Extra charge in Pinnacle for 2nd appetizer - Eurodam starts 10-30-22

DaveOKC

Yes, that was my point.  Hope kaza doesn't mind my quoting her post here.

"Heads up for those that like that candied bacon in the PG.  HELENPSL went to the PG the other night and ordered and the waiter (not knowing how long she was on for) warned her that starting next cruise, there was going to be a surcharge for it.  She was told $7 surcharge."

16 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Yes, that was my point.  Hope kaza doesn't mind my quoting her post here.

"Heads up for those that like that candied bacon in the PG.  HELENPSL went to the PG the other night and ordered and the waiter (not knowing how long she was on for) warned her that starting next cruise, there was going to be a surcharge for it.  She was told $7 surcharge."

Such an odd concept. Bacon on a clothesline for dinner. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

But the context of the indicated post was that the bacon was becoming an upcharged item on its own.

The Nov 1st changed menu w/ the new surcharge for the 2nd apps showed the bacon as part of the normal appetizers and not subject to a $7 charge - . So in less than a week, HAL already changed and made it a Surcharge......not so good IMO

• Thanks 1

I boarded the NA yesterday and ran into the food and beverage manager yesterday.  I asked - being a 5 Star we get 2 free diners in one of the upscale restaurants - do we need to pay the $7 upcharge for having a second appetizer?  He said yes.  Tonight is a dressy night in the MDR and they have "jumbo shrimp" for an appetizer so I guess I will get my shrimp and my salad at the MDR tonight without an upcharge.🙄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iflyrc5 said:

I boarded the NA yesterday and ran into the food and beverage manager yesterday.  I asked - being a 5 Star we get 2 free diners in one of the upscale restaurants - do we need to pay the $7 upcharge for having a second appetizer?  He said yes.  Tonight is a dressy night in the MDR and they have "jumbo shrimp" for an appetizer so I guess I will get my shrimp and my salad at the MDR tonight without an upcharge.🙄

Well, only one night anyways.  To be honest, my first HAL cruise had a lot of small things with dollar signs that surprised me. Yet some complimentary offerings far surpassing other lines.  It was almost like Carnival Corp just couldn't resist being a little bit tacky about things. Can't let an Oldsmobile outshine a Buick (Princess) or Cadillac (Cunard)

15 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

I’m glad I already tried the clothesline bacon so I don’t have to pay $7 for it! It was delicious but not worth the extra money. Maybe if I was eating with a group it would be, but not solo. 

Tried it when there was not an extra cost and was not impressed.  With a surcharge, it is certain that I will not be tempted for a retry.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

I’d love it if you would do that.  Another poster suggested a person bring an appetizer from the lido to see what this Kmart of the sea would do. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, albingirl said:

Such an odd concept. Bacon on a clothesline for dinner. 

Nothing less than a pretentious dining concept in my opinion.  Such bacon as an additional item for a Wedge Salad?  Fine.  But, is such a presentation really worth the effort of the Galley staff to prepare?  

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Nothing less than a pretentious dining concept in my opinion.  Such bacon as an additional item for a Wedge Salad?  Fine.  But, is such a presentation really worth the effort of the Galley staff to prepare?  

I guess it is if you can get an additional $7 out of people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I guess it is if you can get an additional $7 out of people.

Anyone who would pay $7 for a few slices of candied bacon on a clothesline is living in a different reality than I am.  I don't mind paying for "luxury experiences" from time to time.  But, this concept does not fit my concept of such a luxury dining experience.  

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

If someone offers you a pretentious side, just tell them you prefer plain rice:

image.thumb.png.d8b605f4fbbf3cd23142d870eae4aeda.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, rkacruiser said:

Anyone who would pay $7 for a few slices of candied bacon on a clothesline is living in a different reality than I am.  I don't mind paying for "luxury experiences" from time to time.  But, this concept does not fit my concept of such a luxury dining experience.  

It won’t be me.  People seem to love it so they are going to capitalize on it. I’d love to have a piece I’d string and bring some bacon with me and make my own appetizer 😛😉.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

DH and I have not cruised HAL in several years.  We are coming back and doing the 73-day Grand South America cruise in October 2023.  As a warm-up, we are doing a 14-day San Diego to Fort Lauderdale in April, 2023. DH loves to have a double shrimp cocktail every night at dinner (in the main dining room).  Is this up-charge everyone is writing about in the specialty restaurants only.  Or is it also in the main dining room?

Does HAL still offer the BOGO cocktails during happy hour as they did years back (if I am remembering correctly)? That always worked good for us since I am more than satisfied with 2 drinks a day and DH just drinks Diet Coke.

3 minutes ago, crusin'k said:

DH and I have not cruised HAL in several years.  We are coming back and doing the 73-day Grand South America cruise in October 2023.  As a warm-up, we are doing a 14-day San Diego to Fort Lauderdale in April, 2023. DH loves to have a double shrimp cocktail every night at dinner (in the main dining room).  Is this up-charge everyone is writing about in the specialty restaurants only.  Or is it also in the main dining room?

Does HAL still offer the BOGO cocktails during happy hour as they did years back (if I am remembering correctly)? That always worked good for us since I am more than satisfied with 2 drinks a day and DH just drinks Diet Coke.

In the pinnacle, but they do charge for shrimp cocktail in the MDR now. 

On the koningsdam that I just got off of Saturday they had buy one get the second drink for 50% off. Some people have reported 25% off on some ships.

10 hours ago, crusin'k said:

DH loves to have a double shrimp cocktail every night at dinner (in the main dining room). 

I often order 2 appetizers in the MDR such as soup and a salad….BUT……In the MDR shrimp is an Indulge item and will cost $8.50 an order every night except Dressy nights when it will probably be on the menu.  (This photo is from a Caribbean cruise.  Lobster preparation varies.)003E27F9-81FC-4AF0-9513-C61D56B0D91C.jpeg.4fc723dd222a1be37d76e668ecdd7218.jpeg

11 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

On the koningsdam that I just got off of Saturday they had buy one get the second drink for 50% off. Some people have reported 25% off on some ships.

How does happy hour work if you have elite drink package with "have it all"?

19 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

NS is Buy One get 2nd One at 25% off.  We were on NA two weeks before NS and it was similar to Rotterdam with 50% off any drink.  SMH

9 hours ago, bdd123 said:

How does happy hour work if you have elite drink package with "have it all"?

It means flexibility.  You don't have to worry about attending early, overcrowded happy hour as you have the drink package.

At least this is how I felt earlier in the month on the Nieuw Statendam.

• Like 4