Holland America Line Launches Onboard Credit Offer for AARP Members

LMaxwell

On 7/24/2023 at 11:34 AM, jbecker6469 said:

Following

Definitely also following. Have HAL just booked in October and December 2024.

Oh, now I see it is just for new bookings. Missed by a week!!

Edited by PROCRUISE

46 minutes ago, pirate cruiser said:

We were just told the OBC is for new bookings-it's pretty lame to penalize people with existing bookings especially since we are past final payment.

They are not at all penalizing you.  People who booked a while ago were happy to book under the terms and conditions at the time.  People booking now are doing so under the current terms and conditions which could also change at any time.  Penalizing you would be taking away something that you already have, clearly not the case here.  You are going to get what you paid for without any penalties.  What other folks may be getting does not take anything away from you.  I am in the same position as you and can do nothing about it other than enjoy our next cruise.

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

They are not at all penalizing you.  People who booked a while ago were happy to book under the terms and conditions at the time.  People booking now are doing so under the current terms and conditions which could also change at any time.  Penalizing you would be taking away something that you already have, clearly not the case here.  You are going to get what you paid for without any penalties.  What other folks may be getting does not take anything away from you.  I am in the same position as you and can do nothing about it other than enjoy our next cruise.

You make excellent points. 

I’ve tried twice now to get my AARP number added to My Account.  I’ve been asked to add a picture of my AARP card.  It has been rejected twice.  I’ll have to do some digging to find out why HAL does not like my AARP card.  It has been accepted through the years at numerous hotels, car rental places, etc.  

My Big Box TA was just told by HAL rep that is takes 72 hours after your AARP membership is confirmed by HAL's provider, to populate onto your HAL Mariner number.

Per HAL/AARP 'Terms and Conditions', the OBC is "per stateroom for guests booked".

HAL advised to request credit for one booking at a time.

6 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

I’ve tried twice now to get my AARP number added to My Account.  I’ve been asked to add a picture of my AARP card.  It has been rejected twice.  I’ll have to do some digging to find out why HAL does not like my AARP card.  It has been accepted through the years at numerous hotels, car rental places, etc.  

The issue may be with HAL's provider, not with HAL.

2 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I called twice yesterday and once today and was told all three times that it is for new bookings only. Not sure how some are getting it added to existing. 

I think what is happening is re-faring in cases where it doesn't effect the price of cruise already booked. What I hope to do on Thursday! My other (two) cruises, I wouldn't be able or want to do it, because (1) Vista Suites are essentially sold out, SO or guarantee only depending on the day, and (2) the further out one was booked on the $1 day.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

I still don't get it-we have been given a price-drop without rebooking so why can't we get a new promo-I understand the conditions from the original booking but I would be more likely to be a repeat customer if new offers applied to us also.

20 minutes ago, pirate cruiser said:

I still don't get it-we have been given a price-drop without rebooking... 

When you get a price-drop without rebooking, you really are rebooking (also known as re-faring). You can only do it without losing or changing your perks IF THEY HAVEN'T CHANGED. You also cannot get it if your cabin-class is not sold out, because it really is a new booking as far as the computer is concerned.

I have all this from my PCC; I didn't just make it up!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

When you get a price-drop without rebooking, you really are rebooking (also known as re-faring). You can only do it without losing or changing your perks IF THEY HAVEN'T CHANGED. You also cannot get it if your cabin-class is not sold out, because it really is a new booking as far as the computer is concerned.

That is what I am thinking applies in my situation.  I will follow up here once I get it settled. 

• Like 1

Reply from HAL ( thru our TA) regarding credit for already booked cruises:

“This is only for new bookings made as of yesterday so we would not be able to do this for them. There are no exceptions to the start of the program date. It’s effective from bookings made from July 24th onwards.”

And so it goes…

Be well & Safe travels,

Bob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Regarding requesting the AARP OBC to an existing booking.....

Never hurts to ask it to be applied to a current booking. I had a military OBC added to a current booking after I learned that HAL was offering the military OBC. I booked the cruise almost a year ago, and used SheerID <through HAL> to verify my military status only a few months ago.

Things could be different with how HAL will handle the AARP, or perhaps there is a reason HAL granted my request for the booking made well before I got my military status verified.

I will probably request the AARP OBC in my wife's name in a few days. I am not an AARP member....although at my age I certainly could be!😆

Doug

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Never hurts to ask it to be applied to a current booking. I had a military OBC added to a current booking after I learned that HAL was offering the military OBC. I booked the cruise almost a year ago, and used SheerID <through HAL> to verify my military status only a few months ago.

Things could be different with how HAL will handle the AARP, or perhaps there is a reason HAL granted my request for the booking made well before I got my military status verified.

I will probably request the AARP OBC in my wife's name in a few days. I am not an AARP member....although at my age I certainly could be!😆

Doug

I’m 38 and joined for the gift card deal.  10% off is 10% off, especially since I was able to get 5 years for $45

12 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Doug

I’m 38 and joined for the gift card deal.  10% off is 10% off, especially with the other deals.  

20 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Doug

Yep , I always ask. It is akin to throwing spaghetti and seeing what sticks 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lcand1923 said:

This happened to me as well. Then I realized the name on the AARP card is different. I used the name on the AARP card with my HAL mariners # and I was "Confirmed"

• Like 1

To those that feel it is unfair that a new promo does not apply to existing bookings (I have multiple cruises booked and will miss out too)….

a few years ago I asked a TA that handled my all inclusive vacation if I could get a refund for the difference when my booked package dropped in price on their website. The reply- we don’t charge you more if the price goes up after you book, do we?

Logically, if you cancel and rebook you can get the new OBC offer but you have to pay today’s price;  the same as anyone else who is booking today would pay when they get the OBC offer. For that reason it is totally fair that it only applies to new bookings. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prescottbob said:

“This is only for new bookings made as of yesterday so we would not be able to do this for them. There are no exceptions to the start of the program date. It’s effective from bookings made from July 24th onwards.”

And so it goes…

Be well & Safe travels,

Bob

And we shall all enjoy an OBC of up to $200 on the future bookings we make!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

You also cannot get it if your cabin-class is not sold out, because it really is a new booking as far as the computer is concerned.

That was supposed to be "if your cabin-class is NOW sold out". What a difference a letter can make!

To explain this: If your category stateroom is sold out, and you were to re-fare, then in that instant of cancellation, the room would be available to anyone waitlisted. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

That was supposed to be "if your cabin-class is NOW sold out". What a difference a letter can make!

To explain this: If your category stateroom is sold out, and you were to re-fare, then in that instant of cancellation, the room would be available to anyone waitlisted. 

It was clear in your original comment that you meant “now” sold out. 😊

But the reason why you can’t re-fare in those circumstances is that there is no price drop to see — the cabin category is sold out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, prescottbob said:

And so it goes…

Be well & Safe travels,

Bob

We made two bookings yesterday @prescottbobat the same time the PR released - waiting patiently to affirm we ge the bonuses!