The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday December 23rd, 2022

rafinmd

Today is Festivus, National Christmas Movie Marathon Day, and National Pfeffernusse Day

In every day, there are 1,440 minutes. That means we have 1,440 daily opportunities to make a positive impact. Les Brown - Author

Meal Suggestion for today - Roasted Tomato and Chive Pizza
Drink of the Day - Tea New Fashioned
Wine of the Day - Hangtime Pinot Noir, California
Destination of the Day - Key West, Florida, US

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Ocho Rios, Jamaica eta 12/24

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico eta 12/24

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana eta 12/24

Oosterdam

Punta del Este, Uruguay 08:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Panama Canal, Colon, Panama 05:00 - 05:00

Zaandam

Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Half Moon Cay 08:00 - 16:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Picton, New Zealand 08:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Lyttelton (Christchurch), New Zealand 8:00 AM To 5:00 PM

Capture1.JPG.3fb6c0d7b3e112d13daed26d8ee69809.JPG

Capture2.JPG.3970a2f5b49aab5e71d7c866d96deb79.JPG

Roy (Posting Rich's original content

• Like 31
  • Thanks 11

Wow, are we early today. Thanks rafinmd for taking over the daily duties and updating the fleet update and general info.

Please, if we are going to have a National Cookie Day, have a cookie I can pronounce, like sugar, oatmeal, chocolate chip, Oreo, etc.

And destination of the day, Key West. Hope I can sail back to KW and have my favorite; chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick. Almost as good as a chocolate covered corn dog on a stick 😳.

And don’t forget about my favorite place to shop in Key West; The Everything is $5  Store. Have not been there is three years. Probably everything is now $5.50 due to inflation!

• Like 18
  • Haha 6

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Still raining and 1°C in Bruce County.  We've got a Blizzard Warning.  High winds and lots of snow expected starting later today.  Temperatures will start to fall soon, down to -9°C (16°F). We could get up to 50cm (20inch) of snow by Sunday.  We're staying in and hoping the power stays on.  

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Just now, richwmn said:

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor posting this morning. We will be at Half Moon Cay today. So far it looks like a great day for the beach.

Thank you @richwmn for generating the content.  I think I'll pass on Festivus and the Movie Marathon.  I love the Les Brown and have been to Key West several times and especially appreciated docking in Mallory on the S-Class.  I think I'll pass on the meal.  I was scratching my head  for an alternative but think a Pfeffernusse would fill the bill quite nicely.

National-Pfeffernuse-Day-December-23.jpg

Today’s care list:

North American winter storms
smitty34877 recovering from hip replacement
pauline’s friend losing daughter
USN59-79 with leg fracture
Marshhawk DH family illnesses
From the rotation:
Ottahand7 DB in rehab and trying to leave per-maturely
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades

na1223.thumb.JPG.72c9f13125ef866d497099af8215b081.JPG

Hannukah day5
4 days for ottahand7 (Volendam 12/27 to 3/18/23)
Cruisin Terri (Insignia  to 12/28) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Kazu and Av8rix (Koningsdam  to 1/7/23), Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25/23), and indaler (Volendam  to 3/18/23),  richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you @richwmn for generating the content.  I think I'll pass on Festivus and the Movie Marathon.  I love the Les Brown and have been to Key West several times and especially appreciated docking in Mallory on the S-Class.  I think I'll pass on the meal.  I was scratching my head  for an alternative but think a Pfeffernusse would fill the bill quite nicely.

National-Pfeffernuse-Day-December-23.jpg

Today’s care list:

North American winter storms
smitty34877 recovering from hip replacement
pauline’s friend losing daughter
USN59-79 with leg fracture
Marshhawk DH family illnesses
From the rotation:
Ottahand7 DB in rehab and trying to leave per-maturely
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades

na1223.thumb.JPG.72c9f13125ef866d497099af8215b081.JPG

Hannukah day5
4 days for ottahand7 (Volendam 12/27 to 3/18/23)
Cruisin Terri (Insignia  to 12/28) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Kazu and Av8rix (Koningsdam  to 1/7/23), Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25/23), and indaler (Volendam  to 3/18/23),  richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy as well as posting the daily and fleet reports.

Graham.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Daily-ites.

On our way to Grand Turk this morning. Looks like a beautiful day. We are taking the open air island tour.

Last night's Dressy dinner was good. Filet and lobster.

Stopped by and met up with a couple we were trivia teams with last year and had 2 other's join in. We did good on travel trivia, but another team had a perfect score.

Lifting prayers to our friend Roy. Thank you for stepping in to post the Daily.

Also to those caught in terrible, nasty, freezing weather: stay in and stay warm!!

Have a great day!

• Like 23

Thank you for the Daily Report.   It has been pouring rain all night.  My dh had a rough night's sleep, therefore I had a rough night's sleep. We have a steel roof on our home, which is a bungalow, so whenever it rains, we hear it.  I love the sound of the rain on the roof, but knowing  that the temperature will be dropping  doesn't make me happy.  Thankfully all the errands and shopping is done for the holiday.   Today I will be baking. 

• Like 22

Happy Friday!  Hope effects from severe weather aren’t too bad for Daily-ites.  Stay warm!  We will probably turn our heater on later today.

Yesterday we had zoom Global entry interviews.  We both passed, but mine is only good until December 2026 while DH’s is good until July 2028??

I heard that Bank of America’s preferred awards card provides travel insurance for medevacs, etc (but not medical expenses), does anyone have any experience with card?  I wonder if you have to put entire cost of cruise on that card?

Best wishes to all!

• Like 23

Good Friday morning.  Today's drink is one I've never heard of.

Tea New Fashioned:

Ingredients
1 ½ parts Legent® Bourbon
½ part Choya® Plum Wine
1 bar spoon of Campari®
½ part Matcha Syrup*
Garnish: Fresh Shiso Leaf or Mint

Instructions
Combine ingredients in a mixing glass with ice and stir until well chilled. Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube. Garnish with a shiso leaf or mint.
*To Make Matcha Syrup: Add 1 part hot water, 1 part sugar and ½ part matcha tea powder in a matcha shaker and shake for 30 seconds. Transfer to sealed container. Use within 1-2 days.

Screenshot 2022-12-23 at 7.26.01 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich via Roy! It is a balmy 51 here in Southern New Hampshire where it is raining hard and windy. My trip up was not terrible. I knew I would hit traffic, but it was not terrible. I even had time for some grocery shopping before going to my nephew’s.  It was 41 when I landed. Tomorrow will be an entirely different story when it will be 14 with a “feels like” -1. It has been a long time since I encountered those kind of temps. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists & covering for Rich! Today is focused on cookie baking - once the girls come home from school and planning the timeline for Sunday’s dinner. A couple members of the family have bad colds, so though I hope to escape that fate, I am braced for it. 

A618D971-2BB2-4244-AA24-1C7718F226A6.jpeg.cae78d969fbb419d9ecdefb849c8d0f8.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Get well & stay well everyone!

Hangtime Pinot NoirCalifornia

This Pinot Noir has very good - excellent ratings from reviewers, though several consumers use the word “harsh” in their reviews. This wine might be a good candidate for the clef du vin. It’s reasonable price of $12.99 would make it an easy one to test. 

Winemaker’s notes

California Grown

Grapes for Hangtime Pinot Noir are given extended hangtime and harvested at peak ripeness, when they reach the perfect balance between concentrated fruit character, soft tannins, and bright acidity.

TASTING NOTES

The Hangtime Pinot Noir exhibits a rich garnet color with aromas of dark cherry, dried cranberry, and hints of allspice. The silky mouthfeel and supple tannins contribute to a long and satisfying finish.

FOOD PAIRINGS

Hangtime Pinot Noir pairs extremely well with lightly spiced foods, roast pork with herbs, pasta with red sauce, and medium bodied and flavored cheeses such as gruyere.

WINEMAKING

We named this wine after a key part of viticulture — the amount of time grapes spend hanging on the vines ripening to perfection. The longer it takes to reach that peak of ripeness within the growing season, the more concentrated the fruit character emerges, resulting in a wine with distinctive and delicious varietal expression. Our winemaker keeps a close eye on the clusters hanging in the vineyard in order to decide exactly how many days on the vine they need to attain complete maturity

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

Good morning friends!  It's blowing a gale out there this morning and overnight last night.  A short while ago it was 19F, but now it's 21 and I see the temp going up and down a couple degrees at a time until around noon.  Then it will shoot up (lol) to 24F!  The sun will replace the clouds around 4 pm.  My phone forecast shows the next rain in our location will be on December 31!!  No snow around here thank goodness!

Thanks to Roy for filling in for Rich this morning.  Also thanks for the Care and Celebration lists Roy.  You did a good job on the maps too!  I'll celebrate Festivus (for the rest of us), and Christmas movies, but don't think I've ever had the cookie, much less know how to spell it.  Prayers for everyone on our Care list, and those traveling.  I hope all make it wherever they are going safely.  That reminds me, I'll be on the road early tomorrow morning so won't be here until late afternoon probably, God willing.  Cheers to everyone on the Celebration list!  Hope everyone is ready for Christmas.

Today's port of Key West is a popular one and getting harder to get into anymore due to limitations on cruise ship visits.  We were there in 2019 on the Rotterdam.  The port was listed here on June 26, 2021.  I've copied and pasted the link for anyone needing it for photos, but I see it was a very busy day for me and I didn't post any photos.  We were in St. Louis attending DGS Ren's soccer tournament there, so I didn't get here to the Daily until later in the day (they won by the way).  I'm sure there will be plenty of nice photos posted today by others so no worries.

We're taking a Covid test today to be sure we are safe to be around our loved ones.   I'll let you know if we go or stay "Home Alone".😉  Today we pack, plus I may do the laundry that I normally do on Saturdays so it won't be waiting when we return after Christmas.  Take care in these brutal temperatures!

• Like 25

19 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Thank you for the Daily.

Our nephew arrives today (to us as “our Sarah” is to @grapau27and Pauline). So it’s holiday kickoff time here.  Lovely that Christmas is on a Sunday this year.   ❤️

EFA8EA63-2D0C-4ADE-B5B3-BF07EED2CECE.jpeg.4c16e56059c8585fbd005d9f60862e1e.jpeg

Wishing you a fantastic time with your nephew for Christmas.

It is Sarah's birthday tomorrow and I will bring her to ours for Christmas day.

Graham.

• Like 19

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  It’s a very rainy and windy day here very glad I can work at home.  DH has the day off today so I thought I could sleep in a bit.  That lasted for about 15 minutes before Mona had enough of waiting for breakfast.  Thanks for all of the well wishes yesterday, I’m feeling better but will still stay home for the weekend.
image.thumb.png.ca7497a5f385b675cf4152065548f712.png

• Like 27

Good morning everyone.Waiting for the storm that hasn’t materialized yet. Praying it stays that way. We went to Key West in 2020 on the way to Cuba and celebrated DHs birthday there. That was just before the pandemic. I wish I had know about chocolate key lime pie on a stick when Inwas there.sounds like my kind of snack.

Stay safe everyone and wear your masks.

Carol

• Like 23