Ruby Princess prices less than others ships.

Jayl1965

I’m thinking of booking a 10 day Panama Canal partial cruise on the Ruby Princess in December out of Fort Lauderdale. The cruise fares are substantially less than other ships. I’m concerned about the reasoning for this. Is the ship and staff up to the same standard as the rest of the Princess fleet? I know it’s going into dry dock before the cruise date. Any insights would be helpful. Thanks

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jayl1965 said:

I’m thinking of booking a 10 day Panama Canal partial cruise on the Ruby Princess in December out of Fort Lauderdale. The cruise fares are substantially less than other ships. I’m concerned about the reasoning for this. Is the ship and staff up to the same standard as the rest of the Princess fleet? I know it’s going into dry dock before the cruise date. Any insights would be helpful. Thanks

Are you comparing prices on the other ships for about the same date you have on the Ruby?

December cruising before the holiday period is usually very slow and prices for all itineraries on all the Princess ships are usually lower at that time.

• Like 1

Partial transit Panama Canal cruises have always priced less than other sailings.  Not sure the reason why.  Perhaps most want to complete the full transit?  I would be weary of booking a Panama Canal cruise because of the logistics right now.  The drought in Panama means less ships transiting and a backup of ships waiting to transit.  Not sure where cruise ships lie in the line.  Would be afraid of transit being cancelled altogether and it just being a Caribbean cruise.

Edited by SCX22

I remember answering a similar question addressed a month ago:

The gist is that this is because of the itinerary -- to the Panama Canal. Port fees are substantially higher for this itinerary, so if they want to appeal to a more budget-conscious premium-preferring audience, this is the way to go. It's been how Princess rolls with the partial transit cruises. It's different than what HAL and Celebrity charge for their partial transits, so it's not apples-to-apples if you compare it with theirs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Partial transit Panama Canal cruises have always priced less than other sailings.  Not sure the reason why.  Perhaps most want to complete the full transit?  I would be weary of booking a Panama Canal cruise because of the logistics right now.  The drought in Panama means less ships transiting and a backup of ships waiting to transit.  Not sure where cruise ships lie in the line.  Would be afraid of transit being cancelled altogether and it just being a Caribbean cruise.

You’ve brought up an interesting point.  It has been on the news recently about the low water levels, due to climate change in the Panama Canal.  The wait time for ships to get through can be 3 weeks now.

Not sure how this will impact Cruise lines now.  Something to watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Not sure how this will impact Cruise lines now.  Something to watch.

Likely not in the slightest.  Cruise ships pay a boatload more for a reserved transit time, and a daylight transit.  The Canal Authority is more than willing to take that money over a ship that doesn't have a reserved slot.  The most that could happen is a raise in the transit tariff, which might scare off some cruise traffic.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

RCCL cancelled all partial Panama Canal transits for the Rhapsody of the Seas for the 23-24 season; instead the affected cruises will be Southern Caribbean only.  Not sure if this was done out of an abundance of caution.

5 hours ago, SCX22 said:

A visit to the Panama Canal board here under Ports of Call would refute that.

16 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

RCCL cancelled all partial Panama Canal transits for the Rhapsody of the Seas for the 23-24 season; instead the affected cruises will be Southern Caribbean only.  Not sure if this was done out of an abundance of caution.

it’s been suggested they cancelled those cruises because of lack of interest/soft bookings.  EM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Likely not in the slightest.  Cruise ships pay a boatload more for a reserved transit time, and a daylight transit.  The Canal Authority is more than willing to take that money over a ship that doesn't have a reserved slot.  The most that could happen is a raise in the transit tariff, which might scare off some cruise traffic.

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Which ships are you comparing the Ruby to?  Same itinerary?  Island or Coral (always more expensive).  Full transit?  

Why is Coral more expensive and is that true for her itineraries in all parts of the world? Thanks

I just booked the Ruby in February for this exact reason. Great price point and will do a locks excursion to get a close-up view. Going to enjoy the other ports as well.  Have sailed the caribbean many times and these will be new ports for me. I looked at lots of cruises and Princess offers the best combination for me right now. Booked 3 cruises for 2024 to replace one European river cruise.  

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 10:15 PM, Jayl1965 said:

As someone who recently disembarked on the Ruby, the ship looked fine - I have seen other ships with ripped furniture and overly worn carpeting.  Further, you could only wish for a staff as great as on the Ruby.  For the almost 20 yrs of traveling on princess, this was the best crew ever.  This crew was also the happiest we have ever seen.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, thinfool said:

Compared to the junky Royal class ships it is a top notch choice.

That's a little harsh. 

We've spent many cruises on Royal class ships & could never classify them that badly. 

Could the price be affected by the fact that Ruby Princess will transit the new locks and Coral Princess (a Panamax design) will transit the historic locks?  I've always noticed that there might be low prices for a Panama Canal cruise, but the taxes and port fees are huge.

Edited by Abercrombie2019

1 hour ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Could the price be affected by the fact that Ruby Princess will transit the new locks and Coral Princess (a Panamax design) will transit the historic locks?  I've always noticed that there might be low prices for a Panama Canal cruise, but the taxes and port fees are huge.

Actually, the tariff for the new locks is higher than the old locks, so the port taxes and fees would be higher.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

That's a little harsh. 

We've spent many cruises on Royal class ships & could never classify them that badly. 

I agree. We love the Royal class ships too.  They are just different, just depends what you like.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, the tariff for the new locks is higher than the old locks, so the port taxes and fees would be higher.

chump change ... P can charge more for island and coral because they can still go thru the old locks - small ships, nostalgia, island changes not withstanding ... and Coral still has? the best show on Princess - On the Bayou in the Universe Lounge

32 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I agree. We love the Royal class ships too.  They are just different, just depends what you like.

We haven't been on the Ruby since 2009, sailing mostly Royal class ships, so this should be an experience returning back to a grand class ship. 

18 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

For those that have done both which do you prefer please? Trying to get ideas for my 60th in a couple of years. Thank you.