French Onion Soup, help please

fourmile.ranch

Hi folks,

Just off Solstice and fell in love with the French Onion Soup (2 a night, 3 on the final night). Rebooked onboard and the ship is Eclipse. Can I expect to soup to be the same? Honestly this soup is a driving reason for booking! Thanks

PXL_20230318_011625887.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ehall said:

Ask for the recipe.  I've asked for 2 recipes ( an eggplant thing with a miso dressing and a lentil soup).  I was given both the next evening, scaled down for 6 servings.

Not a recipe, It is a mix of some sort for the base. they forgot to dilute one time ..lol

• Haha 1

We love the French Onion Soup and find it very consistent on different Celebrity Ships. Looking forward to  it on our next cruise.  With that said come to Breckenridge - the new French Restaurant on Main Street has the BEST French onion soup we have ever had. The soup and a glass of wine is dinner for us. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fourmile.ranch said:

Hi folks,

Just off Solstice and fell in love with the French Onion Soup (2 a night, 3 on the final night). Rebooked onboard and the ship is Eclipse. Can I expect to soup to be the same? Honestly this soup is a driving reason for booking! Thanks

PXL_20230318_011625887.jpg

There's a support group on all Celebrity ships you might be interrested in going to their meetings.Ask at guest sevices where and when the Friends Of Onion Soup meet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

17 hours ago, fourmile.ranch said:

There was a recipe in the goodie bag we got from the Behind-the-Scenes tour. Can't imagine it would be anywhere near as good!

PXL_20230323_231026953.jpg

This actually looks like a pretty standard French Onion soup recipe.  The key will be to really cook the onions low and slow to really caramelize them.   Also, the better quality (ie rich tasting) the stock, the better the soup.  Give it a go!  They do seem to be missing out the cheese topping.  Don't forget that!

Edited by ehall

I found the Onion soup to be inconsistent at best. Sometime its very, very good while sometime its very, very poor. One time thy forgot to add the onions and cheese. Tuscan Grille at one time had the best Onion soup, It was a cream base rather than water.My wife orders it with double cheese. I usually try it on the first day of the cruise as a sample.

Edited by Orator

My DW loves French Onion Soup and on our last cruise ordered it five out of seven nights. 

She hardly ever eats the cheese or onions just loves the broth all by itself.  If I am lucky and ask quick enough, I might even manage to get a taste every now and then. 

Is the French Onion on Celebrity the same as the one on Royal Caribbean? That one was quite good, except once where it was like someone tossed in a salt shaker. Maybe this will be an unpopular opinion in this thread, but I do prefer the mushroom soup though. If that was offered every night, I would get that instead.