What to do with fixed dining time (5:30pm) but excursion get's you back more like 6:30pm?

Looking to try the Blue Lagoon Island excursion in Nassau this March.  We have fixed dining at 5:30pm.  The excursion starts at 1pm and is 5 hours duration.

Believe it or not after all our cruises we haven't run into a situation like this before, but I'm guessing we wouldn't be ready for dinner until 6:30pm or so.  What do we do in this situation?  Could we ask for a seat with My Time Dining that evening?  or could we still do our normal fixed table?

Dan

1 minute ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Looking to try the Blue Lagoon Island excursion in Nassau this March.  We have fixed dining at 5:30pm.  The excursion starts at 1pm and is 5 hours duration.

Believe it or not after all our cruises we haven't run into a situation like this before, but I'm guessing we wouldn't be ready for dinner until 6:30pm or so.  What do we do in this situation?  Could we ask for a seat with My Time Dining that evening?  or could we still do our normal fixed table?

Dan

Our dining times on Oasis was early traditional.  One of our ship's tours was to Disney World and the return trip was scheduled for 7:30-8+ PM.  We spoke to our Head Waiter, and he told us no problem.  Once we got back, we asked for him and were promptly accommodated in MTD dining room.

We also, could have gone to the WJ as it closed at 9PM.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Our dining times on Oasis was early traditional.  One of our ship's tours was to Disney World and the return trip was scheduled for 7:30-8+ PM.  We spoke to our Head Waiter, and he told us no problem.  Once we got back, we asked for him and were promptly accommodated in MTD dining room.

We also, could have gone to the WJ as it closed at 9PM.

Thanks!  We'll speak with the Head Waiter the night before.  We much prefer the MDR to the buffet for dinner, and don't want to fork out the $$$ for specialty that evening.

Dan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

WJ or Specialty  Dining Venue

I was going to say the same thing.  Consider that you'll be tired when you come back, yet you'll need a shower before you can go to dinner ... realistically, you're not going to be ready for dinner until maybe 8:00.  

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Thanks!  We'll speak with the Head Waiter the night before.  We much prefer the MDR to the buffet for dinner, and don't want to fork out the $$$ for specialty that evening.

I understand "much preferring", but this is one night out of the whole cruise, and going to the Windjammer is the obvious, realistic choice.  

If dinner is a genuine highlight, could you change your excursion to the morning ... or choose a different excursion?  The reality is that something has to give ... changing your dinner plans is the easiest compromise. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

🙃Snark:  Save $$$$ Skip the Blue Lagoon.  It's a pond with an overcrowded spit of sand. Snark.😛

Looking more into the Blue Lagoon reviews we've decided to abandon that excursion.  We'll find something that better suits our needs.  Might even walk/taxi over to Junkaroo and just grab chairs/umbrella/drinks at our leisure.

Why is it so hard to find something good to do in Nassau?

Dan

Fortunately we’ve only been there once back around 2015.  We did a mediocre, sail and snorkel excursion. For being one of the busiest, if not the busiest, cruise port in the Caribbean it’s pretty surprising to have so few good options there.  

We’ll be there twice in 2023.  There is no way I am going to complain about going on cruises, but I just wish Nassau had better offerings.

Edited by The Fun Researcher

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

@The Fun Researcher Not sure if you have been to Nassau before. It is,unfortunately, not a port with must see highlights. Hence, the difficulty in finding something to do there.

I suggest a day pass at the Hilton which is not too far from the cruise terminal.

Or you could take a short tour of the island.

MJ🙋🏻

Hilton closed down

3 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Not sure if you have been to Nassau before. It is,unfortunately, not a port with must see highlights

Are you kidding? Everybody needs to see the "Queen's Staircase" and the "Water Tower"!!!

Just kidding. Did that when we were young and naive. Now I realize you literally paid to see some steps and a municipal water tower.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

Disappointing to hear about the Hilton.

While the Hilton is no longer operational, I was able to find the following link and it's called "Serenety Beach Pass at British Colonial."  The price as shown is $25.30 per adult and includes lounger, umbrella and towels.

Nassau All Inclusive Resort Day Pass & Shore Excursions (resortforaday.com)

• Thanks 1

Go to ICELAND for the Blue Lagoon there!!

Or the SkyLagoon or the Myvatn Baths.  

Did the pricey, touristy BlueLagoon and the less pricey, less touristy more “with nature” Myvatn Baths.   So fun/relaxing/unique. Would repeat if given the chance!

3 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

We like to go over to Paradise Island for the day.  Play some slots, have a nice lunch, go shopping.

Nassau is also a great place to go scuba diving. Spent a week there a few years back, diving every day for 5 days. 

Same for me. Living in south Florida I have done a lot of diving there over many years. Last cruise trip I signed on with a private sailboat. There were only 6 other people. 5 hrs total. Good snorkeling and plenty of time under sail.

We just went to Nassau in December, and it was MUCH WORSE than when we went in past years.  We were one of five ships in port that day (okay, that did make it worse), and the crowds were unbelievable.  They are building a new ... I don't know -- port terminal?  and getting into the city felt genuinely unsafe.  Once in town, the salespeople screaming and the crowds were awful -- and I'm usually okay with those things.  

My husband and I agreed we will never get off the ship again in Nassau ... unless we're doing an excursion that doesn't take us into the city.  We noted that the boat to Blue Lagoon and the boat for Swimming with Pigs are inside the dock area; we'd be willing to do those.  Otherwise, we'll have a day on the ship.  

4 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

We like to go over to Paradise Island for the day.  Play some slots, have a nice lunch, go shopping.

Nassau is also a great place to go scuba diving. Spent a week there a few years back, diving every day for 5 days. 

Used to always take first-time visitors to Paradise Island. There's also a nice beach...and a massive aquarium inside the Atlantis......just have to walk past the slot machines.

Or, take a short taxi ride to Cable Beach.

8 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Dan

Going to miss your MD meal, happens, cant go 45-60min late. Done many Cruises over the yrs when couldnt get back til 7-10pm, even had one lasting til Midnite. Wind Jammer or Room Service, depending the ship it might be a good nite for one the other Restaurants...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Dan

I like a lot of people feel just do the WJ.  Trust me you will want a quick meal and back to your room.

with so many options, more and more folks do not go to the MDR every night.

the WJ for salad and perhaps a burger and or mexican food would be a nice way to end the day.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Looking more into the Blue Lagoon reviews we've decided to abandon that excursion.  We'll find something that better suits our needs.  Might even walk/taxi over to Junkaroo and just grab chairs/umbrella/drinks at our leisure.

Why is it so hard to find something good to do in Nassau?

Dan

I’ve heard good things about the new margaritaville resort there

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We just went to Nassau in December, and it was MUCH WORSE than when we went in past years.  We were one of five ships in port that day (okay, that did make it worse), and the crowds were unbelievable.  They are building a new ... I don't know -- port terminal?  and getting into the city felt genuinely unsafe.  Once in town, the salespeople screaming and the crowds were awful -- and I'm usually okay with those things.  

My husband and I agreed we will never get off the ship again in Nassau ... unless we're doing an excursion that doesn't take us into the city.  We noted that the boat to Blue Lagoon and the boat for Swimming with Pigs are inside the dock area; we'd be willing to do those.  Otherwise, we'll have a day on the ship.  

Isn’t that the new RC private area they’re building?