The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday February 3rd, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is Bubble Gum Day, Feed the Birds Day, and The Day the Music Died - Buddy Holly, Richie Valen

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.--Thomas A. Edison

Meal Suggestion for today - Salmon Tartare with Herbs, Lemon, and, Cucumber
Drink of the Day - Pina Colada
Wine of the Day - Beringer Cabernet Sauvignon Knights Valley, Sonoma County, California
Destination of the Day - San Francisco, California

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 2-05

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Nawiliwili, Lihue, Kauai Island, Hawaii eta 2-06

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 2-04

Nieuw Statendam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:30

Oosterdam

Buenos Aires, Argentina - 18:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 2-04

Volendam

At Sea Destination Port Stanley, East Falkland Island eta 2-06

Zaandam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Fiordland National Park, New Zealand

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Phuket, Thailand eta 2/5

Zuiderdam

Gisborne, New Zealand 08:00 - 15:00

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL75Rh4Ww3SkU2zv_n0OqRiVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1675418970

Volendam at tip of Antactica peninsula00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKkGX6jKbfmJpmjAs2Ty2Dv5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1675419175

Caribbean HAL ships

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKB_eLI9ikdBk_2Q7vfWRoBKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1675419175

Sandi for Roy and Rich

• Like 24
  • Thanks 15

Today's Care and Celebration lists.

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering at home but still weak

Jacqui still with splint on problem elbow

Luvteaching DH in hospital making progress
Sarah still feeling under the weather

Heartgrove’s DW and DSIL positive with Covid

From the rotation:

HAL Sailer DSIL in final days and family squabbles

Marshhawk DH eye issues

Status of Scrapnana
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Cruising-along’s mouth healing

Aliaschief in Cancun until 2/14?
Redneck Bob in Houston for DGS wedding

2 days for Dobiemom (Norwegian Encore 2/5 to 2/12)
1 day for 0106 (Rotterdam 2/4 to 2/15)

4 days for Cruzin Terri (Oceania Sirena 2/7 to 2/19)

4 days for Norseh2o (Oceania Marina 2/7 to 4/6)

Kochleffel (Norwegian Getaway to 2/6), Cruising sister (Disney Dream to 2/4), Lindaler and Ottahand7 (Volendam  to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

• Like 21
  • Thanks 13

Good morning friends!  Same as yesterday I hear rain drops hitting the window behind me.  This should stop after an hour or so and then we will see sunshine around 9 am and for the remainder of the day.  It's about 42F and will only reach a high of about 50 today.

Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor working hard to prepare all the Daily information for us ahead of his World Cruise.  Today is bubble gum day but I haven't had any bubble gum in many years.  It was fun when we were kids to chew it.  We'd collect bottles and return them to our local mom and pop store to buy candy. Also feed the birds day.  That's a good one for Annie @marshhawkand Joy @Seasick Sailor.  The day the music died was a sad one for music fans.  RIP Buddy Holly and Richie Valen.  I like the Edison quote.  No thank you to the salmon dish, but I'll take a pina colada.  DH enjoys a Cabernet Sauvignon but not me. 

The port today is San Francisco.  We had that last June 22 and I'll copy Rich's @richwmn's Daily post below for you all.  Apparently that was the day I was sprung from Covid jail on the Island Princess!  Since I didn't have access to my photos on the ship I didn't post any.  We had disembarked in San Francisco in 2012 on Star Princess after our Rio de Janeiro to San Francisco cruise and disembarkation was a real disaster there.  It took so long to get off the ship many people missed their flights!  I had a shuttle reserved for us and a few other people to get to the airport and the police would try to stop it, and others like it from pulling up to the curb to pick up passengers.  When he finally did pull up people tried to hijack him to take them to the airport and we had to fight them off (not literally).  It made me never want to disembark there ever again!  We lived an hour outside S.F. for four years at one point and used to travel into the city for entertainment and to show our family the sights.  Those were the good old days when it was a fit place to walk around.  Not anymore I'm sad to say!

Prayers today for all on the Care list.  I hope there will be major improvement soon for you all.  I hope Roy is sleeping away right now but somehow I doubt it.  🙂  Three cheers to everyone on the Celebration list.  Good luck in your travels everyone and hope the cruises are wonderful.  Next Friday we will be on the road to Fort Lauderdale so I hope it's a nice day and everyone behaves themselves on the roads.

Rich's post.  

I guess DS and Ren along with Colton and Dad made it home safely last night.  I texted at boarding time and he said Colton and Dad were still in the security line after 90 minutes.  It must have been a zoo there in Dallas.  They finally arrived and boarded just before the doors closed.  Hopefully they held flights a few minutes for all of the people being delayed by security.   The weather should be warmer there today now that DS has left!  

Have a great day everybody!  I'm on time for my usual treadmill routine so off I go.🏃‍♀️

• Like 35

Good Morning Everyone, @StLouisCruisers thank you for today’s reports.  I’ll will pass on today’s meal suggestion.  I’m not sure what’s for dinner yet but will find something from the freezer.  Best wishes to everyone on the cares list.  I’m not planning on leaving the house today.  Our temperatures will be dropping all day and the real temperature is expected to go to -5F with wind chills going to -30 F.

image.thumb.png.04351d4783fcd0c7df5a3123e2638972.png

• Like 22
  • Haha 17

Good Friday morning from Hope Bay on the Antarctic Peninsula.  I doubt there will be any scenic cruising in here today. 90 mph winds and such that on port side we walk in the cabin door and all we see is water. No sky the ship is listing so much.  The sun is trying to break through.  Captain just said stay inside. Getting to see the real Antarctic.  Tabular icebergs. We missed our last bay yesterday due to ice and high winds. 

Thanks for starting us off each day Sandi and prayers for all on our Care list and the people of Ukraine.  Prayers for Roy, Jacqui, Kathi and Tana.  Have a great day. We have a small break with internet service. Photos from Errera Channel yesterday.

Second photo on left looks like the Rock of Gibraltar. 

IMG_20230202_133414253_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230202_125823418.jpg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 4

Sandi, thank you for getting us started with today’s Report & Daily. Up super early for my annual wellness visit. Then a gym class, Bindi walks and chores. 

B12317D1-E91E-4225-9372-AC5E62FE16C7.jpeg.3278ec2a181e2733dc280a631cd9f05d.jpeg

F0F04BB0-8898-4115-919E-2F100A1839F7.jpeg.5b6f10d63ba167a2893204dc8e2829fe.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support, especially Roy, Jacqui, Sarah, Tana and Kathi. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Get well & stay well everyone!

Beringer Cabernet Sauvignon Knights Valley, Sonoma County, California

I used the 2019 vintage information, since it is most likely the easiest to find, but all released vintages share the same excellent ratings. It sounds lovely and is reasonably priced. Numerous distributors with prices starting at $19.98.

Winemaker Notes

This crowd-pleasing Cabernet Sauvignon is a beautiful Bordeaux blend, with soft, round tannins and a plush, rich mouthfeel. Built to age and develop further complexity, the wine in its youth is ripe and juicy up front with aromas of fresh boysenberry, blackberry, and cassis, alongside dark berry fruit notes of fig, black cherry cola, and currants. The warm baking spice notes from the oak integration work well with the more traditional Knights Valley tones of lavender, wild sage, and mocha. Lively and well-balanced with vibrant acidity, chewy tannins, and a long, smooth, satisfying finish.

Blend: 87% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Merlot, 2% Cabernet Franc, 2% Malbec, 1% Petit Verdot

JS94 James Suckling

This is really focused, with brightness to the sweet tobacco and berries. Medium-bodied with bright acidity, finesse and drink ability. Very fine. Ripe-currant center-palate. 87% cabernet sauvignon, 8% merlot, 2% cabernet franc, 2% malbec and 1% petit verdot. Drink or hold.

W&S92 Wine & Spirits

This grows at Beringer’s 600-acre Knight’s Valley ranch, in the hills west of Calistoga, where the harvest in 2019 extended from mid- to late October. The wine sustains the cool elegance this vineyard can give to Cabernet, a supple, high-elevation wine with gentle ripeness, lasting on notes of tarragon and fresh garden herbs. Best buy.

RP90 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
There were more than 160,000 cases of the 2019 Cabernet Sauvignon Knights Valley produced, so it's good to see that it is performing well. There's an attractive floral top note that adds a touch of complexity to the cassis fruit, while the medium to full-bodied palate is silky and even elegant. It's a better wine—and far better value—than many entry-level wines sourced from Napa Valley.
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 11

Hola! Just getting up awaiting coffee before, at  least the morning, lounging by the pool. Afternoon may bring some rain.

We had a relaxing day yesterday and Sue cooked a delicious dinner which we enjoyed on our balcony. Saw a couple of cruise ships sailing by after probably a day in Cozumel. No tours or excursions planned this trip as over the years of coming here, we have pretty much seen it all.

Thanks Sandi for your volunteerism and getting the Daily started.

We are enjoying our Blessed life! Have a great Friday.

Bruce

image.jpeg.1d680454188eb0aa08ffe7e39b202d3e.jpegimage.jpeg.3a147b072ca43d967323d516965a3f2f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6180e6e4bb3ea9ea12e60e37be2462c4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a612d6eeecb7a0602f57dfc133fcbda7.jpegimage.jpeg.b62335915e01bef56c25e3fdf4f5a0e7.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Haha 18

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Very cold and windy here this morning.  We've got snow squalls.  It's -20°C (-4°F), that's without the wind chill factor.  Bertie and I will have a short walk today.

I haven't had bubble gum in years.  RIP Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper.  Great music.

Great quote.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink, but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Stay safe.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  Probably should feed the birds, temps are dropping today and we’ll be in a freezer tomorrow!  What a weekend for my sister and her daughter to come visit from Royal Oak, MI, at least they’ll be used to it. Think I’ll pass on the meal and drink today, it’s slow cooker chili tonight. I like the quote, a good lesson in tenacity.  Today’s port is a lovely place to visit, so much variety and natural beauty.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to those celebrating happy events like leaving for a cruise!

• Like 27

We are leaving Hope Bay and back into the open sea.  More waves less wind. Our guide said we were experiencing something people rarely do with 90 mph winds without corresponding waves. He said in 30 years never has  he  seen winds like this so near shore.  Another commendation to Captain Arno. 

We did a turn to put the wind on the port side so three times the captain warned everyone to sit down prior to the maneuver.  Photos maybe when internet gets better. 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Happy Friday Morning Dailyites!  For my friends in the north east, and Canada, and West of us, please stay in and warm today!  Just north of @StLouisCruisers, it's 38 degrees.  Still cloudy, I can no longer hear rain.

@ottahand7 What an adventure you are having on this cruise, thank you for the pictures, and telling us about the weather, wind and water, and your very good Captain. 

We are up early because we have to take Neko back to the vets for her follow up.  Ever since her big adventure to the vets, she has been happily exploring the den, and hall and kitchen again.  She hasn't been out of the office, for more than a year.  We think that she snapped out of her fear of the world after we took her to get gas and smokes at  Quik Trip.  Usually a trip to the vets is there and back, but we had errands to run, so she got an extra ride.  Thing is, Irving moved onto her bench seat (where I sit and work) and she feels displaced.  But happy about it.

ae29d79a615e6ffa8256e9f91494d81d.jpg

269beab380a7441e5d3a8ccb0dbb1fc2.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning from a foggy and dismal Florida.  Due to get wind chills later this weekend, but nothing like our DD is NH.  -42 below.  Yikes.

Have been to San Francisco but not on a ship.

Just got notification from HAL. Our tour operator has advised the Tour Name: Pearl Harbor, Honolulu & the Mighty Mo, Honolulu has been modified to state that we are not guaranteeing the tickets to the USS Arizona Memorial any longer. Very disappointed!! 

Pina Colada cocktail:

As the story goes, the Piña Colada debuted in 1952, when it was first mixed by Ramon Marrero Perez, the head barman at the Caribe Hilton in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. Perez had blended up a winner, and the tropical drink enjoyed its place in the sun for decades, finding its way to American shores and faraway isles. However, the quality took a nose dive around the 1970s when barkeeps began making Piña Coladas with cheap, bottled mixers and serving them in comically large glasses.

Fortunately, the drink has enjoyed a renaissance in recent years, as craft-focused bartenders reclaimed the original recipe, once again focusing on solid ingredients and proper proportions. Some also opted to sub shaker tins for the traditional blender, creating a lighter, less-icy cocktail.

Ingredients
2 ounces light rum
1 1/2 ounces cream of coconut
1 1/2 ounces pineapple juice
1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
Garnish: pineapple wedge
Garnish: pineapple leaf

Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 7.37.56 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

Good Friday morning from Hope Bay on the Antarctic Peninsula.  I doubt there will be any scenic cruising in here today. 90 mph winds and such that on port side we walk in the cabin door and all we see is water. No sky the ship is listing so much.  The sun is trying to break through.  Captain just said stay inside. Getting to see the real Antarctic.  Tabular icebergs. We missed our last bay yesterday due to ice and high winds. 

Thanks for starting us off each day Sandi and prayers for all on our Care list and the people of Ukraine.  Prayers for Roy, Jacqui, Kathi and Tana.  Have a great day. We have a small break with internet service. Photos from Errera Channel yesterday.

Second photo on left looks like the Rock of Gibraltar. 

IMG_20230202_133414253_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230202_125823418.jpg

Nancy I'm sorry the weather hasn't been better for some parts of your Antarctica adventure.  Looks like a ship there by the ice in the second photo.  Do you remember which ship it was?  I'm thinking our first time in Antarctica will never be beat as to weather conditions so I should stay away and not be disappointed.  First time was on Seabourn.  The second time was on Princess and weather wasn't quite as good plus we didn't spend enough time in different places.  I'm hoping  the remainder of your cruise is safe and with great weather!

58 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Sandi, thank you for getting us started with today’s Report & Daily. Up super early for my annual wellness visit. Then a gym class, Bindi walks and chores. 

B12317D1-E91E-4225-9372-AC5E62FE16C7.jpeg.3278ec2a181e2733dc280a631cd9f05d.jpeg

F0F04BB0-8898-4115-919E-2F100A1839F7.jpeg.5b6f10d63ba167a2893204dc8e2829fe.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support, especially Roy, Jacqui, Sarah, Tana and Kathi. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Get well & stay well everyone!

Beringer Cabernet Sauvignon Knights Valley, Sonoma County, California

I used the 2019 vintage information, since it is most likely the easiest to find, but all released vintages share the same excellent ratings. It sounds lovely and is reasonably priced. Numerous distributors with prices starting at $19.98.

Winemaker Notes

This crowd-pleasing Cabernet Sauvignon is a beautiful Bordeaux blend, with soft, round tannins and a plush, rich mouthfeel. Built to age and develop further complexity, the wine in its youth is ripe and juicy up front with aromas of fresh boysenberry, blackberry, and cassis, alongside dark berry fruit notes of fig, black cherry cola, and currants. The warm baking spice notes from the oak integration work well with the more traditional Knights Valley tones of lavender, wild sage, and mocha. Lively and well-balanced with vibrant acidity, chewy tannins, and a long, smooth, satisfying finish.

Blend: 87% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Merlot, 2% Cabernet Franc, 2% Malbec, 1% Petit Verdot

JS94 James Suckling

This is really focused, with brightness to the sweet tobacco and berries. Medium-bodied with bright acidity, finesse and drink ability. Very fine. Ripe-currant center-palate. 87% cabernet sauvignon, 8% merlot, 2% cabernet franc, 2% malbec and 1% petit verdot. Drink or hold.

W&S92 Wine & Spirits

This grows at Beringer’s 600-acre Knight’s Valley ranch, in the hills west of Calistoga, where the harvest in 2019 extended from mid- to late October. The wine sustains the cool elegance this vineyard can give to Cabernet, a supple, high-elevation wine with gentle ripeness, lasting on notes of tarragon and fresh garden herbs. Best buy.

RP90 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
There were more than 160,000 cases of the 2019 Cabernet Sauvignon Knights Valley produced, so it's good to see that it is performing well. There's an attractive floral top note that adds a touch of complexity to the cassis fruit, while the medium to full-bodied palate is silky and even elegant. It's a better wine—and far better value—than many entry-level wines sourced from Napa Valley.

Ann, good luck at your wellness exam.  I hope everything is perfect.

51 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Hola! Just getting up awaiting coffee before, at  least the morning, lounging by the pool. Afternoon may bring some rain.

We had a relaxing day yesterday and Sue cooked a delicious dinner which we enjoyed on our balcony. Saw a couple of cruise ships sailing by after probably a day in Cozumel. No tours or excursions planned this trip as over the years of coming here, we have pretty much seen it all.

Thanks Sandi for your volunteerism and getting the Daily started.

We are enjoying our Blessed life! Have a great Friday.

Bruce

image.jpeg.1d680454188eb0aa08ffe7e39b202d3e.jpegimage.jpeg.3a147b072ca43d967323d516965a3f2f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6180e6e4bb3ea9ea12e60e37be2462c4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a612d6eeecb7a0602f57dfc133fcbda7.jpegimage.jpeg.b62335915e01bef56c25e3fdf4f5a0e7.jpeg

Bruce, great memes today.  Hey, you will still be in Cancun on the 13th won't you?  Look for Sky Princess leaving Cozumel around 5 pm.  I'll wave!

10 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning to all,  

Our last sea day and everyone up early to see the sunrise. Prayers and well wishes to everyone. 

BC403A79-AAFE-4CE8-B5CF-7E3B7C3BDEC1.jpeg

What a beautiful sunrise!  I hope you and the family have had a wonderful time on your Disney cruise.  Did you enjoy Castaway Cay?  

6 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Happy Friday Morning Dailyites!  For my friends in the north east, and Canada, and West of us, please stay in and warm today!  Just north of @StLouisCruisers, it's 38 degrees.  Still cloudy, I can no longer hear rain.

@ottahand7 What an adventure you are having on this cruise, thank you for the pictures, and telling us about the weather, wind and water, and your very good Captain. 

We are up early because we have to take Neko back to the vets for her follow up.  Ever since her big adventure to the vets, she has been happily exploring the den, and hall and kitchen again.  She hasn't been out of the office, for more than a year.  We think that she snapped out of her fear of the world after we took her to get gas and smokes at  Quik Trip.  Usually a trip to the vets is there and back, but we had errands to run, so she got an extra ride.  Thing is, Irving moved onto her bench seat (where I sit and work) and she feels displaced.  But happy about it.

269beab380a7441e5d3a8ccb0dbb1fc2.jpg

Annie, good luck taking Neko to the V E T today.  Rain has stopped here and I hope to see that big yellow orb in the sky again before long.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the TGIF Daily, Sandi.

Great collection of days.  Most seed is going to be frozen stiff so additional feeding of the birds is a good idea today & tomorrow.  The day the music died is indeed a sad one.  Loved the American Pie song where it was commemorated.

Love the quote by Thomas Edison.  I think I’ve been living it as a one armed bandit.  Some things take forever.  My big accomplishment yesterday - changed the paper towel on my holder.  It always took 2 hands and a bit of work.  I have no idea how I succeeded with 1 but quite pleased with myself and pray I am not 1 armed by the time it needs changing again no matter what the surgeon says 🤞 

31A0E910-E3C1-46F9-A120-09A5BC10F2FC.thumb.jpeg.874ca79240f93269c592ce4214a94bc2.jpeg

Time to turn up the heat in the rooms in the house (many of them are not on or very low). Temps are dropping very fast until we hit -45 C this afternoon and it will stick around for at least a day.  BRRRRRRR

E21093C9-AD56-45B5-8A56-3D571F3CE120.jpeg.402fab974f1092178ce24dcca82ed4f4.jpeg

Hoping everyone suffering from this Polar Vortex and the bitter cold can stay in and warm.  And no one suffers from broken pipes.

We were in San Fransisco many years ago - not on a cruise but a land visit.  Like @StLouisCruiserswe didn’t have a good experience.  Our credit card was counterfeited and I spent a day at the hotel awaiting the delivery of the emergency replacement.  Lesson learned from that - never travel with just one credit card.  Always have a back up.

0159077E-8EEB-4388-8E71-CEA1C34D6702.thumb.jpeg.ae1d7c6ef5126d9c3e9a6ef06a44dbac.jpeg

@cat shepardgood luck with your wellness check & @marshhawkgood luck with Nekko’s vet visit.  Hoping the visit keeps Nekko exploring the house 🤞 

@rafinmdhope you are seeing some improvement today and get lots of rest.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers to those Celebrating 🥂 

345A7B28-11F8-41B3-A0F4-CA0BD074F386.jpeg.393063f43d9003a2a72a6a8b3fb68e4f.jpeg

Have a great Friday everyone !!!!!!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Good morning everyone!  So glad to read Roy is home.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Roy.

Very cold here and don’t think I will be going out for my walk.  DD visiting today and bringing take out from Cheesecake Factory.  But Salmon Tartare would be a winner for me.  Very low carb and good for any low carb diet.  (DH Bill makes a trip to Wegmans each week with his caretaker and always brings me salmon shishimi - sp. I know). 

Hope everyone living in these very cold temperatures this weekend stays inside if possible.   Katherine 

• Like 25

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisersfor supplying all of today's lists,Daily and fleet reports.

Today's posts are memorable.

nice food.

We visited San Francisco pre- cruise before our Hawaiian cruise on Grand Princess in November/December 2019.

Best wishes to everyone who is unwell.

Graham.

IMG_20191117_091403.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 23

Good morning, everyone!

It is freezing here.  Currently we are at 4F with a wind chill of -7F.  I know @ger_77 Gerry can beat that, but it is the coldest I have been this winter.  But, we have 40s to look forward to next week.  I am going out to my class at the gym this morning and then this afternoon we will venture out to the planetarium.  I'm looking forward to that.  

Tartare is usually made from finely chopped raw meat or fish.  That makes it a no go for me.  But, this recipe uses smoked salmon.  There is smoked salmon and then there is smoked salmon.  I'd use the cooked version to make it and the ingredients sound pretty good.  It looks so pretty in the picture.   https://www.thetastychilli.com/smoked-salmon-tartare/

1732749218_salmontartare1.jpg.d30d57522a682193de1ba358e9b53c23.jpg

This is really very easy to make if you're into raw fish.  Just make sure you get the fish that is certified parasite free.  Salmon can carry tapeworm eggs.  To kill the tapeworms  you need to freeze the salmon for a certain length of time or cook it to a temperature of 350F.   https://eatsmarter.com/recipes/salmon-tartare-with-cucumber-0

1231223456_salmontartare2.jpg.5c03db0274631c13acbb05d0467ee4cd.jpg

It is all in the presentation.

According to this website, tartare is usually made with raw beef or horsemeat.  Ok, that did it for me.  I will not eat My Friend Flicka.  But, here is a recipe for those following the paleo diet.  https://paleoleap.com/salmon-tartare-with-fresh-herbs/

1140568743_salmontartare5.thumb.jpg.bda92a2b538b2c8c96658319ac7f7810.jpg

@rafinmd Roy, I hope you are not feeling any ill effects from  your busy day yesterday.  Forward progress only!

@kazu Jacqui, good going on the paper towel maneuver.  Sounds like you are adapting.  

@grapau27 Graham, I'm sorry to hear Sarah isn't doing as well as we thought.  

@smitty34877 I hope Tana is doing better in the eating department.  It is hard to be an Executive Chef when you aren't interested in food.  

@Rowsby I hope the bed is still providing you with a comfortable night's sleep.

@luvteaching Is DH home yet?   

Wishing you all a wonderful day and keep warm.  Sorry if I missed anyone.  It wasn't purposeful.  Just a reflection on the need for more coffee.  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10

Double-thank you Sandi, thank you Debbie, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for your daily contribution! And thank you all for being here!

DSIL and Sue are still down but seem to have passed the hump. DSIL should no longer be contagious after today (Sue tomorrow) and Sue's fever is gone. So far so good with me. Sue, to have something to do, checked FB and had found a thread on our Carnival Legend cruise. It seems someone actually posted about COVID aboard during our cruise - and 45 respondents said that they were infected! That was a huge surprise to us considering that we did our MSC Splendida cruise and the Oosterdam crossing in October-November without issue. In retrospect I never saw Legend crewmembers wiping down public spaces like we did on the Oosterdam. Mmmm!

Happy Friday everyone!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Good cold and sunny morning. It’s currently warmer in Juneau and Anchorage than it is here. Today is a great day to stay in and cuddle with the kids. Tux tries  to be a cool kitty and crawl in the refrigerator. TT doesn’t like sharing his food and puts his front paws in the plate and growls. 
  Dinner tonight will be a pork loin and buttered noodles. I’d love a pina colada . 
@Lady Hudson, Wegmans in Downingtown? Do you go to September Farms at all? Love their cheese.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 23

Good morning all. I hope @rafinmdis doing ok. @kazuyeah on one armed paper towel changing. You are a resourceful and determined woman.

we are currently at -13c (9f) but with lovely sunshine. By Sunday we will be just above freezing again. Crazy up and down. February is why we started travelling to Florida years ago. We started with 2 weeks, graduated to 2 months then 3 months, sadly went back to 6 weeks after dh’s heart attack and bypass surgery. Now with age and pre existing conditions we are not even going because of the high cost of out of country health. We could do a couple of weeks but I can’t motivate myself to pack for that short a period. 

have a great day, all. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1