chair flies to upper deck on independence

That spot right in front of the camera is a total wind tunnel.  During a TA and doing laps it would be a solid 40-50mph almost every day for the crossing part of the trip.   That’s why those chairs were blowing without even being sideways which would create a sail effect.  If the winds below by the pool were blowing chairs,

the wind on the track most have been crazy.  

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

ive sailed through a lot of storms, including a force 10, but never saw a chair fly up that high off a deck

https://www.cruisehive.com/chaotic-scenes-on-royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-after-freak-storm/104441

Seen similar happen at least 2 times myself. The little tables Royal use to have on Pool Decks would really get some distance. Most time Crew is quick have Chairs all tied down but not always

There is a video of the storm and  a chair flying onto the lower pool deck.  A family is running towards the door and  LUCKILY carrying their young child.  The chair flies and lands right on the stroller they are dragging, hitting it so  hard it bends the stroller. I've never seen anything like that before.   We've been in some bad weather, but this was super scary to watch. 

M

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

There is a video of the storm and  a chair flying onto the lower pool deck.  A family is running towards the door and  LUCKILY carrying their young child.  The chair flies and lands right on the stroller they are dragging, hitting it so  hard it bends the stroller. I've never seen anything like that before.   We've been in some bad weather, but this was super scary to watch. 

M

OMG I saw that too! I posted it over on the Floataway Lounge thread because it was so scary - the video shows how close it came to Mom and baby. They were so lucky that nothing bad happened (well, not so sure about the stroller)!

image.png.e3e463bb1c4360e3a0e9c370e59f91d8.png

• Like 1

Wow, I'm glad to say I've never seen anything like this in person.  Multiple chairs flying.  One guy being knocked off his feet /sliding along on his knees.  A family duck-walking along holding onto the railing.  That stroller was the worst though; note that the woman just left it and kept going ... can't blame her.

This was  not a surprise storm or unexpected.

Anyone who lives in Florida and has been watching the effects of the heat dome in the central US and the collisions with the numerous low systems have been well aware of the passage of these storm systems for the last two weeks and have a good idea of when the storms will pass through their area.

The ship's crew would also know and expect the storms. The problem would be trying to close the decks in anticipation of the storm's passage when the skies are sunny and the winds calm.

Then the outflow hits followed by storm itself.

I guess the passengers will now pay attention to tropical storm season when booking a cruise.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 12:58 PM, alfaeric said:

That storm must have come up really, really quickly given how many people were still outside. And there was probably no time to tie down the chairs, since it was boarding day. 

No, but anyone paying attention would be able to see it coming.  We always go in when we see a storm coming.  I've seen many people absolutely drenched and completely surprised because they pay no attention to the skies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To add to what BND said in the post about, the entire sequence of events would have happened as follows:

1.  A visible line of black clouds approaching. There would be far off  thunder and lightening also. 

2. It would gradually become darker as the clouds approached.

3. Outflow boundary winds and gusts would hit.

4. Norma Jean from  Minnesota turns to husband Billie Bob and says, " Do you think we should go in?" Billie Bob responds, "Naw, it just afternoon shower that will blow over."

5. All hell breaks loose and people say, "Wow That was a surprise!"

The ship crew knew that the line of storms was approaching; they just gambled they wouldn't be hit by the worst and could avoid the lines at Guest Services complaining that it is perfectly sunny and calm and why were deck chairs and outdoor services curtailed.

Next up, those passengers who are shocked to find that their cabins high and forward or aft can feel motion....

56 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

To add to what BND said in the post about, the entire sequence of events would have happened as follows:

1.  A visible line of black clouds approaching. There would be far off  thunder and lightening also. 

2. It would gradually become darker as the clouds approached.

3. Outflow boundary winds and gusts would hit.

4. Norma Jean from  Minnesota turns to husband Billie Bob and says, " Do you think we should go in?" Billie Bob responds, "Naw, it just afternoon shower that will blow over."

5. All hell breaks loose and people say, "Wow That was a surprise!"

The ship crew knew that the line of storms was approaching; they just gambled they wouldn't be hit by the worst and could avoid the lines at Guest Services complaining that it is perfectly sunny and calm and why were deck chairs and outdoor services curtailed.

Next up, those passengers who are shocked to find that their cabins high and forward or aft can feel motion....

This isn't always true. Storms don't always crawl in with plenty of lead time. They can pop up out of sunny skies in minutes. That's likely what happened here and why they pushed off when they did. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

This isn't always true. Storms don't always crawl in with plenty of lead time. They can pop up out of sunny skies in minutes. That's likely what happened here and why they pushed off when they did. 

Yes, but if you are living here in Florida for the last few weeks, you would have had plenty of  information on the lines of storms would were going to occur each day and the time of the probable passage.

On the Friday that this occurred, I knew when I went to bed on Thursday night that the line would hit my area (central west coast) around 3 AM and would continue diagonally southeast through the state and be on the southeast coast of Florida late Friday afternoon.

The scenario I wrote in my post has been what has been occurring across the state of Florida as different low pressure systems have hit the heat dome and produced the "ring of fire" storms that have been arching across the state.

59 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

This is totally true. They are called microbursts and can give little to no warning.  Because they appear so suddenly, many times they don't even appear on radar.  And...they are most common in the southeast portion of the U.S. during the hot, humid summer months.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rockmom said:

This is totally true. They are called microbursts and can give little to no warning.  Because they appear so suddenly, many times they don't even appear on radar.  And...they are most common in the southeast portion of the U.S. during the hot, humid summer months.  

Again, people, the line of storms with strong gusts of wind were expected as a ring of fire arch off the heat dome.

Watch one of the videos - there is a section of a local meteorologist warning of the passage of the storm line through Brevard County late Friday afternoon.