Did those stairs trouble you in the Crown Loft Suite?

mafig

We just booked our first Crown Loft Suite on Symphony ~ most people seem to love them, but a few do not like those stairs.

Tell me about your experience with the stairs.  Did you lug your heavy suite cases up the stairs, to unpack and put them under the bed, or did you do something else.  

Would y ou book another L1 again.

Any tips.  (we did book one on the side.)

• Like 1

Been there, done that. Unless you have a physical impairment that affects going up and down stairs you will be fine!  At worst, you unpack on the main floor and move stuff up the stairs by hand.  In addition, the 2 story unit feels so much bigger and being able to look out the window from the bed is great (there is a curtain there as well). The only issue is if you are traveling as a unit bigger than a couple but even then you are probably fine. 

• Like 2

Stairs itself did not bother us, we tend to take the stairs from deck to deck anyway.  But was not into dragging heavy suitcases up those stairs inside the CLS. 

So...like others....we mostly unpacked downstairs then walked up the stairs with handfuls of toiletries, clothes, etc.  

To pack back up on the last day...it was raining clothes over the rail.  😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, mafig said:

We just booked our first Crown Loft Suite on Symphony ~ most people seem to love them, but a few do not like those stairs.

Tell me about your experience with the stairs.  Did you lug your heavy suite cases up the stairs, to unpack and put them under the bed, or did you do something else.  

DW has two bad knees and uses a walker, and I have one bad one and a trick hip and use a cane. We have never had any difficulty with the stairs in a CLS. I believe there is a simple reason why (at least for us) - a regular set of stairs typically has a 10 inch tread and an 8 inch rise. The steps in a CLS have a 3-4 inch wider tread  and a 2-3 inch shorter rise. So instead of climbing up the stairs, it feels more like walking up a lumpy ramp. 

DW uses the downstairs closet, and I use the one on the second floor, and we always unpack downstairs.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, mafig said:

We had no issues with the stairs in a CLS.  Our cabin steward offered to carry the bags up and down for us.  My DH actually carried one and the steward the other.  I know there is an accessible CLS on Oasis, not sure if the other Oasis class ships have one.  There is an elevator in the cabin and the bathroom on the first level is fully accessible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mafig said:

We had a terrible time with the stairs and wouldn't book this cabin again for several reasons..  First problem was the room attendants were not on duty when our luggage arrived so you have to lug all that luggage up MANY stairs.  Same with going home. Also a problem for me,  the bed is right next to the glass wall thing that is the second floor. railing.  I was scared to death I would go over it at night in my sleep.  You could trip on the step down landing to walk down the stairs.  It's also hot on the second floor..heat rises!  The balcony was narrow and basically all it holds is two loungers and a small table. If you have any knee problems or disability it's not for you.  There is ONE Crown Loft Suite that has an elevator for disabled so if you had that cabin, that would avoid the stairs issue.  I would prefer an Owners suite to a CLS.  

• Like 3

We enjoyed the feeling of space that the 2 stories give.  I thought the balcony was fine.  I did however, get frustrated.  It seemed that no matter what I wanted it was on the other floor.  I can’t remember which ship, but we loved the large walk-in shower.  I believe some newer ships have a tub instead.

• Like 3

DH and I love the crown loft (at least on Oasis, haven't been in one on another ship).  We don't love the stairs (I have trouble getting up and down stairs though these have a nice railing), but find the overall cabin to be worth it.

We unpack downstairs, using the closet there and bring stuff upstairs as we need it.

26 minutes ago, ATG said:

I can’t remember which ship, but we loved the large walk-in shower.  I believe some newer ships have a tub instead.

Oasis and Allure have two person walk in rain showers upstairs  - the newer ships have a tub upstairs,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watch your step when you come down the stairs. The last step ends on a landing one step above the floor. If you’re not paying attention, you think you’re on the floor but the next step is a drop off to the floor. I almost fell before realizing this and my wife did fall.  
Other than that and straining my back lugging the suitcases upstairs, the cabin was awesome.  

See pic:

image.thumb.jpeg.d3d587d26c61e0a68cf2ccd0550b1970.jpeg

Edited by HicksRA
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I am not a fan of stairs due to leg surgery, but I have stairs at home so why not have them on vacation too? 🤷‍♀️ I really didn't have an issue with the depth or width of the stairs, I thought I would!! 

We unpackaged, brought the clothes upstairs, and left the luggage downstairs. Our Room Attendant asked if we wanted her to store our luggage under the bed (My DH was recovering from wrist surgery) We didn't see the need. It was just the two of us and the luggage was not in the way at all. 

We did move them behind the chairs, but even where it is in the pic, it wasn't in our way

20210821_144341.jpg

• Like 2

They are a flight of stairs.  Really going out on a limb here -  If unable to traverse a flight of stairs, a CL would not be a great choice for a room, as they have stairs (unless able to book accessible room). That includes getting luggage up/down in some way/shape/form.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We had no issues with the stairs in a CLS.  Our cabin steward offered to carry the bags up and down for us.  My DH actually carried one and the steward the other.  I know there is an accessible CLS on Oasis, not sure if the other Oasis class ships have one.  There is an elevator in the cabin and the bathroom on the first level is fully accessible.

Looks like Oasis class up to Symphony have it and Wonder does not.  I'd imagine it has to do with deck 17 being completely reconfigured in the design for Wonder.

14 minutes ago, compuryan said:

Looks like Oasis class up to Symphony have it and Wonder does not.  I'd imagine it has to do with deck 17 being completely reconfigured in the design for Wonder.

Deck 17 are all GS on Wonder. CLS 1852 on Wonder has an elevator. The larger problem on Wonder is that there are only 8 CLS on Wonder as opposed to ~30 on other Oasis class ships

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, RFerrington said:

We are not particular fans of the CLS due to the stairs and smallish balcony.  I agree with @torpeedo and prefer the OS to the CLS.  I do, however, like being on the 17th floor, in general.  Trade-off, to be sure !

Also having two full bathrooms in the CLS is very nice, especially when our son is cruising with us.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Deck 17 are all GS on Wonder. CLS 1852 on Wonder has an elevator. The larger problem on Wonder is that there are only 8 CLS on Wonder as opposed to ~30 on other Oasis class ships

You're right.  I forgot to check one deck higher.

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Indeed when they scratched Allure for her westbound TA last year, they subbed Wonder.  Great call for us, since our GS was now on deck 17. 🤗  But most pax booked in CLS cabins on original Allure  TA, were kicked out.  

Loved that deck location for our favorite choice of cabins, being the GS.  And have same cabin again for B2B next month. 🙂 

56 minutes ago, island lady said:

Indeed when they scratched Allure for her westbound TA last year, they subbed Wonder.  Great call for us, since our GS was now on deck 17. 🤗  But most pax booked in CLS cabins on original Allure  TA, were kicked out.  

Loved that deck location for our favorite choice of cabins, being the GS.  And have same cabin again for B2B next month. 🙂 

Would prefer the GS location on Wonder as well. Probably the most convenient location to all of the suite benefits. Unfortunately, we are fully booked in GS on other ships through April 2025, and by the time we will be able to book for the 2025-2026 season, the options out of PC really don't look like they will do anything for us. We will probably start booking further down the coast in FLL or Miami, or just concentrate on booking more unique B2B combos on smaller ships.

21 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Would prefer the GS location on Wonder as well. Probably the most convenient location to all of the suite benefits. Unfortunately, we are fully booked in GS on other ships through April 2025, and by the time we will be able to book for the 2025-2026 season, the options out of PC really don't look like they will do anything for us. We will probably start booking further down the coast in FLL or Miami, or just concentrate on booking more unique B2B combos on smaller ships.

Unfortunately, with so many changes with RCI now...and not being in our favor...I have started booking with other lines.  Viking taking the bulk of my new bookings.  

But as long as the Wonder is still in PC, we will continue to book with her due to loving the GS set up and being only 25 minutes to the port.  🙂