Extra charge in Pinnacle for 2nd appetizer - Eurodam starts 10-30-22

DaveOKC

22 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Since when is a salad, or soup for the matter, an appetizer?  I almost always get a salad or soup, plus an appetizer (shrimp, crab cake, pate') with my entrée.  Sometimes I do not like the entrée, and instead get two appetizers.

Agree, we never thought that soup and salads were appetizers. 

Normally we start off with a shrimp cocktail which is the appitizer followed by soup then a salad followed by the main course and finish up with dessert. 

We sail on the Nieuw Amsterdam on December 4th and it will interesting to see if there are any up charges. Celebrity has no policy of charging for shrimp cocktail, in fact on a cruise on the Equinox in June and again in August, if you ordered shrimp cocktail they brought out 2 orders, I really didnt want 2 and our waiter was sort of surprised, on our Infinity cruise on Oct.1st, they only brought 1 order. 

We already are not happy with lack of production shows on HAL and if they continue to to skimp we will stop sailing with them and cruise mainly with Celebrity and maybe Princess.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iflyrc5 said:

Marty - are they charging extra on the Rotterdam for the 2nd appetizer?

I’m not Marty but I’m on Rotterdam now and the Pinnacle menus DOES have a surcharge listed. $7 for an extra appetizer and $15 for an extra entree. ☹️     ~Nancy 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

Marty - are they charging extra on the Rotterdam for the 2nd appetizer?

I'm just off Rotterdam 150th Anniversary.  Wasn't hungry one evening so did my usual

non-hungry PG order:  Lobster bisque, bacon, steak tartare (for entree).  That's all.  Three appetizers, no real main dish.  No extra charge. 

Last sentence should  have been "no extra charge AT THIS TIME ON THIS SHIP".  But things on HAL apparently are changing constantly.   So that was my experience on a Pinnacle-class ship on a cruise ending yesterday (Oct 30).

Edited by AV8rix

7 hours ago, zelker said:

We're also 5* and wondered about this and/or will they give us our 50% discount on additional menu items?  We don't sail until December 20th so hope you'll post back here.  Enjoy your cruise!  Thx.

I was told on the koningsdam they don't give that discount anymore.  Emailed the mariner society. Crickets.  Called they said that's not a thing.

26 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

I'm just off Rotterdam 150th Anniversary.  Wasn't hungry one evening so did my usual

non-hungry PG order:  Lobster bisque, bacon, steak tartare (for entree).  That's all.  Three appetizers, no real main dish.  No extra charge. 

Last sentence should  have been "no extra charge AT THIS TIME ON THIS SHIP".  But things on HAL apparently are changing constantly.   So that was my experience on a Pinnacle-class ship on a cruise ending yesterday (Oct 30).

And today it has the surcharges on the menu on Navigator. October 31, 2022. 🎃👻.  Yesterday was the start of another new policy which someone had reported about on another ship, maybe 1-2 months ago. (Can’t remember). They now want you to sign a receipt for all drinks ordered even with the beverage package!! I expressed my surprise and dismay immediately on the “tell us” on Navigator app. The waiter came back a few minutes later and said he had to show it to us but we can just say okay and not bother signing it. Today it wasn’t mentioned when I ordered a beer in the lido but was presented one in Grand Dutch. Cafe. What a waste of everyone’s time. The waiter yesterday didn’t seem thrilled about it either!!  I was very polite to him and told him I totally understand he needs to follow the rules of his supervisor.   I got a printed note in my mailbox this morning saying that my comment had been forwarded to the appropriate department. 🙄

Edited by oakridger

7 hours ago, friendswithdave said:

I expect they will gladly provide the petit filet if you request it. It probably comes with the lobster in that paired dish. 

Personally, I get the whole extra charge thing. Cruise lines are desperate to stay afloat. The times, they are a changin'. While cruise fares stay relatively unchanged over the years, cruise lines are making their money in other ways. They must, as inflation is a real thing worldwide. This is just the evolution of the industry. HAL is no different than the other lines in this way. The truth is, you can still have a wonderful experience on a cruise ship without spending a dime more than your initial fare. Those who want more, pay more. Makes sense to me. We all want more stuff for less money. Who wouldn't?

We have sailed with Celebrity 3 times this summer and they were all great cruises with great food and entertainment. We sailed on the Rotterdam in April and as usual there were very few shows in the main showroom and the food was not close to Celebrity.  Entertainment on the Music Walk wasn't too good with terrible vocalists however the group in Lincoln Center was outstanding, we sail on the NA in December and if things continue to slide downhill we will not sail with HAL anymore. 

20 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I was told on the koningsdam they don't give that discount anymore.  Emailed the mariner society. Crickets.  Called they said that's not a thing.

What’s not a thing?  The Mariner discounts?  They still show under benefits, and we got them in July on NS, didn’t even have to ask.  

34 minutes ago, zelker said:

What’s not a thing?  The Mariner discounts?  They still show under benefits, and we got them in July on NS, didn’t even have to ask.  

I’m speaking of the upcharge items like lobster in both the pinnacle and the tamarind.  You mentioned upcharge items at 50 percent off.  That’s precisely what I answered.   I’m not speaking about the restaurant charge.  That’s a charge not an upcharge.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

And today it has the surcharges on the menu on Navigator. October 31, 2022. 🎃👻.  Yesterday was the start of another new policy which someone had reported about on another ship, maybe 1-2 months ago. (Can’t remember). They now want you to sign a receipt for all drinks ordered even with the beverage package!! I expressed my surprise and dismay immediately on the “tell us” on Navigator app. The waiter came back a few minutes later and said he had to show it to us but we can just say okay and not bother signing it. Today it wasn’t mentioned when I ordered a beer in the lido but was presented one in Grand Dutch. Cafe. What a waste of everyone’s time. The waiter yesterday didn’t seem thrilled about it either!!  I was very polite to him and told him I totally understand he needs to follow the rules of his supervisor.   I got a printed note in my mailbox this morning saying that my comment had been forwarded to the appropriate department. 🙄

It was the westerdam.  So they are so worried about waste yet printing a receipt isn’t waste 🙄.  Thank you for reporting what you are seeing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It was the westerdam.  So they are so worried about waste yet printing a receipt isn’t waste 🙄.  Thank you for reporting what you are seeing.

There are no more comment cards and no more daily newspapers left in the 

mailbox outside the cabin, but they want people to sign a receipt for every 

drink. I thought that the beverage package was to eliminate receipts.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BetsyS. said:

There are no more comment cards and no more daily newspapers left in the 

mailbox outside the cabin, but they want people to sign a receipt for every 

drink. I thought that the beverage package was to eliminate receipts.

One of the reasons I purchased the HIA package for our cruise this weekend is to not be bothered with signing of receipts!  The receipts make no sense.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m speaking of the upcharge items like lobster in both the pinnacle and the tamarind.  You mentioned upcharge items at 50 percent off.  That’s precisely what I answered.   I’m not speaking about the restaurant charge.  That’s a charge not an upcharge.

Oh, gotcha.  Thx for clarifying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

One of the reasons I purchased the HIA package for our cruise this weekend is to not be bothered with signing of receipts!  The receipts make no sense.

Exactly!  Adds more paper waste but I can’t have crackers with my cheese plate due to individually wrapped crackers?   An even larger problem to me is that for every receipt someone or several someone’s then must do an accounting of them all!!!  What a waste of valuable staff resources!!!  Sheesh 🙄 

• Like 3

And another question - we have future cruises booked with prepaid PG dinners - will the old or the new policy dictate? 

Another note: the fine print about the extra surcharges will not be seen by most in a subdued lit venue!

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

I have a sad.

When I downloaded the PG menu several weeks ago, i noted that the crab legs were without a surcharge and i looked forward to dipping sweet crab meat into clarified butter at my upcoming PG dining in December.  I downloaded the latest versions and found the crab legs had been removed.

Also sad.

• Like 2

Stop throwing good money after bad and eventually they'll get the message.  There are far, far, FAR too many upcharges on what is already the most expensive specialty dining on most ships. Don't forget the extra 18%. Don't forget the meal and service you paid for elsewhere that you are skipping. Just keep paying. Then pay some more. Sign for some extra while you're at it. Extra for mac and cheese with some little crumbs of lobster was insulting enough. Just go to the buffet; easy to build a meal with everything in a restaurant and more, or rack the menu in the MDR. If cruisers don't stop caving in to fees on fees on fees on fees it won't go away.  Look at the complaining in this thread...NO ONE has said they are NOT going to go because of the fees. They just won't be happy about it.  HAL's cash register tells a different story. 

21 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Stop throwing good money after bad and eventually they'll get the message.  There are far, far, FAR too many upcharges on what is already the most expensive specialty dining on most ships. Don't forget the extra 18%. Don't forget the meal and service you paid for elsewhere that you are skipping. Just keep paying. Then pay some more. Sign for some extra while you're at it. Extra for mac and cheese with some little crumbs of lobster was insulting enough. Just go to the buffet; easy to build a meal with everything in a restaurant and more, or rack the menu in the MDR. If cruisers don't stop caving in to fees on fees on fees on fees it won't go away.  Look at the complaining in this thread...NO ONE has said they are NOT going to go because of the fees. They just won't be happy about it.  HAL's cash register tells a different story. 

Because HAL knows...

You'll be back, soon, you'll see
You'll remember you belong to me
You'll be back, time will tell
You'll remember that I served you well

• Haha 1