Strange Bar Closings on Equinox Today in Grand Cayman

helen haywood

1 hour ago, jwlane said:

This was September 1 in Victoria, BC. Who knows the rhyme or reason about local laws?

16737319923417536133617841424674.jpg

Maybe they thought they were in Grand Canada instead of Grand Cayman? 

mac_tlc

• Haha 4

It has been a policy in the past, but not really enforced. Grand Cayman has started enforcing the policy (heavy restrictions on selling alcohol). The policy and the negative reaction to it disincentivizes Celebrity from making future stops in Grand Cayman.

This will be the situation (limited alcohol availability in port) for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cw2go said:

I also did a search and can't find anything. This is quite the mystery! 🤔

Celebrity sells Beverage Packages and shut downs the bars in an anchored port?

We sail to GC next month and plan to spend our day on board, hope this is temporary. 

Patty 

Same for us. On Beyond in a couple weeks and do not plan on getting off the ship in GC. 
ac_tlc

• Like 1

While I have no knowledge of the regulations, it also may be someone at Celebrity Cruise screwed up.     We had that happen on in NYC

We were on a TA - Beaches to Broadway with an overnight in NYC.   First time I've ever berthed in Manhattan before.    Someone at Celebrity screwed up and got the wrong License / Permit and they had to close all the bars for the full two days we were there -  including Retreat.    They could only sell and serve Beer and Wine at one bar, Retreat and dining rooms.

3 hours ago, helen haywood said:

We've sailed X and other lines countless times to Grand Cayman.  Yesterday's Daily Program had this announcement:  Bar Service In Grand Cayman  Please be advised that due to local regulations our onboard bars would be operating under limited capacity while at anchor.  In today's Daily Program it noted:  Please be advised that due to local laws and customs regulations our onboard bars would be operating under limited capacity while at anchor.  Pool Bar, Deck 12 will remain availible (sic) for alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks.  All onboard bars will reopen upon our departure.  The program in fact listed Cafe al Bacio as only opening at 4 pm (our departure time.)

As it turned out, the Oceanview Bar inside the OV was open at regular morning hours but only served nonalcoholic drinks.  Ditto Cafe al Bacio.  But the Pool Bar was the only bar on the whole ship (I cannot speak to the Retreat) that was open for alcoholic drinks.  While they did staff the Pool Bar with extra bartenders it still resulted in quite long lines as one can imagine.

Can someone point me to where I could find these "local laws and customs regulations" that state a cruise ship many only have ONE bar serving alcoholic beverages while at Grand Cayman?

Have had Grand Caymen as a tender port on numerous occasions and ever encountered this until our Reflection cruise last week. Guess the island is trying to make everyone disembark and drink their over priced alcohol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We will be in GC in June on the Equinox. Hopefully the Retreat Lounge will be open. I wonder if the restrictions have to do with GC requiring collection of taxes on drinks served while in their waters? I know while in a Spanish port we had to pay a VAT tax for drinks and any items bought in the ship's stores. That happened to us in Barcelona and it showed up on our sail pass account.

We were in the Retreat on Reflection a week ago.  Went to lunch at Sushi on 5 and ordered beer and wine. NOPE, no go. We, as well as another table inquired.  The staff checked and confirmed, only the Pool bar open.  Headed to Michaels club after lunch, totally shut down although they did have the cooler with beer available. I hate beer and was tempted to go behind the bar to pour a glass of wine.  Cooler heads prevailed and we went back to our suite to open the Dom I was saving for packing day. Will definitely plan ahead on future cruises.  I knew there was a reason we did not like GC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We will be in GC in June on the Equinox. Hopefully the Retreat Lounge will be open. I wonder if the restrictions have to do with GC requiring collection of taxes on drinks served while in their waters? I know while in a Spanish port we had to pay a VAT tax for drinks and any items bought in the ship's stores. That happened to us in Barcelona and it showed up on our sail pass account.

Same thing in Fort Lauderdale.   Bars are open but sales tax was added to drink prices.

13 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We were in the Retreat on Reflection a week ago.  Went to lunch at Sushi on 5 and ordered beer and wine. NOPE, no go. We, as well as another table inquired.  The staff checked and confirmed, only the Pool bar open.  Headed to Michaels club after lunch, totally shut down although they did have the cooler with beer available. I hate beer and was tempted to go behind the bar to pour a glass of wine.  Cooler heads prevailed and we went back to our suite to open the Dom I was saving for packing day. Will definitely plan ahead on future cruises.  I knew there was a reason we did not like GC.

I will have our butler bring a bottle of red and white wine to our SS the day before we get to GC. Just in case.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I will have our butler bring a bottle of red and white wine to our SS the day before we get to GC. Just in case.

Great idea. I wish we had known then but know for the future.  I don't think our next 3 cruises include GC which is fine by me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Great idea. I wish we had known then but know for the future.  I don't think our next 3 cruises include GC which is fine by me.

GC and private islands are two stops we are not thrilled about. We will probably go ashore on GC since we are taking our 12-year-old granddaughter with us for her first cruise, and she wants to either swim with the sea turtles or sting rays. 

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

GC and private islands are two stops we are not thrilled about. We will probably go ashore on GC since we are taking our 12-year-old granddaughter with us for her first cruise, and she wants to either swim with the sea turtles or sting rays. 

We did the sting rays.  I think she would enjoy it.  And I love GC.  She would also like the turtle farm where she can hold a turtle.  We have also done Atlantis there which is kind of cool seeing what's under the sea.

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

OK, to report back, to begin with, the Daily Program was totally misleading and inaccurate, which is inexcusable.  It stated that Cafe al Bacio would not open until 4 pm when we'd departed Grand Cayman.  No, it was open at the usual hour, but only serving non-alcoholic beverages.  And I later heard that our friends were able to order wine in the Oceanview Cafe with their lunch.  So it seems that the Pool Bar was the only bar serving hard liquor but at lunch the Oceanview was able to serve wine, and I presume beer.  I'm reading that this happened on Reflection as well, albeit with some differences.  I still have not heard any definitive accounts that this is a Grand Cayman rule or law or regulation.  When I get home I plan to ask on other cruise line boards if any other line had this occur at Grand Cayman.

• Thanks 2

Thanks @helen haywood - I've warned everyone on our upcoming Equinox roll call.

I had thought maybe we'd get off on Grand Cayman and wander around but in protest won't be doing that.

I don't like being manipulated and that's how I see this.

I'll get a couple of drinks the day before and store them in the cabin fridge for my sea day anchored off GC.

22 hours ago, jwlane said:

This was September 1 in Victoria, BC. Who knows the rhyme or reason about local laws?

16737319923417536133617841424674.jpg

We were in Victoria on a cruise in September.  I don’t recall any closures of bars.  We stayed overnight.  Strangely on the first day at 5 pm, we had to leave the dock and go out of port.  Sat at anchor overnight close to shore.  There were no tenders. Next morning, we docked again.  The shuttle bus was free. We were on Windstar.