cruise got cancelled because it was past final payment?

babycutie

I knew final payment was Dec 25th (for March 25th 2023 cruise).  I didn't care to call them to pay because they usually just charge the same credit card used for deposit.  I've been on 8 princess cruises and 7 cruises with other lines.  It was never a problem before.

Today I found an email dated Dec 28th that my cruise was cancelled.  Plus I was charged $100 for the cancellation.

I called Princess 3 hours ago, put my number in line for them to call back and still waiting.  In the meantime I talked to Princess Live Chat and they  told me I need to call the reservation line (the same line I called initially).

So here I am.  Has anyone got their cruise booking un-cancelled after final payment not met?

Edited by babycutie
  • Haha 2

If you're booking direct with Princess, they are not simply going to charge whatever card you used for the deposit. That does not happen and has never happen.

I don't know what other lines do, but Princess does not do that. Neither does NCL, fwiw.

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, babycutie said:

Ugh, maybe my old brain is not remembering correctly or I've been mainly booking with TA.  I just don't recall having to call in for final payment.  We'll see if they will reinstate my booking.

Wishing you good luck. 🤞, that everything works out for you.

Yes this is what happens if you don't pay at final payment. They don't keep credit card info. Even travel agents don't keep credit card on file and pay. Travel agent will send out a reminder a week before due date. It is up to you to make sure it gets paid. Sorry you didn't know that.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, coops said:

Yes this is what happens if you don't pay at final payment. They don't keep credit card info. Even travel agents don't keep credit card on file and pay. Travel agent will send out a reminder a week before due date. It is up to you to make sure it gets paid. Sorry you didn't know that.

My TA does keep my credit card on file. She won't make the final payment though without instruction from me. She contacts  me about ten days ahead to remind me. Then I tell her what date to put it through. 

• Like 6

My CVP enters my Visa card # to cover final payment on final payment date. However, she needs to get my # each time & asks for permission (even though I originated the call to her to request it). She has no way to hold my number anywhere

• Like 3

The first reservation agent I spoke to could not do anything to reinstate my booking.  The new booking would cost me another $600USD and I would also lose the $100 OBC.

He said there's nothing he can do.

So I decided to not rebook the cruise and just let it go.  However, I didn't think it's fair that they charged the $100 cancellation fee because they're the one who cancelled.  So I request to get that back in refund or some sort of future OBC.  Technically, final payment was due Dec 25th.  Cancellation penalty starts on Dec 26th.  If they didn't get my payment, everything should have been cancelled and therefore should have been $0 penalty.  So the agent transferred me over to customer service.

This customer service lady was very patient and understanding.  I simply told her about my situation and ignorance.  I didn't want to cancel and would like to pay for the cruise if she could reinstate the booking.  If that's not possible and since Princess cancelled my booking, I shouldn't have to pay the penalty fee.  I'm fine with future OBC as well in lieu of a refund.  She put me on hold for a long time but occasionally checks back to make sure I was there.  We even got disconnected at one point and she still called me back.  She was very helpful and such a gem.

Eventually she came back and was able to offer same price but without the $100 OBC.  I was happy to take it.

Lesson learned - don't assume the card for deposit will automatically be deducted for final payment.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've never had this happen because the big box requires my final payment two weeks ahead of the cruise line's final payment date - plus they send me email reminders.

I can only imagine the nightmare scenarios if Princess kept one's credit card numbers on file and automatically charged the card when final payment dates approach. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, babycutie said:

I knew final payment was Dec 25th (for March 25th 2023 cruise).  I didn't care to call them to pay because they usually just charge the same credit card used for deposit.  I've been on 8 princess cruises and 7 cruises with other lines.  It was never a problem before.

Today I found an email dated Dec 28th that my cruise was cancelled.  Plus I was charged $100 for the cancellation.

I called Princess 3 hours ago, put my number in line for them to call back and still waiting.  In the meantime I talked to Princess Live Chat and they  told me I need to call the reservation line (the same line I called initially).

So here I am.  Has anyone got their cruise booking un-cancelled after final payment not met?

Whenever I have booked with Princess they have asked specifically if I wanted to set up auto payment for the final payment.  As such I do not believe that they will charge your card unless you have authorized it when you initially made the booking.

3 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Whenever I have booked with Princess they have asked specifically if I wanted to set up auto payment for the final payment.  As such I do not believe that they will charge your card unless you have authorized it when you initially made the booking.

I have seen this also. 

12 minutes ago, babycutie said:

The first reservation agent I spoke to could not do anything to reinstate my booking.  The new booking would cost me another $600USD and I would also lose the $100 OBC.

So I decided to not rebook the cruise and just let it go.  However, I didn't think it's fair that they charged the $100 cancellation fee because they're the one who cancelled.  So I request to get that back in refund or some sort of future OBC.  Technically, final payment was due Dec 25th.  Cancellation penalty starts on Dec 26th.  If they didn't get my payment, everything should have been cancelled and therefore should have been $0 penalty.  So the agent transferred me over to customer service.

This customer service lady was very patient and understanding.  I simply told her about my situation and ignorance.  I didn't want to cancel and would like to pay for the cruise if she could reinstate the booking.  If that's not possible and since Princess cancelled my booking, I shouldn't have to pay the penalty fee.  I'm fine with future OBC as well in lieu of a refund.  She put me on hold for a long time but occasionally checks back to make sure I was there.  We even got disconnected at one point and she still called me back.  She was very helpful and such a gem.

Eventually she came back and was able to offer same price but without the $100 OBC.  I was happy to take it.

Lesson learned - don't assume the card for deposit will automatically be deducted for final payment.

Glad you are going on your trip! Glad someone was able to help you!!!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ldtr said:

This is exactly how it works, or how it can work, if you (or your TA, with your permission) authorizes it on the booking. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, babycutie said:

I knew final payment was Dec 25th (for March 25th 2023 cruise).  I didn't care to call them to pay because they usually just charge the same credit card used for deposit. 

That there is the problem. You need to authorize final payment. What you put down was a deposit. 

You can do this on your phone (not call anyone) electronically.

2 hours ago, babycutie said:

You keep saying Princess cancelled your cruise.  Yes they did after you cancelled by failing to make the final payment.  Sorry but itwas your responsibility to make that payment not theirs.

• Like 5

Princess used to have a “grace” period of five days after final payment is due but quite a few years ago, they eliminated that. Final payment is due the date they say and the system will automatically cancel the booking. It’s on every statement or invoice I’ve received. (My TA sends me the Princess invoice and then her invoice since she always saves me money.) 

Travel agents almost always ask their customers to authorize final payment 3-5 days before the Princess final payment date. That’s in case there’s a glitch, credit card error, charge doesn’t go through, error in giving the TA your credit card, etc. 

The bottom line is that there’s always a final payment date and the responsibility is always the passenger’s to authorize and make final payment on time. Doesn’t matter whether you book directly or with a TA. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Big thread about this same problem over on the Celebrity board. To reinstate the OP's cruise will cost thousands in more money, plus they will lose perks.  HERE

I came to this forum because I have a HAL cruise that I may cancel within the next week.  (Final is due 2/1, but my TA will charge me two weeks prior.  Coming up soon!)  Lookin at other cruise options, and Princess was recommended.  Been many, many years since DH and I have taken our one Princess cruise.  We loved it, but  have never booked another. 😯  We have mostly cruised with Celebrity, plus a few with other lines (44 in all).  However, both Celebrity and HAL have been getting bad raps, lately.  

Edited by Iamthesea