The Buffet

Pickels

6 hours ago, Pickels said:

Hello; for those who have recently cruised on Celebrity; did they go back to self-serving in the buffet; or, is the food being served by staff?

Thanks all!

I'm at the Millennium's buffet RIGHT NOW. All food was self serve except for the cake. YMMV.

I was on the Summit last week and the buffet was self serv. The surprising part to me was they didn’t even have a “washy washy” person to great you and guide people to wash their hands. I observed less than 50% of guest not washing their hands or using hand sanitizer. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CruisinBanka said:

I was on the Summit last week and the buffet was self serv. The surprising part to me was they didn’t even have a “washy washy” person to great you and guide people to wash their hands. I observed less than 50% of guest not washing their hands or using hand sanitizer. 

That is usual behavior for the buffet.  It is kind of gross.  A good reason to have servers like HAL does on the buffet.  Or to go to a restaurant...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, CruisinBanka said:

I'm not surprised at all!!  A passenger that may get a polite reminder from a staff member to wash their hands would end up whining about it to GS that a OVC crew member was being rude. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisinBanka said:

12 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

That is usual behavior for the buffet.  It is kind of gross.  A good reason to have servers like HAL does on the buffet.  Or to go to a restaurant...

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I'm not surprised at all!!  A passenger that may get a polite reminder from a staff member to wash their hands would end up whining about it to GS that a OVC crew member was being rude. 

And maybe they just washed their hands in the restroom. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

After seeing passengers on the Reflection last August wheezing and coughing all over the buffets, we decided to skip them all and dine in restaurants or room service. The first day I saw one old guy cough on the breads and wipe his hands on his shirt, just no hygiene at all.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

And maybe they just washed their hands in the restroom. 

And maybe not. We always use the restroom before entering the MDR and still use the hand sanitizer located at the entrance to the MDR before entering. Same with using the washing station on the Summit before entering the OVC. We attempted to eat in there on a sea day for lunch on the Summit in September, but that didn't happen due to all the rude and inconsiderate people using the OVC as their personal game room.  Never went back. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 4

If you are a person that wants to protect yourself from your fellow Buffet guests just use your own Hand Sanitizer  when you get your plate to your table before eating.

Or wear disposable gloves while serving yourself and taking them Off once you get to your table.

• Like 1

Three biggies when it comes to buffets...

1)  Dirty hands, did they arrive with clean hands?

2)  Touch the food, did they touch the the buffet food (some "sample" before deciding if its worth of their plates real estate and others may pick up something like a bread roll, determine its not soft enough and put it back)?

3)  Combo of the two/OCD, they'll pick up say 5 pieces of bacon which are all stuck together, with their bare fingers they'll separate them, now with their greasy fingers they'll at best grab another food items tongs to get more food and at worst, be OCD triggered by how the bacon strips looks on their plate and elect to put some back

Those little hand sanitizers and holders sold by Bath and Body Works are always at the ready when attached to the seapass lanyard! For the guys, less scented options are sold elsewhere and could be attached to belt loops for convenience.

One of those is always hooked to my purse strap. I prefer squeezing sanitizer vs. shaking my wet washed hands under an air dryer or into a Dyson!

Edited by TMLAalum