New to X!!

Michele035

Hi everyone my husband and I are off on our first Celebrity cruise in March on the Beyond!  We are super excited. I am Diamond Plus on RCCL and cruised also NCL, Princess as well as Holland America.  We are very excited since this is our first cruise in 3 years and decided to go for the gold (you only live once !) and booked the Retreat for 7 days out of Port Canaveral.  I have 2 questions I hope you seasoned vets can helpme with. 

First: Our TA told us that in Luminae we could order from ANY of the menus on the ship.  I was excited about that because on NCL in the Haven it was the same menu and after a few days there weren't any options left. For the $ we spend I can't see going to a specialty restaurant everynight or even a few nights.  I am seeing now here that it looks like for 2023 you cannot?  Can anyone clarify?  My TA is swearing we can.

Second:  Dress code.  I am seeing mixed on that too.  Is there one "chic" night on the 7 days?  Do I understand that nice jeans/khakis for men with a polo or button down would suffice? Do they have to wear jackets or is that an option?  

thank you all so much!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Michele035 said:

Hi everyone my husband and I are off on our first Celebrity cruise in March on the Beyond!  We are super excited. I am Diamond Plus on RCCL and cruised also NCL, Princess as well as Holland America.  We are very excited since this is our first cruise in 3 years and decided to go for the gold (you only live once !) and booked the Retreat for 7 days out of Port Canaveral.  I have 2 questions I hope you seasoned vets can helpme with. 

First: Our TA told us that in Luminae we could order from ANY of the menus on the ship.  I was excited about that because on NCL in the Haven it was the same menu and after a few days there weren't any options left. For the $ we spend I can't see going to a specialty restaurant everynight or even a few nights.  I am seeing now here that it looks like for 2023 you cannot?  Can anyone clarify?  My TA is swearing we can.

Second:  Dress code.  I am seeing mixed on that too.  Is there one "chic" night on the 7 days?  Do I understand that nice jeans/khakis for men with a polo or button down would suffice? Do they have to wear jackets or is that an option?  

thank you all so much!

Our TA told us that in Luminae we could order from ANY of the menus on the ship.  This is not accurate, there is too much distance between the kitchens.

Dress code.  I am seeing mixed on that too.  Is there one "chic" night on the 7 days?  Do I understand that nice jeans/khakis for men with a polo or button down would suffice?  This will be perfectly fine.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

We have only booked a suite once, so I am not familiar with the current rules.  I do know that you don't need a jacket/tie like the old days.  Khakis and casual shirt should be fine should be fine.

There are 2 chic nights on a 7 day cruise.

Since you are Diamond + on RCCL, you will qualify for Elite on Celebrity but you have to ask for this.  Maybe the Captains Club host can help you with this.

• Like 1

Your TA is partially right.   

On the Edge class It is very difficult for the server to obtain anything from  the other restaurants so they don’t do it.  

As a Retreat guest you have the option to dine in Blu and the other MDRs by making arrangements  therefore you can order off of those menus but you have to  be in that dining room.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

No, you can't order from any menu from any restaurant onboard.   Your TA thinks that you can order the Tomahawk ribeye from Fine Cuts and somebody is going to run and get it for you?   Not happening.  You used to be able to order things from the MDR and BLU but some are saying that is no longer the case on Beyond due to the kitchen locations.    

There essentially is no dress code beyond no shorts or t-shirts.   I doubt there will be any ties, a few men might wear a sport coat over a polo.  

Edited by CruiseRQA
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Michele035 said:

My understanding is that chic nights are for the main dining rooms and not Blu or Luminae.   Dined in both and never saw any of the passengers dining in these venues dress up as some passengers in the MDR do.  My husband has worn a sport jacket maybe once (not necessary and never again) and I have worn dress pants, capris, or a casual dress. 

Our experience in Luminae has only been on the Reflection.  Not once did we see the need to order from the MDR (we loved the menu) especially on a one week cruise.   

As you will see, many differing opinions but you will love Celebrity.     

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mimiya11 said:

My understanding is that chic nights are for the main dining rooms and not Blu or Luminae.   Dined in both and never saw any of the passengers dining in these venues dress up as some passengers in the MDR do.  My husband has worn a sport jacket maybe once (not necessary and never again) and I have worn dress pants, capris, or a casual dress. 

Our experience in Luminae has only been on the Reflection.  Not once did we see the need to order from the MDR (we loved the menu) especially on a one week cruise.   

As you will see, many differing opinions but you will love Celebrity.     

Not being able to order from MDR’s when dining in Luminae is not an opinion, it’s fact.

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Not being able to order from MDR’s when dining in Luminae is not an opinion, it’s fact.

It's one of the many flaws of the E class ships.  We're are just off the Retreat on Equinox, and we had our choice of the MDR or Luminae menu every night.  Not Blu however, as it's two decks above Luminae.  On M class, you can get all three menus. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

It is a fact on the ship she's sailing on.  It is possible on other ships.

P.S.  You may wish to look for another TA.  One who swears that something which is completely false is true could be a problem.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Perhaps it’s a fact on some ships, not all. We ordered from the MDR menu in Luminae on both Solstice and Silhouette. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

They didn’t ask about other ships, they specifically said Beyond 

That's why we specified that it is not possible on Beyond.  Believe it or not, people who sail on ships other than Beyond will be reading this thread.  I think the distinction is important to make.

• Like 6

It is the E class ships where the Luminae kitchen and the MDR kitchens are very far apart.  On the M & S class ships Luminaes kitchen in the same area as the MDR kitchen.

That being said we have been on all 3 E class and while we could not order from the MDR menu,  Luminae has some popular MDR items that, while not on the menu are available.  The ones that come to mind are shrimp cocktail, French onion soup, Cesar salad, mashed potatoes,  chicken and salmon. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

We are also doing our first X cruise in the retreat

I have read that the Luminae menu changes every day so no worries about boredom!

well that is great news! it was the same every night when we were on the NCL Haven.. thank you!

• Like 1

@Michele035:  The Luminae breakfast menu will be the same every day, but it is large enough that isn't an issue.  Both lunch (on port days) and dinners have a fourteen day menu rotation, plus some everyday items as mentioned by jelayne.  

Make sure that you obtain a X Captain's Club account.  RC and X don't combine loyalty points, but do recognize (up to a point) their sister line loyalty status.  I can never remember what RC Diamond Plus converts to on X.  Someone else will chime in with the correct answer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

With all do respect Does any CC poster that post their trip reports on CC..Ever just have a regular Cabin?😁

Just guess i am going to have to win Powerball...The things you have to do in this life😜

There are so many that book regular, non-suite cabins, but part of this thread pertains to suite life-Luminae.  It is pure opportunity cost as to choice of cabin, length of cruise and itinerary; however, winning the Powerball would bring all sorts of issues, but then you would most likely have your own ship.  Good Luck!🤑

Edited by Lastdance

5 hours ago, Michele035 said:

thank you all so much!

We are on the Beyond in a few weeks and looking forward to cruising on this ship. Just one correction on your post.......all sailings in the US are out of Port Everglades which is in Ft. Lauderdale. Have a great time

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

@Michele035:  The Luminae breakfast menu will be the same every day, but it is large enough that isn't an issue.  Both lunch (on port days) and dinners have a fourteen day menu rotation, plus some everyday items as mentioned by jelayne.  

Is Beyond different than Edge and other Celebrity ships in that Luminae is open on port days?  We've only had lunch in Luminae offered on Sea days.  On days the ship is in port, lunch from a limited menu is available on the Retreat Sundeck but has not been available in Luminae. 

7 hours ago, Michele035 said:

Hi everyone my husband and I are off on our first Celebrity cruise in March on the Beyond!  We are super excited. I am Diamond Plus on RCCL and cruised also NCL, Princess as well as Holland America. 

Create an account for you and your husband on the Celebrity website.  Once you have done that, download and install the Celebrity App on your smart phones.  The Celebrity App is a good way to view what's available on your ship, including the beverages offered in each of the dining venue's breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu's, shipboard entertainment, and once you are onboard, the daily planner/schedule.   Just be forewarned that leading up to your sail date, some of the information in the app may not be 100% accurate.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Make sure that you obtain a X Captain's Club account.  RC and X don't combine loyalty points, but do recognize (up to a point) their sister line loyalty status.  I can never remember what RC Diamond Plus converts to on X.  Someone else will chime in with the correct answer.

Elite.

• Like 1