The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday November 24th, 2022

richwmn

Thanksgiving Day (US)

Today is Family Health History Day, Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day, and D.B. Cooper Day

It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.--Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl

Meal Suggestion for today - Traditional Turkey Dinner
Drink of the Day - Black Widow Martini
Wine of the Day - The Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, California
Destination of the Day - San Juan, Puerto Rico

Eurodam

Panama Canal - Colon, Panama 05:00 - 20:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 11/26

Nieuw Amsterdam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 11/25

Oosterdam

Panama Canal - Panama City, Fuerte Amador, Balboa 05:00 - 05:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles eta 11/25

Volendam

Sea Day Destination Devils Island, French Guiana Eta 11/25

Zaandam

Cape Town, South Africa 08:00 - 24 Nov 23:00

Zuiderdam

Corinto, Nicaragua, Leon City 08:00 - 16:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Broome WA, Kimberley, Western Australia eta 11/27

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

1124World.thumb.png.ab8a89784710775819f37a336de41319.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 11

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Happy Thanksgiving!🦃 

Happy Thanksgiving to those that celebrate, for some of us, it's just Thursday.

It's important to know your family's health history.  Celebrate your unique talent (mine is making wine disappear 😉).  I'm not sure why we should celebrate DB Cooper.

An inspiring quote from a marvelous young woman.

The meal sounds good but we'll have something else.

Not sure about the drink, but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Good afternoon.

Happy Thanksgiving Day to all our Dailyites who celebrate thanksgiving.

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich.

Interesting days.

It was so sad Anne Frank was betrayed in Amsterdam.

Her writings were amazing.

We visited the Anne Frank museum in Amsterdam.

Nice Thanksgiving meal today.

We have visited Old San Juan on 2 cruises.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham.

IMG_20221123_211327.jpg

• Like 26

Happy thanksgiving  from the Noordam. 
     We had a wonderful turkey dinner tonite after a great day in Darwin. 
     I was so surprised by Darwin - it is a great place and so accessible! No problems anywhere. However it was a little warm even for this Floridian. 
    I am very grateful for all my friends on this thread. It has brought so much comfort to me. 
    Very grateful to Rich for starting this non controversial place for us to come together for support or just sharing. 
    Have a wonderful and healthy day

charlene 

• Like 31

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

A little misty right now but becoming sunny with a high of 85.

Happy Thanksgiving Day to one and all.

A great quote by Anne Frank.

I wonder why there is a day for D.B Cooper who hijacked a plane in 1970? on a flight from Portland to Seattle,  IIRC the plane landed in Seattle where he released the passengers and received his ransom money, the plane took off and Cooper jumped out of the plane with a parachute around a half hour later somewhere over Washington State and was never seen again. Bottom line, the guy was a hijacker and a thief and does not deserve a day.

I love Turkey Dinner not only on Thanksgiving but quite often during the course of the year.

We have been to San Juan many times while cruising and are going to visit again on our upcoming cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Thanks for The Daily, everyone stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I wonder why there is a day for D.B Cooper who hijacked a plane in 1970? on a flight from Portland to Seattle,  IIRC the plane landed in Seattle where he released the passengers and received his ransom money, the plane took off and Cooper jumped out of the plane with a parachute around a half hour later somewhere over Washington State and was never seen again. Bottom line, the guy was a hijacker and a thief and does not deserve a day.

from checkiday.com

The story of D.B. Cooper has inspired numerous songs, books, and films. He has become a folk hero to some but is remembered as a criminal by others. No matter how Cooper is viewed, his story continues to be recounted, and his identity continues to be debated, many decades after he disappeared into the night sky.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

I would like to wish a very Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate today.Yesterday we did a fair amount of preparation for today so I think it will be less busy today in terms of cooking. I was remembering cooking this meal after working all day on the Wednesday and having to return to work on Friday. I was happy to see some states have the Friday after Thanksgiving as a holiday now but that doesn’t matter in healthcare jobs.

My DS and family picked up our teenager last night and he stayed with our grandchildren in their hotel. They will go to the parade together and even got to see some of the floats being blown up last night on the Westside of the city.The weather is nice with a high of fifty expected.

We have been to San Juan twice but not on cruises. It is a great place to visit.I liked the Ann Frank quote.

All of the best to all of the Dailyites. I am thankful for all of you!

• Like 25

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

A very happy Thanksgiving to all of our friends South of the Border!

5C0680EA-665C-494C-854C-81ED19997EA3.jpeg.d3b0fd084065e7a25ce34e6ea35e18ca.jpeg

Not celebrating any of the days today - instead I will celebrate DH’s birthday although it’s a sad celebration.  Trying to remember the good times 💔 

39A60CDE-2B09-4258-BDA0-BC1CAB99DCEC.thumb.jpeg.82b9a26f4bac1a0511c9357f88d908f0.jpeg

Love the quote by Anne Frank - heck I loved all her quotes - such an optimistic, brave young lady with all that she faced.

My luggage finally arrived yesterday afternoon.  I guess today I will tackle unpacking - bound to be a mess trying to save trips upstairs 😉 

8142FACF-7A20-4DB2-9610-47FEA8089BBA.thumb.jpeg.63c7a49e6a00822c060f7391485eadd2.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday &/ Thanksgiving everyone and stay safe.

• Like 38
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning. For all who celebrate today, enjoy this celebratin of food, family and friends.

We have been to San Juan a number of times. We have a little tradion of visitingg a little cafe close to the port and enjoying some good Mofongo.

• Like 22

Happy Thursday to those who don't celebrate U.S. Thanksgiving. I imagine that many people over here can't imagine that anyone, anywhere, doesn't celebrate it, the same way they can't understand that I don't "have" Christmas. (For me, this year, it will be just Sunday, plus the seventh day of Hanukkah.)

I had a co-worker ca. 1980 in Oregon who was almost obsessed with D. B. Cooper. I didn't get it, but he was from that region, and I am not.

I've been to San Juan aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam, in January 2020. It was a strange port call, because there had been an earthquake that morning and we weren't able to dock until the afternoon. Passengers who had planned on shopping and restaurants were disappointed, because most didn't open -- many had no electricity -- but I was able to do most of the walking tour that I had planned, only in reverse order to be more in the shade in the afternoon instead of the morning.

San Juan 8.jpg

San Juan 7.jpg

San Juan 6.jpg

San Juan 5.jpg

San Juan 4.jpg

San Juan 3.jpg

San Juan 2.jpg

San Juan 1.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone!

We are looking forward to a lovely relaxing day today.  For those who are cooking and  hosting, I hope you will share a picture of the dinner you prepare.  Today's meal is a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.  What is traditional depends on your family heritage as well as the region of the country you live in.  If you'd like, share a recipe of one of your favorite traditional Thanksgiving dishes!

54849f9c870936aa4345ec4ed197875b-thanksgiving-pictures-thanksgiving-quotes.jpg.2e26362d9950a452a5df3d162ea3ce1f.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!   Happy Thanksgiving to my dear friends in the US who are celebrating with good food and family today.  I don't think I have a unique talent - but like @puppycanducruise, can make wine disappear.  I'll pass on celebrating DB Cooper who was a criminal, however,  I'm not disparaging @richwmnfor having him on the list, because I realize the guy has made others a ton of money with his story. 

@Vict0riannwishing you and your DH a wonderful 60th Anniversary; what a milestone to truly celebrate!

@kazuHappy Angel Birthday to your darling Jose.  It will be a difficult day for you, but know you have so many friends who have you in their hearts.

It isn't exactly the appliance gremlins who have appeared, but we (I) have to deal with a couple of issues - one of our Arlo security cameras has begun pixelating, so I have to figure out how to remedy that.  Then, our new printer doesn't want to scan, so it seems I might have to re-install it and see what happens.  I could leave both for our DS when he comes on the weekend, but his time here is so short, I don't want to bother him with trying to fix things for us.  I'll just have to put on my tech hat and see what I can come up with.

Other than tidying up the house, there's not a lot on our agenda today - maybe I'll watch the Thanksgiving parade for a change.  I do like today's menu suggestion; in fact, it's one of my favourite meals.  Unfortunately, our next turkey dinner isn't going to be until Christmas, but today we'll be having a simple meal of oven baked salmon with baked baby potatoes and green beans (an homage to your Thanksgiving) at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.Happy Thanksgiving Family Traditions Turkey Day Harvest Give Thanks  Thankful Blessed Grateful: Thanksgiving Notebook 8.5x11 softcover noteboook  100 blank lined college ruled pages: Marcy Mobley: 9781699592854: Books -  Amazon.ca

Prayers for those who are hurting, cheers to all who have something to celebrate!  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Thanksgiving report Rich.  Happy Thanksgiving to our US Dailyites.  I'll celebrate today's days with a qualification on DB Cooper.  I love the Anne Frank quote.  I've been to San Juan several times, mostly out of Baltimore on Royal Caribbean.  My meal today will be ham but Traditional Turkey is also great.  The photo is from MS Amsterdam on Canadian Thanksgiving, 2017:

dishes08.jpg

Today’s care list:

Anniversary of Jose’s birth without Jose
Virginia Walmart victims
Sharon recovering from bronchitis
Kazu severe foot injury
Ottahand7 Brother in rehab with poor prognosis
Jazzyv digestive issues
Those afecteed by Java earthquake
Cruisin Terri continuing autoimmune flareup
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
cruisin single step-son with double cancer and months of recovery before kidney removal

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Anniversary Ann and Pat
Terri’s next door neighbor Joanne back home in recovery
Aliaschief in California
StlouisCruisers meeting Summer Slope in person
4 days for SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess 11/28 to 12/12)
2 days for Ichiban Nekko and Himself (Nieuw Statendam 11/26 to 12/3)
2 days for Jazzyv (Apex 11/26 to 12/3)
GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam  to 11/26), Cruise Suzy, Lazey1, and HAL Lover (Rotterdam  to 11/30),  StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/1223) at sea

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

Happy Thanksgiving from the Rotterdam.

For Roy and others who have requested their return: Today's MDR menu selections include

1) CHILL ED SPICED APPLE AND CARROT SOUP pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, ginger

2) APPLE CRANBERRY CRISP NO SUGAR ADDED oats, granola, vanilla ice cream

The crisp but not the soup is also offered in the Lido. Of the 4 evening meals so far, 3 have been in specialty restaurants, and I did not check the MDR menu those days. I did not notice any chilled soup or crisp on the menu the one day we dined in the MDR. Will check the MDR menu daily and report back if any other night offers them.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Happy Thanksgiving 🦃 🍁 🍗.  I hope everyone has a great day with wonderful food, family/friends and weather!!

Things get started here around 1 when family starts to arrive.  It will be quite a long day with food and football.  But so glad to be able to get together after the pandemic holidays.  Best wishes to all.  Katherine 

• Like 25

30 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

A very happy Thanksgiving to all of our friends South of the Border!

5C0680EA-665C-494C-854C-81ED19997EA3.jpeg.d3b0fd084065e7a25ce34e6ea35e18ca.jpeg

Not celebrating any of the days today - instead I will celebrate DH’s birthday although it’s a sad celebration.  Trying to remember the good times 💔 

39A60CDE-2B09-4258-BDA0-BC1CAB99DCEC.thumb.jpeg.82b9a26f4bac1a0511c9357f88d908f0.jpeg

Love the quote by Anne Frank - heck I loved all her quotes - such an optimistic, brave young lady with all that she faced.

My luggage finally arrived yesterday afternoon.  I guess today I will tackle unpacking - bound to be a mess trying to save trips upstairs 😉 

8142FACF-7A20-4DB2-9610-47FEA8089BBA.thumb.jpeg.63c7a49e6a00822c060f7391485eadd2.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday &/ Thanksgiving everyone and stay safe.

Such a lovely photo of you both.

0E28A08F-12A8-48E8-A080-FF0DF318DC39.gif.3041fde9886fd59f1bdcb8aa942c2699.gif

• Like 21

🦃 HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL WHO CELEBRATE! 🦃

Good morning from a wet, but so far wind free central Texas.  It currently 55F which is a nice change from our lows in the upper 20s to lower 30s F.  I will be heading to Waco in the couple of hours to have Thanksgiving dinner with DH in his room.  He has the day off from therapy so the therapists can enjoy Thanksgiving with their families.  We are supposed to have thunderstorms beginning mid-afternoon with winds 10-15 mph.  We did have a brief thunderstorm last night.

Knowing your family's health is important, and celebrating your unique talent is good.  I just don't know my unique talent.  The story of D. B. Cooper is fascinating, but what he did does not deserve to be celebrated.

Ann Frank was wise beyond her years.  It was a tragedy that she and her family were betrayed.

While we'll be having Thanksgiving dinner, we'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have been to San Juan several times but all our visits were in the pre-digital age.  I tried to find if it had been the destination of the day, but did not have time to go through all the pages the search turned up.  We always enjoyed our stops in San Juan.

@richwmn  Rich, thank you for sharing the information about D. B. Cooper day.

@MISTER 67  Thanks for reminding us of how the D. B. Cooper incident occurred..

@smitty34877  Terry, how nice of your DS having your teenager join them to see the parade.  I'm sure it will be a big treat for him.

@kazu  Jacqui, I wish you very happy memories as you celebrate this bittersweet day of Jose's birth.

@kochleffel  Thank you for sharing your pictures of San Juan.

@dfish  I hope everyone enjoys the day in your new house.  I will share my recipe for cornbread dressing, which is a traditional side at southerner Thanksgiving tables.

CORNBREAD DRESSING

1 pan cornbread                                  3-4 broken crackers

1 med. onion, chopped                       1 t sage

1 c giblet or vegetable stock               salt & pepper to taste

1 or 2 stalks celery, chopped

Break cornbread into pieces; add crackers, onion, salt and pepper, and celery.  Mix; then add sage and mix thoroughly.

Mix well with stock.  Pack lightly into dish and bake uncovered approximately 1 hour at 325oF.

NOTE:  Leftover dressing should be frozen.  Do not refreeze.

Here is my recipe for the cornbread.  The cornbread can be made ahead of time.

GOLDEN CORNBREAD

1 c yellow cornmeal                            4 t baking powder

1 c flour, sifted                                    1 egg

¼ c sugar                                            1 c milk

½ t salt                                                ¼ c shortening, soft

Sift dry ingredients together into a bowl.  Add egg, milk and shortening.  (Melt shortening in oven and keep dish warm.)

Beat with mixer until smooth, about 1 minute.  DO NOT OVERBEAT.

Bake in greased 8” square pan or greased muffin pans in hot oven (425oF) 20-25 minutes.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report. Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate.  I suspect that we will have turkey today. Since we are taking thr family out to a local diner I'm open to their chicken croquettes,  they are very good and I don't get them at home.  The good sister has a bottle of coquito for DH. I'm not telling him as he's doing  80mph.  We are over half way to our destination.

I hope that everyone has a good day today. 

• Like 24