First time cruise random questions

Hello everyone. Our first cruise is a week-long Caribbean cruise leaving out of Miami next March and we are aboard the Oasis. I have done a ton of research but still have some oddball questions. Any help is appreciated.

1)    How ‘safe” are the room safes? I have read about the small size but only plan on keeping some paperwork, passports, and some cash in them. Should we not worry?

2)    Does Labadee/Coco Cay have towel service on the islands or do we need to bring them from the ship?

3)    Does Labadee have lockers for use?

4)    How cold does the room refrigerators keep things. I have heard conflicting stories about these? 

5)    Do the room refrigerators come stock with expensive temptation already? We don’t want those things but are concerned about if we will have enough room to keep a 12 pack of sodas?

6)    Is there a way to see what shows are playing when before in the days before the cruise?

7)    How fast do ship shows “sell out”? Once onboard how fast do we need to worry about booking shows?

😎    When reserving shows do you reserve specific seats? If so is there a “best seats” list anywhere or are most seats fine?

9)    We have a 14 and 12 year old. Will we be fine letting the roam around on their own (together) during some of the day or will we always need to be nearby. Just before I hear anything they are well behaved and have basic manners so I am less worried about them disturbing others than I am about anything happening to them from other passengers.

I am sure I will have more questions before we leaveJ Any help is appreciated even unsolicited advice.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

March is plenty of time to explore the topics under Royal Caribbean to answer many of your questions.  You'll find opinions, complaints, and praises on many of the topics you ask about so you can form comprehensive answers to your own questions.

Just put some effort into it!

10 minutes ago, StickyWombat said:

Hello everyone. Our first cruise is a week-long Caribbean cruise leaving out of Miami next March and we are aboard the Oasis. I have done a ton of research but still have some oddball questions. Any help is appreciated.

1)    How ‘safe” are the room safes? I have read about the small size but only plan on keeping some paperwork, passports, and some cash in them. Should we not worry?

2)    Does Labadee/Coco Cay have towel service on the islands or do we need to bring them from the ship?

4)    How cold does the room refrigerators keep things. I have heard conflicting stories about these? 

5)    Do the room refrigerators come stock with expensive temptation already? We don’t want those things but are concerned about if we will have enough room to keep a 12 pack of sodas?

6)    Is there a way to see what shows are playing when before in the days before the cruise?

7)    How fast do ship shows “sell out”? Once onboard how fast do we need to worry about booking shows?

😎    When reserving shows do you reserve specific seats? If so is there a “best seats” list anywhere or are most seats fine?

9)    We have a 14 and 12 year old. Will we be fine letting the roam around on their own (together) during some of the day or will we always need to be nearby. Just before I hear anything they are well behaved and have basic manners so I am less worried about them disturbing others than I am about anything happening to them from other passengers.

I am sure I will have more questions before we leaveJ Any help is appreciated even unsolicited advice.

Thank you.

1.  safes are fine.  4 and 5.  we have had our sodas in there and they are fine.  We brought in 24 (2 12 packs) and kept the extra under the bed that didn't fit.  6.  Check cruise planner on Royal App a few days prior to cruise.  Shows should be there.  7.  Some sailings you can pre book.  Others you have to wait until you board.  No assigned seats.  9.  As the mother of 5, I let them roam.   There will be a free chat app available soon on the app.  It's your call how you want to communicate.  You'll read 290 ways to do it on these boards. We always had wifi but kids liked the kids club or hanging with us.  It's really your call.

1 hour ago, StickyWombat said:

Thank you.

1. Safe was fine for us, and big enough for what you need

2. Cococay has towels on the island, although not many towel stations 

4. Our fridge was more of a cooler, if something is warm it won’t get it really cold 

5. in a non suite, the fridges are empty

6. 30-60 days out you will be able to see and book shows online - I would recommend doing this

7. They sell out fast. They do have a line for those without reservations, if you do that get there early.  You are not reserving a specific seat. Blocks of seats are reserved for suites/ key holders etc, otherwise it’s first come first served for choice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StickyWombat said:

Thank you.

Safes are easy to use and secure.  We have a medium-sized travel document bag that holds our passports, money, and prepared excursion envelopes.  This bag + our car keys doesn't even come close to filling the safe.  We keep our phones and my camera in nightstand drawers.  I bring one simple necklace and a pair of earrings.  If I take them off, they're almost always in my nightstand drawer.  

Having said that, ours on Explorer wouldn't lock /stay closed.  Our cabin steward (they are the keepers of all wisdom) called someone to fix it.  The only negative was that my husband had to stay in the room about an hour waiting for them.  This was a pain, but it's also an unusual situation. 

I haven't been to Labadee in years.  I was at Coco Cay last week -- they have towel service and lockers.  

I'd suggest leaving your money, etc. on the ship when you go to a private island.  Your food will be no-cost, and if you buy a drink it can be charged to your sea pass. 

As for towels, my personal system is to check out towels on the first night of the cruise ... and EXCHANGE THEM rather than turn them in.  That means my number only goes in once /comes out once.  Fewer opportunities for a mistyped number. 

Most rooms have "coolers" not real refrigerators.  On Explorer in September ours was good and chilly, but on Indy last week it was barely cold.  My personal habit is to pick up a cup of ice from the Promenade Cafe or Windjammer and pour my soda over that.  You can ask your room steward for a bucket of ice for beer or wine.  

No temptation in the fridges.  Plenty of room for your sodas.  

Have you loaded the RCCI app on your phone?  It will let you see the shows, movies, events and menus ahead of time.  Menus will pop up soon.  Shows may not appear until literally the day before the cruise.  We have never reserved and have never been turned away.  

When my kids were that age, I set down some rules -- and I was more strict that the average cruiser.  No apologies for that.  Let me think about what my rules were:  No going into other people's cabins.  No friends in our cabin.  Do not accept a drink from anyone except a bartender (I have all girls).  We did get them the soda package because we didn't want them to feel "they must" finish a drink that'd been out of their sight.   We get off the ship together.  You may plan breakfast or lunch with friends, but we have dinner as a family.  After dinner, you are either with us doing family activities OR you're in a supervised activity in the teen club -- no wandering around in the dark with people you don't really know.  We did not allow our kids charging privledges.  We brought sticky notes (a color for everyone) and left notes on the room TV about where we were.  

We never had a single minute's trouble with our kids on the ship -- and I think it's because we made our expectations clear ahead of time.  

11 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Have your kids go to the teen club the first night, they’ll meet new friends.

Good advice.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Safes are easy to use and secure.  We have a medium-sized travel document bag that holds our passports, money, and prepared excursion envelopes.  This bag + our car keys doesn't even come close to filling the safe.  We keep our phones and my camera in nightstand drawers.  I bring one simple necklace and a pair of earrings.  If I take them off, they're almost always in my nightstand drawer.  

Having said that, ours on Explorer wouldn't lock /stay closed.  Our cabin steward (they are the keepers of all wisdom) called someone to fix it.  The only negative was that my husband had to stay in the room about an hour waiting for them.  This was a pain, but it's also an unusual situation. 

I haven't been to Labadee in years.  I was at Coco Cay last week -- they have towel service and lockers.  

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'd suggest leaving your money, etc. on the ship when you go to a private island.  Your food will be no-cost, and if you buy a drink it can be charged to your sea pass. 

As for towels, my personal system is to check out towels on the first night of the cruise ... and EXCHANGE THEM rather than turn them in.  That means my number only goes in once /comes out once.  Fewer opportunities for a mistyped number. 

Most rooms have "coolers" not real refrigerators.  On Explorer in September ours was good and chilly, but on Indy last week it was barely cold.  My personal habit is to pick up a cup of ice from the Promenade Cafe or Windjammer and pour my soda over that.  You can ask your room steward for a bucket of ice for beer or wine.  

No temptation in the fridges.  Plenty of room for your sodas.  

Have you loaded the RCCI app on your phone?  It will let you see the shows, movies, events and menus ahead of time.  Menus will pop up soon.  Shows may not appear until literally the day before the cruise.  We have never reserved and have never been turned away.  

When my kids were that age, I set down some rules -- and I was more strict that the average cruiser.  No apologies for that.  Let me think about what my rules were:  No going into other people's cabins.  No friends in our cabin.  Do not accept a drink from anyone except a bartender (I have all girls).  We did get them the soda package because we didn't want them to feel "they must" finish a drink that'd been out of their sight.   We get off the ship together.  You may plan breakfast or lunch with friends, but we have dinner as a family.  After dinner, you are either with us doing family activities OR you're in a supervised activity in the teen club -- no wandering around in the dark with people you don't really know.  We did not allow our kids charging privledges.  We brought sticky notes (a color for everyone) and left notes on the room TV about where we were.  

We never had a single minute's trouble with our kids on the ship -- and I think it's because we made our expectations clear ahead of time.  

Good advice.  

They are sailing on Oasis, there are no drawers in the nightstands, only shelves.  Refrigerator has been very cold on all our Oasis sailings, not like the coolers on older ships. 

The OP absolutely should book their shows prior to sailing now that this is a possibility again.  They will not get into the comedy club or the aqua show unless they have a reservation or plan to stand in a standby line at least an hour prior to the show.  They should keep an eye on the rollcall for their sailing to see when others have been able to book shows so they don't miss out.  I also check my cruise planner regularly to see if they are available to book.

As far as private islands, do bring some cash if you plan on going to the straw market on Labadee as your sea pass does not work with the private vendors, cash only.  There are also attendants that will move chairs to wherever you want on Labadee that expect a tip.

As far as kids 14 and 12, I would have no issue with them going around the ship together, night or day.  We always made sure we knew where our son was going to be and he knew where we were and if plans changed, we left a note in the cabin, as did he.  Just set your rules for your kids upfront.  We always gave our son charging privileges and a daily budget because it teaches them to be responsible.  He knew if he bought more than he was allowed, it was coming out of his money.  He also knew if he saw a tshirt or something he wanted, he just had to show us and we would okay the purchase.  You know your kids, if they are responsible kids, there is no reason to not let them enjoy themselves.

As far as the safes on Oasis, ours fit two 8" Kindles, 3 cell phones, a small jewelry pouch, passports and two small wallets.  My iPad did not fit in at all, the safe was not deep enough.  There was plenty of room for it at an angle but just not the depth for it.

42 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

They are sailing on Oasis, there are no drawers in the nightstands, only shelves.  Refrigerator has been very cold on all our Oasis sailings, not like the coolers on older ships. 

On my most recent Oasis cruise (September), my "fridge" was so bad that I requested and received a medical refrigerator to keep a few things cold.  (don't frown at me; I asked and asked again that I NOT receive one if someone with actual medical needs required it)

During our Nov Oasis cruise, one guy says get towels on CoCoCay. Next guy, near the exitway, says best check out towels here before exiting.   We did that.  

Our fridge kept soft drinks pretty cold.  Sounds like this varies by cabin. 

We reserved shows once on board without any issues.  

I think your 12 & 14 year olds will have a blast on Oasis.  

Edited by ldubs

Just now, ldubs said:

During our Nov Oasis cruise, one guy says get towels on CoCoCay. Next guy, near the exitway, says best check out towels here before exiting.   We did that.  

I think your 12 & 14 year olds will have a blast on Oasis.  

The ONE time I decided to not carry off my own towels, and wait until I was on the island, EVERY SINGLE TOWEL STATION WAS OUT OF TOWELS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Many thanks to the wonderful advice on kids supervision. I believe your girls are now very wonderful ones, and among other things, they're wonderful because they had parents whom were good enough on telling them what "no" means in our entire life. Your parenting standards are what I consider the bare minimum for all of us to have a safe world to live in!... Congrats!...

The no drinks other than from a bartender is essential these days where cheap synthetic drugs are as spread as they may be. Surely it would to be difficult to insert them on a cruise ship, but who knows? Nobody knows!...

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Have your kids go to the teen club the first night, they’ll meet new friends.

This is a GREAT piece of advice. Make sure they go on the FIRST night, that's when everyone meets and gets a chance to get to know each other. A lot of the week's activities will be discussed that night so they will know what to expect.

7 hours ago, StickyWombat said:

Safes are really unnecessary. We leave our passports in a drawer,,, and even cash. 

Get your towels in advance and take with you. Avoid lines trying to get towels on the island. 

Never seen any, but not sure what you would bring ashore that you want to lock up. You can assume some risk and leave your beach bag on your lounger when you go swimming or to lunch.  

They are refrigerators. 

Empty.

If you are in a suite, the concierge can email it to you a few days prior to departure. Otherwise, the Royal App will slowly be populated with activities. It is not always accurate until you embark, but it would give you some idea on what's going on. 

Make reservations a priority as soon as you embark. The app works fine for this. 

Just entrance. Seating is first come first serve. Hint hint... show up early if you want a good seat. 

Your kids are not getting off the ship, so letting them go on their own is fine. Ensure that you register them with the kids club and make sure they go on the first night to make friends. Then, you won't see them at all for the reset of the cruise. 

• Like 1

Free lockers on Coco Cay , a slight charge on Labadee.

Lockers at Labadee are located in Buccaneer's Bay, the first place you’ll arrive in Labadee once off the ship. To access the locker area, take a right at the end of the dock and walk to the large shaded building. Inside you’ll find lockers available.

image.png.a23f715eb45fa56b7399a43d128eca04.png 

Please excuse the oversized print...

Edited by taglovestocruise

For everyone who answered THANK YOU. This has helped for sure. I have had the app downloaded since I first booked the cruise in September. I tend to over research  (I have my personal spreadsheet created for the trip...lol) so I have most things figured out already. I just want to be prepared and not miss on something as simple a show by not booking in time. Good tips on the kids thing (especially the Teen Club). Most of what Mum2Mercury said about rules of the kids sounds like sound advice and probably what we would have said anyways but good to see it so clearly written.

• Like 2

My kids are grown now but cruising was a great way for them to gain some new experiences in a relatively safe environment. Going up to the bar and ordering their own Shirley Temples, ordering in the main dining room for themselves, navigating around the ship, all great maturing experiences. It's also a great opportunity to discuss appropriate behavior in public, to be kind to the mobility challenged by helping with elevators and doors, to practice manners, to not be annoying lol. 

The teen club may or may not be every kids cup of tea. Mine liked the younger school aged groups but not the teen stuff. They were happy to do their own thing so go with what works for your kids.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

The teen club may or may not be every kids cup of tea. Mine liked the younger school aged groups but not the teen stuff. They were happy to do their own thing so go with what works for your kids

You are right about the kids/teen programs.  We took our three grand kids in Dec 2019.  Ages were 16, 14 and 10.  16 and 14 year old had no interest but the 10 year old was absolutely stoked by it.  It really depends on the temperament of the kids.

• Like 1

Teens: 

-Mine were 12 and 15 on our last cruise. They absolutely loved being fairly independent on the ship. Just make sure you work out your communication system ahead of time. 

-The teens may want to be able to view the schedule for the day on a device of some sort using the app (don't need Voom for the app). Your 14 year old can set up their own account but the 12 year old will need to view someone else's account because they have to be 13 to have their own. 

-The meet up may be in the afternoon. I've been seeing 2-5pm on sailings (and it was for Allure last April)

-Check in on your roll call to see if there are other teens with similar interests beforehand. Having a friendly face to go to the teen meet up together might be helpful for your kids, especially if they are more shy/introverted.

-I'd also add for teen rules to never, never sit on a railing or lean over a railing.

-Decide ahead of time if they will have charging privileges, what they can buy (i.e. arcade, drinks), what their limit is, and then keep an eye on any charges.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StickyWombat said:

For everyone who answered THANK YOU. This has helped for sure. I have had the app downloaded since I first booked the cruise in September. I tend to over research  (I have my personal spreadsheet created for the trip...lol) so I have most things figured out already. I just want to be prepared and not miss on something as simple a show by not booking in time. Good tips on the kids thing (especially the Teen Club). Most of what Mum2Mercury said about rules of the kids sounds like sound advice and probably what we would have said anyways but good to see it so clearly written.

If you are going to do the escape room be sure to book it as soon as you can on embarkation day, it sells out for the week very quickly.  If you are not aware there is a no charge breakfast at Johny Rockets before 10:30 every morning, pretty decent outside meal. As soon as you board go to the MDR to check out your table, easy to make a change if you want to move.  We always email royal a few weeks before sail date and request a table alongside the balcony railing. Skip the Windjammer boarding day lunch, it is a zoo. Head to Park Cafe or the Bistro for a relaxing lunch. If the parade make a comeback  you can get a great view from up in the photo center along the balcony railing or if early enough a cocktail in Schooners overlooking the parade.  For a late night family snack in the cabin you can get a full box pizza for take away at Sorrento's. 

9 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

... As far as private islands, do bring some cash if you plan on going to the straw market on Labadee as your sea pass does not work with the private vendors, cash only.  There are also attendants that will move chairs to wherever you want on Labadee that expect a tip.

... As far as kids 14 and 12, I would have no issue with them going around the ship together, night or day ... He also knew if he saw a tshirt or something he wanted, he just had to show us and we would okay the purchase.  You know your kids, if they are responsible kids, there is no reason to not let them enjoy themselves.

I rarely buy anything during cruises, so I forgot about the straw market -- nothing special.  Having said that, I assume your beach bag has a small, solid zippered pocket for storing a few dollars and your ship ID.  The private islands are pretty safe.  

8 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Many thanks to the wonderful advice on kids supervision. I believe your girls are now very wonderful ones, and among other things, they're wonderful because they had parents whom were good enough on telling them what "no" means in our entire life. Your parenting standards are what I consider the bare minimum for all of us to have a safe world to live in!... Congrats!...

Thanks -- yes, when my girls were younger, they always behaved better /we rarely ever had any conflict when I spelled out my expectations clearly.  

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Then, you won't see them at all for the reset of the cruise. 

That was never my goal!  

5 hours ago, StickyWombat said:

I tend to over research  (I have my personal spreadsheet created for the trip...lol) ... Most of what Mum2Mercury said about rules of the kids sounds like sound advice and probably what we would have said anyways but good to see it so clearly written.

Yes, I have a personal spreadsheet, which I update for each cruise -- I print out a copy to have in the room.  

Thanks!  I think it's handy to know how other people have handled their kids on board -- not that you'd adopt every word, but it's nice to have a starting point.  

5 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

... ordering in the main dining room for themselves, navigating around the ship, all great maturing experiences. It's also a great opportunity to discuss appropriate behavior in public, to be kind to the mobility challenged by helping with elevators and doors, to practice manners, to not be annoying lol. 

A note about ordering in the MDR:  When my girls started cruising, they were young /not that used to ordering for themselves.  We "practiced" with them beforehand, having them order an appetizer, an entree and a dessert.  It made them feel competent.  

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

-The teens may want to be able to view the schedule for the day on a device of some sort using the app (don't need Voom for the app).

When my kids were younger, we used to get a separate paper Kids' Compass /Teen Compass each evening.  Is that gone?  

Some ships have an interactive deck plan & Compass near the elevators.  Kids can stop and check out the daily activities for their age group.  

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

... If the parade make a comeback  you can get a great view from up in the photo center along the balcony railing or if early enough a cocktail in Schooners overlooking the parade.  For a late night family snack in the cabin you can get a full box pizza for take away at Sorrento's. 

We loved our Promenade View Room -- we didn't see any parades, but they had music several times, and we loved our front row seat.  The 70s show was the best.  

I didn't know you could get a full box pizza.  Maybe I should keep that information from my husband. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1