Cruise industry inAustralia on Under Investigation tonight 8:40 pm

gbenjo

21 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Just saw the promo on Nine …not much  (no) warning 

I can guess the theme, starts with C.?  Perhaps someone rang them from the ships going around now that have a few sickies on board. 😷

Edited by NSWP

I glean it is not about covid, apart from an angle to re-present old stories of fights on Carnival, people overboard and the like. This is the story they were going to screen in July, but pulled the pin at the last minute.

• Like 1

Just now, arxcards said:

I glean it is not about covid, apart from an angle to re-present old stories of fights on Carnival, people overboard and the like. This is the story they were going to screen in July, but pulled the pin at the last minute.

Thanks Geoff, yes I just saw the promo. Old news.

Could not believe it when Diane  Trimble’s husband claimed that a lot of people were frightened to report “ incidents” to the ship in fear of being thrown overboard for doing so. The whole show was just a fear mongering exercise . To anyone watching who had never been on a cruise before, they would have thought that going on a cruise was taking your life in your hands and the chance of coming back alive from a cruise was questionable. It was pretty obvious that, apart from Quinton Long, every person on the show was anti cruising ( for whatever reason) and there was never going to be a balanced report about the industry. Typical of Nine.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

Could not believe it when Diane  Trimble’s husband claimed that a lot of people were frightened to report “ incidents” to the ship in fear of being thrown overboard for doing so. 

I too was amazed that this ridiculous comment went to air. Clearly he is living in a fantasy world & I hope he gets the help he needs, & it is a sad indictment of Ch9 that they would allow that to be broadcast.

The so-called experts who were the witnesses for the 'prosecution' (2 pollies and 2 academics) were a collection of agenda driven knuckleheads.

I'm not sure that Quinton Long would have appeared on the show if he had seen the 'performances' of the other guests beforehand.

Guess there will be no live crosses to ships & no free cruises for Ch9 celebrities for a while.

Edited by mr walker
typo

It's interesting how cruises polarises people, even worse than politics and religion. But at least we all have experiences with politics and religion whereas those who say they hate cruises have probably never been on one. Their loss. 

• Like 1

Cruise Weekly is not happy. 😡

"Nine hacks in again THE Nine network is once again biting the hand that feeds it, with the opening
episode of a new season of Under Investigation asking the question “How safe are Aussies at sea?”

The program, which was initially shot back in Nov last year, sees reporter Liz Hayes and a “team of experts” probing the laws designed to protect cruise passengers. 

A preview of the show breathlessly warns passengers they are “heading out to dark waters” with no government protection, with cruises described as a “recipe for disaster”.

The broadcast comes despite other in-house Nine brands such as Traveller receiving significant and ongoing advertising support from the cruise sector."

It was a typical Channel 9 beat up. Sloppy journalism at its worst. Carefully chosen interviewees with an axe to grind, and some completely over-the-top statements that a competent director should have edited out - like "everyone I know  got Covid on that ship" from a passenger, and of course the amazing claim that people get thrown overboard, presumably by the Captain, if they complain.  Plus a rehash of old footage of a brawl and someone falling overboard.

I gave up after a while and switched to the ABC's Media Report. Maybe next week that program will have some reasoned comments on Ch 9's take on cruising?

• Like 1

Over 50 cruises and have only ever seen one fight onboard which was dealt with quickly and efficiently by security.  
However as at home or on a cruise I do not drink to excess or take illegal drugs and do not go to stranger’s homes or cabins.

Have complained a couple of times but never thought I might have been thrown overboard for doing so.

just a beat up by Ch 9.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

There was a snipped on one of the channels, "the first cruise ship back in WA. Passengers and crew with active Covid " 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/101571326

I think it is shortsighted for cruise ships not to announce the numbers of people and crew on board, with covid.  Human nature - the public will think there are more cases than there actually is. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I think it is shortsighted for cruise ships not to announce the numbers of people and crew on board, with covid.  Human nature - the public will think there are more cases than there actually is. 

I agree, if pax knew how many, they may be more compliant with protocols and not so Blaise.  To me it appear the cruise lines, Princess and who ever don't release them as it is not good publicity or good for sales.  Like say for instance right now there were 200 cases on Coral Princess, that would deter some prospective pax from cruising.

Stand by for incoming.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I agree, if pax knew how many, they may be more compliant with protocols and not so Blaise.  To me it appear the cruise lines, Princess and who ever don't release them as it is not good publicity or good for sales.  Like say for instance right now there were 200 cases on Coral Princess, that would deter some prospective pax from cruising.

Stand by for incoming.

Or stop the public thinking there most be lots of positive passengers, like 1/4 of all passengers and crew.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 11:07 AM, Aus Traveller said:

I agree that Diane Brimble's ex-husband must live in a fantasy world. His former wife clearly stated that she was going on the cruise "to meet someone and have a good time". She bought a lot of alcohol on her cruise card on the first night of the cruise that very sadly turned out to be her last night. She went back to the men's cabin (four were sharing). They testified that she willingly took drugs. BTW, her doctor testified that she often took drugs and that he had prescribed the 'morning after' pill for her a couple of times. These men treated her very badly. It was believed that her death was by natural causes but it was later proven to be from a combination of alcohol and drugs. Unfortunately the investigation by NSW Police was botched.

Testimony at the Inquest revealed that P&O paid the Brimble family $2 million in an ex gratia payment. Mr Brimble never mentions that fact. He blames P&O and not his former wife or the men who partied with her.

P&O played their own part in hastily cleaning-up the cabin before anyone could investigate. It was an all round botch job, but also ancient history.

Cruising is much safer, but there is still the presence of drugs and alcohol aboard. 

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

P&O played their own part in hastily cleaning-up the cabin before anyone could investigate. It was an all round botch job, but also ancient history.

Cruising is much safer, but there is still the presence of drugs and alcohol aboard. 

The investigation was botched, mainly by the NSW Water Police officer who was sent to Noumea to board the ship to carry out an investigation. He just partied on board. When he returned to Aust he didn't put in a report. He went on stress leave for two years. Fact.

The doctor on board believed Ms Brimble died from natural causes, but even so a guard was put on the cabin. Unfortunately it was his first day on the job. One f the guys who had been locked out of that cabin went to the Purser and asked to be allowed to get his personal gear (shaving stuff etc). The Purser accompanied him to the cabin and instructed the security guard to allow the man into the cabin to get what he wanted.

On reading the Inquest reports, it doesn't appear that it was a deliberate attempt to clean up to remove evidence. Anyway, the men involved freely admitted that they took drugs on board.