a good afternoon and it was nice to have him out of that bed! 

Good wishes to all and now it's time for my evening small dish of ice cream as my treat. 

Karen

• Like 14

11 hours ago, JazzyV said:

I think my throat being sore on one side was related to a sore gum area, as I had a negative antigen test yesterday and today. I went to the Orthopedics doctor today. He ended up doing a combination injection - a stronger steroid and the first of 3 hyaluronic acid gel shots. Hopefully this all helps some.

I sure hope this helps you 🤞 

11 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@kazu How can HAL do that with the price? Not right!

Completely agree - that’s why I am fighting.  Booked after final so I’m kind of caught between a rock and a hard place.  

@marshhawk Good luck with your quitting efforts.  Hope it helps your DH improve.

@luvteaching. Glad to hear your DH had a good day 👍 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1