How "safe" is the ship?

PineappleTraveler

I realize opinions will be subjective here, but your good/bad experiences are appreciated.

How safe is your stuff on a full ship? One of us is probably a little too carefree on vacation, and the other one probably a little too paranoid. Would you lock your phone in the safe rather than leave it plugged in when you leave the cabin? If you left a purse/wallet on a pool chair and went swimming, would you feel the need to keep an eye on it the whole time? Have you ever been pick pocketed on a ship?

If another passenger was threatening to you in some way, do you believe the ship security would respond helpfully to a request for assistance? Any safety tips you recommend? 

Although I generally try to put valuables away and do store our passports/wallets in the safe, I don't worry too much in the stateroom.  I have left my laptop on the desk or forgotten to put away jewelry.  I think stateroom attendants are trustworthy because their job depends on it.

Out on the pool deck, I don't leave anything in sight that can easily be picked up.  I also don't bring valuables with me aside from my phone.  There are cameras everywhere so I think it would be harder to get away with than in most places on land but there are dishonest people everywhere.

Edited to add:  The most common crimes on cruise ships (and I don't think they are that common) I understand are sexual assaults although not always involving passengers.  Usually too much alcohol is involved.

Edited by prmssk
  • Like 8

I don’t bring anything of value to the pool deck. In my cabin I feel ok with leaving my electronics in sight but I lock wallet, passports, jewelry, in the safe. As far as receiving assistance from security if needed, I am happy ( and grateful) that I’ve never felt the need for security on a cruise ship. When our girls were teens I was a little more protective and kept them on a pretty tight leash. Overall I think it’s wise to err on the side of caution. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, PineappleTraveler said:

Would you lock your phone in the safe rather than leave it plugged in when you leave the cabin?

Most newer phones have tracking which can't be turned off if the phone is locked.  I generally get the latest iPhone from work and have left it out before without issue while it needed to be charged.  It is one of the few areas without cameras

18 minutes ago, PineappleTraveler said:

If you left a purse/wallet on a pool chair and went swimming, would you feel the need to keep an eye on it the whole time?

Why would you need to bring a purse or wallet, you use your sea card to buy things.  Because there are cameras I'd feel fine

21 minutes ago, PineappleTraveler said:

Have you ever been pick pocketed on a ship?

I have never been pick pocketed but the better question is what would have in your pocket of value?  There are cameras everywhere

24 minutes ago, PineappleTraveler said:

If another passenger was threatening to you in some way, do you believe the ship security would respond helpfully to a request for assistance?

Yes as they're always watching

25 minutes ago, PineappleTraveler said:

Any safety tips you recommend? 

It's incredibly safe on a cruise ship because if something bad happens there's no where to hide and they search staterooms if they need to

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Why would you need to bring a purse or wallet, you use your sea card to buy things. 

It's amazing how many women carry their purse everywhere onboard (and I am a woman).  We see this on every cruise.  We use the safe for passports, wallets, and cash.  I am not into many jewels.  Electronics and prescription drugs we just leave in the drawers or on a charger.  First "Celebrity" cruise was on the Chandris Amerikanis in 1985.  No problems at all. We are in our 60's and 70's.   

• Like 4

Unless you are incredibly careless, you're probably safer on a ship than at a resort. Keep your valuables in the safe. I don't leave my phone lying around in the open, but I have left it in my bag on my lounger while in the pool. As mentioned, there are CCTV cameras everywhere in the public areas.

I'm sure any request for assistance to security would be given all the attention that it deserved.

• Like 1

For the past 20 years I've left out all of my electronics (Computers, Pads, iPhones etc) in my room.  Never had a problem or would expect to have a problem.   To the crew their job is far more important.   I've even had a room attendant pick up a penny on the  floor and lay it on the end table.

Personally I would not leave valuable on the pool deck but that may just be me.

Security is very responsive if you were to have any problems and or report anything.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I've always left my laptop and iPad out in the cabin with no issues.  I used to put my phone in the safe and leave it there for the cruise.  Now that I can message and call people and take pictures with it, I try to remember to bring it with me.  That requires having a small cross-body purse capable of holding it.  Otherwise, I never used to use a purse on the ship--just put my keycard in my pocket.

• Like 5

We put passports and cash in the safe everything else is left out.  
At the pool I take my kindle and phone, the phone stays in my tote and when I go in the pool the kindle joins the phone in the tote, under the chair.  
Never had a problem. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have no problem leaving electronics out in the room. I do put wallet and jewelry in safe. No worries about bringing my kindle and  phone to the retreat deck and solarium. I never carry a purse except for dinner..must have lipstick, tissue  and a brush. Otherwise, my seapass and phone are in my pocket. I’ve never had a problem and don’t stress about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never had an issue on a ship.

However, many ports are not as safe. Pick pocketing is rife in many ports and cities. Whilst most of the time you are ‘safely’ robbed (you don’t even notice) there are occasions where violence is used especially when tourists leave the main areas…

General rules…

Find out about each port you visit, safe and unsafe areas. Tourist maps often available.
Take minimal cash with you.Use a lanyard or belt rather than a wallet in a pocket.

Avoid wearing expensive watches and jewellery.

If you take a credit card off ship make sure you still have a different one on board.

Be alert when you put items (bags) next to you in cafés etc.

Be alert to locals offering to ‘take you’ to shops or restaurants ‘great value, just down here…’

If you are threatened to hand over valuables just do it.

Whilst most of us usually have no problems in ports it is the unwary who are often targeted…

• Like 6

10 hours ago, PineappleTraveler said:

I realize opinions will be subjective here, but your good/bad experiences are appreciated.

How safe is your stuff on a full ship? One of us is probably a little too carefree on vacation, and the other one probably a little too paranoid. Would you lock your phone in the safe rather than leave it plugged in when you leave the cabin? If you left a purse/wallet on a pool chair and went swimming, would you feel the need to keep an eye on it the whole time? Have you ever been pick pocketed on a ship?

If another passenger was threatening to you in some way, do you believe the ship security would respond helpfully to a request for assistance? Any safety tips you recommend? 

Threatening behavior on a Celebrity ship? Carnival maybe, but not the relaxed, laid back world of X. Too mature for the nonsense.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PineappleTraveler said:

My input can only be, for the most part, if one believes that they are being threatened let an officer know ASAP so it can be addressed.

X, IME, does not tolerate such expressions on board rather the aggressor is sober or not and I Am sure it may happen moreso after a few throw backs at one of the bars...

Although, I may have witnessed a passenger or two who had other issues and became threatening to others while aboard X... but security took care of the issue, by what means, not sure, but it was addressed.

Go, sail and if something like this is of concern just keep aware of the environment...

I know unpleasant things happen on cruise ships, I have only personally encountered such a situation once...

bon voyage

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chemmo said:

Whilst most of us usually have no problems in ports it is the unwary who are often targeted…

"Situational awareness" is a good old military phrase we used during hostilities (and other times).  It applies in the real world, too.

• Like 5

I can honestly say that in the 30+ cruises we have done over the years, i cant remember anything ever being stolen on any cruise line.  And ive done some bone head things like leaving cash, wallets, etc out in my cabin when we arent there, phones and wallets visible on deck chairs, etc. Lets assume alcohol played a role in some of those decisions...  Luck probably factored in not having anything taken too, but i do believe that most passengers and crew arent there to steal anything. 

The only time i actually think about this is around the pool.  I attempt to remember to at least cover up my belonging or put them in a pool bag.

• Thanks 1

A few years ago, I left my shawl in the lounge.  I never got it back.  I checked with the lost and found periodically, and it was never turned in.. I did look around to see if anyone was wearing it😬

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The OP did state this is their first cruise and based on their name, guessing they're from the Philippines and perhaps have not vacationed much in or around North America

it can also mean something else....

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, cluso said:

It's amazing how many women carry their purse everywhere onboard (and I am a woman).  We see this on every cruise.  We use the safe for passports, wallets, and cash.  I am not into many jewels.  Electronics and prescription drugs we just leave in the drawers or on a charger.  First "Celebrity" cruise was on the Chandris Amerikanis in 1985.  No problems at all. We are in our 60's and 70's.   

I carry a small purse for several reasons.  I like to have my phone with me and my clothes don't have pockets.  I also carry hand sanitizer and kleenex, as well as extra dollars for tipping. Also extra Dramamine with me so I don't have to run back to the cabin if I need it. Also my clip on sunglasses. But if I'm going to the pool I just bring my seapass card.

• Like 2

I've cruised over 70 times, mostly on Celebrity,  and have never ever felt unsafe. I leave phones, laptops and such out in the cabin, but would be hesitant about leaving out any significant money or jewelry.  The room stewards would not stay employed long if they were stealing from their passengers! Out of the room its common sense not to leave a purse or wallet sitting around without you nearby. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PineappleTraveler said:

Sounds like maybe you should stay home. LOL