The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday March 10th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

22 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

I just got a call that a dear friend from medical school died this morning. She had the same cancer that my DH died from. Ocular melanoma is a rare form of eye cancer and the only thing it has in common with skin melanoma is the name. There is no cure. It seeds to other areas almost immediately. The speed at which it kills you is based on the genetics and how aggressive it is. My husbands showed up in his liver 6 years after diagnosis and he died 20 months later. Hers showed up in her liver 20 years after diagnosis and she died 4 years later. We were both 36 when we started medical school so we bonded as the atypical student. She was an amazing person. 

I'm sorry to hear about your DH and your dear friend.

Graham.

• Like 9

Good morning, Dailyites!  Thinking about you all today - you are all awesome, I agree!   Pat should be coming home this morning, he emailed earlier that the "caterpillar" had been removed.  the surgeon poked his head into the room at 7 last night and said he was trying to arrange a CT scan for Pat before hje leaves the hospital, so we have to wait to see what the timing will be.  The doctor also called me and said that if it were him, he'd take the cruise, because if anything more needs to be done, it would probably take a month or so to get it organized.  I have to go for my Prolia shot, so DD will pick Pat up if I'm not back when he calls.

Where phone booths go to die - Kingston upon Thames

IMG_0200.thumb.jpeg.726f6c2878d99a0df7a42c70ce16f0c2.jpeg

I did post my pictures from Tonga last time, so I'll just add a few from the botanic garden we visited.  As I mentioned, I picked up a bug there which took a long time to get rid of, so I don't recommend eating ashore!

The king had just died so a lot of people were wearing black, including our guide.

P1000222.thumb.JPG.776dc99a08231ec86f13dc969c7003fe.JPG

In the botanic garden, pineapples, papaya, etc., and tamarind pods on the ground.

IMGP0767.thumb.JPG.e6ccd5a624cd2dc38ae980cf811fad32.JPG

P1000220.thumb.JPG.890dea23308b5d6f0339ede78f41fc9c.JPG

P1000219.thumb.JPG.141c6f4a7ebf44255f416963ef97cb8a.JPG

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

My blood-draw appointment was uneventful. I also had to go out briefly just after 11:00, as some YKW was just starting to fall. It's not sticking but the temperature is falling.

When I got home from the second errand, there was email asking me to check in online for my appointment, sent at 11:35. Two things are wrong with this: I had already checked in online, and the appointment had been at 8:55.

• Like 6
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

I just got a call that a dear friend from medical school died this morning. She had the same cancer that my DH died from. Ocular melanoma is a rare form of eye cancer and the only thing it has in common with skin melanoma is the name. There is no cure. It seeds to other areas almost immediately. The speed at which it kills you is based on the genetics and how aggressive it is. My husbands showed up in his liver 6 years after diagnosis and he died 20 months later. Hers showed up in her liver 20 years after diagnosis and she died 4 years later. We were both 36 when we started medical school so we bonded as the atypical student. She was an amazing person. 

Condolences to you and your dear friend's family and friends.  

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites!  Thinking about you all today - you are all awesome, I agree!   Pat should be coming home this morning, he emailed earlier that the "caterpillar" had been removed.  the surgeon poked his head into the room at 7 last night and said he was trying to arrange a CT scan for Pat before hje leaves the hospital, so we have to wait to see what the timing will be.  The doctor also called me and said that if it were him, he'd take the cruise, because if anything more needs to be done, it would probably take a month or so to get it organized.  I have to go for my Prolia shot, so DD will pick Pat up if I'm not back when he calls.

Where phone booths go to die - Kingston upon Thames

IMG_0200.thumb.jpeg.726f6c2878d99a0df7a42c70ce16f0c2.jpeg

I did post my pictures from Tonga last time, so I'll just add a few from the botanic garden we visited.  As I mentioned, I picked up a bug there which took a long time to get rid of, so I don't recommend eating ashore!

The king had just died so a lot of people were wearing black, including our guide.

P1000222.thumb.JPG.776dc99a08231ec86f13dc969c7003fe.JPG

In the botanic garden, pineapples, papaya, etc., and tamarind pods on the ground.

IMGP0767.thumb.JPG.e6ccd5a624cd2dc38ae980cf811fad32.JPG

P1000220.thumb.JPG.890dea23308b5d6f0339ede78f41fc9c.JPG

P1000219.thumb.JPG.141c6f4a7ebf44255f416963ef97cb8a.JPG

Ann, that is good news that Pat will be coming home today.  It is also good news that the doctor said to go ahead and enjoy your cruise.  Thank you for the pictures of Tonga.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all!  My father who had no middle name chose mine and it is very special to me, even if I rarely see that time of day.   In Genealogy it is helpful when some families incorporate ancestral names.  

I spent a lot of time in the British telephones calling home when we travelled over seas, often accompanied by spiders,  nice to hear many have been turned into little libraries.  

We are awaiting the blizzard,  thankful the plumber came and our main floor bathroom is functional again!  And the laundry!  

@cruising sister I am so sorry for your loss!   Cancer is so nasty,  we lost a friend who had melanoma in her sinuses that was very aggressive.  
@JazzyV thanks so much for the lists!

@dfish interesting meal!  Thanks for the info! 
The jury’s still out for me on the Amazon,  so interesting discussion.  

• Like 17

Good morning all!

The rain is back, I'm glad I got out to the garden yesterday for a bit.  

I think everyone here is awesome.  My day so far has been awesome too (I agree, it's an overused word).  Debbie @dfishand Maxine @AncientWandererwe booked the South America/Antarctica cruise for 2025!  🙂  Debbie I don't know if you saw that Maxine and I were discussing it a couple days ago.  

My middle name is Anne.  I don't know, but the fact that Princess Anne was born 5 months before I was may have had something to do with that choice.  Maxine @AncientWandererI also have a little red phone booth in my village.

phonebooth.thumb.jpg.e393bbb47165ef2f816de9aaab0be55c.jpg

I'll pass on the drink, red wine and meal.  Tonight will be stuffed peppers.

Sandi @StLouisCruisersprayers for your DB.  I hope today is a better day for him.

Roy @rafinmdYay about the good night's sleep!

Debbie @dfishI don't blame you for wanting to get that surgery over with.  And oh my about the handyman yesterday.  The fact that he got paid by the hour had a lot to do with his pokiness I'm sure.

Lorraine @cruising sisterI'm so sorry to hear about the death of your good friend.  Especially sad that she died from the same cancer that your DH had. 😞  

• Like 18

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

My condolences to you on the loss of your friend.  I hope you have many great memories to give  you comfort.

44 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I think everyone here is awesome.  My day so far has been awesome too (I agree, it's an overused word).  Debbie @dfishand Maxine @AncientWandererwe booked the South America/Antarctica cruise for 2025!  🙂  Debbie I don't know if you saw that Maxine and I were discussing it a couple days ago.  

Are you booked for January?   We are January 6-28 San Antonio to Buenos Aires.  I sure hope you are!

44 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Debbie @dfishI don't blame you for wanting to get that surgery over with.  And oh my about the handyman yesterday.  The fact that he got paid by the hour had a lot to do with his pokiness I'm sure.

He is definitely a one and done.  He didn't get his full rate.  

My middle name is Ann.  I always wanted it to be Anne and I thought that looked prettier.  Of course, I wanted my first name to be Amy. Or Linda.  Or Cathy.   Or anything other than what it was.  

• Like 16

27 minutes ago, dfish said:

Are you booked for January?   We are January 6-28 San Antonio to Buenos Aires.  I sure hope you are!

Yes!!!  We're in 7138.  I'll have a birthday during the cruise, on a sea day.  🙂 

27 minutes ago, dfish said:

He is definitely a one and done.  He didn't get his full rate.

Good!  

My middle name is Ann.  I always wanted it to be Anne and I thought that looked prettier.  Of course, I wanted my first name to be Amy. Or Linda.  Or Cathy.   Or anything other than what it was.  

And I always wished mine was spelled Ann.  🤣

• Like 11

I guess I’m the exception to others in my opinion of the Amazon. I disliked the cruise. The ship was great but the Amazon is dirty and hot. Saw nothing from the ship. I suggested to friends that they fly into Manaus and take a local guide. Would probably be able to see the rainforest. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Yes!!!  We're in 7138.  I'll have a birthday during the cruise, on a sea day.  🙂 

And I always wished mine was spelled Ann.  🤣

Oh, my gosh, I am so excited!   We are in 6075, a large inside cabin.  Cool for you, an aft veranda!  You get to host sail away!  I'd offer but the view isn't so great from our cabin.  I guess we could turn on the bow cam.

• Like 10
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, dfish said:

Oh, my gosh, I am so excited!   We are in 6075, a large inside cabin.  Cool for you, an aft veranda!  You get to host sail away!  I'd offer but the view isn't so great from our cabin.  I guess we could turn on the bow cam.

I'd be happy to!  We're excited too. 🙂  

• Like 12

Are you all sure that you don't want to cruise the 14 day Alaska cruise on May 7th on the Nieuw Amsterdam with me?  I'm not scared to go on a new cruise line but it would be nice if one of you were there to show me the ropes....

What is the first thing that I should do on a Holland ship once I board?

And what is the best meal in the MDR?

And when my friends get too tired of me wanting to wander on the ship all day, where can I tell them to go to hide from me?

I asked DH if he wanted to do the amazon, he said no, he learned his lesson when he said "Opa" when I asked about Greece...

• Like 14

I love the Amazon.  I was there first in 1994 with a professional group.  We started in Manaus and ended at Iguazu Falls at the time of a total eclipse.  Second time in 1996 on another Earthwatch Expedition, studying the tropical fish industry, including a journey three days up the Rio Negro to survey and help with a fish festival in Barcelos.  In a small leaky boat.  Both times there was a cruise ship at the floating pier in Manaus.  And I wanted to be on that ship!  So in 1999 we did South America, Buenos Aires to Manaus on the original Royal Princess.  

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Staten Island Ferry, Weehawken Ferry, Hong Kong Star Ferry

Maybe I will start listing the Wheatland Ferry in Oregon. It's an electric, cable-drawn ferry that carries six cars at a time across the Willamette River, a trip of about two minutes.

1089px-Wheatland_Ferry_approaching_east_landing_P2326.thumb.jpg.48d18fac4d53e54ccc3aafa180fcf45b.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 12
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Maybe I will start listing the Wheatland Ferry in Oregon. It's an electric, cable-drawn ferry that carries six cars at a time across the Willamette River, a trip of about two minutes.

1089px-Wheatland_Ferry_approaching_east_landing_P2326.thumb.jpg.48d18fac4d53e54ccc3aafa180fcf45b.jpg

I have been on this ferry many times....too funny....:)

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

My middle name is Anne.  I don't know, but the fact that Princess Anne was born 5 months before I was may have had something to do with that choice.  Maxine @AncientWandererI also have a little red phone booth in my village.

phonebooth.thumb.jpg.e393bbb47165ef2f816de9aaab0be55c.jpg

I'll pass on the drink, red wine and meal.  Tonight will be stuffed peppers.

Sandi @StLouisCruisersprayers for your DB.  I hope today is a better day for him.

Roy @rafinmdYay about the good night's sleep!

Lorraine @cruising sisterI'm so sorry to hear about the death of your good friend.  Especially sad that she died from the same cancer that your DH had. 😞  

Woo hoo!  👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Just checked in quickly — we’re babysitting.  Good news!

• Like 9