The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday December 23rd, 2022

rafinmd

Please be safe everyone! 

My neighbor said our whole neighborhood lost heat due to natural gas pressure from the cold! It was being fixed by Atmos, and some were getting heat back. I've never heard of this before.

Travel safely! I worry, so please get back to us that you arrived ok.

We went on a tour ( if you call it a tour?) Open air tram in Turk and Caicos today. Donkeys begging for carrots at the lighthouse. A guy was selling them for a dollar each.. Great entrepreneur!1223221039a.thumb.jpg.d0a408d644e8c5f68f874c3bfee01bc3.jpg

1223221021.thumb.jpg.849bd7555fbdbb6904a334338ba745c3.jpg

1223221354_HDR.thumb.jpg.46133008811e04e58e21508e84f7ed0a.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yeah, kinda but I did add "sorry" 😉 

Sorry Copper10-8, but sorry doesn't cut it.  We have had a minus 50 wind chill the last two days with the interstates shut down across the state due to the ground blizzard.  40 to 50 mph winds with temps around -20 F.  But on the bright side it is warming up, we are up to a balmy -3 now.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Morning Lenda; that's another interesting one; USS Coronado (LCS-4), a US Navy Independence-class trimaran littoral combat ship. She's no longer active, having been decommissioned on September 14 of this year at her home port of San Diego

US Navy 130823-N-EW716-001 USS Coronado conducts at-sea acceptance trials.jpg

John, thank you for the information USS Coranado.  

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Good day all!  Huge shout out to Roy!  Wishing everyone safe travels!  still minus a gazillion but hopefully breaking tomorrow!    Had good news on the MRI, looks like I had a kidney stone that wreaked havoc,  things have improved thankfully. 

Enjoyed the photos of key west, it has been decades since we visited!
And the cookies all look great! 

@smitty34877 sending extra hugs and prayers your way!  

@Copper10-8 thanks for the photos and explanations on the ships. DH was interested. 

@kochleffel happy birthday! 

3DA47479-6DD1-46C2-BB18-49AED23ED486.jpeg

Brenda, sorry about the kidney stone, but glad things have improved.

20 minutes ago, dfish said:

It is a chilly 7F here with windchills to -16F.   Brrrr.

Chocolate Pecan Pie is made. 

Apple Streusel Caramel Walnut Pie is made.

Blueberry Crumb Pie is made.

I'm done for the day.  And, for once, I am not wearing as much pie as there is in the pie plate.

Debbie, I'm glad the pies are done, but as a member of the Messy Baker Club, you're letting the standards slide.  🤣

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, dfish said:

It is a chilly 7F here with windchills to -16F.   Brrrr.

Chocolate Pecan Pie is made. 

Apple Streusel Caramel Walnut Pie is made.

Blueberry Crumb Pie is made.

I'm done for the day.  And, for once, I am not wearing as much pie as there is in the pie plate.

Wow, you got a lot done. Sounds delicious. I'm just making Spaetzle (German pasta) to go with the Sauerbraten. Tomorrow I'll prep the Red Cabbage, for cooking on Sunday. I'm trying to get what I can do ahead done, so Sunday won't be so busy. 

• Like 15

15 minutes ago, travelnap said:

Sorry Copper10-8, but sorry doesn't cut it.  We have had a minus 50 wind chill the last two days with the interstates shut down across the state due to the ground blizzard.  40 to 50 mph winds with temps around -20 F.  But on the bright side it is warming up, we are up to a balmy -3 now.

Ouch; we have friends/my former boss residing in your state and this is their first winter in SD. They actually moved earlier this year from Kauai to South Dakota! Culture shock galore! Stay warm!

• Like 16

Good afternoon, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Happy Festivus Day, unless it’s a kids movie,  I don’t think here will be any marathons,  and I enjoy Pfeffernusse once in a while.

We spent a rather restless night, as I needed to make an important phone call first thing in the morning and didn’t want to sleep in.  Last evening as DH bit into a store bought puff pastry strudel, one of the 2 front teeth on his partial plate broke off, and it appears he may have swallowed it!  Not wanting to go toothless on our cruise in less than 2 weeks, I had to call the denturist for an emergency repair as soon as we get home.  Well, their office is closed today for an extended Christmas break, so what to do?  I reached out to his office on FB and got a reply within minutes . . . Yayyyy!  It now looks like we will cut our visit short one day, returning home on Boxing Day instead of the 27th, so DH can be at the clinic when they open at 8 AM.

@kochleffel Happy Birthday to you; it seems there are many of us Christmas time babies!

@grapau27, please wish your Sarah a very Happy Birthday as well!

@StLouisCruisersStay safe on the roads tomorrow.

The weather has been ugly cold for the past few days, but already we can feel it warming up, thank goodness!  Today’s high is -17, and tomorrow  is supposed to be +4.  Talk about a land of contrasts!  My heart goes out to everyone impacted by the storm; safety is paramount -stay home if you have to and make sure you’ve got enough to keep yourselves warm and fed.

Tonight DS and DDIL are going out for a delayed anniversary dinner, so DH and I will enjoy dinner with the grandsons.  They’ve already asked for pizza, so their wish is our command!  It’ll  be pizza and soda at the kitchen table with the grands tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, cheers to all the celebrations.   Be safe,stay well.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good afternoon, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Happy Festivus Day, unless it’s a kids movie,  I don’t think here will be any marathons,  and I enjoy Pfeffernusse once in a while.

We spent a rather restless night, as I needed to make an important phone call first thing in the morning and didn’t want to sleep in.  Last evening as DH bit into a store bought puff pastry strudel, one of the 2 front teeth on his partial plate broke off, and it appears he may have swallowed it!  Not wanting to go toothless on our cruise in less than 2 weeks, I had to call the denturist for an emergency repair as soon as we get home.  Well, their office is closed today for an extended Christmas break, so what to do?  I reached out to his office on FB and got a reply within minutes . . . Yayyyy!  It now looks like we will cut our visit short one day, returning home on Boxing Day instead of the 27th, so DH can be at the clinic when they open at 8 AM.

@kochleffel Happy Birthday to you; it seems there are many of us Christmas time babies!

The weather has been ugly cold for the past few days, but already we can feel it warming up, thank goodness!  Today’s high is -17, and tomorrow  is supposed to be +4.  Talk about a land of contrasts!  My heart goes out to everyone impacted by the storm; safety is paramount -stay home if you have to and make sure you’ve got enough to keep yourselves warm and fed.

Tonight DS and DDIL are going out for a delayed anniversary dinner, so DH and I will enjoy dinner with the grandsons.  They’ve already asked for pizza, so their wish is our command!  It’ll  be pizza and soda at the kitchen table with the grands tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, cheers to all the celebrations.   Be safe,stay well.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thanks Gerry!  Sorry to hear about the dental emergency.  Enjoy your time spent with the little ones tonight.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thank you Gerry.

Sorry to hear about your husbands front tooth and hopefully it is fixed on Tuesday.

Sounds like you have a super night planned tonight with your grandsons while your son and daughter in law have their delayed anniversary meal.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, 

First things first - I have water! I woke up yesterday morning to no water. My son's was frozen as well. He came over late morning and tried to get me going but there was a burst pipe at our pump house. I called the local place who has taken care of our well and they were out about 3 hours later which was much faster than I expected. They replaced the pipe but still no water. DS had a work event so couldn't come back over but I was fine (other than needing and wanting a shower). This morning DS came over and it only took a bit to thaw the one place it tends to freeze and I have water! I have flushed, run the water for quite a bit, made sure the hot water was good, and a shower may be in the near future as well as laundry. 

We are transitioning to rain. We got an inch or two of snow last night then freezing rain. We weren't as bad as Seattle from what I saw on the news but am glad I'm home. We're finally getting above freezing, it's raining and things are starting to thaw out. Hopefully I can get in to see DH tomorrow. 

Even with no water I baked a double batch of chocolate chip cookies yesterday  and a batch of gingersnaps today.Next up are lemon bars and @ger_77's butter tart slice. 

DH is coming home for the day on Christmas! I have transportation arranged (a bit pricey but so worth it). He'll be picked up at 9:30 AM and brought here. He'll be picked up at 6:30 PM to be taken back. I'm so grateful for a company that offers this service on a holiday. 

Now, off to do laundry, clean up the kitchen, and maybe have a shower! 

Karen

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, I'm glad the pies are done, but as a member of the Messy Baker Club, you're letting the standards slide.  🤣

I am so sorry!   I will make up for it tomorrow, I promise.  I did get stuff all over the counters and floor if that counts.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Wow, you got a lot done. Sounds delicious. I'm just making Spaetzle (German pasta) to go with the Sauerbraten. Tomorrow I'll prep the Red Cabbage, for cooking on Sunday. I'm trying to get what I can do ahead done, so Sunday won't be so busy. 

I generally start ahead of time.  Tomorrow I do the stuffing and set the table.  I used to do pies and stuffing on the same day, but those days are in the past.  Back when I did the pumpkin roll I learned my limits.  I do have to remember to take the pumpkin roll out of the freezer tomorrow.

34 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good afternoon, 

First things first - I have water! I woke up yesterday morning to no water. My son's was frozen as well. He came over late morning and tried to get me going but there was a burst pipe at our pump house. I called the local place who has taken care of our well and they were out about 3 hours later which was much faster than I expected. They replaced the pipe but still no water. DS had a work event so couldn't come back over but I was fine (other than needing and wanting a shower). This morning DS came over and it only took a bit to thaw the one place it tends to freeze and I have water! I have flushed, run the water for quite a bit, made sure the hot water was good, and a shower may be in the near future as well as laundry. 

What a great Christmas gift - WATER!   

Even with no water I baked a double batch of chocolate chip cookies yesterday  and a batch of gingersnaps today.Next up are lemon bars and @ger_77's butter tart slice. 

Wow!   I am impressed.

DH is coming home for the day on Christmas! I have transportation arranged (a bit pricey but so worth it). He'll be picked up at 9:30 AM and brought here. He'll be picked up at 6:30 PM to be taken back. I'm so grateful for a company that offers this service on a holiday. 

Karen

That is truly wonderful.  I hope your Christmas is truly merry.

• Like 15

For those of you not dealing with the snow storms...  think about how cartoons and drawings have little snow drifts in the corners of windows.  Mother Nature did that to most of the windows on the north, west and south side of my house today.  The wind was blowing too hard on the east side.  

Also, for those that aren't near  any of the international bridges on Lake Ontario and the bridge at Buffalo, they are all closed due to the weather.  They are calling it a blizzard due to the winds because there isn't a lot on the ground.  Lots of flights are delayed and cancelled. The news showed people at Pearson airport being interviewed. 

We haven't lost power but there are numerous reports of lines down.  We do have a nice cherry/apple and maple fire crackling away in the fireplace, so it's cozy in here and smells amazing!! Plus there are mincemeat tarts and "Chinese" chews on the counter.   There was flour and maraschino cherry juice and sugar on the counter earlier, but I don't have a picture. 

• Like 12

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Gerry and all the best to Maurice with his dental issue! "Puff pastry strudel" Who woulda taught!  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@4966and556  When you said :" There was flour and maraschino cherry juice and sugar on the counter earlier, but I don't have a picture. "  I was thinking you were describing something I would eat, not the mess on the counter.

@dfishI am assuming that having your sister home, might be the reason that your mess was much smaller.  When there are two or more working together, the work is easier....(except in the kitchen). lol.

• Like 9

Good evening all!  Turns out our family Christmas Eve won’t happen. DS’s SO’s DD (hope that makes sense!) is ill. They have canceled. I feel so bad for them because they have worked so hard and have so much food. And poor Amaya, being sick at Christmas, ughh. 

Travel safe and stay warm!

• Like 9

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, I'm sorry you have to cut your time short with the family, but great they could get your DH in to get his partial repaired so quickly.  Pizza night with the DGS should be a lot of fun.

3 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good afternoon, 

We are transitioning to rain. We got an inch or two of snow last night then freezing rain. We weren't as bad as Seattle from what I saw on the news but am glad I'm home. We're finally getting above freezing, it's raining and things are starting to thaw out. Hopefully I can get in to see DH tomorrow. 

Karen

Karen, That's good news you now have water.  Even better news is your DH will be able to be home for Christmas day.

2 hours ago, dfish said:

I am so sorry!   I will make up for it tomorrow, I promise.  I did get stuff all over the counters and floor if that counts.

I generally start ahead of time.  Tomorrow I do the stuffing and set the table.  I used to do pies and stuffing on the same day, but those days are in the past.  Back when I did the pumpkin roll I learned my limits.  I do have to remember to take the pumpkin roll out of the freezer tomorrow.

What a great Christmas gift - WATER!   

Wow!   I am impressed.

That is truly wonderful.  I hope your Christmas is truly merry.

Debbie, don't worry.  I'll be making a mess tomorrow when I make two pies and the crust for one to make Monday.  Tomorrow will also be house cleaning day, followed by the pie baking, and, no I'm not that crazy.  I'll save cleaning the kitchen until the pies are in the oven.

14 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good evening all!  Turns out our family Christmas Eve won’t happen. DS’s SO’s DD (hope that makes sense!) is ill. They have canceled. I feel so bad for them because they have worked so hard and have so much food. And poor Amaya, being sick at Christmas, ughh. 

Sharon, I'm sorry the Christmas Eve celebration had to canceled because Amaya is sick.  I hope she is better soon.

Lenda

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Sorry to hear that. With this weather system and these unknowns so many Holiday happenings being affected.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I'll also need to figure out how to prepare the Christmas dinner for Tuesday when DD and DSIL are here.  Everything cooks at a different temperature and time.  Somehow, it will all get done, and hopefully, at about the same time. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for reminding me of a great holiday memory (and giving me a needed giggle, too). At the holidays, my DM and her sister would bring all their electric heating pads to whichever home was hosting dinner. When the first round of food came out of the oven, they would wrap up those finished dishes in the heating pads to keep the food hot till the rest of dinner was ready. My holiday dinner table memories include fine linens, bone china, and heating pads (with a whiff of menthol and camphor on the side).

-Melisa

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

We made it well into Florida and met up with a good friend who had bought a house in the Villages.  Traffic was horrible but Waze kept us moving along. 

We had a complete tour of the area and of her new home.  A nice dinner in her neighborhood with a lot of wine.  We are happy we don't have a long drive tomorrow to south of Orlando. Christmas Eve dinner some place that doesn't close too early.  Another shore excursion cancelled HA decided Jamaica in place of Grand Cayman.  Probably too many ships in port. Not getting off in Jamaica. No prob just being on a cruise is wonderful.  Hope everyone had a wonderful day.  

• Like 10

Power still off, phone service has been out all day, and the internet went down for about an hour. The highway was closed most of the day, so glad we have had enough gas for the generator so far. Highway 2 reopened a few hours ago, so if it stays open and the power remains off (highly likely) a gas run to Gold Bar might be in my schedule tomorrow. The freezing rain over the compact snow and ice on the road could be the deciding factor on that trip. Very thankful for micro spikes I can put on any of my shoes and studded snow tires.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Sorry to hear this!  We share the same fate as three in our family are ill

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Sorry to hear this Sharon.

Sending you all our best wishes.

Graham.

Screenshot_20221224_110439.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4