Icon - Are they prepared for the amount of kids?

Angie2045

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

MB obviously hasn't received a sales update on that in a while.  I just went through from may though the end of the year and only 3 weeks are available.  July 21 94k, Oct 5 67k and Dec 14 at 83k

Do you believe everything you see is available is all that is available or just a ploy to see so few available making people book them in fear they may not be able to get one........Once that supply goes and then open up other weeks?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Do you believe everything you see is available is all that is available or just a ploy to see so few available making people book them in fear they may not be able to get one........Once that supply goes and then open up other weeks?

I doubt it.  People have set vacation times or preferred times they want to travel.  If they don't see it they will book something elsewhere.  There are plenty of high end vacations for this demographic to choose from. Too risky a move to keep some hidden.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Doesn't sound to private with people peeking over the fence and those trying to get in your back yard to play on your ping pong table

I'm sure the Royal Genie will keep them away.  😆

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I doubt it.  People have set vacation times or preferred times they want to travel.  If they don't see it they will book something elsewhere.  There are plenty of high end vacations for this demographic to choose from. Too risky a move to keep some hidden.

I don't know, there always someone else to come along. Only takes takes one.

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Found 2 more weeks unsold, so 5 weeks available out of the 49 weeks she sails in 2024 or 92% sold

Keep an eye on those 5 weeks, after it gets down to 2 or 3 available , just see if any new dates open up?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

MB obviously hasn't received a sales update on that in a while.  I just went through from may though the end of the year and only 3 weeks are available.  July 21 94k, Oct 5 67k and Dec 14 at 83k

Seemed a little planned for the 3 you did find that each is in 3 different seasons reflecting the differences in prices. Summer, Fall and Winter.

Not sure what other 2 dates you found later were, like this was a test to see just what people are willing to pay for one of these cabins for 1 week.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Don't be naive, they WILL cruise on it again...and again, and again, and again.  Maybe I will too...I'll let you know next year.

I think that might depend where the prices go in the future. We are booked in 2025 refundable, will decide later after reviews if we go on it or not. Pretty sure either way it would be a one and done for us.

19 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Expect an email from me  I'm ready to book it🤣😇

• Haha 1

Royal will price it to fill the ship.  If the prices are too high and they are having a tough time with occupancy they will be forced to reduce the price.  Simple macro economics really.  New ships are always high.  That's why we typically wait a few years at least.  Fortunately we love the Voyager and Freedom class ships (especially if they are amped) as well so we can find some nice prices there.  Royal has such an amazing fleet there is no need to sail the newest and shiniest right away IMO.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Yes, I think they accounted for it.

What I find interesting, with more than 82% of all rooms onboard Icon of the Seas accommodating 3 or more guests, I have to imagine they will lift the restriction of not allowing parties of 2 to book these cabins.  The ship has more potential for families with kids but that doesn't necessarily mean that we'll see a substantial shift that way on the sailings.  We'll see

So far, I'm not seeing that. We booked for August 2024, family of 3 (myself, DW, DS). Only cabins that hold 3 were available to us, no cabins that hold 4 or more. Most ships, I can book almost any cabin with 3 (we're booked in an ultraspacious balcony this summer on Oasis since DS loves the actual bunk beds). The family infinite balconies with the interesting layout aren't available to us...not even Surfside balconies that hold 4.

Maybe they'll open them a little earlier than they do now though?

20 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

It will be their first ship with a dedicated neighborhood set up for young families. 

It's the first time they're advertising a neighborhood geared towards young families...but there isn't really much in the neighborhood that isn't available on the other ships. Splashaway Bay, arcade, carousel. Sure, the "mommy & me" bar concept is new, but the real change is really just having them all in one neighborhood.

I almost feel like the goal with this ship is to keep the families away from the non-families who maybe don't want to deal with a ton of kids. By putting a family specialty restaurant, a family-themed buffet, having AO one deck below...it's basically containing all the family-oriented activities to one area of the ship, leaving those upper decks (aside from the water park) open with fewer families.

We are two young seniors, but I am cautiously optimistic about the kids on the Icon of the Seas- even booked a suite in the neighborhood geared to families.  It was a decent price and allowed us to get all suite benefits.  We might be sorry as we aren't bringing any grandchildren with us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xtremegk said:

So far, I'm not seeing that. We booked for August 2024, family of 3 (myself, DW, DS). Only cabins that hold 3 were available to us, no cabins that hold 4 or more. Most ships, I can book almost any cabin with 3 (we're booked in an ultraspacious balcony this summer on Oasis since DS loves the actual bunk beds). The family infinite balconies with the interesting layout aren't available to us...not even Surfside balconies that hold 4.

Maybe they'll open them a little earlier than they do now though?

That's interesting.  We've always experienced the same.  If it holds 4, I can book it for 3.  The restrictions always came in when it's a cabin that holds 3 or 4, but trying to book it for 2.  That's what I was referring to, but by what you're saying it's even MORE restrictive than that not allowing 3 to book a room that holds 4.  Hmm.

We're a family of 5 so always always run into some of these issues with how we split the kids and my wife and I between cabins.

If the ship doesn't fill, they will be forced to relax the restrictions.  I'm guessing right now, because it's a new ship, they can be very restrictive because the demand is so high. 

They always relax restrictions as the cruise gets closer to final payment.

I think based on the fact that icon is targeting young families I think the icon will be swamped with kids when it comes out,  I have children as well but I don't think I would enjoy a cruise that had thousands of kids running around, that's the reason we've never sailed Disney. It will be a several  years before I even consider booking Icon because of that reason.  .Also I don't understand why some people would spend 75,000 for a stateroom for a week, not to offend anyone but that seems wasteful, and even if I had 75,000 just sitting around to throw away I could find better ways to use the money. Just my opinion.

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I think that might depend where the prices go in the future. We are booked in 2025 refundable, will decide later after reviews if we go on it or not. Pretty sure either way it would be a one and done for us.

I agree the prices are insane, but the ship is too...can't wait.  Our September cruise has increased a ton, so glad we booked day of announcement! If we have to downsize to once every two years from twice every year, I would do it for this one.

Not sure I will sail on that ship any time soon as we do not have kids for some time. However we noticed that if ship is designed correctly number of kids is not a problem at all. We sail on Anthem often .. with $1300+ kids. RCI created amazing Solarium where we "live", and there are many other areas.

We booked the Icon for May 2024 when it opened. Extended family that includes 4 adults & four kids. 

We got two Surfside Family suites next to each other. Got the KSF so pricing wasn't too bad. Glad we booked when we did.

On 2/8/2023 at 1:01 PM, Angie2045 said:

I wonder if the RCC will be prepared for the amount of children onboard the Icon. Since they is the first ship geared towards young families, I would imagine it will have more children onboard then any other ship. I hope this doesn't negatively impact bookings at the kids club and crowds for kid related activities. Do you think RCC would have anticipated this issue and are designing the Icon accordingly? 

Don’t worry - they are pricing out many young families. 

On 2/8/2023 at 2:46 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

I read that the Townhouse was 75% booked for 2024 but this is even less availability.!

Don't think Icon is for us. Hope they don't homeport it or a sister ship in Port Canaveral -- our closest port.   

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 2:44 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

The majority of people who are booking the Ultimate family Townhouse are not even looking at the price.  They are doing it for the experience.  Them booking that is no differently than many of us jumping over that $100 balcony for 2 taxes in.  The old saying "if you have to ask what it costs" certainly applies in this case.  It's not a matter of them using the money for a $75,000 pool, these are the people who have built the pool for millions and are now buying pool furniture for the 75k

A truly brilliant comparison!

• Like 1

I think the Family Suite (and the prices for it) is a bit crazy but if I was 10-13 years old I would probably think otherwise. 

Booked in 2025 for the Royal which seems priced a bit more sane especially for those without young kids.

Renders have them bringing back the piano which is a much-missed omission from quantum class and the modern celebrity ships + "upgrades" or whatever term they use for "amped"

On 2/8/2023 at 2:22 PM, ticketsunlimited said:

Royal Caribbean has done a brilliant job when it has come to encouraging  the kids to sail.  Eventually these kids will get the cruising "bug" and will become cruising adults.  Throw in the crown and anchor status that they inherit and its just like the Marlboro man of the 70s hooking you for life.

Not to mention the kids sail free promos which were promoted to feel like your getting a deal.  It is all about casting a net and seeing what you can catch.

Not always. My dd 21 was adamant she wanted pinnacle before she switched cruise line. Until I took her on Celebrity last month🤦🏼‍♀️