Celebrity vs Princess ... Premium Drinks Packages

gardengalaz

Hi, Everyone!

I just watched a video about the new packages that Princess is offering and something VERY interesting caught my attention.  On our next Celebrity cruise, our premium drinks packages is costing $109 per person per day (drinks up to $17 each) -- yet Princess' new Premier package includes premium beverages (drinks up to $20 each) and MUCH more (wifi, tips, specialty dining, exercise classes) and their entire package is $80 per person per day!!  So do you think Celebrity will do something similar and give us more for our money (HA!!), or is Princess more likely to see how wildly under-priced their package is and adjust accordingly??

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 11.31.53 AM.png

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gardengalaz said:

Hi, Everyone!

I just watched a video about the new packages that Princess is offering and something VERY interesting caught my attention.  On our next Celebrity cruise, our premium drinks packages is costing $109 per person per day (drinks up to $17 each) -- yet Princess' new Premier package includes premium beverages (drinks up to $20 each) and MUCH more (wifi, tips, specialty dining, exercise classes) and their entire package is $80 per person per day!!  So do you think Celebrity will do something similar and give us more for our money (HA!!), or is Princess more likely to see how wildly under-priced their package is and adjust accordingly??

My Magic 8 Ball says, "very doubtful". 

13 minutes ago, gardengalaz said:

Hi, Everyone!

This is one of the incentives that swayed my decision to booked with Princess. Got a traditional (small) balcony on a brand new ship The Sun in Europe, many more premium perks, and its $2558 less than the Ascent with basic perks compared to similar itineraries and mid ship stateroom. 

Patty 

• Like 2

Premium is a lot of fluff IMO. Plus is $60 per day and probably the better value proposition. Juice bar, unlimited desserts, fitness classes, 'prizes', reserved seating, photo package, etc. are all pretty worthless to me. You are limited to 15 drinks per day. If you are a heavy drinker that may not be that difficult to surpass. 

30 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Premium is a lot of fluff IMO. Plus is $60 per day and probably the better value proposition. Juice bar, unlimited desserts, fitness classes, 'prizes', reserved seating, photo package, etc. are all pretty worthless to me. You are limited to 15 drinks per day. If you are a heavy drinker that may not be that difficult to surpass. 

I agree there is a lot of fluff but I found premium to still be of value because of the Multiple Wifi devices, 2 Specialty Dining per person and the unlimited casual dining ~ those are now $15 minimum per meal.

Am I understanding this right?  

15 drinks per day is plenty! 😜

Patty 

Edited by cw2go

2 hours ago, gardengalaz said:

Hi, Everyone!

More importantly, you don't need the Premium version on Princess- we were just on our first cruise with them and somehow got "upgraded" to Premium for free, but I only think we ordered 2 or 3 drinks over the $15 limit of their $60 package, which included tips, wifi (1 device pp), 2 exercise classes and 2 of the ridiculous sundaes. 

45 minutes ago, InTheDrink said:

But did it include unlimited Casual dining that is now being charged @$15 per meal and 2 specialty meals per pax? 

Making sure I understand my plan.

Patty 

We usually do Premium drinks on X but had the Plus on a recent Princess cruise. The wine was decent and Hendricks gin was on the Plus. We were told we could pay the difference for more expensive drinks but never needed to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cw2go said:

This is one of the incentives that swayed my decision to booked with Princess. Got a traditional (small) balcony on a brand new ship The Sun in Europe, many more premium perks, and its $2558 less than the Ascent with basic perks compared to similar itineraries and mid ship stateroom. 

Patty 

I also booked a Princess cruise today for January 2024. Was on the Sky this past January. I turned Elite plus on my 15 night TA on the Apex this past May and haven't even used the perks although I'll be on the Silhouette in November. Just finding Celebrity can't compete on pricing on several itineraries.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

What is Casual dining ? 

Princess pretty much gutted included dining outside of the MDR and buffet.  Now everything is a la cart or you need to upgrade to a $60 or $80 pp/pd bundled extras package to have it included. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I also booked a Princess cruise today for January 2024. Was on the Sky this past January. I turned Elite plus on my 15 night TA on the Apex this past May and haven't even used the perks although I'll be on the Silhouette in November. Just finding Celebrity can't compete on pricing on several itineraries.  

Did you opt for the Plus or Premium package? My sailing is a longs ways off so I assume the beverages on board will only go up in price. I felt like the premium package for us was well worth the cost for the dining options and wifi alone. 

Patty 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Princess pretty much gutted included dining outside of the MDR and buffet.  Now everything is a la cart or you need to upgrade to a $60 or $80 pp/pd bundled extras package to have it included. 

Still have burgers and pizza on deck plus International Cafe so imo very similar to Celebrity. 

Patty 

8 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The loss of included (yummy delicious) Alfredo's (and more) really has Princess passengers up in arms. As with the recent changes on Celebrity, I'm seeing lots of comments about loss of trust, "bait and switch," and devaluing the product while charging more. 

I do not understand the business decision to tick off repeat customers, but clearly the C-Suite folks at both lines feel it is a superb idea. When news of the changes at Princess first came about, my first thought was: well, they saw what Celebrity has been doing, and getter away with, so they may as well follow suit. 

I appreciate this thread. I had only been looking at the chages at Princess in terms of Princess. The comparison to the beverage packages on X gives me another metric to consider. Thanks, @gardengalaz.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Did you opt for the Plus or Premium package? My sailing is a longs ways off so I assume the beverages on board will only go up in price. I felt like the premium package for us was well worth the cost for the dining options and wifi alone. 

Patty 

I did not although thought about it but didn't make financial sense for me. The basic package is $60 per day which includes wifi, drinks and gratuities. I get wifi at half off with my status and will pay for the gratuities.  I bring my own wine from cabin to dinner so no issue there. If I want a cocktail or Martini its still cheaper to pay for it.  No interest in fitness classes or specialty dining. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cw2go said:

Patty 

We booked on the Sun Princess for November 2024 a few weeks ago and the Premium package was a no-brainer for us. We both like our cocktails and beers, we both are techies who love our phones and tablets so the included wifi is very useful, I definitely see us using the delivery anywhere on ship feature, we'll appreciate the included specialty dining meals, and having crew tips also covered all combined together for ~80/person/day felt well worth it.

I feel sympathy for those with cruises coming up who are now facing reduced free dining options. Yet another sign that all cruise lines are looking for ways to wring more money out of us, it's just a question of who is doing it in the least objectionable way. Because of our initial booking choices we're insulated from this (unlike the recent Celebrity changes). It'll be interesting to see how each of our cruises will go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

This package is a lot more than Celebrity offers.  Celebrity charges for room service and have you seen how much Celebrity charges for specialty dining?

Starting this coming week, Princess will be charging for room service delivery 24/7 except continental breakfast via door hanger thingy..  unless one has booked either the Plus or Premier Cruise Package..  

Without a package, It's $5 per order on Princess, if ordered by room phone.  If ordered in the app, it's free - once you e paid the one-off Ocean Now activation fee.

Both the delivery charge and activation fee are "included" or covered or whatever you want to call it by the 2 Cruise Packages...

And, no gratuity/service charge on the delivery charge on Princess....

These changes were announced last week and start rolling out this week. Schedule is on Princess website for start date for each ship..

Basically, now through the 14th or so... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gardengalaz said:

Hi, Everyone!

As an aside - you're comparing the above Premier Cruise 3to Celebrity's stand-alone Premium drink package 

If you were to buy the stand-alone Premier beverage package on Princess, which is an option for those who book the Standard no frills no package fare, it costs $84.99+18% or $100.03 per night. Covers drinks up to $20usd. And is limited to 15 alcoholic drinks a day, while non-alcoholic is unlimited.

At least Celebrity's packages are unlimited...

The "deal" of the Cruise Packages is that the bundled pricing "saves" money versus buying a la carte. The Plus beverage package is $64.99-18% gratuity stand-alone versus $60 per night for the Plus Cruise Package.

And now they're "more" of a deal with the casual dining, as they're finally adding a charge (back) to Alfredo's. (It was. $10 cover charge to dine there in 2014 when Regal launched, until Princess diehards complained so much they removed the cover). There was also a $3 room service delivery charge instituted then that was rescinded quite rapidly after the outcry..  this time, pretty sure it's here to stay.. 

The catch being - while on Princess, you can buy beverage packages on their own and there's no requirement for all adults or persons in a cabin to buy a beverage package or none can; with their bundled Cruise Packages, the first 2 passengers must buy the same package or none can. So, for some, it does make sense to book Standard and just one person get a beverage package, buy WiFi independently with their CC discount, etc. 

Loads of discussion on value, blah blah blah.. lime in Celebrity, or RCCL or NCL or whatnot - each person need to do the math for their own situation and decide for themselves.

On Princess, we always get the Plus since it was introduced.. on Celebrity, we may or may not do the All-In, depending on pricing and itinerary..  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mafig said:

I haven't cruised on Princess for many years.  

However, now it looks like I should check them out!

I’m on Princess, sailing in less than 3 weeks, and I’ve just discovered that I’ll need to upgrade my previously purchased package to obtain all the changes that were once included! I’m now totally excluded from a dining venue unless I pay the upgrade and I can’t use the Medallion for ordering unless I pay extra. So, all the cruise lines are doing the same. 

5 hours ago, villauk said:

I’m on Princess, sailing in less than 3 weeks, and I’ve just discovered that I’ll need to upgrade my previously purchased package to obtain all the changes that were once included! I’m now totally excluded from a dining venue unless I pay the upgrade and I can’t use the Medallion for ordering unless I pay extra. So, all the cruise lines are doing the same. 

Yep.  These packages are ridiculous, and their handling of them are terrible.

• Thanks 1