Celebrity Summit- how bad are the mattresses?

SPacificbound

We have not sailed with Celebrity since 2015, and I do not remember if the mattresses are any better than Royal Caribbean's, which are hard and uncomfortable.

On Royal we bring on 3 or 4 inch foam pad and the cabin stewards are always happy to take them off our hands when we depart. Just wondering if I need to do the same on the Summit. TIA

I find the mattresses too firm so I ask the steward to place an egg crate foam topper under the sheets. 

Usually one foam topper is enough but on my last cruise the topper seemed very thin, about 1 inch, so asked the steward for another and the bed was then okay for me.

• Like 1

I was last on the Summit in February. I slept well and have no complaints about the mattress. I was on a Royal ship last month (Navigator) and didn't have any complaints there either.

It's definitely YMMV on cruise ship mattresses. Bring what you think you might need. Sleep is important.

We cruised on Summit twice in the past year. The mattress was nice on one trip, but uncomfortable on another. Our cabin attendant was able to locate an egg crate topper that I slept on for the rest of that cruise. It worked well for me. 

On 4/11/2023 at 10:49 AM, Jim_Iain said:

We were on Summit for a B3B in September and found the beds had been updated to the eXhale  Cashmere mattresses.    I found them very comfortable and had no complaints.

oh good to hear.  I am on her again out of Boston in the fall for NE.

BTW have a great cruise I see you have a new thread.  I will follow along

• 4 weeks later...

I am selling on Celebrity for the first time, even though I am diamond on royal Caribbean. However, I cannot sleep on a hard mattress so every time I travel I bring an air bed with me twin size. The stewards are always able to take the mattress off the bed for me so I can put my air mattress down and I sleep very comfortably.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, goshjail said:

I am selling on Celebrity for the first time, even though I am diamond on royal Caribbean. However, I cannot sleep on a hard mattress so every time I travel I bring an air bed with me twin size. The stewards are always able to take the mattress off the bed for me so I can put my air mattress down and I sleep very comfortably.

I have never heard of someone doing this.  Interesting.  When you fly, do you just do the air bed as a checked bag then?  I'm very surprised that someone would choose an air mattress over a traditional mattress. 

The firmer beds like the ones on cruise ships are actually my preference.  I've got an avocado mattress at home and it has done wonders for my sleep quality.

I really need a very soft mattress due to an arthritic back and bony hips.  Do the stewards have egg crates if you ask?  If not, I can bring my own.  Last time I cruised, I stayed in a hotel the night before and the bed was so bad it took two days to loosen up the screaming muscles, after a nearly sleepless night.  I have taken to sleeping in a recliner at home.  EM

On 4/12/2023 at 2:48 PM, SPacificbound said:

Thank you for the responses!

On 4/12/2023 at 3:52 PM, SPacificbound said:

I appreciate the responses!! 

Sorry, there's no turning this thread off!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I really need a very soft mattress due to an arthritic back and bony hips.  Do the stewards have egg crates if you ask?  If not, I can bring my own.  Last time I cruised, I stayed in a hotel the night before and the bed was so bad it took two days to loosen up the screaming muscles, after a nearly sleepless night.  I have taken to sleeping in a recliner at home.  EM

I wouldn't depend on them having the "egg crate" mattress pads, it would probably be best for you to bring your own.

Bad? Where did you get the idea that they are bad. I was on summit last October for 12 nights. Slept wonderfully. Extremely comfortable and I’m picky. I like a firm supportive mattress with a light pillowy top. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

I have never heard of someone doing this.  Interesting.  When you fly, do you just do the air bed as a checked bag then?  I'm very surprised that someone would choose an air mattress over a traditional mattress. 

The firmer beds like the ones on cruise ships are actually my preference.  I've got an avocado mattress at home and it has done wonders for my sleep quality.

When I fly the bed is in my carry on bag.  I have a sleep number bed at home and need a soft mattress to prevent back pain so the inflatable bed works beautifully. 

On 4/11/2023 at 2:07 AM, klaine99 said:

I find the mattresses too firm so I ask the steward to place an egg crate foam topper under the sheets. 

Usually one foam topper is enough but on my last cruise the topper seemed very thin, about 1 inch, so asked the steward for another and the bed was then okay for me.

Had the same issue on the Edge.  We didn’t have this same issue in 2020 so I wonder if Celebrity has new firmer mattresses since them. 

I’m not a fan of them