Luminae, S-Class versus E-Class

Bask

Hello:

Has anyone had recent trips (Retreat cabin) on both E-class and S-class ships? I recently had several s-class trips and was really disappointed with Luminae. The ambiance and staff were great, but the food left a lot to be desired. I understand french restaurants are not known for large portions, but this took it to a new level. For example, one night my fish dish was less than the size of a business card and my wife's lobster tail about the size of a prawn. This was typical across the meals on the various ships. Even ignoring all that, the taste simply was not that good. The good news on the S-class ships, you can easily order from from the MDR when need be, but I understand that has been eliminated on the E-class ships. We just booked a cruise on a E-class ship and are hoping that on the newer ships maybe the Luminae quality is better. Has anyone experienced Lumine on both type ships lately? How do the compare?

We have been on all 3 classes of ships recently in Luminae.  The menus are the same, portion size has gotten a bit smaller.

For the most part the dishes have little taste difference, some chefs use more salt, others use more thyme or other spice.  

When on E class we book more specialty restaurants or dine in the MDR many nights.

• Like 2

I wouldn't count on MDR food being offered in Luminae on E class. There are everyday items or kids menu available as alternatives

Did you just not like the menu items offered or was it not how you normally prepare that menu item?  Luminae food is definitely "inventive" and one shoal die prepared for that 

Sailed in Retreat on Equinox, Solstice, Edge and Apex this year.

I think food quality and presentation in Luminae is, more or less, consistent across the fleet. Luminae ambience on E-class is also better.

Your question is also a subjective one. You will likely get a range of answers.

10 minutes ago, Nado44 said:

Sailed in Retreat on Equinox, Solstice, Edge and Apex this year.

I think food quality and presentation in Luminae is, more or less, consistent across the fleet. Luminae ambience on E-class is also better.

Your question is also a subjective one. You will likely get a range of answers.

After reading your post I decided ambiance is subjective also. We found the Apex Luminae to be very loud and without the more intimate feel of the ones on S or M class. On E class I felt like I was in a big chain restaurant.  Food and service on all three classes were very good though.

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 6

We have sailed on S class, but not on E class, however the layout of the ship makes it easy to order from MDR in Luminae on S class than on E class, where Luminae is several decks above MDR.

For us the portions are more than enough.   I gained 10 lbs on out last cruise and it wasn’t from the buffet.  We only dined in Luminae and Eden Cafe.   No deserts after dinner or lunch except for a cookie or brownie from Eden Cafe.    Using the stairs all of the time didn’t do anything except a little bit of leg exercise.  

I would think it was a good thing for the OP that the portions were small since the taste was not that good. 🤗.   If I didn’t like it why would I want more?🤷‍♂️
But I understand their comment.  The food quality does seem to be going down hill.   If they are giving smaller portions it should be high quality.   Quality over quantity. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 2

We  were lucky to be in a RS on the Edge in March. In January we were in a Celebrity suite. We are done with the Edge. We just don’t like Luminae. On the Reflection we ordered many dinners off the MDR menu. And why do t they print the always available on the Luminae menu. It was like pulling teeth. On the March cruise we ate ( because it was included with a RS every possible meal in a specialty restaurant. Eden, the Petite Chef, Raw on Five and lunch in the Bistro were all great. We are back to the Constellation this Saturday in Greece and next January on the Silhouette. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Treasure Hunter said:

We  were lucky to be in a RS on the Edge in March. In January we were in a Celebrity suite. We are done with the Edge. We just don’t like Luminae. On the Reflection we ordered many dinners off the MDR menu. And why do t they print the always available on the Luminae menu. It was like pulling teeth. On the March cruise we ate ( because it was included with a RS every possible meal in a specialty restaurant. Eden, the Petite Chef, Raw on Five and lunch in the Bistro were all great. We are back to the Constellation this Saturday in Greece and next January on the Silhouette. 

I agree with you 100%. Our situation is DH likes the MDR menu over Luminae. E Class Luminae to me is more like a loud Bistro. I like my cabin center to aft. I will not book any suite above a sky suite on E Class as higher suites are all forward. Friends book Apex for June 2024. We decided to join them. Give E Class one more try.

I wish that X had put Eden forward and Luminae and suites in the aft end. X would have less complaints about no forward views for non suite guest. We could order off the MDR menu. Eden could have had its own kitchen. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

After reading your post I decided ambiance is subjective also. We found the Apex Luminae to be very loud and without the more intimate feel of the ones on S or M class. On E class I felt like I was in a big chain restaurant.  Food and service on all three classes were very good though.

Completely agree with you about the ambiance being better on S & M classes.  E Class Luminae is much bigger.  We were on Apex and apparently Beyond it is even bigger.  It's beginning to look like another Main Dining Room.  On the S class ships it is a much more intimate setting.  

Food is about the same on all of them, but we also agree with @jelayne that we are eating more dinners at specialty restaurants now than in Luminae.  It's REALLY time for some new menus in Luminae.  Service has ALWAYS been wonderful in all of them.

• Like 3

We have sailed in a suite on all of the S class ships except for the Reflection and I believe Reflection has approximately twice as many suites so is there a wait at the 6-6:30 dinner time?  We're sailing B2B soon and would appreciate any info!

On 5/30/2023 at 5:21 PM, phoenix_dream said:

I agree 100%. I was not a fan of Luminae on Edge for all the reasons you describe. 

On 5/30/2023 at 5:21 PM, phoenix_dream said:

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

I agree 100%. I was not a fan of Luminae on Edge for all the reasons you describe. 

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Not surprised with comments re Luminae on E-class.  There are many more suites on that class as compared to M or S class so it would need to support more suite guests dining in there; increased noise and less intimate.

• Like 1

I was recently on Apex and have been on both S and M Class this year. 

To me the sweet spot is the S-Class ships.    While we really enjoyed Luminae on Apex I found that do to the much larger passenger count they food was on more than one occasion only lukewarm.   I've never experienced this on either M or S Class. 

Regarding portions size we have had the opposite and often specifically ask for a small portion size.   The waiters always seem to want to supersize anything.   If you find the portion too small let your waiter know immediately he will bring you another and will speak with the chef so you won't be disappointed for the remainder of the cruise.

On E-Class also you don't have the option of ordering from the MDR menu but if the restaurant isn't too busy the MD will fulfill any request especially if you ask a day in advance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

We have sailed in a suite on all of the S class ships except for the Reflection and I believe Reflection has approximately twice as many suites so is there a wait at the 6-6:30 dinner time?  We're sailing B2B soon and would appreciate any info!

My experience a couple years before the pandemic was that if you asked, they would encourage you to come after 8pm or before 5:30pm.  They were completely unwilling to do a reservation before 8:30pm any night (we kept asking).  We did show up around 7 or 7:30 a few nights and they seated us after a short wait.  Of course, someone is dining at 6pm, so it might be you.  If you crack the code, let us know!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

Not surprised with comments re Luminae on E-class.  There are many more suites on that class as compared to M or S class so it would need to support more suite guests dining in there; increased noise and less intimate.

IMHO they could have designed it differently.  On S class for example there is a dividing wall which helps with the noise and creates a more intimate feel.  I know those were remodeled venues, but they could have designed E class venues similarly. Instead they went for the least costly approach which creates noise and ambiance issues.

• Like 3

We’ve recently sailed in sky suites on Edge and Equinox. We found the Luminae food and service to be quite comparable on both ships. We did enjoy the more intimate feel of Luminae on Equinox, and it was nice being able to easily order a course from the MDR anytime. We also liked the suite layout and balcony size/furniture better on Equinox, even though it was not as elegant as the suite on Edge. We found the Retreat areas, both inside and out, much better on Edge; but again, the intimate feel of the lounge on Equinox is lovely.  Loved both cruises and the Retreat experiences!

• Like 1

So subjective. One persons enjoyment is another persons dissatisfaction. 

Personally, I prefer Luminae on S class ships. Within the last year we have been on Equinox, Beyond, and soon to be Apex.

BREAKDOWN:

Service: equal on both ships. Superb!

Ambiance:  S class, hands down. You never had to wait to be seated. The dining room was warm, inviting, and quiet. (E class wasn't horrific by any means, but the dining room decor feels very 90's new age and cold; we always had to wait to be seated; and, the room had no dividing spaces so it was loud.)

Food: near equal. There were dishes I didn't care for on both ships, however it is never an issue to change it out for something different. I will give a slight edge to S class because I miss the Huevos Rancheros on E class.  (yes I know they are no where near authentic, but I loved that dish all the same)

Portion Size: never an issue on either ship. I always left full. And for the life of me I cannot recall what dish my daughter and fell in love with, but we wanted to share another one and it was so easy ... ask and you shall receive! But I never felt like I had a postage stamp of a protein. 🤷‍♀️

We were on Reflection back in February and had no issue with portion sizes (and, believe me, we eat).

I don't recall a wait for Luminae, and suites were full.  We usually got there around 6:15 or 6:30, though, so I can't speak for anyone showing up right around prime time.

• Thanks 1