Do I Need Seasickness Meds for the "Tropical Caribbean" Cruise in March?

BostonBoy2

This cruise, leaving March 19, goes to Half Moon Cay, Amber Cove and Grand Turk. There are two days "at sea."

Could anyone that's taken this cruise recently let me know if there are any rough waters? I am very susceptible to sea sickness, and I'm wondering what precautions I need to take, or whether I need to take any at all. 

Thanks in advance.

There is always a chance of rough waters at any time of year.

All it takes is a strong front moving down or up through the area  and the winds, combined with the currents and tides, can leave you rocking  and  rolling.  And the effects of a frontal passage can be felt far from the actual location of the front.

Just bring whatever you might normally use in case you need it.

(Cue the posters: Never had rough water in my three cruises in the area; It's not hurricane season; Big ships are stable with no motion....)

Edited by Homosassa
  • Haha 2

Waters can be rough any time, any place. Any time you are on a ship, you need to be prepared.

Would it be smart if you got advice here that the Caribbean (which most of your cruise is actually NOT in the Caribbean, its in the Atlantic) was smooth as glass...so you went unprepared, and it was rough?

We were just on the NS from Feb. 11-18 stopping at the same ports as well as Nassau. I get motion sickness very easily. I had Sea-Bands on during the days, took them off when sleeping. I also take along ginger tea (great for nausea) and motion sickness pills, but didn’t use either. I try my best to avoid medication. The Sea-Bands are my cruise friends!

19 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

(which most of your cruise is actually NOT in the Caribbean, its in the Atlantic) 

LOL - Some of us have giving up on correcting people on geography (Orlando, FL is not on the water....)

I listen to the weather and look at the weather maps.

If I was cruising anywhere in the Atlantic (i.e., Bermuda, Bahamas, Turks and Calicos) or the northeast section of the Caribbean, anytime in the next week or two, I would be watching the extremely high heat pressure dome sitting over Florida and the progression of the extremely cold front progressing east across the US.

Could also be fun in the Gulf of Mexico. 

Somewhere those two systems are going to meet and it going to be a mess anywhere on the water if it occurs on the east coast and continues east. (or northern Gulf area).

I expect to see threads on the rough seas  or, my favorite, "We didn't go into XYZ port because of weather and it is perfectly sunny and clear here."

We always take Bonine, or non-drowsy Dramamine. The active ingredient is meclazine. It's inexpensive, works well, and is a decent hangover treatment. (You did not hear that last one from me. Just drink plenty of water and avoid excess consumption of alcoholic beverages.)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I am very prone to motion sickness and would never go on a cruise not prepared.  At any time conditions can change and it may get rough.  For example, a cruise I took in January was very smooth and then a wind and cold front came in and the ship was really rocking and some people felt sick. Luckily that was only for 1.5 days or the 8 night cruise.

I always take OTC motion sickness pills and increase them if the cruise is rough or take the minimum if it is smooth.  I also wear Sea Bands.  I keep on hand saltines, ginger cookies, ginger tea and some sort of ginger lozenge or candy (last cruise I took Up Spring stomach settle and have taken other brands and types in the past).  

Some other tricks if you start to feel ill is to get outside in fresh air on as low a deck and mid ship as possible.  Hopefully, you cabin is low and mid ship as that really helps not feel sick.

Jen

• Like 2

I don't know if HAL has done away with the  "Yum-Yum" man.

If they haven't, check outside the dining room with the fixed traditional seatings  about an hour after the first seating begins.

If he is there with the cart, there will be candied ginger available which is good for queasy stomachs.

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I don't know if HAL has done away with the  "Yum-Yum" man.

The Yum-Yum man is gone.  

I was in the Rotterdam in the beginning of February.  The two sea days in the beginning of the cruise were very rough, probably because it was so windy.  I was sitting at the Seaview Pool one evening watching the water cascade over the sides of the pool.  I left when my jeans were wet almost up to my knees.  If you are prone to seasickness, bring the remedies that work for you.

57 minutes ago, 0106 said:

The Yum-Yum man is gone.  

I was in the Rotterdam in the beginning of February.  The two sea days in the beginning of the cruise were very rough, probably because it was so windy.  I was sitting at the Seaview Pool one evening watching the water cascade over the sides of the pool.  I left when my jeans were wet almost up to my knees.  If you are prone to seasickness, bring the remedies that work for you.

I was on the same cruise, and yes, it was rough.  My advice is to take a Bonine in the morning BEFORE you board.  If its rough leaving Ft. Lauderdale, as it sometimes is, then you'll already have it in your system.  Hopefully, things will smooth out as the cruise progresses.

As far as calling it the Caribbean when we are actually sailing in the gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic ocean- the cruise lines do that & have created a generic term "Caribbean" for cruises south of USA.  You can't book an "Atlantic" cruise, the cruise lines call it a "Caribbean" cruise.  

I NEVER travel without my meclizine.  You never know when things might get rough.

I purchase child dosage generic meclizine from Amazon.  It's much, much cheaper than Bonine--the same drug but without the expensive advertising. 

I listen/watch the weather & seas report on the ship.  If it's going to be windy or choppy, I take one pill because it's a preventative, not a curative.  You need it in your system before it gets iffy.  

This protocol has never failed me.  The lower dosage doesn't make me drowsy or thirsty.

Amazon.com: Rugby Meclizine Hcl 12.5 mg 100 Cplts : Everything Else

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, OHCruiser said:

I NEVER travel without my meclizine.  You never know when things might get rough.

I purchase child dosage generic meclizine from Amazon.  It's much, much cheaper than Bonine--the same drug but without the expensive advertising. 

I listen/watch the weather & seas report on the ship.  If it's going to be windy or choppy, I take one pill because it's a preventative, not a curative.  You need it in your system before it gets iffy.  

This protocol has never failed me.  The lower dosage doesn't make me drowsy or thirsty.

Amazon.com: Rugby Meclizine Hcl 12.5 mg 100 Cplts : Everything Else

That's exactly what I take along with us.  I have rarely felt any nausea on our cruises but have the meclizine available in case rough seas are heading our way.  Very inexpensive compared to Bonine tablets.

• Like 1

Even though I spent 21 years in the Navy, I get severe motion sickness. I always bring meclazine that I get on Amazon (25 mg chewables), and they work really well. I was able to survive a very rough English Channel transit on the Prinsendam that was so rough that the crew was even green around the gills. Nothing else has worked for me. The wrist bands made my hands hurt, ginger makes me gag, and trying to view the horizon never worked either. That’s why I joined a Seabee unit 😁.

Taking them before the ship sails into open waters is key. One good thing to note, as I’ve cruised, I find that I need them less and less. Maybe one day I will get my “sea legs”!

• Like 1

As everyone has said...take some non-drowsy pills with you.  Having said that, most (but not all) who get seasick get sick because they are worried that they will get sick and as soon as they feel anything move, they panic that this might be the moment.  The fact that you are worried now leads me to believe you should take something to calm your fears...in fact, a placebo would probably work as well as the pills because you wouldn't worry....

At one point I was very prone to seasickness.  Having now cruised quite a bit on all size ships, it no longer bothers me...and we've been in 30 foot seas and even eaten in the dining room during a storm and having a huge outside window shatter next to us due to the ship hull flexing.    

Edited by ghstudio

Always come prepared. I have been very lucky. Never been sea sick, knock on wood. Several years ago I was in a small ship and 30 ft seas for 24 hours. I enjoyed my dinner in the MDR by myself while the plates and glasses danced across the table.

Edited by RedneckBob

On 2/26/2023 at 7:38 PM, AFNavigator said:

Also, if you have never taken any of these medications, it would be beneficial to try them before your cruise to see if you can tolerate them.  Always good to know in advance.

excellent advice !!

While some may tell you that you can get seasickness meds from the ship's medical department, my advice is to just bring it with you.  You don't want to go any where near the medical department unless you need to in the post-covid era!!

Murphy's Law says to bring them and you won't need them...

Murphy is a five star Mariner....