The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday May 25th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning all!

We have sunshine again this morning, heading for the low 70's.  The daily weather app for today shows "chance of rain showers", and yet the hourly page shows 0% all day and night...it's been doing this a lot lately. 😉  

My heart breaks for all missing children and their families.  When I worked I brown bagged it most days.  I haven't read the book so still don't really "get" Towel Day.  Maybe I should read the book.

I'll pass on the red wine and meal (not a fan of mushrooms in any form), but would try the drink.  We were in Gibraltar twice on our anniversary cruise in September and October 2019.  The first time we DIY to see the monkeys and the 2nd time we stayed in town and did a little shopping for in-cabin snacks etc.

Yesterday we made our last payment on the Grand Australia coming up in January.  By using AARP and HAL gift cards plus paying it off before June 1, we saved around $8400.  I keep reminding myself of that fact when I think how much this is costing -- 😂

Happy "alternate birthday" Gerry @ger_77!  What a great idea and enjoy your dinner tonight!

Debbie @dfish I know you'll be so happy to get home.  Glad it's all over and that the tumor didn't look suspicious.  Isn't that always the way -- they say you'll be going home "in the morning" and then it takes hours and hours...I hope the doctor shows up pretty soon.

Our first time to Gibraltar in September 2019 we had a gorgeous day.  We walked to the funicular and spent hours watching the monkeys.

Gibraltarfunicular.thumb.jpg.225777db9227e681faed282ac52c213d.jpg

Our ride to the top

Gibraltarview.jpg.0a22c26eb71e270b18cc91b4f18233b2.jpg

The views were spectacular.

Mamaandbaby2.thumb.jpg.342be37059d2520fa692f06315a65764.jpg

I loved seeing the mamas and babies.

monkeyonrail.thumb.jpg.1f341775ff1c665c74199162ed75c948.jpg

2ndtime.jpg.9d14ca0838ccfa6fa403ba2747455b7a.jpg

The second time there in October wasn't great weather.

towelmonkeyforGibraltar.thumb.jpg.2cb6e07bcdcbdc37fd8725a6fef3f073.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thanks all! 
@dfish glad the surgery was a success and hope you can get home soon! 
@ger_77 happy alternative birthday!  With Our DGD, a Christmas Eve baby, we also celebrate when she’s a half, so July 24.  
We visited Gibraltar eons ago, so no digital photos.  

DSC_0192.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I think I'd like to try today's drink of the day; it looks like adult Kool-Aid!  

It sure does! 😁 

6 hours ago, summer slope said:

Purple Haze Martini cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts DeKuyper® Pucker® Grape Schnapps
2 parts Pinnacle® Original Vodka
Splash Sour Mix
Splash Lemon-Lime Soda
Splash Grenadine

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a chilled martini glass.

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 7.26.43 AM.png

I’d try this. Beautiful color! 

• Like 17

I am home!   

The doctor was waiting on a couple tests.  He said I had a lot of scar tissue from the gall bladder surgery and it took over an hour to get through that so they could lift the liver up and get to the adrenal gland.   He also repaired a hernia I didn't know I had.  The best news is that my cortisol levels are normal and I don't have to take steroids.  But I did have the entire Daily behind me so I was sure there would be a positive outcome.  

This surgery is going to take a bit longer to recover from than the parathyroids did.  But, I'll get there!

Thank you to everyone for your prayers, encouragement, and well wishes.   It meant a lot to me.  I love my Daily family.

• Like 38
  • Thanks 8

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

I am home!   

The doctor was waiting on a couple tests.  He said I had a lot of scar tissue from the gall bladder surgery and it took over an hour to get through that so they could lift the liver up and get to the adrenal gland.   He also repaired a hernia I didn't know I had.  The best news is that my cortisol levels are normal and I don't have to take steroids.  But I did have the entire Daily behind me so I was sure there would be a positive outcome.  

This surgery is going to take a bit longer to recover from than the parathyroids did.  But, I'll get there!

Thank you to everyone for your prayers, encouragement, and well wishes.   It meant a lot to me.  I love my Daily family.

Great news!!

• Like 20

23 minutes ago, dfish said:

I am home!   

So glad you are home 👍. Sounds like the operations was very successful 👍. Hopefully tonight you can sleep well - you need to rest to recover.

Take care of yourself please

• Like 20

Welcome Home, Debbie  Sounds like a great result.  I hated those trousers but my brother died from a blood clot after surgery so I understand.  I wish you a great sleep tonight, you've earned it.

Roy

• Like 19

Good early afternoon from a wonderfully dry warm Tucson.  I love early summer in Tucson, my favorite time of year.  Most love the fall or the winter but I love late May and June because usually the wind has died down from spring and the temps are warm and hot but dry.  Late June and July it can be humid if it's an active monsoon season.

Debbie @dfish, so happy to hear your surgery went well and that you are home.  Heal fast and take care.

Gerry @ger_77, Happy Mid-calendar Birthday to you!!  How fun to have a special day separate from your actual birthday since it is already a holiday to celebrate something else.

I loved my 32 day cruise on the Volendam.  It actually didn't feel like 32 days.  I loved the ship, really forgot how much I love the smaller ships, I actually didn't mind being in an inside cabin but don't think I could do a longer cruise without a window.  I loved the ratio of sea days to port days, I prefer sea days with a scattering of port days.  I didn't do as many excursions as I had planned, in Victoria the high tea was cancelled due to lack of participation and I missed Butchart Gardens because I just wasn't up to all the walking after Seattle.  I loved the cooking class in Costa Rica but hated the drive there, I loved the salsa class in Cabo but hated the steps without a handrail, although I discovered a steep ramp instead, which I used both down and up, the resort was beautiful.  I really didn't enjoy Aruba as much as I thought I would but really, really loved Grand Turk--absolutely beautiful.  The Panama Canal was spectacular, of course.  The Alaska segment felt like a totally different ship and feel.  A very different demographic, more children and younger couples.  I'm glad that Craig decided to join me for Alaska, and it was worth changing cabins.  I loved being able to look outside the glass door to the verandah to view the scenery anytime I wanted.  My favorite was the train in Skagway and I really hope to do that tour again without 6 little children in the car, sorry young parents, but it's the truth.  Since we had been to the other ports I wasn't too disappointed that we didn't go ashore in Juneau.  Glacier Bay was beautiful and I am really thankful that we experienced it early in the season, the first time was late in the season.  Of course, there is much more but those are the highlights as they have settled in my mind. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

@dfish Glad you are home and your surgery was successful. Hoping you can rest. 

@ger_77 Happy birthday celebration!  🎂. And wine!  🍷

@kochleffel Paul, is this the Feast of Booths?  Should be good food!  Enjoy! 

My day went sideways…. It began with trying to assist my sister who is in transit today from FL Keys to her VT cabin. She has been pointing contact with the estate lawyer for our cousin who died in March, my sister’s godmother. Apparently our cousin left something to all her cousins (she had no children). Lawyer is trying to send certified letters/ checks? next week. DS needs some help contacting all the cousins to give them a heads up that a signature-required certified letter is coming to them from a law office they never heard of. Thus my morning was diverted. Shopping took double time so I missed yoga but feel like I’ve already had a workout!  

Resting now until Younger granddaughter said she’d call at 5 to discuss something with us- ? 
Older granddaughter and husband still supposed to arrive from NY tomorrow, still lots to do here tonight!  But all good!  M—

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dfish said:

I am home!   

Welcome home, Debbie. Sleep well tonight. 

And yes, the POWER of the Daily is behind you!❤️

• Like 18

Just letting everyone know we made it safely to Ann Arbor about 4:30 pm.  I will read the entire Daily as soon as I can.  We have dinner reservations but several of them went to the market for some beer, wine and goodies right away.  Lisa's flight is delayed and she will be picked up after dinner I hear.  DH and I should sleep well tonight since we have been up since 0 dark thirty!  Talk to you later!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, dfish said:

I am home!   

I'm pleased to hear your op was successful Debbie.

Screenshot_20230525_223052.jpg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Welcome Home, Debbie  Sounds like a great result.  I hated those trousers but my brother died from a blood clot after surgery so I understand.  I wish you a great sleep tonight, you've earned it.

Roy

I'm sorry to hear this Roy.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I looked for Sandi's @StLouisCruisers pictures from Gibraltar, but could not find them.  I went through the March 31, 2022, Daily three times to be sure, and evidently she did post her pictures.  This is what she did post about Gibraltar that day.

I can hardly believe it but today is the first time we have Gibraltar listed on the port of the day spreadsheet!  Seems like we had it already but nope!  Due to the types of cruises we've taken, we've stopped in Gibraltar at least 8 times.  That port has probably only been outnumbered by Rome (Civitavecchia)!  I think I'll wait and let you all post your favorite photos of Gibraltar.  Enjoy the hunt! 

My guess is that she either decided not to post pictures since there we quite a few Dailyites who shared their pictures, or she forgot she had not posted any pictures.

Lenda

Lenda, I did not post photos that day since as I said I wanted to let everyone have the fun of posting their favorite Gibraltar photos instead.  I have too many to choose from.  So many visits there, I wish I could see Tangier sometime instead!

• Like 13

1 hour ago, RMLincoln said:

@dfish Glad you are home and your surgery was successful. Hoping you can rest. 

@ger_77 Happy birthday celebration!  🎂. And wine!  🍷

@kochleffel Paul, is this the Feast of Booths?  Should be good food!  Enjoy! 

My day went sideways…. It began with trying to assist my sister who is in transit today from FL Keys to her VT cabin. She has been pointing contact with the estate lawyer for our cousin who died in March, my sister’s godmother. Apparently our cousin left something to all her cousins (she had no children). Lawyer is trying to send certified letters/ checks? next week. DS needs some help contacting all the cousins to give them a heads up that a signature-required certified letter is coming to them from a law office they never heard of. Thus my morning was diverted. Shopping took double time so I missed yoga but feel like I’ve already had a workout!  

Resting now until Younger granddaughter said she’d call at 5 to discuss something with us- ? 
Older granddaughter and husband still supposed to arrive from NY tomorrow, still lots to do here tonight!  But all good!  M—

Shavuot.

Screenshot_20230525_225739.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 13

@dfishGlad  your surgery went well and that you are home and hopefully can get some rest.

I am taking today to rest although I had to go out to the shelter to sign checks..... the current Board does not have its act together and I am still on the accounts. Otherwise the only thing I have gotten accomplished is dog walking and hanging up the clothes I washed yesterday. Tomorrow I will have to get cracking on more house sorting.

Susan

• Like 18

Thank you for all the kind comments.  I had a lovely nap this afternoon. Could have slept longer, but then I'd be up half the night.  I think I will sleep much better in my own bed.  

Off to heat up some of the chicken soup I made before surgery.  That is what sounded best to me.  With all the bloating I can't eat regular food.  

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad you made it safely to A2.  Enjoy your time with family.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good Evening,  we attended a 5* event this afternoon.  The host shared some news for the grand voyages.  They will be bringing in guest chefs, cooking demonstrations will be back, guest speakers,  more activities,  more Gala nights and more dressy nights.  In all they are trying to bring back as much as they can to make the grand voyages Grand.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

It has been an interesting afternoon.  Our new arbor arrived (the old one blew over last winter after 25 years).  And of course it has to be assembled....DH is working at the Mariner games this week, today and Sunday are his only days off...so of course I thought I could get started on the arbor at least while he was doing some errands that had to be done today. 

I didn't get far.  I'm really NOT good at this, and quickly remembered it took me weeks to put our DD's doll house together when DH was out to sea 40 years ago.  Long story short, he came home to find me on the floor with pieces all around me and nothing put together.  He got some put together before he has to leave again on another errand, but has promised we'll get it done on Sunday.  

The good thing is I think I'm going to love it!

• Like 22

@RMLincoln asked whether it's the Feast of Booths.

No, that's Sukkot, in the fall.

This is the Feast of Weeks. Hebrew lesson: the Torah says to count seven weeks, 49 days, from the second night of Passover, then it's Shavuot. Seven in Hebrew is sheva, and shavua is a week, i.e., 7 days. The plural of shavua is shavuot, understood here to mean "a week of weeks" or seven weeks.

The Torah instructs farmers to bring an offering of the spring grain harvest. In the ancient Near East that would have been barley, but winter rye or winter wheat would also work. Centuries later, rabbis calculated that it was seven weeks from leaving Egypt to receiving the Torah at Sinai, and that's the primary understanding of it today, except in agricultural communities.

The rationale for eating dairy foods is that the Hebrews, upon receiving the Torah, realized that none of their meat was kosher, so could only eat dairy foods that day. That's fanciful, but it's a justification for celebrating with cheese blintzes, cheesecake, or ice cream. For a person who is lactose-intolerant this is not exactly a favorite holiday.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Do you remember the burial service last week, with military honors?

The man next to me at the refreshment table after donating blood was wearing a Navy cap. It turned out that he was part of the honor guard.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 12

🤣 Thank you Paul @kochleffel   We actually have some (very)old Tom Lehrer albums.  He was a very entertaining guy back in the day!  All makes better sense in context.  I can understand it not your favorite feast day, not fun to feel ill!  m—

• Like 4