Is anyone else just totally over cruising? Rant on recent cruise (Independence), bad service, food, FLU

aimcat

I was on this cruise. Our promenade view room was clean, breakfast in the Windjammer was perfectly fine (admittedly, I mostly had porridge and fruit, but my husband didn’t).

The ice show was good- there were a few falls, but you kind of expect that. It was high energy and fun. 

Grease was good- I don’t love the moral, but the music was a blast.

We got the Ultimate Dining package, so I can’t comment on the Main Dining room. I’m sorry it was awful. We ate extremely well.

There were definitely live bands.

We had a great time, so no, I don’t feel this way.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, poocher said:

I always discount any review that is ALL BAD. There wasn’t ONE thing good the entire trip?  Not one? No trip is all good or bad.  This is just ranting.

It’s not even ranting! It’s just trolling. Have to call what it is. Every single aspect of the cruise all the way down to the excursions was awful……. Yeah Right! 🙄

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, joeyancho said:

In part, I can agree with the OP.  Food, which used to be such an amazing part of cruising certainly has gone downhill on Royal Caribbean.  Not just in the MDR.  In every venue from the Promenade Cafe all the way to room service. We have booked a Princess cruise in hopes that it is better. 

Just returned from a Princess Cruise, much better food.  (I am Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean and am sad to see the decline in food quality)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

And as for the flu, it's flu season and has absolutely nothing to do with the ship other than someone onboard probably had it (you know kind of like people at work and school pass illnesses around).

I'm thinking there weren't enough hours to incubate an influenza infection in this example if he caught it on the boat. Norovirus maybe but OP said it was confirmed flu.  Having said that, full cruises are going to make noro more common so everybody does need to washy washy and not just at the buffet!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Over 400 posts since 2009. Your not a one and done complainer, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Many say food has gone downhill. Many say cabins are dusty and dirty. You are not alone on that. Also, many, many are complaining about attitude from staff. I'll buy that one also.

What I will question is complaining about price of a trip you purchased 2 weeks out. Land, air, sea, etc...all cost a ton when done last minute. That's on you. 

And drinks package. Nobody forced you to buy it. If I don't like the price, I don't buy. Again, that's on you.

But I will buy the complaints of poor quality and service. As you are not the first and with the way things have been going, not the last with those issues.

• Like 18

3 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

The ice show was good- there were a few falls, but you kind of expect that. It was high energy and fun. 

I can't imagine trying to land a double axle with moving ship below you.  Those are hard enough when the rink doesn't shift beneath your feet.

• Like 8

Lololol. Sounds like someone just made bad Decisions and trying to take them out on the cruise line.   

2800.00 for a 4 day cruise.   Your biggest mistake.    I didn’t pay that much for 15 days solo through panama.    Lolol. 

and how do you know you didn’t catch the flu on the plane.   Taxi shuttle. Airport.     But definitely the cruise ship.    
lololol.   

I just got off the Wonder.  Sold out.   Great food.  Great entertainment great crew.    Great end to my 29 days at sea.    

our ice show was amazing.   One of the best I’ve seen.   
As was our aqua show.   Was the best I’ve seen 

Edited by Cruise5life
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, garywatson said:

I'm thinking there weren't enough hours to incubate an influenza infection in this example if he caught it on the boat. Norovirus maybe but OP said it was confirmed flu.  Having said that, full cruises are going to make noro more common so everybody does need to washy washy and not just at the buffet!

A four night cruise and they started feeling sick on the day they got off the ship, so technically Day five.  They absolutely had enough time to catch the flu.  Symptoms typically start two days after exposure but can range from one to four days so yes, they was enough time.   But, that still can't be blamed on Royal.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, BND said:

So, here's my answer, PLEASE do not cruise again.   I don't get people who book a cruise at a specific price and then complain about the price.   No one is forcing you to cruise.

I totally agree. I don't understand why, when someone is so unhappy, people give advice to cool off and then try it again. That makes zero sense to me. 

• Like 8

If you book at the last minute with few cabins left you will pay high prices,  supply and demand.  You have no way of knowing  where you caught the flu as incubation can be 4 days.  You could have had it when you got on the ship.  Further, you probably gave it to others on your flight home (maybe people who were headed to a vacation).  Should the people who you made sick blame the airline?  Depending on how you look at it, viruses happen,  but if you needed to blame someone it would be the person who boarded the plane with symptoms that could have been flu, covid or something else, but most certainly not the airline.  

Service and quality issues suck.  Can't disagree there.  

But, honestly, if I was done with cruising I would move on.  I would certainly not take the time to come to a cruise centric forum to complain.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, BND said:

A four night cruise and they started feeling sick on the day they got off the ship, so technically Day five.  They absolutely had enough time to catch the flu.  Symptoms typically start two days after exposure but can range from one to four days so yes, they was enough time.   But, that still can't be blamed on Royal.

It was day 4 as they were feeling sick before noon on CoCo Cay.  Still, I agree they may have caught it from someone on board.  They also may have spread it to others, as they were not isolated during disembarkation or during their flight home.  

• Like 3

I will echo what others have been saying about the decline in the quality of food. We went ahead and bought into the UDP for our upcoming cruise knowing food is a big deal to part of our group. My Father and Son are Windjammer ALL DAY fan's so they are thrilled to do that while my Mom and Daughter and I go to the finer dining options. I also understand RCCL is short staffed, it's everywhere in the service industry, go to any dining establishment in any major city in the US and there are help wanted signs everywhere. 

The DBP is notably very expensive, but once again, an option. I do not drink enough when I'm cruising with my family to need a package. I do not drink really outside of vacations aside from a glass of wine on the occasion with friends or a special event. I know some find value in it while other's do not, know your limits, budget accordingly. 

Prices are going to rise. The industry had 2 years of no profits, they received no money from any governments and still had ships to build, maintain and staff to keep on hand. That was no small matter and understandably they need to build up the bank account. Travel in general is back to pre-pandemic pricing, it's also a busy travel season so prices are high to reflect the demand. I work for an airline and even with my discount, I still paid almost $3k for three tickets to and from Miami for our Spring Break cruise in a few weeks. 

Kids = Illness. That's what I learned with my own kids and working on an airplane with the public. We ALL get sick this time of year, ask any teacher...take your vitamins, wash your hands and sanitize your spaces. I have been carrying Lysol Mini Sprays and wipes since the early 00's to combat travel illness. I also do not like how sticky the surfaces in the cabin are after they clean them, whatever they use leaves a texture that I cannot stand. I wipe down all the hard surfaces immediately and spray all of our doorknobs daily/nightly to keep things fresh, but that's me and probably an undiagnosed mental illness. 😂

Let us all keep in mind that cruising really hasn't been back to operational for all that long post-Covid. They are all still working on rebuilding. I know for our household, we will continue to cruise and yes possibly look over a few things we do not agree with (slow/declined MDR service, once a day cleaning, waiting longer for service items, higher prices, etc) in the understanding that this industry is still in survival mode. I will put up with most anything as long as I can continue to cruise. 

I hope OP can reflect on their experience and find something good from their cruise, even if it's simply they spent 4 days with their loved one and made memories with them. Happy Sailing everyone!! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LINDAE3213 said:

I've done about 25 cruises between royal and celebrity...they serve a purpose but I don't get wow'd anymore.  

It helps that we live in NJ and can  take a vacation via cruise without heading to the airport. We take plenty of land vacations too..monument valley,  san francisco, baseball trips throughout the USA  to balance out cruising.

If we want to get away...I will price out a cruise  vs a land trip (airfare plus airport parking plus  hotel plus rental car if needed and then add in food costs),  and cruising tends to be a lower price even with adding in cruise parking and tips etc or even airfare to fly to a cruise.     I barely drink  a glass of wine per week  so I don't buy a drink package. 

I'm going on Anthem end of this month....totally bored with that ship and it's itinerary...been on it  many times now..probably 4 or 5  .but a week with my sister,  no cooking or cleaning or work at the office and I'm good...going to chill and be grateful.  

This could be a future problem for RCI marketing. @Biker19 mentions how the price of the cruise might affect one's expectations. I do exactly what you stated when evaluating my cruises to include not getting a drink package because those days are long gone, and I want as many years with my wife as possible. I would have to say that if I was given a free cruise, I would not complain about anything. I get what I get. If they want me to cruise again, impress me and I will weigh the total costs against the experience like we do with any vacation. There are limits.

I reserved very good prices for all of my cruises weighing all of the variables. My MDR experiences on the Oasis last September were the first noticeable drops of quality of food but the service was good. The Windjammer food in general was very acceptable and we found something we enjoyed every visit. I am hoping it was a one-off week.

Never going to be a "never again" cruiser but I will not book at the new prices which are almost double what I paid at this time.

I am hoping that recent food postings are growing pains, but we are now about two months into the process and my next cruise is in about 30 days.

Food is subjective but there seems to be too many cruisers complaining about small things that either should not happen in the first place or easy to fix.

One stands out, labeling all of the food presented in the Windjammer.

I do think that up to two appetizers should be allowed at one order. This certainly will not break the bank and should not slow down service.

A little leeway should be provided that one extra entree be allowed per table for two people to split. Very few people order two entrees as I sometimes people watch while waiting for our orders. Certainly, with all of the advertising RCI does concerning the quality of their food, it is counterproductive to generate so many negative posts concerning this policy.

I am a foodie, but I do not demand top notch food on a cruise, just prepare what you have available well and serve it in a reasonable fashion. I know how difficult it is to cook and plate properly. A few plates on my last cruise were inedible (undercooked fish and grisly steak for example). I could order a second entree but the atmosphere was already negative from the first plate. I was not starving; we just made the decision then and there to go to the Windjammer after informing the Reservation area to cancel the rest of our week in MDR. I told them that our waiter could verify that the food was improperly cooked or inedible. That was 2 bad nights out of our first three. No need to complain or get mad and ruin the few special days my wife and I get to be together on vacation.

When I think the quality of food and service in the Windjammer and MDR goes below a certain level of expectation, then, it might affect how many cruises I take each year according to the prices available.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, aimcat said:

So my fiancé and I just went on Indy out of Port Canaveral on the March 6 cruise. This would be my 9th cruise and my fiancé's first, but be both our last. I never thought I would feel like about cruising. I use to think it was the best vacation you could possibly do for the money, but no more. We planned this cruise very spur of the moment as we had to miss the one the month before due to getting Covid. With flights, hotel overnight at port, drink package, and everything else that goes into planning a vacation and cruise we were several thousand dollars into this. We were so excited and ready to have a fantastic week of vacation but it was nothing like that and all we got was literally the FLU and an absolute horrible experience and several thousand dollars feels like it was robbed. So here goes because I guess I want to think I am not the only one who feels this way.....

1. Pricing - we had a balcony room and with taxes and all it was almost 2800 dollars given it was booked 2 weeks prior to departure I just think that this first off is a complete rip off given the quality of rooms, size, etc....

2. Food - our food this trip was the worst I have ever had. We did the main dining, Johnny Rockets, and Buffet. All bland, tasteless, main dining room barely ever had anything on it we liked. NY strip was a sliver of meat, uncharged for lobster now, a cesar salad was a few pieces of lettuce and crouton, desserts were mediocre. 

3. Drinks - we paid 800 bucks for a drink package for 4 nights for us both to literally most of the time get some watered down cocktail and at least 2 times I saw bartenders literally put half a shot in my drink and had to ask for more and say something to them. 

4. Service - service was just so disappointing. Wait staff acted like they could care less even after giving them good tips the first night, at Johnny Rockets we literally sat one day waiting for food even just some fries for 35 mins...when she brought it she plopped it down and took off like dont bother me. Our room attendant had a major attitude as well and just brought us a card told us his name and took off again like dont bother me. Absolutely nothing like it use to be like you were treated like a king and queen...that is over. 

5. Room - our room was filthy - someone had popped apparently a confetti popper prior to us getting there by previous guests and it was still all over the floor, on desk, balcony everywhere. Room attendant came and half way cleaned up after we pointed it out. Our sheets has ripped spots and ragged worn spots in so many places along with just looking like they had been through it for way too long. Our bathroom had mildew spots in places and just looked run down. Def not a room worth 2700 bucks! 

6. Entertainment - lame...our comedian - so lame, the ice show just looked like a D rated high school performance honestly, karaoke was just a bunch of kids singing, never saw a live band on the ship when we were out and about, and missed Grease so couldnt tell you much about that.....

7. Excursions (blue lagoon and coco cay) - I was so excited about Blue Lagoon but it was just a huge disappointment..an almost hour boat ride on a hot smelly boat to go to a tiny island with just mediocre beach with tons of raging kids everywhere?! Coco I wanted to enjoy but was beginning of the end for us due to getting sick

8. CROWDS - OMG I have been on ships 3x the size of this one like Harmony and Symphony and never seen crowds like this one....everywhere a line or crowd, or being herded like cattle into and out of places. Never a chair for all the chair savers, so just move their crap out of the way for them to come back and give you a dirty look. Never a spot in a hot tub. Being herded into and out of areas for shore excursions. 

9. WE GOT THE FLU ON SHIP - Our morning getting off at Coco Cay we both brought up how we both felt unusually tired. So we instantly thought could we have Covid again ( we had just had it 3 weeks prior) and thought surely not. We are both healthy 40 year olds. We had done plenty of WASHY WASHY and hand sanitizing etc. We dont touch our faces or bite nails etc. By 12 at Coco we felt awful....tired, achy, miserable....so we go back to ship.....we go back to room, fall asleep....miss all that useful time to enjoy a good beach...we wake up at about 4 to find we are even worse. We know something is wrong....so we stay IN OUR ROOM all evening....no appetite.....got a pizza brought to room and some drinks which we couldnt really stomach. By the next morning the day of departure we were horrible....chills, sore throat all that....it was all we could do to get to airport and get home that day to find out when we got home and to doctor we were flu positive and STILL trying to get over it all today! 

So there are probably a lot of things I missed in this but in other words I am over cruising....its just not fun and after all we went through on this trip I am done. Just wondering if anyone else feels this way and completely ripped off!? We took a beach trip last August and paid a fraction of the cost including flight, dinners, drinks, activities etc. 

Wondering others likeminded thoughts. 

But what did you think of the play, Mrs Lincoln?

• Haha 14

13 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

and got the FLU

How in the world do they know it was FLU anyway?  Who does...ever.  Unless you give a sample to be tested it can be just a cold, no FLU shot anywhere will protect you from that or Noro.  A chance one takes if you step out your door.  Much ado about nothing, but it's their privilege to gripe.

I don't cruise to eat so that would never deter me.  I cruise for the fantastic feeling we get on the big blue and the fun we have, WE are in control of that, not the cruise line nor any other cruiser.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, aimcat said:

By the next morning the day of departure we were horrible....chills, sore throat all that....it was all we could do to get to airport and get home that day to find out when we got home and to doctor we were flu positive and STILL trying to get over it all today! 

I really hope you wore masks at the airport and on the plane to prevent others from getting infected.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, aimcat said:

So my fiancé and I just went on Indy out of Port Canaveral on the March 6 cruise. This would be my 9th cruise and my fiancé's first, but be both our last. I never thought I would feel like about cruising. I use to think it was the best vacation you could possibly do for the money, but no more. We planned this cruise very spur of the moment as we had to miss the one the month before due to getting Covid. With flights, hotel overnight at port, drink package, and everything else that goes into planning a vacation and cruise we were several thousand dollars into this. We were so excited and ready to have a fantastic week of vacation but it was nothing like that and all we got was literally the FLU and an absolute horrible experience and several thousand dollars feels like it was robbed. So here goes because I guess I want to think I am not the only one who feels this way.....

1. Pricing - we had a balcony room and with taxes and all it was almost 2800 dollars given it was booked 2 weeks prior to departure I just think that this first off is a complete rip off given the quality of rooms, size, etc....

2. Food - our food this trip was the worst I have ever had. We did the main dining, Johnny Rockets, and Buffet. All bland, tasteless, main dining room barely ever had anything on it we liked. NY strip was a sliver of meat, uncharged for lobster now, a cesar salad was a few pieces of lettuce and crouton, desserts were mediocre. 

3. Drinks - we paid 800 bucks for a drink package for 4 nights for us both to literally most of the time get some watered down cocktail and at least 2 times I saw bartenders literally put half a shot in my drink and had to ask for more and say something to them. 

4. Service - service was just so disappointing. Wait staff acted like they could care less even after giving them good tips the first night, at Johnny Rockets we literally sat one day waiting for food even just some fries for 35 mins...when she brought it she plopped it down and took off like dont bother me. Our room attendant had a major attitude as well and just brought us a card told us his name and took off again like dont bother me. Absolutely nothing like it use to be like you were treated like a king and queen...that is over. 

5. Room - our room was filthy - someone had popped apparently a confetti popper prior to us getting there by previous guests and it was still all over the floor, on desk, balcony everywhere. Room attendant came and half way cleaned up after we pointed it out. Our sheets has ripped spots and ragged worn spots in so many places along with just looking like they had been through it for way too long. Our bathroom had mildew spots in places and just looked run down. Def not a room worth 2700 bucks! 

6. Entertainment - lame...our comedian - so lame, the ice show just looked like a D rated high school performance honestly, karaoke was just a bunch of kids singing, never saw a live band on the ship when we were out and about, and missed Grease so couldnt tell you much about that.....

7. Excursions (blue lagoon and coco cay) - I was so excited about Blue Lagoon but it was just a huge disappointment..an almost hour boat ride on a hot smelly boat to go to a tiny island with just mediocre beach with tons of raging kids everywhere?! Coco I wanted to enjoy but was beginning of the end for us due to getting sick

8. CROWDS - OMG I have been on ships 3x the size of this one like Harmony and Symphony and never seen crowds like this one....everywhere a line or crowd, or being herded like cattle into and out of places. Never a chair for all the chair savers, so just move their crap out of the way for them to come back and give you a dirty look. Never a spot in a hot tub. Being herded into and out of areas for shore excursions. 

9. WE GOT THE FLU ON SHIP - Our morning getting off at Coco Cay we both brought up how we both felt unusually tired. So we instantly thought could we have Covid again ( we had just had it 3 weeks prior) and thought surely not. We are both healthy 40 year olds. We had done plenty of WASHY WASHY and hand sanitizing etc. We dont touch our faces or bite nails etc. By 12 at Coco we felt awful....tired, achy, miserable....so we go back to ship.....we go back to room, fall asleep....miss all that useful time to enjoy a good beach...we wake up at about 4 to find we are even worse. We know something is wrong....so we stay IN OUR ROOM all evening....no appetite.....got a pizza brought to room and some drinks which we couldnt really stomach. By the next morning the day of departure we were horrible....chills, sore throat all that....it was all we could do to get to airport and get home that day to find out when we got home and to doctor we were flu positive and STILL trying to get over it all today! 

So there are probably a lot of things I missed in this but in other words I am over cruising....its just not fun and after all we went through on this trip I am done. Just wondering if anyone else feels this way and completely ripped off!? We took a beach trip last August and paid a fraction of the cost including flight, dinners, drinks, activities etc. 

Sorry about your bad experiences.  I can certainly understand your disappointment.

Deleted. Duplicate

Edited by STEVE-O

Sucks that you had a bad cruise.  And in the over 50 cruises we've been on, nothing like that has ever happened (knock on wood).

But if that's the straw that breaks the camel's back, so be it.

Funny about the price, though- that's an insane price to pay for 4 nights.  $300/nt pp in a balcony is way higher than the price we would pay for a JS, and is bordering on an GS limit (depending on the cruise).  We just did 10 night in a GS that was less expensive per night than 4 nights in a tiny balcony.

Let alone $100/nt pp for drinks.   I can't even get through our free 6 a night, so 7 is impossible a day to us.

Still, the faster people decide that they don't want to cruise anymore, the quicker prices will get back to normal, and you can get a last min cruise for a decent deal.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I am over cruising....its just not fun and after all we went through on this trip I am done. Just wondering if anyone else feels this way and completely ripped off!?

We just returned from the Wonder this past weekend and to answer your question about feeling as you do and feeling ripped off, no we don't we had such a great trip all around. Certainly not perfect, but overall a great time with great service, entertainment, food etc.  So much so we booked another cruise on board.  It's a shame that every single part of your cruise was horrible, since your'e done with cruising best of luck with finding that perfect vacation. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Still, the faster people decide that they don't want to cruise anymore, the quicker prices will get back to normal, and you can get a last min cruise for a decent deal.  

Since the covid testing and vaccinations have, for the most part, been rescinded, I think many revenge vacations have been booked "with price not being a concern." Not as much from long-term repeat cruisers as much as new cruisers to RCI.

After this wave is over, how many will keep repeating at the current pricing goals which RCI deems a value?

Ironically, the very unhappy "never cruise again" posts do tend to perplex me. As many have pointed out, except to vent their frustration or unhappiness, it confirms that cruising is not for everyone. 

Less competition for the cabins in the future. 🙂

• Thanks 1