ALASKA : EDGE or Solstice?

hcat

Asking for friends..

Their choice for a family group of 8 young  seniors  is EDGE from Seattle or Solstice from Vancouver next year MAY,

Their TA  strongly recs Solstice...but said cruising from Vancouver can be  a bit of a hassle logistically.

TA said  that on a recent cruise.(not Alaska)  that using an I phone to book dinner res on EDGE was difficult, demographic was more young and hip...and said she preferred Solstice

We have not been on Solstice in years...and  also cruised from Seattle awhile  ago..it was easy and charming then.not sure how it is now?   We loved Edge!

Any  help or thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you!

For me, a young at heart senior, I would definitely pick Solstice.  So many reasons.  First, cruises from Vancouver have the best itineraries to Alaska.  I don't think it is any more of a hassle than sailing out of Seattle, although prices for hotels a night or two before can be more expensive.  Edge class ships do not have regular balconies except in suites or sunset verandas, which is very important to me.  I have found Edge class ships not as comfortable, and the demographic on the four cruises I've been on E class has definitely been younger, although there were people of all ages.  Solstice also has the nice Sky Lounge at the front of the ship which is wonderful for viewing Alaska scenery.  Edge class has no such venue except outside decks for suite passengers.  I used to love Seattle, but honestly the last time we sailed out of there (granted, awhile ago soon after restart so it may be better now) the city was not doing well.  We stayed near the Space Needle area and I just didn't feel very safe.  Lots of empty streets and homeless.  Not many restaurants open (again, may be better by now).  There are certainly areas in Vancouver I would avoid but overall I would much prefer sailing out of there.

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 3

hcat,

When I looked at the itineraries and thinking about the ships, to me there isn't a clear cut winner and I think it will come down to personal preferences.

I would think that the Edge IV "balcony" design may be ideal for cold weather scenery such as Alaska.

I like the idea of being on a ship that is going to Alaska that has a nice forward observation lounge (Solstice), but I am not sure how much time I would actually spend in there and how much effort has to be invested to get a good seat.

Sailing out of Vancouver is more attractive to me than Seattle.  The Lions Gate Bridge--which Solstice had to be modified to sail under--is pretty cool.  Edge stops at Victoria which I prefer over Icy Point (Solstice).

Is your group planning any significant pre-cruise or post-cruise plans?  That might have an mpact on my recommendation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

Would they consider Millennium from Anchorage to Vancouver? That was amazing 

100% Agree! I would highly recommend selecting an Alaska sailing with the most amount of port time and glacier viewings over the ship. 

Patty 

• Like 1

I will be sailing on the Solstice to Alaska very soon, and it will be my 2nd time sailing on her.  When I read that the Edge was replacing the Solstice for the 2024 Alaska season, I quickly booked a sunset veranda.  My reason for booking the Edge to Alaska was just to experience that class of ship (especially with a sunset veranda).

I think I would agree that for the OP's friends, the Solstice might be a better choice for their Alaska cruise.  Even though I live in the Seattle area, there is something special about sailing the Inside Passage out of Vancouver.  Visiting Icy Strait Point would also be a plus over Victoria. IMO.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Asking for friends..

Their choice for a family group of 8 young  seniors  is EDGE from Seattle or Solstice from Vancouver next year MAY,

Their TA  strongly recs Solstice...but said cruising from Vancouver can be  a bit of a hassle logistically.

TA said  that on a recent cruise.(not Alaska)  that using an I phone to book dinner res on EDGE was difficult, demographic was more young and hip...and said she preferred Solstice

We have not been on Solstice in years...and  also cruised from Seattle awhile  ago..it was easy and charming then.not sure how it is now?   We loved Edge!

Any  help or thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you!

This will be the first time that an Edge class ship will be sailing in Alaska, so no one is able to make a first-hand recommendation based on experience in that region.  I'd think that the infinite verandas would actually be more ideal than a regular veranda sailing in Alaska, but who knows.

When sailing in Alaska, I'd put much more emphasis on the itinerary rather than the ship.  Pick whichever one interests you more.  The ship itself is just icing on the cake in my opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

HC while I really, really LOVE The Edge, for an Alaska sailing I would go with either 1) Millie or 2) Solstice... 

I think they are better suited for this type of sailing... JMO

Good luck with the decision process with them and let us know what they decide...

bon voyage

• Like 2

Thank you all for these thoughtful replies.  I am passing along info and I  will certainly post when they decide.

sad to hear and see TV news about Seattle's decline..hope it comes back!

They will most likely fly from Fla ..but not sure about Alaska Air or Sw Air..which has been funky lately!

Hcat

Solstice over Edge. Vancouver is beautify but would suggest you do a lot of research (CC is good for this under Ports of Call) and have all your ducks in a row before the trip. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by PROCRUISE

I have been to Alaska on Millie out of Vancouver, and also out of Seattle on RCCL. I have another Alaskan cruise booked for next year and I chose Solstice. I love the Sky Lounge (even with a veranda room), and I would rather sail out of Vancouver. 

So I would recommend Solstice over Edge.

Having been on the Millie (Seward to Vancouver) and an Edge class ship recently I would favor the Solstice.  It is nice to be able to go to the front of the ship for viewing.  I favor Vancouver rather than Seattle.  With Seattle, they must stop at Victoria on the way back.  

OMG.  You are a seasoned cruiser and have to ask.  LOL

The youngins will like the Edge and the olduns will say what happened to the old X... with real balconies and real experiences...

So why subject the seniors to the downgrades of E class?

For Alaska OMG,  E Class is the Helen Keller of cruise ships.  If you don't want to see whales spouting then choose E 🙂🙂

If everyone is in a suite then sail E class...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

OMG.  You are a seasoned cruiser and have to ask.  LOL

The youngins will like the Edge and the olduns will say what happened to the old X... with real balconies and real experiences...

So why subject the seniors to the downgrades of E class?

For Alaska OMG,  E Class is the Helen Keller of cruise ships.  If you don't want to see whales spouting then choose E 🙂🙂

If everyone is in a suite then sail E class...

I agree with your assessment for friends' Alaska vacation. I also think dining together will be easier to arrange on Solstice.

We actually have enjoyed  E Class.. we find the experience livelier, with super shows, more dining choices,  great art.  We have been on  EDGE ( 2x.. once in AQ Class% IV,  and once SV with the 4 mdrs).  Most recently we did BEYOND (Retreat).  Booked on ASCENT and APEX. 

We have enjoyed Silho and EQ too and will probably try Connie once again b/c she sails from Tampa..Our fav ship was Mercury so we are not youngins!

• Like 1

Having done Alaska four times now (3x Solstice, 1x Millennium), I think I'm aiming to book EDGE for next year. I simply prefer the more modern interior and split-up dining venues. On Solstice/Millennium I have to book at least Aqua Class to escape the MDR.

However, keep in mind that if you're traveling on the shoulder seasons it will be cold and the weather in Alaska is generally unpredictable. A big part of EDGE is outdoor venues and activities. These will then become rather redundant.

6 hours ago, hcat said:

I agree with your assessment for friends' Alaska vacation. I also think dining together will be easier to arrange on Solstice.

We actually have enjoyed  E Class.. we find the experience livelier, with super shows, more dining choices,  great art.  We have been on  EDGE ( 2x.. once in AQ Class% IV,  and once SV with the 4 mdrs).  Most recently we did BEYOND (Retreat).  Booked on ASCENT and APEX. 

We have enjoyed Silho and EQ too and will probably try Connie once again b/c she sails from Tampa..Our fav ship was Mercury so we are not youngins!

And I agree with your assessment.

Different ships for different folks.  The E class is livelier and I prefer quieter.

My next ship is Millenium and that may end up being my favorite...  

or 

trying out a river cruise this summer ...

Edited by NMTraveller

4 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Why would that be?

they booked  the Solstice and they are all in the MDR..linked dining for 8..

on E class there are 4 mdrs to try  and more specialty  venues to pick from..

We do fine for two of us but it would seem more difficullt to coordinate for a larger group who want to try a variety...One less task!

I think Alaska is where the Infinite Balcony of the E class could pay benefits to people. I know there is a love/hate relationship with this balcony by most X cruisers but on inclement weather days, you can still enjoy wonderful views from your cabin. I would chose the Edge for this sailing.