I thought I wouldn't miss 2x a day room cleaning... I was wrong.

2 hours ago, printingchick said:

I do understand the garbage issue, and I don't travel with kids. They leave so much "junk mail" in the cabin (Diamonds International, On-board Watch Sale, etc.) it can add up. Haven't personally experienced the change to 1X per day yet - will in February - but I don't think it will bother me. I'll request morning, so the cabin is clean for the day. I don't need them to clean it again in the evening. Basically, that's just turn-down service. They will have changed my sheets and towels in the morning. 

We have not experienced all the excess junk mail since the restart.  They aren't even leaving cruise compasses in cabins unless specifically requested.  They also do not change sheets everyday, we have only had them changed once in a 7 day cruise.

• Like 2

***Anti-flame suit on***. I think the solution to this problem 1x vs 2x is to deduct the 1x from the fare and charge extra for those who want 2x, 3x, 4x, etc. as well as a myriad of things such as ice several times a day, slippers, robes, etc etc a fee for each additional service or special request. Not everyone wants 2x a day or more plus all the add ons. 😇

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

***Anti-flame suit on***. I think the solution to this problem 1x vs 2x is to deduct the 1x from the fare and charge extra for those who want 2x, 3x, 4x, etc. as well as a myriad of things such as ice several times a day, slippers, robes, etc etc a fee for each additional service or special request. Not everyone wants 2x a day or more plus all the add ons. 😇

With all the added expense the steward should visit my room 5 times a day.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, cannotfathom said:

With all the added expense the steward should visit my room 5 times a day.

Ok here is what we do....when we first meet our Room Steward we have a "list" of our desires..... Extra set of towels because I have long hair, Ice "all the time", Extra feather pillow for each bed, extra hangers, bathrobes if not already in the closet......we give him/her an a $20 tip right off and then since we know you only get service once a day now we ask for "morning" because we usually shower before getting dressed for the evening.  We try to keep our cabin as neat as possible, less work for our room steward.  We are ALWAYS friendly and speak to our room steward whenever we see him/her and have NEVER had any problems!  Be NICE and FRIENDLY and you reap what you sow!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Aren't the folks still receiving twice daily already paying more?

• Like 1

Guest wenkap
On 7/5/2023 at 2:34 PM, BND said:

LOL People who won't reuse a towel they used once after taking a shower.   What makes it "disgusting"?  Your towel, used on you one time isn't dirty considering you just took a shower.  I'm far from green, but I'm not too superior to reuse a towel once. Just google how often you should wash your towels.  I think you'll be surprised.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/how-often-should-you-wash-your-germ-magnet-of-a-bath-towel/#:~:text=As a general rule%2C launder,re sick to avoid reinfection.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/02/health/washing-towels-how-often-wellness/index.html

Nasty.

Guest wenkap
4 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Stop trying to make 'fetch' happen, it's NOT going to happen! 

Guest wenkap
7 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I've cruised with the new once a day cleaning and can honestly say I really don't miss the 2x daily service. Of course 2x daily was nice while it lasted but once a day is not a deal breaker for me. 

There have been quite a few changes since I first started cruising and I tend to just roll with the punches. 

#pickme

15 hours ago, Kiki and The Noush said:

I do find it disgusting.  Let's assume you took a shower about 20  minutes ago, you're still clean, right?  Now, I want you to run upstairs to the bathroom, drop your drawers, take a wad of toilet paper and rub it really vigorously between your butt cheeks.  Now, take that same wad of toilet paper and rub it all over your  face.  Why not?  It is clean, isn't it?  Yeah.. you do you, and I will continue to use a fresh towel every.single.time.  

A bit graphic.  In my case, I know what part of the towel goes up my arse and what part goes on my face. What are you using, a washcloth to dry yourself after a shower?

• Haha 1

If using the app to request towels, or ice, etc, do you have to wait around the room for someone to bring them like in a hotel?  That will be very frustrating if that is the case. We like fresh towels on vacation for every shower (or they are still wet from the previous shower!). 

On 7/4/2023 at 11:18 AM, Another_Critic said:

Leave the TV remote where I left it ... I don't want it on the bed.  🙄

Omg! What is up with the remote? I now hide it so they don't put it on the bed. Why can they just leave it on the counter by the tv?

On 7/4/2023 at 7:20 PM, lilyhammer said:

...We bought a water package, and the trash cans pretty much fit two empty bottles....

Have you tried crushing them? Take the cap off, crush it straight down and put the cap back on. With the cap back on the bottle stays crushed.

Edited by ReneeFLL

I do miss the twice a day cleaning but have adjusted to once a day. We had evening cleaning and asked for extra towels (accessible cabin so a lot of water can get on floor).  I also take a shower am and pm while cruising.  DH drinks a lot of canned soda so there was an issue with overflowing trash cans.  On our next trip I will be bringing plastic bags for the excess trash.

I am one who found it ironic that just about the same time the gratuities went up the service declined.  And don’t get me started on the new menus!!

Some will say switch cruise lines if unhappy.  Easier said than done.  Royal does have a great loyalty program which we enjoy and do feel we paid for by being loyal (over 70 cruises).  I just hope that Royal does not downgrade the experience too much.  Costs now are too high to be concerned about product when on vacation.  Katherine 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

I do miss the twice a day cleaning but have adjusted to once a day. We had evening cleaning and asked for extra towels (accessible cabin so a lot of water can get on floor).  I also take a shower am and pm while cruising.  DH drinks a lot of canned soda so there was an issue with overflowing trash cans.  On our next trip I will be bringing plastic bags for the excess trash.

I am one who found it ironic that just about the same time the gratuities went up the service declined.  And don’t get me started on the new menus!!

Some will say switch cruise lines if unhappy.  Easier said than done.  Royal does have a great loyalty program which we enjoy and do feel we paid for by being loyal (over 70 cruises).  I just hope that Royal does not downgrade the experience too much.  Costs now are too high to be concerned about product when on vacation.  Katherine 

I feel like you, but we’re most disappointed with the new menu choices themselves as well as the preparation and temperature of the food. Until then we have never eaten in the WJ, so it’s disappointing to us, but not a deal breaker.
The loyalty perks are the main reason we are still cruising Royal, plus we’re comfortable with their ships since we know what we’re getting…… but if they reduce the loyalty perks, that will flip it for us and we’ll jump ship quickly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bayportkat said:

If using the app to request towels, or ice, etc, do you have to wait around the room for someone to bring them like in a hotel?  That will be very frustrating if that is the case. We like fresh towels on vacation for every shower (or they are still wet from the previous shower!). 

Great question but I haven't seen anyone yet say that the app request was actually successful so I'm curious if you'll get an answer.  I called for towels and they never came so I didn't even bother with the app on Explorer.

20 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have only sailed in suites since the change to once a day service, so our upcoming cruise in a balcony will be interesting.  We plan to ask the steward to leave us two sets of towels each when they do their daily cleaning.  If we need anything, we plan to ask them when we see them in the cabin corridor, just like we always have.  I will also bring my barrel to them to empty if it is overflowing.  Once a day service is not an issue for us at all and don't expect it to be a problem.  

This is exactly what I had thought going into this, but there were days where the room steward couldn't be found.  I think it could be the case sometimes that now that they're doing more cabins, they're spread out more and aren't as easy to find.  I also realize, writing this, that he didn't give us a business card with his name/number on it the first day when we met him as we had received on all of our other cruises.  Maybe an oversight?  Or maybe this is gone too?  We've never used it, it felt so intrusive, but now that the housekeeping line and app don't work to get extra towels, it might be handy?

I'm good with clean towels provided once a day.  I guarantee you I'm not replacing my home bath towels once a day.  And we keep our cabin neat - more personal preference.  Everything is put away before we head out for the day.  I laugh when I walk by some cabins and it looks like they've been hit by a tornado.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, zoepipes said:

I'm good with clean towels provided once a day.  I guarantee you I'm not replacing my home bath towels once a day.  And we keep our cabin neat - more personal preference.  Everything is put away before we head out for the day.  I laugh when I walk by some cabins and it looks like they've been hit by a tornado.  

It is amazing.  We peak in when we walk by and some cabins have stuff everywhere.  We've seen open suitcases on the sofa being lived out of, clothes and other items all over the floor and counters.  We're neat.  Everything has a home.  The only things on the counter tends to be power cords.  Even our laptops go back in their bags when we aren't actually using them.  All clothes are hung up or in drawers, shoes in the closet and suitcases are under the bed or next to the wall behind a chair (JS).  I toss papers every day unless it's something we really need like an invite to an event.  

• Like 4

Many times, the Cabin Stewart thanks us for keeping our cabin clean and organized and is happy that our cabin is so easy to maintain.

Had a few Cabin Stewarts invite us to peak inside other cabins to show how messy and disgusting some guests are.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

It is amazing.  We peak in when we walk by and some cabins have stuff everywhere.  We've seen open suitcases on the sofa being lived out of, clothes and other items all over the floor and counters.  We're neat.  Everything has a home.  The only things on the counter tends to be power cords.  Even our laptops go back in their bags when we aren't actually using them.  All clothes are hung up or in drawers, shoes in the closet and suitcases are under the bed or next to the wall behind a chair (JS).  I toss papers every day unless it's something we really need like an invite to an event.  

SAME! First thing we do when we get in the room is unpack, put everything in a home and plug in any chargers neatly. I use the little shelves and magazine rack things for and smaller items that we may need here and there, but otherwise everything is away. suitcase under the bed and dirty clothes either go into a small pile on the floor of the closet or we will use one of the smaller bags we used to bring stuff in. I don't get those rooms that look like a bomb went off

• Like 2