Overpaid and RCCL says tough luck, you paid too soon.

bentl1

4 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Group rates at a travel agent are pretty rare.  They would need to book a LOT of groups for 26 ships.

No they are not.  Book with any TA associated with a large Host agency / consortium and they will access to groups on better than 80% of all Royal sailings

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 6

On 4/21/2023 at 6:27 PM, poocher said:

Our deposit for suites last year and upcoming  was $250pp for 7 day cruises.

Same for us.  We book suites quite a bit, and the deposit is the same as any other cabin, based on length of cruise.

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You seemed to have completely missed the point.  That is based on length of sailing and not the type of cabin.

image.thumb.png.32efc77f3cd65486cc9eebd862ea040e.png

OMG, we have been charged $900 at the Next Cruise desk when booking a suite.  That was the policy 5 years ago because people were abusing deposits.

Probably the same myth as booking with a TA gets you a group rate.  This is not a debate, the rules have changed.

1 minute ago, steveru621 said:

OMG, we have been charged $900 at the Next Cruise desk when booking a suite.  That was the policy 5 years ago because people were abusing deposits.

Probably the same myth as booking with a TA gets you a group rate.  This is not a debate, the rules have changed.

Well they changed 5 years ago which is how long I've been a TA.  What happened that long ago is irrelevant, and it's definitely not a myth that if you find the right TA you have access to a ton of group rates

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

My TA has had group rates and 10 out of my 12 bookings and the other 2 are very bargain rates for Xmas on the AD for 2023 and 2024 so don't care or need a group rate on those.   These are for balcony cabins

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steveru621 said:

2 hours ago, Pratique said:

I was paying $500 deposits on 7 night suites up through 2018. Then it went to $900.

I was curious, so I just went on the RCCL website and put in a 7-day Harmony cruise in a grand suite.  RCCL is asking me to put down a $500 deposit, not $900, so I am guessing those who are quoting $900 is for a longer cruise.  We had to put down the $900 deposit for a 15-day cruise we recently booked in an interior cabin.

7 hours ago, steveru621 said:

Don't know why you would make this claim. I recently switched to a travel agent who has saved me hundreds of dollars on individual bookings due to his ability to offer group rates. Not every cruise I presented him with has group rates. Every cruise I have booked with him has had group rates, less expensive than cruise line prices. I consider myself fortunate to have found him.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

I was curious, so I just went on the RCCL website and put in a 7-day Harmony cruise in a grand suite.  RCCL is asking me to put down a $500 deposit, not $900, so I am guessing those who are quoting $900 is for a longer cruise.  We had to put down the $900 deposit for a 15-day cruise we recently booked in an interior cabin.

That is interesting. I went back and looked at some of my receipts since 2019. Some of them have $500 deposits for 7 night suites and some have $900 deposits for 7 night suites.

So far this year I only have one cruise booked (suite) and I booked it within final payment so I don't know for sure what the deposit would have been since I had to pay the entire amount immediately but I vaguely recall the RC reservations agent telling me it would have been $500 before she realized we were within the final payment window.

EDIT to add: I think I figured it out, since we were rebooking so many things during the pandemic some of the bookings that were originally 10+ nights ended up being changed to 7 nights but the $900 deposit was already in. That probably explains the discrepancies.

Edited by Pratique
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

Don't know why you would make this claim. I recently switched to a travel agent who has saved me hundreds of dollars on individual bookings due to his ability to offer group rates. Not every cruise I presented him with has group rates. Every cruise I have booked with him has had group rates, less expensive than cruise line prices. I consider myself fortunate to have found him.

Hell, yeah.  😄

• Like 2

3 hours ago, meadowlander said:

We all know that getting group rates cost you money.  😉  😄

I recently booked two cruises with great group rates.  I would have passed if I had to pay the regular rate (and saved money by not booking).  Damn those group rates!  🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 4/26/2023 at 5:22 PM, Pratique said:

EDIT to add: I think I figured it out, since we were rebooking so many things during the pandemic some of the bookings that were originally 10+ nights ended up being changed to 7 nights but the $900 deposit was already in. That probably explains the discrepancies.

I think you figured it out.  That sounds totally plausible.

On 4/26/2023 at 9:04 AM, steveru621 said:

I have never paid more than a $500 deposit on a suite for a 7 day itinerary. 
100% of my booked cruises (non suite) are booked at a group rate.

I admire your conviction, but your statements are false