The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday June 2nd, 2023

richwmn

3 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Note:  I had to edit out all the emojis from my post today. CC said I was using unacceptable symbols. A first for me. Ever happen to others?  

I had my post frozen once awaiting mods with my emojis - just a few days ago.  I didn’t understand what I did or said wrong.  It was approved fast though.  But, I haven’t been told I have unacceptable symbols (yet)

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Today is my sister's birthday and also our youngest grandson's 8th birthday.  She loves that he was born on her birthday. 

Oh my 🙂   That has a familiar ring to it.  My niece and I share the same birthday (although she is much younger than I 😉)

A very happy birthday to them both

IMG_9960.gif.0b190d011be3624e4b90191e31d83e68.gif

33 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Nothing to report after my appointment this AM. I was going to do errands after, but I have a package coming that requires a signature, and my walking was hard today due to knee pain. I think maybe the yardwork was a bit much.

So very sorry your knee is so troubling 😔 

33 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I went out on the porch when I got home, and the workers yelled that they were done and the water was back on. Now the big hole in the street is being filled in.

Yippee!  So glad the noise is gone and you have your water back 👍 

17 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@kazuglad Ivan is enjoying his toys, sounds like he’s in heaven.  We met a lovely German shepherd that is being fostered, so tempting! 

LOL - he doesn’t think so when I won’t let him bring every inside toy outside 😉.  First dog I’ve had that doesn’t destroy toys - he always answers the door with one in his mouth 😂. I guess he thinks everyone will play fetch with him.

Oh @1ANGELCAT I have no words.  I feel so badly for you losing Ninja so quickly after Fluff 💔. Hard enough to lose a fur baby but two this close? 😞  I had a very difficult time losing Miko and Marley within less than two months.  Your short time is nearly unbearable.  I will pray that you can find the strength for both losses and be able to rejoice down the road in the memories of all the good life you gave them both. 🙏🏻.  I am so very sorry 😢 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

@1ANGELCATEarlier this week you showed a picture of Ninja, looking sad about losing Fluff.  If you believe in the rainbow bridge, know that they knew love, and they loved each other, and are now playing again together, or at least snuggled heart to heart.  My heart goes out to you, as I do really know how that feels. Sending you a majorly BIG hug!

After we lost Irving, I thought there would be a dynamic change in the household, and that one of the remaining 3 would become a force to be reckoned with.  Turned out all 3 of the cats are wimps, but they are more scared of strangers and the unknown than each other. As when we got back from our cruise and all three were hiding behind the bed.

About the cat nip and the mint.  Years ago when I moved south, I decided to add some of the mint growing in my front yard to a glass of iced tea.  Strange flavor though, and my cats started following me around the house.  Yup, it was catnip, and it does not taste that great in a glass of ice tea.  Fresh, they look and smell alike, ....but not quite.

@smitty34877I'm glad to read that your DH is up and about, but tell him to take it easy!  Glad Tana's nurse is keeping an eye on him too.

My boss Lisa called me this morning, gave me all sorts of helpful hints on how to deal with Covid.  When Covid raised it's ugly head in 2020, her family lost 15 out of 27 members to the disease.  She moved this past year with her mother so that they can be closer to the remaining part of their family.

She says it looks like I will be back with AZ Opera starting on the 12th.  And I was also offered a job back in California.  If it's selling I will let them know I will take it.

Life changes hourly around here...that phrase-the only thing constant is change.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Morning all, 💔 Ninja will make a final trip to his beloved vet this afternoon at 2:00. He will join his brothers Socks, Jaguar and sisters Charmer and Fluff. I can’t believe we are losing 2 of them a week apart. 🐾💔

I very sorry for you that Ninja will be crossing the Rainbow Bridge this afternoon, and way too soon after Fluff crossed the bridge.  Fluff, along with Socks, Jaguar, and Charmer will be waiting on other side for Ninja.  I hope the knowledge that you gave Ninja and the others a good, love filled life will be of comfort.  I also hope all the sweet memories of your time together will help.  ((((((AHUGS))))))

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

BTW there was an article last week about emoji's and that seniors were using the wrong ones.  Apparently we don't understand them and have been applying "crude" emoji's without knowing what they mean.  As there was not a tutorial class on them, I guess we have to ask a 12 year old what they all mean.  I did not read the article, as the only ones I send out are hugs, and cats.  And please dont tell me that a smiling cat means something crude......

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Another sunny day here, but it's staying a bit cool at mid 60's.  Not complaining though, I prefer that over mid 80's. 

I don't know any Bubbas, but one of DH's relatives in GA has a store called "Bubba's".  Rocky Road was my dear Dad's favorite ice cream.  I always think of him when I hear of it.  I like my dentist, but wouldn't go so far as loving him.  The quote can be true sometimes.  Will pass on the meal (no polenta OR mushrooms for me LOL), and pass on the red wine.  Would try the drink.  We'll be in Exmouth on the Grand Australia.  After reading Charlene's @cunnorlpost, I think it would be a good port to book a tour.  

Today is my sister's birthday and also our youngest grandson's 8th birthday.  She loves that he was born on her birthday. 

The family will be having dinner out together tonight for DGS's birthday like we did 2 weeks ago for his older brother's birthday.  DH and I will make our stop at Total Wine on the way south, the wine rack is showing too many empty spots. 😉  

Congratulations to David on his retirement @Mr. Boston!

Welcome to the Daily @LuauQueen!

Vanessa @JazzyV That was smart to think of filling those water pitchers last night.

@Nickelpenny Safe travels.

@1ANGELCAT I'm so very sorry to hear that Ninja will be crossing the Rainbow Bridge -- and so soon after your sweet Fluff.  (((hugs)))

Happy birthday to your sister and your youngest grandson.

200w.gif

hbd-happy-birthday.gif

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

And of course, once the weather cools I now have to try making mulled wine with my one cup coffee maker that I never use.🤔

They were selling mulled wine at the mid ship pool on our recent Zaandam sailing.  It was a cold week.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

So now we are scheduled for the B2B 14-Day and 15-Day cruises that make up the 29-Day Collector voyage using our FCC. Why book it that way? We were able to pick a better location for the stateroom we wanted, and actually have better gratuities and benefits compared to booking the 29-Day Collector which is considered only one cruise. The other plus for me is sailing on the Noordam which is the only Vista-class we have not sailed on. I feel it is the "Plus" of working with a good PCC.

Have a greatweekend! Stay Safe!

- Jack

Hmmm - food for thought!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

BTW there was an article last week about emoji's and that seniors were using the wrong ones.  Apparently we don't understand them and have been applying "crude" emoji's without knowing what they mean.  As there was not a tutorial class on them, I guess we have to ask a 12 year old what they all mean.  I did not read the article, as the only ones I send out are hugs, and cats.  And please dont tell me that a smiling cat means something crude......

Ooh! I don't  use emojis but maybe I should start. Just think of how many young people I could amuse, or annoy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 13

New York is not considered Bubba territory, but that doesn't mean that we don't have them. I agree that Rocky Road is better as ice cream than as a highway. I like but don't love my dentist.

The meal would be OK but I'd rather have Roy's alternative. No on the drink, maybe yes on the wine. I haven't even been to Exmouth in Devon.

I'm catering a picnic lunch for a dozen or so volunteers tomorrow, and spent part of the afternoon making vegan wraps. To be clear, vegan wraps are not made from real vegans. The filling is Chickpea of the Sea salad, which gets a slight fish flavor from seaweed. Some of the wraps also have to be gluten-free and I ended up with one that may or may not be. That is, the wrapper was gluten-free but it may have come into contact with one that wasn't.

Orioles.jpg.89626e368b18395dc1badd9d1eb92282.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 6

Ok, Garden Club members, I have a few more entries.  I'm just so excited that stuff is growing in my yard.  Thank goodness Sue is here to keep them alive.

IMG_2366.thumb.jpg.f2e7fdc0dd5c171bcf809b5d4ea405d6.jpg

IMG_2368.thumb.jpg.624e5704bff4a454d3a169c34408e69d.jpg

IMG_2369.thumb.jpg.225e29336192809481495d89f323668c.jpg

And, we did do some test samples of our trim color on the house.  No decision on our part until we see it with the green.  

IMG_2367.thumb.jpg.0f017500ef052e26b5f3ca54a32ae9fc.jpg

But do tell us if you like the orange or the red.

• Like 21

A very late good afternoon.  I finished the mowing before 10 this morning.  The temperature wasn't bad, but I didn't get started as early as I hope and there were more areas of the yard in the sun.   Since the bushes that needed trimming were in the shade, I decided to tackle them, and thought I'd be through by noon or 1 pm at the latest.  I know my back does not like that particular chore, but it usually doesn't bother me until the next to last bush or so.  Today, it started acting up halfway through the first bush.  Even Aspercreme and two Advil did not work too well.  In other words, it took twice as long to do the bushes since I had to stop and rest my back every so often.  Probably should not have done them the same day I mowed.  Finally, they were done, the mess cleaned up and a new layer of mulch put down.  I just hope with our summer temperatures and not as much rain, their growth will slow down for a while.  I got a couple of other outdoor chores done too, but they were easy.  When I finished, I just sat in the port enjoying the breeze before heading to the shower.

8 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all.Today we will need AC. We have not been to the port and will think about the recipe as my group loves mushrooms.

Today things are improving for DH as he could eat something other than toast and jello.The aide for Tana kept an eyeball on him when I zipped up to the store earlier. He is walking on his own now but still a bit wobbly.

Congratulations  to @Mr. Boston' s DH on his retirement! Very exciting!

@JazzyV, Vanessa, sorry about the water shut off. We have the same going on in our neighborhood  with gas lines as well as water pipes.I hope you are feeling better these days.

@kazu ,Jacqui,  We had the same thing happen when I washed Fred 's moose.He searched the entire house and enlisted Tana's  dog in the process.I finally bought a back up moose!

@marshhawk,Annie, I hope Fawn returns soon and that both you and Chuck start to feel better.Your pictures  are just beautiful.

Have a great day everyone!

Terry, I'm glad your DH is improving, walking on his own and beginning to eat something other than jello and toast.  It was nice of the aide to keep an eye on him while helping Tana.  She sounds like a real keeper, and you might consider hog tying her if she tries to leave.  😉

5 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. It was really brisk when the dogs and I walked out this morning.... 38F!!! Right now the clouds are moving in. We did wind up with some showers yesterday. The long term forecast for June is more precip than usual with temps below normal. June is usually our driest month so this is going to be interesting.

Yesterday was sort of a lost day as far as downsizing was concerned. I spent about 3 hours at the college looking at old collections and much to my surprise I was able to help them clear up some issues which really should not have been issues. I just had to explain some of the paper work. Hope that clears up everything for them Then it was on to the shelter to sign checks since they still have not gotten me off of the checking accounts. I went over again what they have to do..... hopefully they get it cleared this week.

I am starting to look at the various tours for the GA as they come up but they are slow being posted. Have signed up for a couple of private tours which I hope I will be able to take. As I am culling though my closets I am realizing how few cruise clothes I now have. Durango is really a jeans and t-shirt town.  And i am having trouble with comfortable shoes.

Of to haul trash out to the dumpster and put some items in the recycle bin for pickup today. Will out on the town tonight..... a trip out to the Bar D for a chuck wagon BBQ and entertainment. Have not been out there a few years and it was always fun in past so I have high hopes.

Susan

Susan, it was good you could help the college out yesterday, but yikes, on the new board dragging their feet on the bank account.  I hope your area does get above normal precipitation.  Enjoy your night out.

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Another sunny day here, but it's staying a bit cool at mid 60's.  Not complaining though, I prefer that over mid 80's. 

I don't know any Bubbas, but one of DH's relatives in GA has a store called "Bubba's".  Rocky Road was my dear Dad's favorite ice cream.  I always think of him when I hear of it.  I like my dentist, but wouldn't go so far as loving him.  The quote can be true sometimes.  Will pass on the meal (no polenta OR mushrooms for me LOL), and pass on the red wine.  Would try the drink.  We'll be in Exmouth on the Grand Australia.  After reading Charlene's @cunnorlpost, I think it would be a good port to book a tour.  

The family will be having dinner out together tonight for DGS's birthday like we did 2 weeks ago for his older brother's birthday.  DH and I will make our stop at Total Wine on the way south, the wine rack is showing too many empty spots. 😉  

Congratulations to David on his retirement @Mr. Boston!

Welcome to the Daily @LuauQueen!

Vanessa @JazzyV That was smart to think of filling those water pitchers last night.

@Nickelpenny Safe travels.

@1ANGELCAT I'm so very sorry to hear that Ninja will be crossing the Rainbow Bridge -- and so soon after your sweet Fluff.  (((hugs)))

Carolyn, please wish your sister and your youngest DGS HAPPY BIRTHDAY for us.  

4 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! I’m late, so for many of you it’s already afternoon. I love polenta, and in fact that was planned for today’s menu anyway. Once you can’t eat anything with gluten in it, it’s amazing how much better the alternate carbs start tasting.

Yesterday was a travel day, and were now on the island for a week or so. The tent caterpillars here are bad, but not horrible. I’m glad I got the nests pruned out of our apple trees - they seem to have escaped damage so far.

Today has turned into our goof off and take it easy day. One string of commitments has ended, and the next hasn’t started yet. The new hammock chair in the shade is scheduled for a good workout!

@dfish I’m glad to hear the surgery went well and you’re feeling better.

@1ANGELCAT I’m so sorry Ninja is crossing the Rainbow Bridge today. Losing two fur babies so close together is heartbreaking.

Now that we’ve made final payment on our Alaska cruise, we’re looking at excursions. We normally go to Alaska early or late season. Reading another thread, it occurred me that cruising in August will not only be crowded on the ship, but also we’ll be facing multiple large ships in most ports and the towns will be swarming like ant hills. And of course it costs more than shoulder season to start with. Since we’re cruising with family, the timing wasn’t our pick. I need to turn my head around and concentrate on the positives of going to Alaska in prime tourist and mosquito season instead of the negatives!

For starters, whatever else, I’ll be aboard a BHB for a week, regardless of anything else! Happy Friday, everyone! 

Enjoy your time on the island and your goof off day.

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

I am so sorry to hear this news, especially on the heels of losing Fluff. (((Hugs)))

Nothing to report after my appointment this AM. I was going to do errands after, but I have a package coming that requires a signature, and my walking was hard today due to knee pain. I think maybe the yardwork was a bit much. If the package comes before 4, I may run to Aldi's for a few things, putting off the big box store until Sunday. I went out on the porch when I got home, and the workers yelled that they were done and the water was back on. Now the big hole in the street is being filled in.

Vanessa, I'm glad your appointment went well, and the water line was replaced by the time you returned home.  I'm sorry your knees are bothering you today.  The last two packages we had to sign for, I guess the UPS driver signed for us.  He just dropped them at the front door.  I was glad I was home when they arrived.

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  My dentist is great, he’s Croatian so has helped me with cruise tour suggestions.  
@LuauQueen welcome, I love caves, DH not so much, lol!  
@Nickelpenny enjoy and let us know!
@1ANGELCAT I am just SO sorry to hear that! 
@Mr. Bostoncongratulations to your DH, David! 
@marshhawk great photos, so beautiful out there,  hope you both feel better soon! 
@kazuglad Ivan is enjoying his toys, sounds like he’s in heaven.  We met a lovely German shepherd that is being fostered, so tempting! 

We had a little one born at the zoo

image.thumb.jpeg.02a53c709a4acde2843a8e37f80f2396.jpeg

I will gladly celebrate Hawaiian donuts, which are actually Portuguese Malasadas! Lillikoi glazed! 

image.thumb.png.ee92198bef4881105ca12a615beeff28.png

IMG_2649.png

Brenda, the little one is so cute.  You made me hungry with the picture of the donuts.

3 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@1ANGELCATEarlier this week you showed a picture of Ninja, looking sad about losing Fluff.  If you believe in the rainbow bridge, know that they knew love, and they loved each other, and are now playing again together, or at least snuggled heart to heart.  My heart goes out to you, as I do really know how that feels. Sending you a majorly BIG hug!

After we lost Irving, I thought there would be a dynamic change in the household, and that one of the remaining 3 would become a force to be reckoned with.  Turned out all 3 of the cats are wimps, but they are more scared of strangers and the unknown than each other. As when we got back from our cruise and all three were hiding behind the bed.

About the cat nip and the mint.  Years ago when I moved south, I decided to add some of the mint growing in my front yard to a glass of iced tea.  Strange flavor though, and my cats started following me around the house.  Yup, it was catnip, and it does not taste that great in a glass of ice tea.  Fresh, they look and smell alike, ....but not quite.

@smitty34877I'm glad to read that your DH is up and about, but tell him to take it easy!  Glad Tana's nurse is keeping an eye on him too.

My boss Lisa called me this morning, gave me all sorts of helpful hints on how to deal with Covid.  When Covid raised it's ugly head in 2020, her family lost 15 out of 27 members to the disease.  She moved this past year with her mother so that they can be closer to the remaining part of their family.

She says it looks like I will be back with AZ Opera starting on the 12th.  And I was also offered a job back in California.  If it's selling I will let them know I will take it.

Life changes hourly around here...that phrase-the only thing constant is change.

Annie, it was nice of your boss to give you some hints about surviving Covid.  I'm sorry she lost so many members of her family to this dreadful virus.  It sounds like your work will pick up soon with some campaigns that you like.

17 minutes ago, dfish said:

Ok, Garden Club members, I have a few more entries.  I'm just so excited that stuff is growing in my yard.  Thank goodness Sue is here to keep them alive.

IMG_2366.thumb.jpg.f2e7fdc0dd5c171bcf809b5d4ea405d6.jpg

IMG_2368.thumb.jpg.624e5704bff4a454d3a169c34408e69d.jpg

IMG_2369.thumb.jpg.225e29336192809481495d89f323668c.jpg

And, we did do some test samples of our trim color on the house.  No decision on our part until we see it with the green.  

IMG_2367.thumb.jpg.0f017500ef052e26b5f3ca54a32ae9fc.jpg

But do tell us if you like the orange or the red.

Debbie, I love the picture of the purple iris.  For what it's worth, my selection of the paint color has changed from cranberry to the orange.  When I heard cranberry, I was picturing a darker, deeper red.  Your sample seems to be more raspberry to me.  However, the computer can make the colors seem different than they really are.  With the dark green and dark brown, I think the orange will work better.   But once you have the other colors, my opinion could change again.  I'm glad you are testing colors.

I think it's wine o'clock now, and a glass is in order while I fix dinner.  We're having the remaining potato salad and baked beans from our smoked rib dinner earlier this week.  I'll be frying some chicken in the air fryer.  That should be an easy dinner to fix after a long day.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

@dfish make sure you test the colours with your actual paint colours, and on the door.    The other colours and location can have a huge impact. Perhaps paint a large square of cardboard,  to try it out on the door.

On my monitor it looks quite bright orange and raspberry.  I know you want it to pop, but you might want to test a more burnt orange and darker cranberry too.   Just my two cents.    

I hate picking paint colours, DS usually helps me!  

• Like 12

We were quite surprised by the colors as well and if we go orange, it will be a deeper orange.  I would like to look for a real cranberry.  This does look like fuschia.  Fuschia is ok and would work, but we wanted cranberry.  

I'll come back with this when we get some of the house painted green.  I think we need that to tell.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I had a friend in high school, who secretly was the magenta bandit. @dfishNo on the pink- I agree with @bennybearI think a darker cranberry would be better.  Too much orange and you will be known as the Halloween house.  But again, wait til you show us the green.  Good luck, now you know why I have only painted my bedroom in the last 20 years.....

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Because this is strangely fun,  some ideas in keeping with food,  eggplant, Chili and cranberry.  Actual,paint colours are in the blog. 

From the Color concierge dot com

14 Best Front Door Colors (& How to Pick Them)

March 3, 2023

IMG_3228.webp

IMG_3227.webp

IMG_3226.webp

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 13