Windjammer desserts look way better than they taste

time4u2go

Fact check:  True (at least most of time, IMO)

Most nights, I bring a plate of 4-5 desserts that look great back to our WJ table, hoping it'll be the night where everything changes.  But no.

Edited by Husky1987
  • Like 12

4 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Fact check:  True (at least most of time, IMO)

Most nights, I bring a plate of 4-5 desserts that look great back to our WJ table, hoping it'll be the night where everything changes.  But no.

Yes!  This is exactly what I do, but you're right, it never seems to improve.

• Like 2

This is something we noticed immediately during our fist cruise with Royal Caribbean.(and not just in the Windjammer, also in the MDR) .  Looks incredible, but then you bite into them and seem to be a flavor vacuum.

They seemed to have improved in the last 5 years or so.  Hopefully this isn't a sign of something changing.

Edited by The Fun Researcher

4 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Stick to the ranger cookies. They rarely disappoint.

Yes....you've come up with the one things that has never failed us (and that we take back to our cabin most night we find them in the WJ).  Whether they are on the crispier or softer side, they are the best thing going.

• Like 4

I was very pleasantly surprised on my last cruise. I don't even bother with the plastic-cup-of-something items anymore, but they actually had a pound cake recipe that they switched up daily (pistachio pound cake, apple pound cake, etc) that was GOOD! And a dense, almost marzipan-like, pie recipe they did a few variations on (apricot almond, peach almond) that I liked a lot. Plus, cafe latitudes had a fantastic brownie! I've never had a decent brownie, or maybe any brownie, on a cruise ship.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Maybe it's just me, but I find that desserts in the Windjammer look really nice, but are almost always disappointing in how they taste.  They have little flavor (other than sweet).  Does anyone else have any opinion on this?

I agree with you 100%. It's so bad we now skip having desserts.

1 minute ago, GetToLivin said:

This made me laugh for real, it's so true. I usually opt for ice-cream (when available) and find it less disappointing...probably because they're not making it.

Lol yes!  I was just thinking the same thing.  When they serve real ice cream (not the Frozen Dessert Product), it is at least somewhat good.

17 minutes ago, schlimazel_traveler said:

I was very pleasantly surprised on my last cruise. I don't even bother with the plastic-cup-of-something items anymore, but they actually had a pound cake recipe that they switched up daily (pistachio pound cake, apple pound cake, etc) that was GOOD! And a dense, almost marzipan-like, pie recipe they did a few variations on (apricot almond, peach almond) that I liked a lot. Plus, cafe latitudes had a fantastic brownie! I've never had a decent brownie, or maybe any brownie, on a cruise ship.

I agree I normally don't like pound cake, but got it for whatever reason and was pleasantly surprised.