The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday February 3rd, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I haven't had bubble gum in years, we regularly feed the pigs with wings, and it's sad we lost so much music in one day in 1959.  I was too young to know what was going on, but found out later in life what a tragedy it was.

First off, let me apologize to everyone who is suffering from the cold - I didn't realize the Polar Vortex I shared would encompass such a huge area!  I hope none of you end up with frozen pipes, etc.; I know you can always put on extra clothing and turn up the heat in your homes, but pipes are a different story.  I'm sorry to see all the damage in Texas from the ice - that's awful.  We're currently sitting at -18C (0.4F), and are expecting it to warm up to -5C (23F); what a land of contrasts we live in.  No wonder I have migraines!  

Speaking of the cold @JazzyV, our friend @Quartzsite Cruiserdid a great job of describing how we keep our vehicles going in the winter.  Some vehicles fare better than others, ours being one of them - that even without being plugged in, it started up right away and purred right along.  Years ago we were in North Carolina when someone came up to DH in the parking lot and asked if we were driving an electric car, as the cord was sticking out through the front grill.  LOL  

Yesterday we went out so DH could get his blood work and x rays, then we went to a thrift shop where I picked up a couple of knitted/crocheted afghans so I could take them apart and use the yarn for new blankets for foster children.  One was a lovely yellow/grey/white combination that took me 3 hours to unravel; I can only imagine how long it too to create, but it will make a number of cozy blankets for kids, and for $3, it saved me at least $25 in yarn.  Re: the x-rays - it sounds like some kind of neuropathy, or possibly even arthritis in the toe joints.  The doctor said it was age related; DH was not impressed.  LOL  

I wouldn't mind today's menu suggestion, in fact it was served as an appetizer on our flight home from FLL last week.  DH, who was sitting in the pod beside me took a bite and said "Um, Ger, this isn't cooked."  I laughed, because I'm sure all he saw on the menu was salmon, not the tartare part.  He didn't eat his.  It's Friday, so we'll take a look at the online menus to see what's good - I think maybe it's time for a chicken/bacon/ranch pizza that we haven't had in a long time.  It'll be pizza at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, a loud cheer for all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

It's minus 10 Celcius here.  No idea what the wind chill is, but today is a rare day in our home.  Dh is very rarely cold, he loves winter but today he said he was cold.  It's 22C inside the house which is higher than usual, but we had a roaring fire last night and it got up to 26C in the living room.  Dh actually had a window open just before I went to bed.

I will pass on the food and wine, but the drink sounds great! 

I need to go to the bank and maybe get some groceries before I go to knitting.  

We are having "Pasta Fagioli" tonight.  I have all of the ingredients in my pantry.  

• Like 21

No, no, no on the drink. My attitude about coconut is that I leave it alone and it had better leave me alone. And it seems like a complicated way to serve smoked salmon. I have been to San Francisco but not on a cruise ship.

NCL is trying to set a new record for slow breakfast service but the Nieuw Amsterdam is still in the lead.

There was a notice in cabins last night asking everyone to check under the bed and in the closet for a misdelivered bag. Now, when they deliver bags, they don’t bring them into the room, just leave them outside the door. What sort of person would bring a misdelivered bag in and just keep it? Wouldn’t a normal person call guest services, entrust it to the cabin steward, or even phone the room indicated on the tag?

I saw Million Dollar Quartet last night and really liked it.

1D17D1F4-3412-41C7-9613-9A2EEE8B1DEE.thumb.jpeg.633e3b4e07ff8f107639d18c7ba3cd31.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

From the rotation:

HAL Sailer DSIL in final days

We woke to the news that DSIL passed very early this morning. My DH said about his only remaining sibling, "I'm not surprised, but I wasn't ready to hear it."

After so many health challenges, my DSIL is blessedly now at peace. Thank you all for your continued prayers over these past months,

-Melisa

• Like 7
  • Thanks 31

1 minute ago, HAL Sailer said:

We woke to the news that DSIL passed very early this morning. My DH said about his only remaining sibling, "I'm not surprised, but I wasn't ready to hear it."

After so many health challenges, my DSIL is blessedly now at peace. Thank you all for your continued prayers over these past months,

-Melisa

Melisa, I am deeply sorry for your and DH's loss today of his DS.  Like he said, it wasn't a surprise but is never easy to hear.  I hope the family will be united now and stop the squabbling.  Prayers for you all.🙏

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa

Extending condolences. Never an easy thing to hear even when expected.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa

Melisa, our condolences.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa

Melisa

Thank you for letting us know. Praying that wonderful memories and knowing that she is now at peace help ease your pain. 

Ann

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa

So sorry for your loss.  Prayers for you, your DH and family 🙏🏻

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

NCL has a gathering for solo passengers every afternoon and then some go to the MDR together. Last night tables had been reserved in the Tropicana room, the largest of the three MDRs. As we walked in, one woman declared several times that she DID NOT LIKE Tropicana food. (All MDRs have the same menu and are served from the same galley.) 

She ordered two starters and two desserts, and for one of each ordered something that she had had before and knew she didn’t like. Further, she didn’t notice that the other dessert was no-sugar-added. It was certainly edible, but not identical to the standard version, which I wouldn’t have expected. She just picked at it, and probably headed from there to the buffet for more desserts that she wouldn’t like.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 19

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hope the family will be united now...

We did receive separate messages from each son this morning but each mentioned his brother in a tender way. Perhaps through this journey with their mother they, too, have found peace.

-Melisa

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

We are leaving Hope Bay and back into the open sea.  More waves less wind. Our guide said we were experiencing something people rarely do with 90 mph winds without corresponding waves. He said in 30 years never has  he  seen winds like this so near shore.  Another commendation to Captain Arno. 

We did a turn to put the wind on the port side so three times the captain warned everyone to sit down prior to the maneuver.  Photos maybe when internet gets better. 

Good morning from a rather serene St Petersburg with 75F and very little breeze.  @ottahand, you may be better off on the Volendam than a bigger ship with too many decks higher to catch the wind.  Here is hoping the winds abate.

• Like 19

It is windy and cold with the true deep freeze arriving tomorrow. This house is old and some of the pipes are subject to freezing with problems noted in the past. We will watch things carefully. The  DH and I are bundled already in extra sweaters and blankets if sitting on the couch as that room gets the brunt of the wind. We are scheduled for replacement windows sometime  in March. I keep the insulated drapes closed in all of the rooms on days like this since the windows are not the best.And this is nothing compared to the temperatures others will have today and tomorrow.

I liked the comics and not the gum so usually gave mine to my brother. We feed the birds here but the outdoor cats sometimes present us with a former bird so maybe we should not…

The executive Chef seems to desire food but still has eaten very little all week. I watch her try to eat and can see that it is a job for her. We discussed food ideas for tonight and she wondered if we could try “ breakfast for dinner”. I have a strata recipe that will make everyone happy as I use Beyond Meat sausage. She agrees with you  Debbie. @dfish, it is hard to fulfill her job requirements when she is less than hungry.

I was sorry to see that Sarah is not feeling well. @grapau27, Graham and Pauline, I hope this changes. By the way, your meals look just wonderful and I hope you two are having fun in spite of the worry.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa

My condolences, Melisa, to you and your DH.   Hugs across the miles.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa

Melisa, our condolences to you, your DH, your DSIL's sons on her passing this morning.  Your DH's comment about his sister's passing sums up the feelings of those left behind after a long vigil like you just experienced.  It was good that you both got to visit her last week, and that her sons put aside their differences so the each could spend time with her toward the end.

Lenda 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I used to chew bubble gum as a kid (bazooka). I currently don't have a bird feeder. I remember hearing about the day the music died, but was too young when it happened to know about it. Good quote. I'll pass on the meal (fish); I have a chuck roast I need to cook. Yes to a pina colada and the wine.

I've been to San Francisco for a conference, many years ago (80's), pre-digital camera.

Brrr. It's 14F with a wind chill of 0, temperature going down, and intermittent snow showers. I'd like to stay inside, but may have to run to the post office. I will open the cabinets below the kitchen sink and let water drip; last time we were this cold (around Christmas) the drain line from my dishwasher froze.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for starting us up today and our lists. 

@ottahand7 Wow on those winds. When I was there on Zaandam we had calm winds and seas fortunately.

@cat shepard I hope all goes well with your check-up.

@cruising sister Beautiful sunrise.

@marshhawk Hopefully Neko gets a good report from the Vet.

@summer slope That is disappointing about tickets to the Arizona memorial; I hope you get them.

@kazu Good job on changing the paper towel holder! I hope your pain is tolerable.

@dfish Your painted bedroom looks great. So many closets! Also the quilt. I started a quilt many years ago and wanted no machine stitching; then my eyesight got bad and I've never finished it. I may consider using my sewing machine. It's a sampler quilt, with each square different.

@Heartgrove Good to hear that DSIL and Sue are starting to feel better.

@ger_77 At least it was nothing too serious for DH. 

@HAL Sailer My condolences to you and DH on the passing of his DS. Never easy, even when expected. 

@smitty34877 Stay warm! My over 100-year old house has the original windows. Even though there are storm windows in place, I can feel the air coming in. I had resisted getting new windows (I like the old wavy glass), I'm now considering it (I probably can't afford to get them all done at once!). I hope Tana can eat more, and breakfast for dinner sounds good!

@rafinmd I hope you got better rest last night and are relaxing today.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

apologize to everyone who is suffering from the cold - I didn't realize the Polar Vortex I shared would encompass such a huge area!  I hope none of you end up with frozen pipes, etc.; I know you can always put on extra clothing and turn up the heat in your homes, but pipes are a different story.  

We're not holding you personally responsible! It's likely to be -5F at home tonight. My house has water pipes in the crawl space but I put the downstairs thermostat on hold at 66. The Junior Cat has a heated bed but often stays downstairs at night to watch for polar bears.

• Like 14
  • Haha 10