Butler requests in Retreat

KKB

I have seen on NCL boards how some people write a letter for the butler regarding special requests.

We are trying Retreat for the first time on the Beyond Sunday.

We got a good price but it is a splurge for us.

We are pretty low maintenance travelers regarding our steward--we ask for little (egg crate mattress topper is about it!)

But there are certainly things I would love to have provided if that is an option!

Curious--have you done a letter, a list or just verbally share your requests.

Thanks!

Edited by KKB

We verbally tell the Butler what we would like when we first meet him.  Sometimes he remembers.  If not, I speak with him again.  We are low maintenance, mainly just asking for ice, afternoon snacks and iced tea.  Last cruise in a RS he did not even bring ice and after talking with him twice I talked to Retreat Concierge and he improved somewhat.  

Next cruise which is in a RS I may bring a list for him/her as I have paid enough money and should get the few items I request.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KKB said:

I have seen on NCL boards how some people write a letter for the butler regarding special requests.

We are trying Retreat for the first time on the Beyond Sunday.

We got a good price but it is a splurge for us.

We are pretty low maintenance travelers regarding our steward--we ask for little (egg crate mattress topper is about it!)

But there are certainly things I would love to have provided if that is an option!

Curious--have you done a letter, a list or just verbally share your requests.

Thanks!

We just have a short conversation with the Butler on boarding day. They usually take notes.

We are low maintenance too and of all the Butlers we have had over the years, only one provided poor service.

Edited by C-Dragons

We ask very little of the Butler that would require a written list.  Juice in the morning on sea days, ice bucket fill each afternoon.  Everything else is random requests, cheese plate maybe 1 or 2 days, laundry to pick up, broken zipper emergency and for those type of requests we tell him when we see him or call him.  

IMO the ones that make exhaustive lists are just seeing how far they can push it. 

Do have a conversation when you meet on day one. Sometimes if you don't give them anything or any feedback they think something is wrong. I make it clear we too are pretty low maintenance. A snack, a specific drink in the refrigerator, etc. maybe a standing coffee order in the morning is our usual request. 

3 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

IMO the ones that make exhaustive lists are just seeing how far they can push it. 

Do have a conversation when you meet on day one. Sometimes if you don't give them anything or any feedback they think something is wrong. I make it clear we too are pretty low maintenance. A snack, a specific drink in the refrigerator, etc. maybe a standing coffee order in the morning is our usual request. 

I'm not interested in an exhaustive list, but there are some simple things that would enhance our cruise.

I'm thinking a short letter expressing appreciation & our short list. 

That way I don't forget anything & butler will not have to take the time to write down our requests.

1 hour ago, bjahil47 said:

We verbally tell the Butler what we would like when we first meet him.  Sometimes he remembers.  If not, I speak with him again.  We are low maintenance, mainly just asking for ice, afternoon snacks and iced tea.  Last cruise in a RS he did not even bring ice and after talking with him twice I talked to Retreat Concierge and he improved somewhat.  

Next cruise which is in a RS I may bring a list for him/her as I have paid enough money and should get the few items I request.  

Very disappointing the RS butler was so inattentive.  You'd think they'd put one of their best in that spot.

I have never known a Butler to need a written list.  They remember everything.

If you are in a premium suite you will get a call from the Retreat shoreside concierge where you can make your requests.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, KKB said:

I'm not interested in an exhaustive list, but there are some simple things that would enhance our cruise.

I'm thinking a short letter expressing appreciation & our short list. 

That way I don't forget anything & butler will not have to take the time to write down our requests.

You are making it too hard.  Butlers are used to you making a verbal request and them writing it down.  If you give them a list they will simply copy it in their notebook so ALL the requests from ALL their cabins are in the same place.

Your best appreciation is a tip AND a great review.

• Like 5

We sailed the 14 nt Antarctica/South America a couple of months ago.  Our butler, Tony, was awesome.  We were contacted via email by the corporate concierge a week prior to the cruise for our wish list.  Once onboard Tony came by and hand our original list in hand.  We tweaked a couple of small things and he never missed a single thing the entire 2 weeks. 

Our list: 

1)  ice filled morning and late afternoon

2)  coffee and pastries delivered each morning between 6:30 and 7:00, left on our dining room table

3)  instead of the yucky canapes each afternoon, he brought us a fruit/cheese/nut platter and crackers

4)  two blankets left in the living room ready for the cold days (requested early and were there waiting for us when we boarded)

5)  two extra pillows (early request)

I also gave him a printed list of the above along with a printed list of excursion/port plans so he could plan around our schedule.  I also gave our excursion/port plan detail to our room steward so he could plan his cleaning around our schedule.

One perk with our butler, he worked the afternoon tea/appetizer event each afternoon in Michael's club.  I would send him a text when we were heading that way and he would have our favorite drinks ready and waiting at a table for us when he arrived.  He suggested this after we arrived in the club the first day (I never would have asked!).

Like I said, he was a great butler!

• Like 7

I find it easier to have written requests to give the butler and have done so for years. My memory is pretty haphazard and I always seemed to think of things after chatting with them the first day. So I just write them down. We are also low maintenance, but I find that they appreciate it. We list liquor and minibar preferences (when sailing suites where it's included), daily canapes, bed preferences, and any other little extras we'd like. I've seen folks go way overboard over the years in such a list, but I find it helpful so that I'll remember everything.

Edited by dcbiker97

8 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

You are making it too hard.  Butlers are used to you making a verbal request and them writing it down.  If you give them a list they will simply copy it in their notebook so ALL the requests from ALL their cabins are in the same place.

Your best appreciation is a tip AND a great review.

That makes sense--perhaps I just make a list for myself so I don't forget details!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

If you are in a premium suite you will get a call from the Retreat shoreside concierge where you can make your requests.

This is one area where I think Royal Caribbean does it better that Celebrity.  On Royal Caribbean the onboard Suite Concierge reaches out to all suite guest about a week ahead of your sailing not just those in upper suites. 

4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

This is one area where I think Royal Caribbean does it better that Celebrity.  On Royal Caribbean the onboard Suite Concierge reaches out to all suite guest about a week ahead of your sailing not just those in upper suites. 

We have sailed in suites a number of times on Celebrity and have been contacted either by phone or email each time (except once) about a week or two prior to the cruise.

No list for us tho' we ask little. I do request either a cheese plate (no soda crackers!) .or a shrimp cocktail every evening. Ice twice a day. Laundry I just leave the bag on the bed. Occasionally ask for our free pressing (Elite +). Other requests are for room steward...flat pillows, light weight robes and  additional hangers. 

1 minute ago, Jean Genie said:

First time X cruiser staying in a sky suite sailing Saturday.  Should I be worried that I haven’t heard from our concierge via email yet?  

No.  In general Sky Suites are not contacted in advance.

• Thanks 1

When we were on Solstice in early March, I gave our butler a written schedule of our dining reservations so that he was aware of our schedule.  On that same piece of paper I also requested a cheese and cracker plate (no saltines) and daily ice service.  Our butler said that having in writing our schedule as well as our afternoon snack preferences was very helpful in trying to keep it all straight.  Beyond that, no way would I make an extensive list for our butler.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

No.  In general Sky Suites are not contacted in advance.

This seems to be hit & miss. Our 1st sky suite ever is Sunday & we got the email.

Unfortunately it is far from complete & had no box to type in extra requests.

I have made for myself a list to ask our butler so I am not forgetting stuff I would like. We are in a PH on Summit and I can just see myself going brain dead when I walk into this suite. My first suite too, Go big or go home!

Laura

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

I have made for myself a list to ask our butler so I am not forgetting stuff I would like. We are in a PH on Summit and I can just see myself going brain dead when I walk into this suite. My first suite too, Go big or go home!

Laura

This is very smart.  Being in a PH you should receive lots of perks (hopefully).  We were in a RS and felt it was important for our butler to know where we were dining and when, since the specialties are included.

2 hours ago, beachluver9 said:

We have sailed in suites a number of times on Celebrity and have been contacted either by phone or email each time (except once) about a week or two prior to the cruise.

I cannot recall us ever being contacted when we have stayed in a Sky Suite. 

3 hours ago, marieps said:

Very disappointing the RS butler was so inattentive.  You'd think they'd put one of their best in that spot.

I have had great butlers in sky suite and not that great in royal suites, wasn’t that impressed with last two in Royal suites including the one two weeks ago.