Alaska Cabin Advise

We are a family of 3 (mom, dad, DD 12) and I am looking at a balcony cabin or the spacious forward facing ocean view cabin.  I am torn as I think my husband and I would like to sit on the balcony and enjoy the view while our daughter sleeps in but the ocean view could be nice for more space and we would be able to enjoy the view from the front of the ship (but we would have to be quiet if the kiddo is still sleeping).  The ocean view is $800 more than the balcony.  For those that have done Alaska were you able to enjoy the balcony with the weather? We have cruised in all cabin types and in the Caribbean and Europe but we have never done Alaska so I thought I would go to the experts before I book.  Thank you!

• Like 1

I'd do the balcony cabin in a heartbeat.  While you sometimes have inclement weather that precludes you using the balcony, if you bundle up a bit sitting out on the balcony in the morning is glorious.

• Like 4

Yes we enjoyed our balcony cabin during Alaska cruise every single day.  It was not that cold as you may think also may be due to the dividers between the cabin to shield the wind.   Best side of the ship for balcony cabins for Alaska cruise is the starboard side IMHO.

Edited by StrikeEagle

If you enjoy using your balcony, get the balcony. You didn't mention a sail date but it can actually be quite warm in the summer. If it rains, it rains, nothing you can do about that.

Agree on balcony, plus with the blackout curtains, someone can be inside sleeping while someone is out on the balcony.  Remember, there's a LOT of daylight during summer in Alaska.  We spent a ton of time out on our balcony when we cruised Alaska.  

I am one who does not like cold.  We cruised Alaska May of 2022 and loved the balcony.   One plus is that I could connect to 5g with my phone while at ports and at least an hour after leaving.   It helped with internet.   We have a balcony booked for Alaska again for next June.

I don't understand why you would even consider the ocean view if it's $800 more than the balcony. Get the balcony. If you have the ocean view, you are forced to sit inside. With the balcony, you'll at least have the option to sit outside.

I just got back from an Alaskan cruise a couple weeks ago - definitely get the balcony. Forward facing ocean view might actually put you at disadvantage, as the ships typically cruise along next to the glacier - so being forward facing, you could potentially miss significant parts of the view. 

When choosing what side of the ship to be on, research your ships direction. for example: Northbound Alaska cruises sail up the coastline through the Inside Passage and along Hubbard Glacier, so your best view of Alaska’s scenic landmasses are likely on the starboard side of the ship. Southbound Alaska cruises are the opposite. They sail down the coast, so the port side of the ship will face the coastline and the starboard side will face the Gulf of Alaska.

9 hours ago, Abby1234 said:

We are a family of 3 (mom, dad, DD 12) and I am looking at a balcony cabin or the spacious forward facing ocean view cabin.  I am torn as I think my husband and I would like to sit on the balcony and enjoy the view while our daughter sleeps in but the ocean view could be nice for more space and we would be able to enjoy the view from the front of the ship (but we would have to be quiet if the kiddo is still sleeping).  The ocean view is $800 more than the balcony.  For those that have done Alaska were you able to enjoy the balcony with the weather? We have cruised in all cabin types and in the Caribbean and Europe but we have never done Alaska so I thought I would go to the experts before I book.  Thank you!

We had a balcony for our Alaska cruise in Sep. Lots of rain and wind, pretty nice to still sit outside and see the sights rather than being like some who are on open decks getting blasted by the weather. Had coffee and continental room service on the balcony most mornings. Flow rider was still up and running a few days.  

A picture says a thousand words: we never needed a coat except at the Glacier. Balcony all the way...and aft is the berries.

Both September, first one Radiance second one Celebrity Solstice:

Foggy Balcony.jpg

Seattle sky line.jpg

Alaska Sunrise.JPG

Edited by BecciBoo

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

Any oceanview fans?

Absolutely!  We would choose OV over a balcony any time, but especially for an AK cruise, where we could appreciate the closer to the water views - sea otters and such - from the cabin, and wide views from upper decks while in transit and in port.

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2023 at 9:36 AM, Abby1234 said:

200% need a balcony. 

We spend several hours a day on our balcony watching for sea life (whales, dolphin) as we cruise Alaska (and we cruise Alaska every year). The sun is out until 10:00 at night (during the summer). And the scenery is breathtaking. And something you won't see peering out at waterlevel from a porthole. 

During the summer, port calls will be shorts and t-shirt weather. Don't think ice and snow, unless you are explicitly going there,,, like a helicopter to a glacier. 

We actually had a slightly bigger aft-facing balcony last year on the Quantum to Alaska

image.png.94e436dbdbfeb92440b6e8166ecf0dc6.png

image.png.6a12702547aa3405005241da3ebd351a.png

image.png.746461d89f8be249ed4ca686487969bd.png

image.png.a03662446e56ae8f129b59d5f4d5372a.png

• Like 1