Princess overdoing Alaska

sunsetme

I don’t personally see the 2023 season as being more than what the market would bear.  It’s a lot of capacity, but there’s a lot of demand.  

I am somewhat surprised that Vancouver has resumed the 7-NT round trip, given the expense and perceived difficulty of getting to Vancouver from the Lower 48.  They must have evidence that it yields more than a midweek sailing from Seattle would.  

I used to think homeporting a ship in SF for the Alaska season was ridiculous but as I’ve sailed more from SF, I’ve come to understand that marketplace a little differently - the local catchment area of people who come by car or coach is massive, affluent and pretty loyal.  

Historically, Princess has had *more* ships in Alaska.  At one point they had two Grand-class ships doing Seattle 7NTs, an R-Class doing Seattle 14NTs; two Grands and Island/Coral doing Vancouver linehaul 7NT to Whittier and the 7NT round trips on a Grand.  By making Seattle Royal-class vessels, they pick up some capacity with fewer ships but that 14NT went for a fortune per day.  

• Like 1

they have to use the ships somewhere. Asia Market still not there yet.  about the only other place to use them is Europe and they have plenty there. They will fill the ships.

50 minutes ago, ldtr said:

they have to use the ships somewhere. Asia Market still not there yet.  about the only other place to use them is Europe and they have plenty there. They will fill the ships.

Princess cancelled our 21day Sydney-Hong Kong in April 2024 to move Majestic back to Alaska. Had to cancel our other 22 days ahead of that one.

2 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

I don’t personally see the 2023 season as being more than what the market would bear.  It’s a lot of capacity, but there’s a lot of demand.  

I am somewhat surprised that Vancouver has resumed the 7-NT round trip, given the expense and perceived difficulty of getting to Vancouver from the Lower 48.  They must have evidence that it yields more than a midweek sailing from Seattle would.  

I used to think homeporting a ship in SF for the Alaska season was ridiculous but as I’ve sailed more from SF, I’ve come to understand that marketplace a little differently - the local catchment area of people who come by car or coach is massive, affluent and pretty loyal.  

Historically, Princess has had *more* ships in Alaska.  At one point they had two Grand-class ships doing Seattle 7NTs, an R-Class doing Seattle 14NTs; two Grands and Island/Coral doing Vancouver linehaul 7NT to Whittier and the 7NT round trips on a Grand.  By making Seattle Royal-class vessels, they pick up some capacity with fewer ships but that 14NT went for a fortune per day.  

It is interesting.  I just received a PCL survey, last week about the type of cruise that would interest us to Alaska on future cruises.

We like longer cruises, 14+ nights and definitely not YVR due to airfares and hotel prices.  We prefer Seattle, but they would need to make longer cruises and do the inside passage to have us book Alaska again.  JMO

I've cruised to Alaska 5 times, I think.  It's a no-brainer itinerary when you live on the West Coast.  

I've seen at least 5 or 6 other ships in some of the ports (Juneau and Ketchikan specifically) at the same time on most of my cruises.  So, whether it's Princess or other lines there is clearly a market.  Seems likely they can fill those ships.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Blondilu said:

I've cruised to Alaska 5 times, I think.  It's a no-brainer itinerary when you live on the West Coast.  

I've seen at least 5 or 6 other ships in some of the ports (Juneau and Ketchikan specifically) at the same time on most of my cruises.  So, whether it's Princess or other lines there is clearly a market.  Seems likely they can fill those ships.

There is demand, and we are likely to see MSC send a ship for Alaska service sometime in the next few years.  With inflation in other aspects of travel even the high fares seem reasonable compared to a week long visit to a major city.

Look at this itinerary on HAL and drool with envy.   It’s spectacular.  

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/A4L28A/W438.html

The Royal-class ships just can’t do the Seymour Narrows, and in any event, it’s not like you’re going to get a daylight trip along the east side of Vancouver Island while you can see anything.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

The Royal-class ships just can’t do the Seymour Narrows, and in any event, it’s not like you’re going to get a daylight trip along the east side of Vancouver Island while you can see anything.  

I just booked that 28 day cruise on HAL today. We have done 3 Alaskan cruises, one was the land and cruise, and the two others were the 14 day cruises which were my favorite because of the unique ports other than the standard Ones. 

1 hour ago, Greysandy said:

I just booked that 28 day cruise on HAL today. We have done 3 Alaskan cruises, one was the land and cruise, and the two others were the 14 day cruises which were my favorite because of the unique ports other than the standard Ones. 

you just *know* HAL is going to have complaints about how it gets dark too late/bright too early.  

make sure you plan to have breakfast ashore in Nome.  The *best* Eggs Benedict you’ll ever eat. Everyone knows there’s no place like Nome for the Hollandaise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

That is a nice itinerary.  Thanks for sharing. 

I sailed Alaska twice this year and have 2 scheduled for 2023.  West coaster here.  

Alaska is a great break from the Redding summer heat and we do Mexico in Jan-Feb for a break from the winter cold.  

I'm happy with the sailings offered.  I don't have to travel too far and I get to be on a cruise.  What more could I ask for!

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 7:49 AM, Yehootu said:

Princess cancelled our 21day Sydney-Hong Kong in April 2024 to move Majestic back to Alaska. Had to cancel our other 22 days ahead of that one.

This is more because of the Chinese market hasn't re started cruising so Princess made the call early.

21 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

We’re booked on this as well!  We’ve been on about a dozen Alaskan cruises as well as extended stays on land but there are a number places we haven’t visited yet!  

On 12/15/2022 at 7:34 PM, VibeGuy said:

it’s not like you’re going to get a daylight trip along the east side of Vancouver Island while you can see anything.

this is my biggest complaint about the mass market Alaska sailings, much of the scenic cruising happens at night after dark. 

On 12/15/2022 at 6:10 PM, LawDog61 said:

I would love to see them bring back LA-Alaska, RT.  We did that in 2019 and it was great.  We did the 10 day. out of SF this year and it was great too, but not worth the flying and hotel stay for me

Oh yes!  We had two LA-Alaska bookings canceled and have been so hoping they would offer that itinerary soon.  There were so many people who expressed displeasure when the first trip on May 30, 2020 was cancelled, due to the transfer of the Golden to P & O, that Princess offered another on the July 3, 2021, subsequently canceled due to Covid. I’m sure it would be a popular itinerary and I don’t know why they haven’t brought it back.  Lois

On 12/16/2022 at 4:34 AM, VibeGuy said:

The itinerary looks great. Too bad Princess isn’t offering it as HAL is just too “relaxing” for us. I wonder if HAL will even have a professional lecturer and a naturalist on this cruise, not counting the park ranger that gets on at Glacier Bay?

Edited by Ken the cruiser

12 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The itinerary looks great. Too bad Princess isn’t offering it as HAL is just too “relaxing” for us.

Only two Princess ships are about the same size as the HAL ship doing this route.

Grand Class and Royal Class just have too many passengers for some of the ports on this itinerary to handle with a good experience for all.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, caribill said:

Only two Princess ships are about the same size as the HAL ship doing this route.

Grand Class and Royal Class just have too many passengers for some of the ports on this itinerary to handle with a good experience for all.

Possibly the Coral or Island as they have about the same capacity as the Westerdam. Sounds good to me. 😁