Number of Drinks Incorrect

Something similar…

On my cruise on Oasis last summer, I kept noticing drinks in the MDR being charged to my account. They were NOT things that we ordered, and were being charged during an earlier seating. 

I went to guest services and they took care of it, but said they were charged using our MDR server’s ID. So clearly he wrote something down wrong. He played dumb when we asked him, but GS said he’d have to sign in to the terminal to order the drink and physically order the drinks. 

When did they start using room numbers instead of the longer folio numbers to charge for on board purchases? Seems to me it’d be harder to mistake an 8 digit number than a 4 digit room number…

Just now, superduper123 said:

Interesting. Other than Royal, I've only been on Celebrity once. And I had the "all included" price, so no counting of drinks required. 😀

Yes, but they have the ability to bill you if you go over a certain price, but I've never heard of them doing that unbeknownst to the person who ordered the drink.

However, Celebrity does seem to bill you for mini bar items incorrectly.

3 hours ago, villager70 said:

Used it again the next night at the sky bar around 1110 pm.I went to guess services and they can put a notification on my Card that when the card  or number  is used  they must check ID.

That's bizarre... when they punch your room number into the POS terminal your picture comes up...  That should have been caught immediately.  

3 minutes ago, mafig said:

Yes, but they have the ability to bill you if you go over a certain price, but I've never heard of them doing that unbeknownst to the person who ordered the drink.

However, Celebrity does seem to bill you for mini bar items incorrectly.

Good to know.

2 hours ago, mafig said:

So you should tell the server to use your Vouchers?

Now if you're in the Suite Lounge do you also need to tell them NOT to use your Diamond vouchers, but to use your Suite vouchers?

There are no suite vouchers.  In the suite lounge during HH there is no charge.  if you are on an Oasis class, beer and wine, is free between 11 and 11.  There are no vouchers used in either case.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, superduper123 said:

That was a problem. They were not taking my seapass, and I was not signing a receipt. The first night, when I ordered a glass of wine, they made note of my cabin number and that was it. 

That is a problem. On Odyssey I was told that I was out of vouchers and was charged for a drink when I knew that I had one left. I keep track by the tip money that I have left to use. There was a charge on my account from the bar in Two70 where I never procured a drink from. Someone either gave a phoney cabin number or a bartender entered it wrong.

A trip to guest services fixed the issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, superduper123 said:

Anyone else have issues with their number of free drinks getting calculated incorrectly? Last month on the Vision, several nights, I was getting "charged" for one or more free drinks in the MDR in error.  So when I go to the Schooner or another bar later, I think I still have free drinks available, but they tell me I've used them all. Not sure how it happened, but it was very frustrating, and I found myself at guest services too many times getting the charges removed. How can this be avoided going forward? I do not get the beverage package, just my five free daily.

Were they charging/giving Free Drink with someone you are traveling/sitting with? Don't think really a common issue, know never happens to me... Just pay atten every time you sign slips, look at free count and save them

1 hour ago, PGHProducer said:

Something similar…

On my cruise on Oasis last summer, I kept noticing drinks in the MDR being charged to my account. They were NOT things that we ordered, and were being charged during an earlier seating. 

I went to guest services and they took care of it, but said they were charged using our MDR server’s ID. So clearly he wrote something down wrong. He played dumb when we asked him, but GS said he’d have to sign in to the terminal to order the drink and physically order the drinks. 

When did they start using room numbers instead of the longer folio numbers to charge for on board purchases? Seems to me it’d be harder to mistake an 8 digit number than a 4 digit room number…

It is also harder for a dishonest passenger to supply a phoney active folio number than a phoney cabin number.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Were they charging/giving Free Drink with someone you are traveling/sitting with? Don't think really a common issue, know never happens to me... Just pay atten every time you sign slips, look at free count and save them

They didn't have me sign anything.

Edited by superduper123

Multiple times on multiple Royal ships I have been charged in the MDR instead of using a voucher. Therefore, I now get a drink and bring it into the dining room to alleviate the problem. Funny story, on my recent Odessey cruise, the waiter asked why I was getting my own drinks and I explained the history. He said it would not be a problem this cruise so just order from the table. I took the bait and ordered a martini, the drink finally came during desert. They brought an apple martini...sigh. The next night I ordered a beer and guess what...they charged me instead of using the voucher. Moral of the story, you want the free drink, stick to the plan, bring a drink with you or don't order one (from the MDR)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Multiple times on multiple Royal ships I have been charged in the MDR instead of using a voucher. Therefore, I now get a drink and bring it into the dining room to alleviate the problem. Funny story, on my recent Odessey cruise, the waiter asked why I was getting my own drinks and I explained the history. He said it would not be a problem this cruise so just order from the table. I took the bait and ordered a martini, the drink finally came during desert. They brought an apple martini...sigh. The next night I ordered a beer and guess what...they charged me instead of using the voucher. Moral of the story, you want the free drink, stick to the plan, bring a drink with you or don't order one (from the MDR)

This seems to be the best, and maybe only solution. The first time it happened, I said something to the waiter the next night, assuming this would resolve the issue. But no such luck, it continued to be a problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

There are no suite vouchers.  In the suite lounge during HH there is no charge.  if you are on an Oasis class, beer and wine, is free between 11 and 11.  There are no vouchers used in either case.

Yes, I know that.  I mis-typed.  What I meant to ask was whether I should, when in the suite lounge, tell the waitperson not to use my Diamond vouchers.  I'm only asking this because I did read of this happening to someone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Why on earth would anyone put how many cruises they sailed on their door?  This takes the art of bragging to a new level.  

I've seen a sign on doors, Warning, we got the drink pkg". So everyone knows the cabin number for free drinks.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, mafig said:

Yes, I know that.  I mis-typed.  What I meant to ask was whether I should, when in the suite lounge, tell the waitperson not to use my Diamond vouchers.  I'm only asking this because I did read of this happening to someone.

Yes you might want to mention that.  The last time I was in a GS and up in the suite lounge they charged my vouchers by mistake

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I can't say it works this way on every ship, but on Harmony and Indy during my last 4 cruises, my D drinks show up in the app as $0.00 almost instantly after using one. That doesn't prevent a mistake, of course, but you can check as you go at least. It's also one of two ways I track them (the other being how much tip $ is left in my pocket).

It worked this way on Anthem as well a couple of months ago. So nice to be able to keep track via the app. We did notice a few times in our favorite bar that we'd been given a drink but no voucher was used.

5 hours ago, superduper123 said:

That was a problem. They were not taking my seapass, and I was not signing a receipt. The first night, when I ordered a glass of wine, they made note of my cabin number and that was it. 

Edited by fpcruiser

3 minutes ago, fpcruiser said:

They charged that to your Diamond drink. If you didn't want it to count against and you want to pay for those, you have to tell them.   So taking them off at Guest Services, you were getting extra free drinks?

Yes, they charged my Diamond drink, in error. I would order a glass of wine at dinner. I check the app later, and see I got "charged" for two diamond drinks in the MDR. I am not sure how they seemed to double charge me several nights. They did not take my seapass card, or have me sign anything.

3 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Is this new since October? I've never gotten a receipt or been told my balance but haven't sailed since then.

In December they made two changes to Diamond drinks. First, instead of the drink count resetting at midnight they changed it to 4:59 a.m. so that you didn't have to hurry and use your vouchers before midnight if you were spending the evening in a lounge. Second, they started giving out printed receipts with the drinks, at the bottom of the receipt it lists the number of free drinks remaining. RC said this was to prevent people from having to go to guest services all the time to complain about their drink total. There was a big thread on it here in CC where the consensus seemed to be it was a trick to get more tips for the bartenders by having you sign a receipt.

On my cruise last month they would sometimes give the receipt and sometimes not, but they almost always told me how many free drinks I had remaining. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

On my cruise last month they would sometimes give the receipt and sometimes not, but they almost always told me how many free drinks I had remaining. 

Thanks, I remember reading about the "signing for D drinks" change before I went on hiatus from CC since I knew I wasn't cruising again until June but the comments about not signing for them made me think maybe it never came to full fruition or was changed back. I guess it's hit or miss now.

• Like 1